Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Reading Contest #1

103 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
We'll see if it was when the results come out. :devil:

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,954 posts

S***!! I picked the wrong one! Here's why.

It's the quietest sounds that have most effect on us, not the loudest. In the middle of the night, I can hear a dripping tap a hundred yards away through three closed doors. I've been hearing little creaking noises and sounds which my imagination turns into footsteps in the middle of the night for twenty-five years in our house. How come I never hear those sounds in the daytime?

It didn't sound like an exaggeration as much as it was "sounds that didn't exist". Kim's mad at me now. :(

I completely understand how you got that. But "turns" implies that something was there to begin with...then altered.

Dangeresque

Dangeresque

is singing in the rain.

• Banned Users
  • 3,513 posts

We'll see if it was when the results come out. :devil:

you will not psych me out, sir.
you will be punished by your attempts!

go to the cantina!

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
I'm hesitant to PM the answers 'cause I'm not 100% sure about #2, but I don't think Undome will be online for a while...

Dangeresque

Dangeresque

is singing in the rain.

• Banned Users
  • 3,513 posts
it's santa.

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
you're hilarious. really.

and ehh **** it. PM sent.

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

Cotton-Headed Ninny Muggins

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
Sent!

bonnie13

bonnie13

A Matter of Time

• Members
  • 28,793 posts
Sent last night

HANFAN

HANFAN

Bottoms Up!

• Members
  • 11,419 posts
I'm probably too late, but sent anyways.

I'm going to tag Icy to cover any questions for the weekend. Unless something is posted before 5pm, I don't have internet access except at work. So I'll be back Monday morning.

Edited by HANFAN, 06 April 2007 - 06:29 AM.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,627 posts
Hey, thanks for catching the first two, Hanfan! I'll be around for the weekend :)

Um, SD? Can you please update which task has been posted in the subtitle of the thread? I wasn't even going to look in here since it was listed as task 1, until I saw the post numbers :blush:

HANFAN

HANFAN

Bottoms Up!

• Members
  • 11,419 posts
Woo! Team Discovery Channel! Yeah! *High fives Icy*

Um, yeah. :blush:

Nixie

Nixie

showing all my haters love

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
this is really cool so far! :) wish i had been around to play. :(

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
The correct answers were:

"A man is known by the company he keeps."

Ice cream man

Therefore, the four teams surviving the second round (in order of submission) are:

Cerina and Danger

Bonnie and (pending Bonnie's approval) Jedi Jami

Dave Dark and Undome

Copper and Kung Fu Jawa

Congrats guys! The third task will be up in a little while. :P

(Hanfan and Icy, you guys were correct but you were an hour and twenty minutes behind Copper and Kung Fu Jawa so you just missed the cut)

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Thank you, Carl!! I'm glad you were on :P

When's the next one, hmmm?

HANFAN

HANFAN

Bottoms Up!

• Members
  • 11,419 posts
Drat, I thought that might be the case though.

So to clarify - since we missed the cut, does that knock us out of the competition completely or are we in for the duration and it gets scored at the end?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
You guys are out, but feel free to continue to play along and PM me your answers if you want to. This particular round is only for smarty pants so get your answers in so you can laugh at people who fail at it. :D

still too easy.

Very well, you asked for it. :devil:

Since reading comprehension is a big part of any reading test, there will be no elaboration on any of the following instructions. There is enough information in each case for you to get the correct answer.

1) The names of three famous cheeses are “interlettered” in the following line. All the letters are in the correct order for each word. Unscramble your cheeses.

RLCOIMHQBEUUDERDFOGERRATR

2) One letter, a different letter from each word, has been removed from each of the following words. At least three of that letter are missing in each one. Replace the missing letter to find the words. (they are individual words and do not make up a sentence)

ILIN

HAERAN

ILLOARE

3)

But man is not destined to vanish. He can be killed, but he cannot be destroyed, because his soul is deathless and his spirit is irrepressible. Therefore, though the situation seems dark in the context of the confrontation between the superpowers, the silver lining is provided by amazing phenomenon that the very nations which have spent incalculable resources and energy for the production of deadly weapons are desperately trying to find out how they might never be used. They threaten each other, intimidate each other and go to the brink, but before the total hour arrives they withdraw from the brink.

The main point from the author's view is that:

A) Man's soul and spirit can not be destroyed by superpowers.
B )Man's destiny is not fully clear or visible.
C) Man's soul and spirit are immortal.
D) Man's safety is assured by the delicate balance of power in terms of nuclear weapons.
E) Human society will survive despite the serious threat of total annihilation.

The first two teams to submit all three correct answers will advance to the final round. If no two teams get all the answers correct, the advancing teams will be the ones with the most correct answers. If there is a tie, the team that submitted their answers the quickest will advance.

Due to the more complex nature of this Task, the deadline for this round will be 48 hours.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,954 posts
Well...damn.

Ok sent.

HANFAN

HANFAN

Bottoms Up!

• Members
  • 11,419 posts
:lol: I'm so glad I'm out. I suck so horribly at unscrambling words, it's not even funny. My brain just doesn't work that way.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,954 posts
They're not technically scrambled.

Ok...the more I look at this...the more convinced I am that the words I sent in aren't actually words. But I cannot for the life of me make anything else fit.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,627 posts

:lol: I'm so glad I'm out. I suck so horribly at unscrambling words, it's not even funny. My brain just doesn't work that way.

Yeah, I'm totally the same.

Team Discovery Channel still rules, tho! :P

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
You guys do rule! I hope you come back for the next one. :P

So I'm curious, since Cerina has submitted first each time (and done a pretty good job of it). Do you and Danger discuss these before one of you submits or are you a team of two lone wolves?

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

Cotton-Headed Ninny Muggins

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
SENT!

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,954 posts

You guys do rule! I hope you come back for the next one. :P

So I'm curious, since Cerina has submitted first each time (and done a pretty good job of it). Do you and Danger discuss these before one of you submits or are you a team of two lone wolves?

God no...I hate that guy. Haven't you noticed that we're not nice to each other.

Actually, we've agreed that whoever sees it first is to answer first. We're both a hell of a lot more intelligent than we're usually given credit for...so it's a team of total trust.

And...I might have told him that he wouldn't have to do anything...I just needed a buddy.

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts
dammit, i'm stuck on the second two on the second question. i've done everything else... :hmm:

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts

SENT!

Not to my inbox it wasn't. You might want to doublecheck that before another team gets in ahead of you. :eek:

Reply to this topic