Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Reading Contest #1

103 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
The reason why partners will work best is that each task will be a timed elimination event. Only a certain number of players will survive each round until only one team is left standing. In each task, only the first X number of people to correctly answer the question will advance, so the quicker you answer the better ... you might be left standing with no chairs left to sit in. Having a partner automatically doubles your chances of being online when the next task is posted, which is why a solo flyer would be at a disadvantage.

Method of Entry: PM your entry to me so as not to tip off other teams. Either team member may send the PM, but it counts for both team members. Only the first PM from either team member will be counted. An incorrect answer eliminates your team even if the minimum number of people failed to correctly submit an answer.

The Teams:

The following teams signed up prior to the deadline.

Copper and Kung Fu Jawa

Angylkat and Richcelt

Cerina and Danger

Hanfan and Icy

Bonnie chose to fly solo

I've assigned everyone else a partner:

Dave Dark and Undome

EOTW and Jedi Jami

CitizenGirl and UK Legend Killa

Prize: The winning team will select the form, type, prize, and everything else surrounding the next Book Club contest, a contest I will take part in no matter what. Here is your chance to finally punish me for all these tough (and perhaps retarded) contests. You can make me do anything you demand and mock me if I fail, even if I'm the only person who enters the contest. :devil: MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! :devil: Worth playing for? Let's do this big ole nasty thing.

Task One: Read the following paragraph and then answer the question.

A few minutes ago, walking back from lunch, I started to cross the street when I heard the sound of a coin dropping. It wasn't much but, as I turned, my eyes caught the heads of several other people turning too. A woman had dropped what appeared to be a dime.

The tinkling sound of a coin dropping on pavement is an attention-getter. It can be nothing more than a penny. Whatever the coin is, no one ignores the sound of it. It got me thinking about sounds again.

We are besieged by so many sounds that attract the most attention. People in New York City seldom turn to look when a fire engine, a police car or an ambulance comes screaming along the street.

When I'm in New York, I'm a New Yorker. I don't turn either. Like the natives. I hardly hear a siren there.

At home in my little town in Connecticut, it's different. The distant wail of a police car, an emergency vehicle or a fire siren brings me to my feet if I'm seated and brings me to the window if I'm in bed.

It's the quietest sounds that have most effect on us, not the loudest. In the middle of the night, I can hear a dripping tap a hundred yards away through three closed doors. I've been hearing little creaking noises and sounds which my imagination turns into footsteps in the middle of the night for twenty-five years in our house. How come I never hear those sounds in the daytime?

I'm quite clear in my mind what the good sounds are and what the bad sounds are.

I've turned against whistling, for instance. I used to think of it as the mark of a happy worker but lately I've been associating the whistler with a nervous person making compulsive noises.

The tapping, tapping, tapping of my typewriter as the keys hit the paper is a lovely sound to me. I often like the sound of what I write better than the looks of it.

Question: How does the author relate to sounds at night?

1) He imagines sounds that do not exist.
2) He exaggerates quiet sounds.
3) He thinks taps should be turned off.
4) He believes it's rather quiet at night.

Limit: The first 6 teams to answer the question correctly will advance.

Ready, set, go!

Edited by ShadowDog, 06 April 2007 - 01:17 PM.

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
Undome's not around as far as I can tell, and I'm pretty confident so I guess I'll take this one...

also, thank god for drastically different timezones. MUAHAHAHA.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Yes, to finally answer your question, different time zones would be very helpful in this contest. :pimp:

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
PM sent. Carl won't be online tonight.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
One thing I forgot to mention, there should be a time limit in case both members of a team vanish from Nightly for a long period of time and cause everyone else to have to wait around for days in the event the minimum number hasn't been reached. Therefore, I think 24 hours is a fair maximum time limit.

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
Sent ours too.

bonnie13

bonnie13

A Matter of Time

• Members
  • 28,793 posts
Sent my team's one

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 30,013 posts
:lol: If being online contstantly is important here...man.

HANFAN

HANFAN

Bottoms Up!

• Members
  • 11,419 posts
Answer to question #1 sent.

Jedi Jami

Jedi Jami

YOU were ok, WE were kick ass!

• Members
  • 8,899 posts
I am extremely sorry Bonnie and everyone else! Bonnie is MY partner! I just... haven't been around to remember I entered this thing... Did I **** everything up too badly? :( OR CAN I STILL BE BONNIE'S PARTNER????

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
I guess that's up to Bonnie, but I don't care either way.

Five correct answers are in, so we're down to one open slot left! Step right up!

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

Cotton-Headed Ninny Muggins

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
Who wrote the passage?

Ps.. thanks to Copper for sending our answer!

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
No problemo buddy. :)

Dangeresque

Dangeresque

is singing in the rain.

• Banned Users
  • 3,513 posts
aw man.....some of us can only be on nightly at NIGHT.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
The correct answer was 2) He exaggerates quiet sounds.

Therefore, the teams surviving the first round are:

Copper and Kung Fu Jawa

Cerina and Danger

Hanfan and Icy

Bonnie and (pending Bonnie's approval) Jedi Jami

Dave Dark and Undome

CitizenGirl and UK Legend Killa

Congrats guys! The second task will be up in a little while. :P

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
S***!! I picked the wrong one! Here's why.

It's the quietest sounds that have most effect on us, not the loudest. In the middle of the night, I can hear a dripping tap a hundred yards away through three closed doors. I've been hearing little creaking noises and sounds which my imagination turns into footsteps in the middle of the night for twenty-five years in our house. How come I never hear those sounds in the daytime?

It didn't sound like an exaggeration as much as it was "sounds that didn't exist". Kim's mad at me now. :(

Dangeresque

Dangeresque

is singing in the rain.

• Banned Users
  • 3,513 posts
no soup for you

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 30,013 posts
These questions better get progressively harder. I want SAT quality here DEXTERRRRRR

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
That's the kind of comment, Cerina, that will really come back to bite you in the ass if you end up losing. :pimp:

Dangeresque

Dangeresque

is singing in the rain.

• Banned Users
  • 3,513 posts
reese, you're a texan. you only know how to shoot a gun and drink.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 30,013 posts
I got a 700 on my SAT verbal when I took it, thank you.

Dangeresque

Dangeresque

is singing in the rain.

• Banned Users
  • 3,513 posts
yeah, back when jesus went to school with you.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Since I've gotten multiple complaints about Task 1 being too easy, let's liven it up with two questions this time. :P

The first four teams to submit 2 correct answers will advance. If not enough teams have both answers correct before the deadline (24 hours from this post) then the first team to submit one correct answer will advance and so on.

Task 2:

Question #1

Which of the following proverbs is closest in meaning to the saying, "Birds of a feather, flock together."?

"One swallow doesn"t make a summer."
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
"A man is known by the company he keeps."
"Fine feathers make fine birds."
"Don"t judge a book by its cover."

Question #2

You will know that I am coming
From the jingle of my bell,
But exactly who I am is not an easy thing to tell.

Children, they adore me
for they find me jolly,
but I do not see them when the halls are decked with holly.

My job often leaves me frozen,
I am a man that all should know,
But I do not do business in times of sleet or ice or snow.

I travel much on business,
But no reindeer haul me around,
I do all my traveling firmly on the ground.

I love the time of Christmas,
But that's not my vocational season,
And I assure that is because of a sound economic reason.

What is his job?

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 30,013 posts
Done and done.

Though that second one stumped me at first. Then I reread it.

Dangeresque

Dangeresque

is singing in the rain.

• Banned Users
  • 3,513 posts
still too easy.

Reply to this topic