Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 8

• Please log in to reply
468 replies to this topic

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I wonder if they have plans to crossover Illyria or Gunn (at least I thought I heard somewhere its canon that he did survive the L.A. battle) at any point.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
Did a comic ever mention how they got out of that battle? Surely the four of them didn't just win.

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
I don't think any of the comics have stated exactly how they won the battle, just that they did. Gunn did survive, although they haven't said how that happened, either.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
Here is what Joss Whedon said, jokingly, about what happened after the Angel finale in a sci-fi magazine (dunno which one):

"Gunn is dead. Illyria keeps fighting. Angel loses an arm. Spike gets Shanshu. And Xander loses another eye, which is funny, because he isn't even there."

There have been comics that depict there survival, but they are strictly non-canon. I'd like to see what happens to them myself. Given that Whedon has said that Angel and Spike will appear (sparingly) in season 8, it's safe to assume they, at least, made it through the battle.

Yossarian

Yossarian

A Cracked Polystyrene Man

• Members
  • 2,324 posts
Angel & Co really should have done a better job convincing the the Slayers that they weren't evil. They could have had a Slayer army on their side in the final battle in LA then Gunn and Wesley need not have died. Although the scene when Wesley dies is amazing. God I miss that show.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
Whedon interview with GeekMonthly.com. Beware of (light) spoilers:

http://www.geekmonth...he-comics-life/

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Although the scene when Wesley dies is amazing. God I miss that show.

I rarely even well up watching tv or movies but I bawl like a baby everytime I watch that scene (and I'm man enough to admit it :pimp: ). Yeah, although I feel it lagged around the whole Connor stuff I think season 4 was amazing, if just to see a muppet version of Angel. :lol:

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

I think season 4 was amazing, if just to see a muppet version of Angel.

That was Season 5.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

I think season 4 was amazing, if just to see a muppet version of Angel.

That was Season 5.

Yeah, muppet Angel was indeed season 5. But, season 5 of Angel was just cool period. My favorite season of the show, next to the third one.

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
My bad I always think there were only 4 seasons of Angel. I think subconciously I've tried to block out most of the Connor stuff. :P

Yossarian

Yossarian

A Cracked Polystyrene Man

• Members
  • 2,324 posts
I wasn't that keen on Season 5, the arc was all over the place, no Cordelia, most of my favourite characters died, etc. Spike was great though. Season 4 was probably the one I enjoyed the most, so dark.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,754 posts
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 #1 is now in comic shops nationwide.

Hurry up and go buy it so I can ask lots of questions about the parts I didn't quite get.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Oooo! I want I want!

I had a couple other ideas that I hope they go with. Either A., break up Willow and Kennedy; B, kill Kennedy; or C, break up Willow and Kennedy then kill Kennedy. :D

I also wonder if Joss has plans to bring Tara back. I know he wanted to in season 7 but things didn't work out.

I hope to pick this up soon, possibly tomorrow.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
I haven't gotten it yet. I want too soon.

And I've never gotten the hatred of Kennedy. The only explanation I've ever been able to figure out for that is that she was willing to stand up to Buffy. Personally, I didn't like Buffy in the seventh season. Anya was right about her having an undeserved superiority complex, and Buffy needed a good kick in the ass from someone else.

I rather liked Kennedy.

(Interesting fact: Iyari Limon, who played Kennedy, is bisexual in real life. Playing the character forced her to come to terms with her sexuality. Now, I'm just waiting for a similar revelation from Amber Benson [Tara], and I'll be able to say for sure that kissing Allyson Hannigan is the cause.) ;)

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
I think you left out "Kill Kennedy in an unspeakably painful and horrific way, then bring her back for the first page of each issue and kill her in a different way".

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Kennedy just came on way too strong for me. Plus I didn't buy her relationship with Willow for a second, totally not her type. But the non-chemistry aside, she just came across as really snobbish her entire stint, and I was just praying for Buffy or even Faith to take her to school at some point, which unfortunately never occured. I tried to give her a chance, I like strong-willed female characters, but couldn't stand her air of superiority. Just my feelings, though. :)

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
Not to mention that it was WAY too soon for Willow to be getting into another relationship. Especially considering the only thing the two characters had in common was that they were lesbians. Joss let his desire not to have the gay character spend time alone get in the way of logical character progression.

That, and she just wasn't appealing.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 #1 is now in comic shops nationwide.

Hurry up and go buy it so I can ask lots of questions about the parts I didn't quite get.

You can give me a dose of those questions if you like, hopefully I can answer them. :thumbsup:

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,754 posts
Let me start with a simple one about the ending:

Spoiler! --Click here to view--
Who's Amy the cheese-loving psycho?

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Probably longer than it needs to be but I like being thorough! :)
Amy is a fellow witch and Sunnydale High alumni (well not really but I digress for now...). She's the girl whose wiccan mother in season 1 switched bodies with her daughter so she could relive her glory years on the cheerleading squad. Buffy and co. spoiled that effort though and Amy got her body back, moved in with her father and was assumed to be your normal 16 year old girl again.

In season 2 however we find out that she's began dabbling in magic herself; Xander catches her tricking a teacher into believing she'd done her homework, and blackmails her into doing a love spell on Cordelia for him, which has different results and makes every girl BUT Cordy become obsessed with him, including Amy herself.

Fast-forward to season 3, and thanks to the "Hansel and Gretel" demon, the parents of Sunnydale go on an old-fashioned Salem witch hunt, scooping up Amy and a recently practicing Willow to be burned at the stake. To avoid her fate, Amy transforms herself into a rat to escape her bonds. Unfortunate in two senses as one, Buffy of course saves the day anyway, and most importantly Amy can't change herself back in rat form, and no one else knows how to reverse the spell either. So for the next three seasons Willow keeps Amy the rat (hence the cheese comment) as a pet hoping to figure out how to reverse the spell someday.

Enter season 6, in which Willow's abilities have skyrocketed beyond convention not to mention quickly becoming addicted to magic, and conjuring up a scroll from nowhere, Willow reads the incantation and Amy is reverted to her human form (Willow never really explains how she figured it out, just that she realized she knew, or whatever). Willow's still hurting after Tara broke up with her, so she and Amy end up hanging out, abusing their abilities with magic. After accidentally conjuring up a demon which breaks Dawn's arm however, Willow finally realizes she has a problem and goes into her own personal rehab. She realizes Amy is a bad influence on her, and as such breaks contact with her. This is the last we see of Amy in the series until now.

Amy seemed to be pretty powerful in her own right in season six, albeit not as power as Willow becomes. Considering she becomes this arc's Big Bad however, we'll probably find out her power has increased.

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
I undertsnad the Kennedy hate but I never was a fan of Tara either. I didn't like Oz leaving and always hoped he would come back. Not that I'm anti-lesbian or believe women should only be with men, I just thought it felt more real between Oz and Willow. Not to mention he was a far better character than Tara or Kennedy.

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
I'm wondering what a thricewise is supposed to be.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
Actually, Jason, we saw Amy in season 7. (She was the one who put the curse on Willow that caused her to turn into Warren after kissing Kennedy.) Amy was immensely jealous of Willow and her power (She said other witches would have to work three times as hard to attain just half of Willow's power.)

Oh, Whedon said that Anya will make an appearance in the series. She won't come back to life or anything, but she will appear, I'm guessing as a ghost or something.

I'm wondering what a thricewise is supposed to be.

Everyone is wondering that. Hopefully it'll be answered soon.

I haven't gotten the issue yet, but I know pretty much everything that happens. I was seriously spoiled over the past several months.

I'm actually not sure whether I should buy the individual issues, or wait for the series to come out in trade paperbacks, as I'm doing with Astonishing X-Men.

Edited by Obsidian, 20 March 2007 - 06:35 AM.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Whoops! Forgot about Amy in that episode. Looks like its a good thing I'm just about ready to start season 7 on my ongoing Buffy series marathon, I've forgotten a bit it seems.

Any idea...
Who the airborn boots belong to and who Amy's boyfriend is? Only person I could think of there is Rack. I mean Willow did kill him but he was pretty ugly to begin with and if Amy worked some mojo and brought back a corpse a could imagine him being even uglier hence the military guy's reaction to him. :shrug: As for my first question I'm trying to think of anyone from Buffy's past who could fly or float and I'm not getting anything. Boots and long jacket scream Spike to me but Spike can't fly, heh.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

Whoops! Forgot about Amy in that episode. Looks like its a good thing I'm just about ready to start season 7 on my ongoing Buffy series marathon, I've forgotten a bit it seems.

Any idea...

Who the airborn boots belong to and who Amy's boyfriend is? Only person I could think of there is Rack. I mean Willow did kill him but he was pretty ugly to begin with and if Amy worked some mojo and brought back a corpse a could imagine him being even uglier hence the military guy's reaction to him. :shrug: As for my first question I'm trying to think of anyone from Buffy's past who could fly or float and I'm not getting anything. Boots and long jacket scream Spike to me but Spike can't fly, heh.

Well, it can't be Spike, as he's not scheduled to make an appearance for a while, as far as I am aware. Maybe I'll know when I get the issue. Or maybe he's a new character, one we've never seen before.

By the way, this month marked the 10th anniversary of Buffy. The first episode aired March 10th, 1997. Matt Roush of TV Guide said recently that Buffy and Sopranos are the two shows that have had the biggest impact on modern television.

Edited by Obsidian, 20 March 2007 - 07:05 AM.