Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 8

• Please log in to reply
468 replies to this topic

qube

qube

• Members
  • 156 posts
obsidian and axis got me interested in this show years ago. i bought the first dvd as a gift for my sister, started watching an episode or two with her and then got hooked. ended up buying the rest of the seasons for myself, and have never heard the end of it from any guy friend who looks through my dvd collection. been meaning to rewatch the whole series ever since i read whedon's 'frey' comic, which is actually pretty good. perhaps this'll be that final nudge i need. i put in on par with evangelion and sandman in terms of great character development for a series.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

Has anyone considered what it would be like for Whedon to have an active role in the SW tv shows coming up in some way? WRITING perhaps???

Not really. Whedon's style wouldn't mesh. The only role I think he'd be effective in would be as a consultant during the planning phase.

Light-Sith

Light-Sith

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

I'm on a huge Buffy binge anyway as I recently acquired the Chosen Collection DVD set.

Niiice.

Now that box sets are being rereleased at cheaper prices, I've been slooowly making my way through the series. I'm only up to season two so far, having just finished the traumatic "Surprise"/"Innocence" two-parter last night. Intense.

Oh, Season 2 of Buffy was just fantastic.

Oh, how I remember all those times I told Jason that he should watch Buffy. I love being right.

Seasons 2 and 5 were the best. They had the best arcs, the right amount of foreshadowing, and had the most satisfying conclusions.

And yeah, I turned Axis into a huge Buffy/Angel fan myself.

Personally, I loved Season 3 the most.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
That was a good season. But I didn't think it had the emotional impact and mindblowing finale that put Seasons 2 and 5 into a whole other catagory.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

That was a good season. But I didn't think it had the emotional impact and mindblowing finale that put Seasons 2 and 5 into a whole other catagory.

I concur. Both of those seasons were incredible.

Personally, I liked all the seasons except for 6 and much of 7. I even liked 4, which I thought it had some of the strongest individual episodes ('Hush', 'A New Man', 'Restless', etc.) of the show, although not a very good arc.

But, seasons 2 and 5 are a cut above the rest of the series. They were the kind of seasons that other arc-based series should aspire to.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Although not my favorite, I find Season 4 to be vastly underrated. It had its issues in my view, such as introducing Adam too late and then not showing him enough from then on, but looking at the episodes individually if not necessarily the whole arc, season 4 was full of great episodes. Joss has said himself that he understands the formulaic big bad arc of this season wasn't very linear and strong, but that kinda was the idea. And Restless is still the best representation I've ever seen of an actual dream on-screen ever. I even kinda prefer it to season 3.

As far as a show picking up Whedon's writing skills, I agree with sol that it wouldn't really mesh with Star Wars, but one current show I could totally see him doing would be Heroes. If there's anything that show lacks its great dialogue. And its basically a comic book on the small screen.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

Joss has said himself that he understands the formulaic big bad arc of this season wasn't very linear and strong, but that kinda was the idea

I wouldn't agree with that. Seth Green left and so did the actress playing Buffy's psych professor so a lot of things got thrown out of balance. The way the Initiative was set up, I don't believe that it was meant to take a backseat the way it did for the last third of the season. They had a decently cool and powerful villain, but they really didn't have a clue as to what to do with him except for make cameos slowly putting his world domination plans into place. So they fell back on their skills to write really good television, which mostly worked (Superstar, This Year's Girl, Who Are You?, New Moon Rising) except when it didn't (Where the Wild Things Are).

I get the feeling that Season 4's strengths and weaknesses are more a consequence of scrambling than of planning. Season 6 is a better example of an arc that was meant to be different. I also think that season is greatly underappreciated by fans as well.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Professor Walsh's early exit from the show was unplanned? I never knew that. I always felt that part seemed rather rushed, but I never heard anything about it not being in the plans. I knew that for the Oz/Veruca mini-arc though the original plan was for that to go on longer than it did but Green wanted out sooner or something.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
You know, it was stupid to remove the Buffy board.

Anyway, here are details about the upcoming issues:

Preview of Issue 1, the first five pages: http://www.darkhorse...p...=14-111&p=1

Cover for Issue 2: http://www.comicscon...1/09/buffy2.htm

Details for issue 2:
Spoiler! --Click here to view--
The destruction of Buffy's
hometown, plus covert and powerful slayer "cells" around the world,
add up to a new label for the Scoobies: Terrorist threat. Speaking of
Sunnydale, the crater formerly known as, has opened to reveal the witch Amy, and
boy is she pissed. Now: Giles, smoochies, a knife to the heart, and a big
sleep. Season Eight continues.

Issue 3:
WILLOW!!!:

Posted Image

Details:
With Buffy incapacitated, Amy the witch has taken the opportunity to --
get this -- lay siege with an army of the undead. Willow takes her on
in a witches' battle royal as hundreds of Slayers defend their Scottish
citadel, but without the kiss of true love, Buffy will be out of
commission indefinitely -- with an unwelcome familiar face, and an
image you won't soon forget.

Edited by Obsidian, 11 February 2007 - 09:38 PM.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
That drawing of Willow is just awesome.

Laughed out loud at this:
"One's in Rome partying very publicly--and supposedly dating some guy called the Immortal. That part was Andrews idea. He did research on the guy, said it would be hilarious for some reason." :lol:

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
Aside from Whedon, here are the other known writers of BtVS season 8:

Brian K. Vaughan
Brad Meltzer
Jeph Loeb
Steven S. DeKnight
Jane Espenson
Drew Goddard
Drew Greenberg
Doug Petrie

Some of those are Buffy alumni (Jane Espenson was one of the best writers they had, IMHO), and some of the others are among the best comic writers. :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia....er_season_eight

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I don't know if anyone shares my opinion, but by series end I thought they were in a prime position to introduce a Buffy/Xander relationship if they wanted to. To me the set up is perfect, friends for years; Xander with an ongoing crush for her when they first met; he's the only guy who's never left her in any capacity; both have odd romantic histories as both have been heavily involved with, and lost, demons. And I thought it'd be just a nice bit of irony if considering the types of guys she's fallen for in the past, if the last guy she falls for is not only a best friend, but just a normal human. Just always seemed right to me that they end up together when all's said and done. But could be just me. :)

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
Another preview, issue 3 I think:

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

Professor Walsh's early exit from the show was unplanned?

Yep. Combined with Riley and Veruca, it wasn't a good year for Buffy's casting director.

I don't know if anyone shares my opinion, but by series end I thought they were in a prime position to introduce a Buffy/Xander relationship if they wanted to.

I don't know. By the fifth season I thought they made it pretty clear that Buffy/Xander was never going to happen (particularly their discussion in "I Was Made to Love You"). In fact it almost seems awkward to imagine the two of them together after all of these years.

Plus, I'm still bitter that they broke up Xander and Anya. I miss Anya.

Some of those are Buffy alumni (Jane Espenson was one of the best writers they had, IMHO), and some of the others are among the best comic writers.

Her style should translate well to comics. Goddard too.

Yossarian

Yossarian

A Cracked Polystyrene Man

• Members
  • 2,324 posts
So what do you guys think of the possibility of Angel or Spike appearing? Or do you think they didn't survive the last fight in LA? Also will Faith be in it?

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

So what do you guys think of the possibility of Angel or Spike appearing? Or do you think they didn't survive the last fight in LA? Also will Faith be in it?

Faith will appear in Brian K. Vaughn's arc, which is the second one.

Angel and Spike's will appear, but rarely as the rights to do their comics are held by another company.

Warning, major spoiler's appear:

http://www.tvguide.c.....022578DAA927}

More information here: http://en.wikipedia....er_season_eight

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
It says that Dawn experiences growing pains. Who wants to bet that she gets pregnant?

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,877 posts

I don't know if anyone shares my opinion, but by series end I thought they were in a prime position to introduce a Buffy/Xander relationship if they wanted to. To me the set up is perfect, friends for years; Xander with an ongoing crush for her when they first met; he's the only guy who's never left her in any capacity; both have odd romantic histories as both have been heavily involved with, and lost, demons. And I thought it'd be just a nice bit of irony if considering the types of guys she's fallen for in the past, if the last guy she falls for is not only a best friend, but just a normal human. Just always seemed right to me that they end up together when all's said and done. But could be just me. :)

Sounds like a bit of your personal wishes leaking out there...got a bit of the "nice guys finish last" blues? ;)

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Not really, I'm a big Spike fan. :) Anything that involves Spike coming out on top, I'm all about that so I couldn't help but root for Spike getting Buffy after he got his soul. Not to say Xander isn't his own brand of awesome though, plus he's certainly one nice guy who didn't finish last. ...Besides the whole losing an eye thing, haha. Its just a classic story to me, though. Joss always played up on real life elements of how people grow and change over the years, and I think everyone at least once has experienced or heard of a real life story where two good friends evolved over time into lovers. So I always kept that in mind as a possibility for Buffy and Xander if the story were to ever continue, especially when the end of the series saw Xander lose Anya.

Though I will admit Xander is a character I could totally relate to, and it would be sort of a "hooray for everyman" moment if the girl he had the hots for in high school yet was out of his league and stuck in the friend zone eventually fell in love with him. But I'd be more than fine if nothing every materialized. I love their friendship.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

It says that Dawn experiences growing pains. Who wants to bet that she gets pregnant?

Not quite Mara.
Check one of my above posts if you wanna see the growing pains. Beware of spoilers.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,877 posts
Ok you guys have me sold on this show now. I'm going to have to get them now.

Isn't Spike the guy with the really blond hair? Cause I REALLY liked him.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
Spike: http://en.wikipedia....ke_(Buffyverse)

I liked Spike, but I thought his role on 'Angel' was the best utilization of him. A part of the group, but at the same time an outsider. He worked best in that way on Buffy too.

Willow was always my favorite character. Her presence was really the only reason I sat through seasons 6 and 7.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

I liked Spike, but I thought his role on 'Angel' was the best utilization of him. A part of the group, but at the same time an outsider. He worked best in that way on Buffy too.

Cavemen or astronauts?

I preferred the Spike from Season 4 myself. I just loved when he was helping Buffy out for no higher purpose than his desire to kill things (and occassionally money).

BTW, Obsidian, to answer the question you PM'd me (my browser crashes for some reason when I try to reply):

I take Saijahn at his word. No reason comes to mind as to why he would lie about the prophesy just to isolate Wesley, who was barely alive at the time and pretty much insignificant from Saijahn's point-of-view.

I'm sure the writers had it in mind when Angel stabbed Connor as a matter of adding some texture, but that doesn't mean it was a real prophesy.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

Cavemen or astronauts?

I agree with Spike. Cavemen.

I preferred the Spike from Season 4 myself. I just loved when he was helping Buffy out for no higher purpose than his desire to kill things (and occassionally money).

I liked that Spike too. One of the things I liked was that he was honest. His motives for helping the Scoobies were self-serving, and he made no secret of that fact. I admire that.

BTW, Obsidian, to answer the question you PM'd me (my browser crashes for some reason when I try to reply):

I take Saijahn at his word. No reason comes to mind as to why he would lie about the prophesy just to isolate Wesley, who was barely alive at the time and pretty much insignificant from Saijahn's point-of-view.

I'm sure the writers had it in mind when Angel stabbed Connor as a matter of adding some texture, but that doesn't mean it was a real prophesy.

Yeah, you may be right.

Cloud

Cloud

Sleeping Lion

• Members
  • 16,720 posts
Ok so I've only gotten the chance to just look through some of this thread, man, I miss Buffy so much just reading people talking about it all like the good ole days.... but those covers look awesome, I always love it when they do artwork of that style that makes it almost identical to the way the characters/actors look.

I'm really excited about this and think i'll have to venture into the comic shop to make sure my order is put down, as to Spike? I hope he does show up, same with Angel, but I'd rather they avoid any possibly attempts to conclude that 'love' arc with everything, that should remain eternally unresolved for us to all fight over for years to come.