Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Dark Knight

• Please log in to reply
1872 replies to this topic

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
I've never heard of Michael Keaton coming onto the set before.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Hmmm. Apparently, it did happen.

And, no, Michael Keaton isn't anywhere on the DVD.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Oh, wait... I had heard about that. And no ET, nothing has come up. To be honest, I was disappointed with the special features on this release. Not as comprehensive as the release for Batman Begins.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Yeah. You'd think there could at least be a Heath Ledger tribute and/or featurettes on the history of the Joker and Two-Face, but...nothing. Oh well...it's worth owning for the movie alone. I'm just glad to have it and to be able to watch it any time I want. The wait was excruciating. :D

If there's a Special Edition release, I'll be first in line to pick it up. Damn you, Warner Bros.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
If it somehow scores a win for Best Picture, you know they'll capitalize on it at some point.

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,121 posts
It won't win Best Picture. It DOES deserve to be nominated however, not simply because of its popularity but because of its critical response. I think Ledger, Hans Zimmer/James Newton Howard and Wally Pfister (DoP) deserve gongs though.

As for the dvd, I did quite like the 'Gotham Tonight' bits, which added some background to the film and the characters. And some of the behind the scenes stuff was pretty cool, but for the most part it just seemed like a great big billboard for IMAX. Was it really necessary to waste space on the 2nd disc by showing the IMAX sequences from the film? How about just pointing those out to us as the movie goes if we choose that option? I loved what they did with the BB dvd, as well as the Box-set of the original four films and I don't see why they couldn't put something together that would measure up (cost-cutting perhaps, knowing that people will buy it no matter what). I expect a Ledger tribute on 'The Imaginarium of Dr Panassus' from Gilliam when the dvd comes out for that (although knowing Gilliam's luck, the negative will probably spontaneously combust before it's finished). But moreso I am more interested in the pre-production of the film, the writing, how they came up with using the characters in the way they did. And I wanted a commentary damnit!

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts

It won't win Best Picture.

Never say never. This is a relatively weak year and while it may not win, I don't think you can count it out. I hate using this example but it could be a Gladiator-like year and the film takes it. Without having seen it, I find it hard to believe that Slumdog Millionaire is a Best Picture frontrunner. As great as Danny Boyle is.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Got this for Christmas...and seriously, it gets better with each viewing.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 19,151 posts
I agree.

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts
I also got it for Christmas but didn't really enjoy it as much on second viewing. Not that it isn't still excellent, but it felt like a very long film second time through, and certain sections like Mr Reese and the two boats just don't work for me. The scenes on the boats inparticular, like they would seriously each take a piece of paper and write down their votes and tally them up! That part is really weak. Like I said great film still but I prefer Begins.

bychance

bychance

• Members
  • 26 posts
I got it for Christmas too. The special edition DVD was worthless. True, it was only $4 extra dollars, but it was painfully useless. I haven't rewatched it though. I don't know what it is about this movie, but I have some sort of weird obligation to 'preserve' it. I don't want to get sick of it because I love it so much. I saw the movie in the theater twice, and I don't think watching the movie on the television will even compare to how thrilling it was in the theaters. I feel sorry for those who didn't.

I mean, Brandon Routh FAILED to improve on Chris Reeve, he just simply copied.

That's what the director wanted him to do though, so you can't really blame him. Superman Returns was utterly forgettable. Smallville is more interesting than Superman Returns! There is something wrong with that. Waiting 20 years for a new Superman movie and all we got was a homage to 1978. If I wanted to watch the Donner films, I'd take it out of my DVD rack. We can move on from Christopher Reeve, please. Superman is the only fanbase that won't allow others to like other actors who don't play it like Reeve did. I'd rather watch George Reeves and Dean Cain's Clark Kent anyday. I agree that Christopher Reeve will always be the best Superman. Still, I've had enough of the 'CHRISTOPHER REEVE 4EVAARRR!!111' Its 2009, and so many fanboys are stuck in 1978. This is why the Superman franchise is in danger of dying while Batman has recently come back to life and the beginning of the Spider-Man ™ films are thriving.

And I think it's because I wasn't born until 7 years after Superman 2 but, I really don't get the love for it. It's so cheesy and ridiculous in points I actually cringe watching it (same with the ending to the first). Reeve's performance is so enthralling though that I still enjoy it. I just can't see past Lex being comic relief, one of the Kryptonians being a mute idiot and the stupid cling film symbol throw. It's in no way the best superhero film for me. I'd take Blade and the Spider-Man movies over it anytime (well maybe not 3 rolleyes.gif ).

John Shea as Lex Luthor >>> Gene Hackman.

Chris Bale FAILED to improve on Michael Keaton (in my humble Nightly Net opinion!!!)

I like them both. I prefer Keaton's Batman voice though, although Bale's is good too when he's not over doing it. I think Keaton nailed the 'I'm Batman' iconic scene whereas Bale made it too dramatic for my taste, and I have a taste for the theatrics. That aside, he totally killed the SWEAR TO ME scream. I almost choked.

Anyway, I like to see it as, Keaton is playing Bruce Wayne when he's older, aging almost, and Bale is obviously playing Bruce Wayne when he's in his prime.

I'll say it again.

Bats had to disguise his voice as Wayne is an incredibly public figure. A billionaire playboy who's always dating models, he'd be on the TV gossip shows and in the magazines every day.

But that is too, just an image. He has two disguises, really.

Stevil

Stevil

TK421

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
Bought this on Blu-Ray.

Thought it was a good movie. Didn't get the whole "performance" hype for Ledger. I thought he was very good but I felt disconnected from the Joker for most of the film with a bigger focus on Bale and Harvey Dent. If I'm honest, I thought that Nicholson's Joker was better. The Joker from TDK seemed to be just a psychopath and I realise that they tried to portray him with a sick sense of humour but I didn't find it funny. I couldn't laugh along with him. I felt he was best alone on screen in his more solitary and one-on-one moments and didn't really come across well in crowded scenes like in Wayne's Appartment. He just didn't carry it off for me. No great presence. He was probably hampered by not having a great deal of screen time. He comes 4th after Wayne, Dent and Gordon if you don't get what I mean. His goons just seemed to follow him blindly as well. They were just 'there' for most of the movie and this added to my "disconnection". The joker seemed to plan things to the Nth degree and it was fun watching Batman unravel it all. Yet there was no evidence of any planning. We just got to see the end result. I felt showing how he came up with one of his crazy ideas would have added value to his character. The Joker went down like a punk at the end as well. Getting strung up by Batman. I imagine they were hoping to bring him back at some point.

Bale is still the ugliest A-List actor in Hollywood but does a very good Batman. The first Batman appealed to me because they distanced him from being a superhero and they took time to explain that he can fight well because he is trained and the gadgets he possesses are not just the product of his massive wealth but that he has them made and designed. They managed to show Batman as vulnerable again by making him prone to dog attacks. My criticism here is that I felt that they felt they'd done all of the hard work here and could just gloss over it in this film by labelling stuff as "R&D". I still enjoy the non-super-hero realism though.

Harvey Dent's turn was difficult for me. I understand his loss when Rachel dies. But, for most of the film he was whiter than white and had a pure sense of justice and duty. For him to start flipping coins to decide peoples lives is a massive leap for me. And people said Anakin's turn was unbelievable! It was difficult for me to understand him being heralded as a hero. In my country people generally hate lawyers. I don't know about yours. But at the same time he was very likeable, but that's probably why I can't see him falling like that.

The Batmobile was criminally underused in this one before it was blown up. The Bat-Lamborghini was just lame. The Bat Cycle was a good idea but it didn't look good did it? To me it was a fork with a wheel at either end.

The best performance for me was Gary Oldman as the ever-likeable Gordon. The character adds so much value to Batman and the fact that he's hands-on makes him really intense. Gordon is a hero and definitely someone you can relate to. Freeman and Caine get honourable mentions for bringing what they bring to any movie.

I'd watch The Dark Knight again definately although it is unusual that I can be so critical of a film. I'd give it 7.5/10.

Darth Dude

Darth Dude

terminal crazy

• Members
  • 13,972 posts
The vehicles in these movies are among the worst in cinema history. The Bat-Tank looks like a Tonka truck, and the Bat-Bike is just as crap. Whos in charge of designing this ****?

I loved Heaths Joker, but you are right about him fading away in the multi-human scenes. It seemed, to me, that Jacks Joker had a more imposing presence in that movie, maybe because Two-Face wasn't taking his screen time.

This movie was MUCH better than Batman Begins, which was mediorce at best.

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• 11,652 posts

The Bat-Lamborghini was just lame

WHAT?!?

It was just a standard Lamborghini.

Stevil

Stevil

TK421

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
Yeah I know :) Still lame.

ETAndElliot4Ever

ETAndElliot4Ever

Extra-Terrestrial

• Members
  • 2,181 posts
Posted Image

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,569 posts
I have noticed something. I have seen the move 4 or 5 times now. Was the word Joker mentioned once? I never heard it. I heard him called the clown several times and saw the Joker card but never heard 'Joker' mentioned.

Guest_mateoboz_*

Guest_mateoboz_*
  • Guests
The word "Joker" was used several times. The thugs in the van at the very beginning. "I know why they call him the Joker." Dent in the limo near the end. "The Joker's just a mad dog." Batman at the end. "But the Joker can't win." I'm pretty sure Bruce Wayne says it at some point. That word was used several times in the film.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,991 posts
At the beginning of his press conference Dent says "First off I want everyone to know everything that can be done about the JOKER killings is being done."

The word Joker is used a ton in the movie, that guy I guess isnt paying attention.

ETAndElliot4Ever

ETAndElliot4Ever

Extra-Terrestrial

• Members
  • 2,181 posts
He was paying attention, I guess none of that dialogue was memorable.

"Jack? Jack is dead, my friend. You can call me...JOKER."

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,121 posts
It was probably used once every 5 minutes :hmm:

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,569 posts
Maybe I am going senile.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,991 posts
The term "Joker" is used 5 times in the opening bank robbery sequence alone.

1-One of the clowns says "he thinks he can sit it out and still take a cute, I know why they call him the Joker."

2-One of the clowns on the roof says "So why do they call him the Joker."

3-One of the clowns in the safe room "I guess the Joker really is as crazy as they say."

4-One of the clowns back in the lobby "Im guessing the Joker told you to kill me."

5-Again one of the clowns as hes bringing the cash into the lobby says "If this Joker guy was so smart he'd have told us to bring a bigger car."

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Congratulations, Heath. You truly deserved it. :)

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,121 posts
Indeed. Anyone who says he only won because he died is kidding themselves. If he were still here he'd have been up there with trophy in hand, probably giving a very understated and quiet speech, only to get hammered at the after party.

But the lack of other nominations for the film was a travesty.