Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I Want To Go

8 replies to this topic

bonnie13

bonnie13

A Matter of Time

• Members
  • 28,793 posts
Grandma was sitting opposite me at the dinner table. She is gawking at me again while I am eating my dinner. Oh, how I hate it when she stares at me like that. As a family, we do not talk while we are eating. I have been over to a friend's home and noticed that they talked, so I am not sure why our family does not talk. It is only after the meal and the dishes are cleared that we talk. Or rather they talk. I have been told that. "Children should be seen and not heard." Okay, if that is the case why should I even be there at all then? I had asked mama this and she convinced grandma and papa that it was okay if I left the dinner table when I was through. That was the object I was working towards on this meal.

Oh how I wanted to travel and do things. Mama and especially papa did not want me going places. I would hear from grandma how my cousin would travel places, but when I mentioned something about traveling, all I would get was "When you are older." Even friends at school would brag about their travels. I just hated it. And I wanted to go somewhere and do something by myself.

A few more bites and I will be finished. I had something I wanted to accomplish. I excused myself then made my way to the back door. I carefully got the spare key, without making any noise. I opened the door and went east and around the side and up to the front house where grandma lived at. I had learned that I could get the screen door open if I pushed up on it in a certain way. It would remain locked, but would open up. I inserted the key, and opened the front door. I made my way to the window, making sure that grandma was still sitting in the window. Yep. She was still there. I then went into her bedroom and over the dresser and opened the bottom drawer. She had put her social security money in an envelope below some clothes. I found it, and withdrew four twenty dollar bills and stuffed the bills down in my bra, then put the envelope back. It would be enough to pay for what I wanted to purchase and then some. I looked out the window again to make sure that she was in the same spot. She was.

I made my way back out and locked to door, making sure the screen was also in the same place as I found it. I then walked back to the back of our house, then back in where I put the key back in its place. Dad had not finished eating yet, and I passed by and went to my room. I thought about what I would do tomorrow. I would call the admissions office at school and state that I was sick. I would go to the airport and catch the bus to Disneyland. The schedule showed that I could get back in time. No one would know about it. I wanted to go somewhere and do something all by myself. I don't care if I cheated grandma out of some money.

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
Hmmm... Interesting story. Well done. It seems as if there should be more to it though. (you've still got time :D )

Good job. :thumbsup:

Jedi Jami

Jedi Jami

YOU were ok, WE were kick ass!

• Members
  • 8,899 posts
Great job Bonnie!

So... is any of this autobiographical? ;)

bonnie13

bonnie13

A Matter of Time

• Members
  • 28,793 posts

So... is any of this autobiographical? ;)

Oh, you caught me. It sure is with a particular situation combined. I was trying to capture what I was feeling at that time. This would be my sophmore year of high school. As I got older, I was able to let go of the anger that I felt as a teen.

Ven Halcyon

Ven Halcyon

King of the Nerds

• Members
  • 10,940 posts
Shoot the thieving little goit, ;) String her up!

LadyGuinevere

LadyGuinevere

Taking on the world with an innocent smile

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
I agree, it feels like there should be some more to it :) Nice little story though.

Occassionally it seems to slip tenses though... or am I reading it funny?

bonnie13

bonnie13

A Matter of Time

• Members
  • 28,793 posts

Occassionally it seems to slip tenses though... or am I reading it funny?

I think were that occured when there was an explanation for something...this happened because type of thing.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
I liked it. Again, like I was saying with Richcelt, a story is very well drawn when it inspires an emotional response from me. In this case I was angry at the parents because they must have put her through hell in order for her to go to those extremes. Don't get me wrong, I still think she was wrong (though I wouldn't go to Ven's extreme) but I can definitely relate to wanting to do something by myself.

Good story!

Nixie

Nixie

showing all my haters love

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
good one. i wouldnt have the nerve in a million years. :angel: and she shoyuldnt be strung up! it was explained!

Reply to this topic