Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Chasing the Sun"

8 replies to this topic

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
"Chasing the Sun"

Deleted

Edited by Richcelt, 16 August 2012 - 07:22 AM.

bonnie13

bonnie13

A Matter of Time

• Members
  • 28,793 posts
I have been to Edwards to watch a Space Shuttle land, and your story made me homesick for CA and to see Antelope Valley. The story also reminded me of Yeager of whom you mention.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Wonderful job Richcelt, you had me at "chasing the sun". I especially enjoyed how you began the story in the bar and ended it there. There's a sense of fullfillment in that.

HANFAN

HANFAN

Bottoms Up!

• Members
  • 11,419 posts
Oh, that was good...

Nixie

Nixie

showing all my haters love

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
very good! :) i love the dialogue and it feels so real

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Wow, this kicked ass! :thumbsup: How much research did you do for this? That is always something I'm very weak on. I'd rather just write so I tend to make a lot of stuff up. But this has a more real feel to it.

Jon went away and then returned with the box. Bobby rummaged around inside until he found what he wanted; a ratchet. He found the socket for the latch bolt and worked the ratchet to loosen the bolt.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Jon asked.

This ^ sequence made me laugh. I think I was with Jon at this point, I mean WTF? :lol: Let's loosen up the freaking plane before flying it. :lol:

Really good story! I think this is going to be another really close contest!

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts

How much research did you do for this?

Actually, quite a bit. I already had this idea for the story a good week or so before you announced this contest, so I was already researching some of the information used. Your topic choice, as I mentioned, fit perfectly with this story idea, so I went with it.

I got the idea from the phrase "Chasing the sun", and began from there. I remembered a TV movie about a Concorde where the pilot mentioned that if they went fast enough west, the sun would never set. So I had to research just HOW fast that would be. Then it hit me to kill off the pilot, and the most logical choice was to make him a test pilot during the late '40s (Chuck Yeager's era). So I then had to look up what planes were used, how they were designed, how fast Yeager went, how fast would the X-1 go, and various things like that. I pulled the bar from The Right Stuff movie (it's supposed to be the same one). I pulled a lot from my memory of that movie in fact, and had to research what I'd forgotten or what they'd left out.

My big problem was how to kill him off. It had to be something that HE did to cause the plane to disintegrate. I came up with loosening the canopy, but through the reserch discovered that the X-1 didn't have a canopy like you see on most fighter planes, but a door in the right (starboard) side of the plane. So I had to look at the plane's design some to see if it was even possible... and made up the rest. In reality, I'm not even sure if what Bobby did would have been enough to take off that door, but... :shrug:

Glad you enjoyed. :D

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

Cotton-Headed Ninny Muggins

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
That's an amazing amount of work you put into this, and it really shows in the piece. It reads as if it were an actuall event. I was just about to google the names you used. It did have a "Right Stuff" feel to it, and that's a good thing.

LadyGuinevere

LadyGuinevere

Taking on the world with an innocent smile

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
There's an absolutely phenomenal amount of detail in this piece, even for one you had an idea for before the contest came around. I'm in total awe of the research you put into it :) The way you wrote it, it could so easily have been a real event (I also nearly went looking for it).

Reply to this topic