Rush

some-guy

Hooray! Welcome to the conversation! Is that "CSL", as in "Chocolate Sith Lord"? (Just trying to keep everyone straight.) :)

I'm glad you love S&A, too. Reading some of the posts at one of the RUSH board (Counterparts), I was really surprised at how many people didn't like it. You'll enjoy becoming an expert, I'm sure. That's one nice thing about getting into a band that's been around awhile - you don't need to wait for a new album to be released to hear music that's new to you. What albums do you have? What era/albums do you seem to enjoy the most? Have you ever seen them live?

If you haven't already, check out the rest of the thread. Somewhere in here I know we talked about some other places where you can DL some live & rare stuff. After all, you can never have too much RUSH! B-)

Welcome CSL.

As you may already know Rush kciked off their 08 tour in Puerto Rico last night and I thought I'd share the setlist. I put it as a spoiler encase someone plans to see them and doesnt want to know the songs.

Limelight

Digital Man

Ghost Of A Chance

Mission

Freewill

The Main Monkey Business

The Larger Bowl (video intro)

Red Barchetta

The Trees

Between The Wheels

Dreamline

INTERMISSION

Far Cry (video intro)

Workin' Them Angels

Armor and Sword

Spindrift

The Way The Wind Blows

Subdivisions

Natural Science

Witch Hunt

Malignant Narcissism (drum solo)

Hope

The Spirit Of Radio

2112 (overture/the temples of syrinx)

Tom Sawyer (south park intro)

ENCORE

One Little Victory

A Passage To Bangkok

YYZ

I'm loving the setlist. I will get to see some real classics that I didn't get to last time. Red Barchetta (y) The Trees (y) (y) 2112 (y) (y) (y) w00t!

Dart Lohr - Yeah, I was Chocolate Sith Lord back in the day. I've been gone a few years and just now decided to pop back in. Actually, I've just recently completed their studio discography, but I still only have about half their live albums (Exit... Stage Left, Rush in Rio, and the R30 bonus discs). I haven't had them all long enough to really get familiar with them, though, so as I listen to them more, I figure I'll be able to make better judgments on which ones are my favorites. Off the top of my head, I'd probably say that their mid- to late-80s period is my favorite (Permanent Waves through Signals or maybe GUP), followed closely by their recent stuff (S&A and to a lesser extent Vapor Trails)

Sadly, I haven't seen them live yet, but I'm praying for the chance to catch them this year sometime. That setlist from Puerto Rico looks pretty kickass.

So, who has the new album? I'm on my second listen right now, which should give me a better impression, as it's on headphones in a quiet room - not on the stereo with a screaming 2-year old and newborn in the room! (Yep, Alexis was born Sunday and came home today! :) ) So far, I like everything and I obviously love the number of songs we haven't had before on the official live releases. I'm listening to Niel's solo right now, De Slagwerker. I love that's he's gone in some new directions on this one. I'm sure I'll have to listen to it a couple more times tonight before I start to get any real opinion about it, though.

What I wish I hadn't listened to is all the talk on the damn Counterparts board. For over a month, people have been griping about how slow RUSH is playing songs live these days. It all started when the live "Workin' Them Angles" leaked as the first single. I actually used my Zen organizer to analyze the BPM's on it and the studio version a few weeks ago and they were only off by like 3-4bpm. However, so many people have continued to bitch about the subject, that it's been impossible not catch some of it. And so now I think I was more acutely aware of it when I put the album on, because I couldn't help but notice it. The thing is, I know that if there are songs that have a slower tempo, I'm sure they're all minor differences (like "Angles" is). I just wish I had heard the album a few times before I read any of their complaints, so that I would've had the chance to form an uninfluenced impression. This is the exact reason why I usually avoid reviews before buying an album or seeing a movie - people suck! :p

FREE RUSH BOOT (ST. LOUIS - 1980) HERE!!!

I found it at Counterparts last night. Eighteen tracks (individually linked, which is great for us dialup folk; already titled, which is great for us lazy folk!), great sound quality, and free: what more could you reasonably ask for?!? It probably's only going to be there for a limited time, so if you don't already have this, I'd grab it quick. Enjoy! B-)

I had a chance to listen to the new album today. Pretty good release. Nothing amazing, but worth it if your a big Rush fan. They new material sounds great live and I can't believe I never noticed the slow down of songs. Certain songs like Between The Wheels and Circumstances really stand out as too slow. But I really never noticed any of this when I was there live and I probably won't this time either so I'm not gonna worry about it. A good 07 tour souvenir . Now I wanna see that DVD!

I'm currently on my 3rd listen (I think) to the new live set, and I really like it. It still amazes me how tight these guys are so far into their career. The new material comes across really well, I think. And the mix is great, too. Geddy's voice sounds noticeably better than it was on R30. Lerxst's playing is as great as ever. I love that Floyd Rose-equipped Les Paul - you can see it in some of the photos in the booklet. Sexy. And what can I say about Neil? Awesome. I'm also digging his new solo, there's some cool stuff in there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Presto was actually an album that I didn't take to at first, but appreciate much more now. "Scars" is a Top 10 song for me, and the album has plenty of other tasty parts (such as "Red Tide", "Show Don't Tell", and "The Pass"). The main riff for "Superconductor" is cool, but the bridge and chorus make this song the album's weakest, by far (IMO, at least).

some-guy's right about Roll The Bones, it does take more abuse than most albums. It's actually at the bottom of my list, too, just slipping below Test For Echo. Both albums are similar in that they have some songs that are good/great, but are mixed in with songs that I consider sub-par for RUSH. RTB has five such songs: "Face Up" (the best of these five, but still just ok), "Heresy" (cool drum parts from Neil, but otherwise a bit dull), "The Big Wheel", "Neurotica", and "You Bet Your Life". The last three all suffer from the same problem: a poor chorus. "The Big Wheel" isn't horrible, just a bit too poppy-sweet for me. The last two, though, are the only times I've ever been tempted use the word "bad" when talking about a RUSH song.

Well, except for "Dog Years", my least favorite RUSH song, which should have been an instrumental (in which case, it would've been great)! :shrug:

I don't get why people don't like Dog Years. :lol: T4E IS a very good album IMO. It's got the title track Test For Echo, Driven, Half The World, Dog Years, Virtuality and Resist.

RTB has Dreamline, Bravado and Where's My Thing but other than that I don't find alot of pleasure listening to that album.

Hey, guess what! ANOTHER FREE BOOTLEG!!! B-)

From Counterparts board...

I wanted to mention this in the open forum so everyone who may not normally check the thread can download the show for Sunday. If you are attending or even think you might, please click this link to download the tracks from "Nuts and Bolts". It's a full Counterparts Tour show, live from Madison, WI. Board boot, btw, and the sound is very good.

Here's the link:

http://tinyurl.com/4ppwp9

Enjoy! http://www.rushmessageboard.com/cpmb/style_emoticons/default/2112starman.gif

Awesome. Great quality. Thanks.

I got in email in my inbox with the subject Tixs today, apparently my tickets got skipped earlier, that is always good news.

BTW, do you understand the whole bootleg scene? I don't get it people make forum posts with no download links? Are we supposed to be trading in order to receive a CD? I just don't get it :shrug:

I'm looking forward to getting a Toronto bootleg since I'm sure it will get recorded.

Rock Band: Moving Pictures to be made available for download

Posted at 10:36AM | comments (6)

As most Rush fans know already, the popular video game Rock Band included Tom Sawyer as one of its featured tracks, with Limelight and Working Man later released for download. Harmonix Music Systems released a software update in March for the game which included an in-game music store. Since then they've made 3 full albums available for download in the store, the latest being the Pixies' Doolittle. The latest issue of Game Informer magazine (July 2008) reports in their Loose Talk section that the next album slated for release will be Rush's Moving Pictures! The big question then is whether these will be the master tracks or cover versions; all the Rush tracks released thus far have been covers. Thanks to Doug B for the heads up.

Very excited about this!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.