Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Dark Knight

• Please log in to reply
1872 replies to this topic

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
If there is another thread for this near the top of the forum, my apologies.

But some Dark Knight news came down today. It basically says that Katie Holmes will not return and her role is being recast, and that The Penquin will not appear in the film.

"Don't get too excited Bat-fans, nothing confirmed as yet in regards to who will be playing Harvey Dent in the upcoming "Batman Begins" sequel.

Rather Latino Review has some very important pieces of casting news related to the film today, notably who will NOT be making it into the film.

First off - NO PENGUIN. The shooting draft of the script will not involve either The Penguin or his other moniker Oswald Cobblepot. For months the Penguin, in the form of a European arms dealer, has long been talked about as having a small role.

Secondly - NO KATIE HOLMES. Her character of Rachel Dawes IS in the film, but the filmmakers are now actively searching for a replacement to take on the part.

Holmes' representative tells The Wall Street Journal that "Katie was offered ["Dark Knight"] but was unable to accept the role because of scheduling conflicts. She was in the process of negotiating for another project". That project is Queen Latifah's "Mad Money".

Other minor roles in the film will include an East European mobster, an Elizabeth Pena-style Latina cop, and an Asian male accountant.

Finally - Harvey Dent is in the film but still no word on casting. At last word Jamie Foxx and Ed Norton are the latest names the filmmakers are said to be interested in for roles.

The film began pre-production two weeks ago and is on course for a March start of shooting."

Edited by Darth Spoon, 20 July 2008 - 05:59 AM.

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts

Holmes' representative tells The Wall Street Journal that "Katie was offered ["Dark Knight"] but was unable to accept the role because of scheduling conflicts. She was in the process of negotiating for another project". That project is Queen Latifah's "Mad Money".

:lol: Yes, I'd rather be in another Queen Latifah flop than the sequel to a successful superhero movie.

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
Ed Norton might be involved? That's cool, I've always enjoyed his stuff and he's a fantastic actor.

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 4,093 posts
Ugh. Recasting... I really hate recasting. Why not just scrap her character altogether and say she left Gotham or something?

Anyways, Ed Norton would be a fun Two-Face.

Macho Grande

Macho Grande

I don't think I'll ever get over myself

• Banned Users
  • 4,936 posts
I don't mind the recasting as long as she gets killed off. There's really nothing more for her character to do.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Ed Norton: Not what I picture in Harvey Dent, but is such a great actor that I wouldn't mind seeing him give it a go.

Jamie Foxx: Dear god please no.

Latina female cop? Sounds like Renee Montoya.

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,569 posts
So what Villans will be in it other then the Joker? I would like to see at least two more (one maybe that we haven't seen before.) No Penguin...alright, maybe Edward Nigma, Harley Quinn, Mad Hatter (ok that one is a strech.)

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,569 posts
One of my few gripes at Batman Begins was that it followed the trend of adding a non-canon made up femal character for the sake of having a love interest.

Anything and everything Katie's character did as a lawyer to advance the plot in BB SHOULD have been a young and ambitious Harvey dent-- just as set up. Old friends with Bruce, fighting the corruption-- would have been great.

If they HAD to have a love interest, they were set up to give batman one of his few comic loves-- Talia. As Ras Al Ghul's daughter she could have easily been part of the Hand.

Mezachhas

Mezachhas

What is left will walk again

• Members
  • 5,978 posts

Jamie Foxx: Dear god please no.

Foxx is a great actor. And let us not forget the great Negro actor Billy Dee Williams who played Harvey Dent in the first Batman films, before Tommy Lee snatched it from him.

Whitey.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

Anything and everything Katie's character did as a lawyer to advance the plot in BB SHOULD have been a young and ambitious Harvey dent-- just as set up. Old friends with Bruce, fighting the corruption-- would have been great.

If they HAD to have a love interest, they were set up to give batman one of his few comic loves-- Talia. As Ras Al Ghul's daughter she could have easily been part of the Hand.

Agreed completely. It also changes the dynamics of the script. If they hadn't needed to establish the Katie Holmes character they wouldn't have needed to weaken the Bruce Wayne character by making him a spoiled rich kid at the beginning of the movie who needed to be brow-beaten by his love interest to begin his heroic journey.

Delete the outside influence on Bruce Wayne's motives (which make no damn sense in a character that's supposed to be driven to obsession) and add in the only love interest that has ever legitimately stood on equal ground with Batman while tying him even closer to Ras al Ghul.

Oh, but Nolan understands the Batman character? Give me a break.

Lord Kami

Lord Kami

It's Only Forever

• Members
  • 67 posts

So what Villans will be in it other then the Joker? I would like to see at least two more (one maybe that we haven't seen before.) No Penguin...alright, maybe Edward Nigma, Harley Quinn, Mad Hatter (ok that one is a strech.)

It'd be interesting to see these characters. If Joker is to be in the movie I think they should add Harley too. Not only do I think it'd work well but she' not been any of the moves yet so it'd be cool to finally see her in one.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
Last time the Joker was in a movie, Harley Quinn hadn't been created yet.

Mezachhas

Mezachhas

What is left will walk again

• Members
  • 5,978 posts
But she's a good character. She'd do well on screen, especially as a foil for the old chuckle head.

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts

Ugh. Recasting... I really hate recasting. Why not just scrap her character altogether and say she left Gotham or something?

Macho Grande

Macho Grande

I don't think I'll ever get over myself

• Banned Users
  • 4,936 posts
Katie Holmes was the only thing bad about BB. Adding her just to have a love interest was nauseating. The only love interest Bats ever had that WASN'T horrble was Catwoman, but that was a moot point because everything else about Batman Returns WAS horrible.

Everything else about Batman Begins, though, was perfect.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 19,147 posts
Isn't Harley Quinn a character in the Batman Beyond world?

Darth Kcorbe

Darth Kcorbe

• Members
  • 2,588 posts

NO KATIE HOLMES. Her character of Rachel Dawes IS in the film, but the filmmakers are now actively searching for a replacement to take on the part.

i say they should just have the joker kill her.

Darth Kcorbe

Darth Kcorbe

• Members
  • 2,588 posts

no, she was the Joker's follower/girlfriend in the Batman Animated Series and i think she was in the comics as well, though I'm not very familiar with the batman comics, so i could be wrong about that.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 19,147 posts

no, she was the Joker's follower/girlfriend in the Batman Animated Series and i think she was in the comics as well, though I'm not very familiar with the batman comics, so i could be wrong about that.

Oh, she was in the animated series? I didn't know that. I never heard of her until I saw Batman Beyond. Unless, of course, I am mistaken there, and I was watching an episode of the Batman animated series. But, I could've sworn it was Batman Beyond.

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts
Harley originated in the animated series (I think she was in the Batman Beyond film Return of the Joker also, she may have been in other episodes but I never really followed Batman Beyond. TAS and BB were created by the same people) and because of her popularity was put in the comic universe as well.

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,892 posts
Well, some possible good news, Rachel McAdams is apparently in line to take up the character...

I absolutely love her!

http://www.rottentom...?entryid=397799

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
I wish it had been her from the beginning.

Spawnxlite

Spawnxlite

The One and Only

• Members
  • 1,980 posts
Rachel McAdams is a great choice. She's a good young actress who I believe will be a better character than Katie could have been.

Xensin

Xensin

I never post

• Members
  • 1,092 posts

One of my few gripes at Batman Begins was that it followed the trend of adding a non-canon made up femal character for the sake of having a love interest.

Why can't people like you make movies like these?

GO MAKE MOVIES, SETH.

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,121 posts
He's trying!