Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Dark Knight

1872 replies to this topic

Stevil

Stevil

TK421

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
Bought this on Blu-Ray.

Thought it was a good movie. Didn't get the whole "performance" hype for Ledger. I thought he was very good but I felt disconnected from the Joker for most of the film with a bigger focus on Bale and Harvey Dent. If I'm honest, I thought that Nicholson's Joker was better. The Joker from TDK seemed to be just a psychopath and I realise that they tried to portray him with a sick sense of humour but I didn't find it funny. I couldn't laugh along with him. I felt he was best alone on screen in his more solitary and one-on-one moments and didn't really come across well in crowded scenes like in Wayne's Appartment. He just didn't carry it off for me. No great presence. He was probably hampered by not having a great deal of screen time. He comes 4th after Wayne, Dent and Gordon if you don't get what I mean. His goons just seemed to follow him blindly as well. They were just 'there' for most of the movie and this added to my "disconnection". The joker seemed to plan things to the Nth degree and it was fun watching Batman unravel it all. Yet there was no evidence of any planning. We just got to see the end result. I felt showing how he came up with one of his crazy ideas would have added value to his character. The Joker went down like a punk at the end as well. Getting strung up by Batman. I imagine they were hoping to bring him back at some point.

Bale is still the ugliest A-List actor in Hollywood but does a very good Batman. The first Batman appealed to me because they distanced him from being a superhero and they took time to explain that he can fight well because he is trained and the gadgets he possesses are not just the product of his massive wealth but that he has them made and designed. They managed to show Batman as vulnerable again by making him prone to dog attacks. My criticism here is that I felt that they felt they'd done all of the hard work here and could just gloss over it in this film by labelling stuff as "R&D". I still enjoy the non-super-hero realism though.

Harvey Dent's turn was difficult for me. I understand his loss when Rachel dies. But, for most of the film he was whiter than white and had a pure sense of justice and duty. For him to start flipping coins to decide peoples lives is a massive leap for me. And people said Anakin's turn was unbelievable! It was difficult for me to understand him being heralded as a hero. In my country people generally hate lawyers. I don't know about yours. But at the same time he was very likeable, but that's probably why I can't see him falling like that.

The Batmobile was criminally underused in this one before it was blown up. The Bat-Lamborghini was just lame. The Bat Cycle was a good idea but it didn't look good did it? To me it was a fork with a wheel at either end.

The best performance for me was Gary Oldman as the ever-likeable Gordon. The character adds so much value to Batman and the fact that he's hands-on makes him really intense. Gordon is a hero and definitely someone you can relate to. Freeman and Caine get honourable mentions for bringing what they bring to any movie.

I'd watch The Dark Knight again definately although it is unusual that I can be so critical of a film. I'd give it 7.5/10.

Darth Dude

Darth Dude

terminal crazy

• Members
  • 13,972 posts
The vehicles in these movies are among the worst in cinema history. The Bat-Tank looks like a Tonka truck, and the Bat-Bike is just as crap. Whos in charge of designing this ****?

I loved Heaths Joker, but you are right about him fading away in the multi-human scenes. It seemed, to me, that Jacks Joker had a more imposing presence in that movie, maybe because Two-Face wasn't taking his screen time.

This movie was MUCH better than Batman Begins, which was mediorce at best.

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• Members
  • 11,651 posts

The Bat-Lamborghini was just lame

WHAT?!?

It was just a standard Lamborghini.

Stevil

Stevil

TK421

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
Yeah I know :) Still lame.

ETAndElliot4Ever

ETAndElliot4Ever

Extra-Terrestrial

• Members
  • 2,181 posts
Posted Image

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,569 posts
I have noticed something. I have seen the move 4 or 5 times now. Was the word Joker mentioned once? I never heard it. I heard him called the clown several times and saw the Joker card but never heard 'Joker' mentioned.

Guest_mateoboz_*

Guest_mateoboz_*
  • Guests
The word "Joker" was used several times. The thugs in the van at the very beginning. "I know why they call him the Joker." Dent in the limo near the end. "The Joker's just a mad dog." Batman at the end. "But the Joker can't win." I'm pretty sure Bruce Wayne says it at some point. That word was used several times in the film.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,941 posts
At the beginning of his press conference Dent says "First off I want everyone to know everything that can be done about the JOKER killings is being done."

The word Joker is used a ton in the movie, that guy I guess isnt paying attention.

ETAndElliot4Ever

ETAndElliot4Ever

Extra-Terrestrial

• Members
  • 2,181 posts
He was paying attention, I guess none of that dialogue was memorable.

"Jack? Jack is dead, my friend. You can call me...JOKER."

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,119 posts
It was probably used once every 5 minutes :hmm:

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,569 posts
Maybe I am going senile.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,941 posts
The term "Joker" is used 5 times in the opening bank robbery sequence alone.

1-One of the clowns says "he thinks he can sit it out and still take a cute, I know why they call him the Joker."

2-One of the clowns on the roof says "So why do they call him the Joker."

3-One of the clowns in the safe room "I guess the Joker really is as crazy as they say."

4-One of the clowns back in the lobby "Im guessing the Joker told you to kill me."

5-Again one of the clowns as hes bringing the cash into the lobby says "If this Joker guy was so smart he'd have told us to bring a bigger car."

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Congratulations, Heath. You truly deserved it. :)

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,119 posts
Indeed. Anyone who says he only won because he died is kidding themselves. If he were still here he'd have been up there with trophy in hand, probably giving a very understated and quiet speech, only to get hammered at the after party.

But the lack of other nominations for the film was a travesty.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 19,133 posts
^I absolutely agree with that. I still cannot fathom how a movie makes over $1 billion worldwide (I have heard; over $531 million domestic - I have seen), receive tons of critic's accolades, etc. and not get nominated for Best Picture. That still bugs me, and will probably bug me for a very long time. I saw numerous '5 stars' by critics. Everywhere. Just unbelievable.

But, I was extremely happy that Heath won. Well-deserved, in my opinion.

sithlordvaderoctober

sithlordvaderoctober

• Members
  • 134 posts
When was the last time a Comic book movie or Sci-fiction movie was nominated for "Best Picture" or any of the "major nominations"

Why didn't Jack Nicholson get nominated for his role as the Joker?

He played the Joker first and he played it to a tee.Jack did his homework on this character He brought the Joker to life and a way thats is also "a dark-version but still a comic book fanasty.This character is not who plays him but how to bring him alive and Jack and Heath did do a fine job. Iam a die-hard Joker fan,I read just about all of the Joker story's and I still think that there is much more to him then two movies he his the most ICONIC Villian of alltime.Alot of people say don't bring the Joker back in the 3rd film it wont be the same because of Ledger's death, the Joker never dies so bring it on........... It took 6 movies to tell the story of Darth Vader and its still not enough!!! Why not the JOker...........

Edited by sithlordvaderoctober, 24 February 2009 - 10:00 PM.

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
^I agree with all of that except The Joker being the most iconic villain of all time. That honour belongs to the man in your avatar.

Justus

Justus

• 13,058 posts

When was the last time a Comic book movie or Sci-fiction movie was nominated for "Best Picture" or any of the "major nominations"

Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and E.T. were nominated for Best Picture; Sigourney Weaver recieved a Best Actress nomination for Aliens.

However, in recent times, if you just use "fantasy" as the catch-all description for movies of the kind you mention, then Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is your answer, with its 11 Academy Awards wins, including Best Picture.

Why didn't Jack Nicholson get nominated for his role as the Joker?

Perhaps it was too much Jack being Jack instead of the Joker. If you're using the comics as a reference, IMO, he did not come off like any Joker i've ever read (decades' worth).

He played the Joker first

That distinction belongs to the late Cesar Romero, who was the first filmed Joker on TV and the 1966 movie inspired by the series.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,941 posts
Ive had the movie on DVD for a while now but obviously don't sit down to watch it all the time or anything. Now with the movie on HBO I find myself flipping to it and leaving it on for a while before flipping away or going out. And I just have to say that everytime I do flick to it I am reminded how much better it is than nearly every other movie of its kind.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts

... I just have to say that everytime I do flick to it I am reminded how much better it is than nearly every other movie of its kind.

I like Dark Knight, but everytime I see it I realize I like Donner's Superman: The Movie better.

Lord Darth Hunter

Lord Darth Hunter

Sith Lord of Crystal Lake

• 4,399 posts
I still find myself watching this movie when it plays on HBO or other premium channels. One thing I still can't figure out is in the end, when Gordon and Batman are discussing how Gotham will lose hope once they find out what Dent did as Two Face, Batman says they won't. Gordon then begins saying, "5 dead, 2 of them cops, you can't sweep..." before being interrupted by Batman. My guess is Gordon was going to say you can't cover this kind of crime up. But what I can't figure out is who are the "5 dead, 2 of them cops" that Gordon is talking about? The only people I can count that Dent killed in his Two Face rampage were Wertz and Maroni's limo driver. We are never made aware if Maroni himself survived the car crash either. Besides, at this point in the film Gordon still wouldn't know about these killings anyway.

Edited by Lord Darth Hunter, 06 April 2010 - 10:39 AM.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 19,133 posts
I find myself wondering about this, too. He killed Wertz in the bar, but only knocked out Ramirez. So, what other cop was killed?

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Maybe they're considering the cop that The Joker shot at the hospital? That's what I assumed but then the hospital had been blown away earlier in the day. :shrug:

Reply to this topic