Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 8

468 replies to this topic

Cloud

Cloud

Sleeping Lion

• Members
  • 16,720 posts
It's been a while since i popped in, busy time that christmas eh, but while i was in town recently with some relatives I spotted on the cover of Previews that Joss Whedon is back with Darkhorse and is writing 'season 8' of Buffy which is due out in March. I wasn't about to grab it and read up on any further details, nor scoured over the net for it, but if it's all true, well, i'm psyched. Anyone heard anything about this?

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,826 posts
Yeah. I don't think he's actually writing it all himself...I'm pretty sure he's enlisted most of the writers from the show to do the bulk of the work.

But yes, the comic will pick up right where the TV show ended...however that was. I'm not much of a Buffy-fan, but I'm very very VERY much looking forward to what Whedon's going to do with Runaways.

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
I'm a huge Buffy fan but I will definitely not be picking this up as I thought the last 2/3 seasons of Buffy were awful and would have very low expectations of this.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
Does this mean we get to see how Buffy gets with the Immortal?

Angel: But she's not finished baking yet. I gotta wait till she's done baking, you know, till she finds herself, 'cause that's the drill. Fine. I'm waitin' patiently, and meanwhile, The Immortal's eatin' cookie dough!

Ven Halcyon

Ven Halcyon

King of the Nerds

• Members
  • 10,940 posts
Well, in Angel, they have her whisked off to Europe do they not?

So when is "season 8" actually going to be set...

I'll probably (for my sins) pick these up...

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
From TVGuide:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Is Back: The Complete Joss Whedon Q&A

by Ileane Rudolph
Buffy the Vampire Slayer TM & 20th Century Fox Film Corp. Dark Horse Comics is a registered trademark of Dark Horse Comics. All rights reserved.

Buffy: Season 8

Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan alert the Scooby Gang lives! If you've been waiting since 2003 for the answer to little sister Dawn's series-ending question ("What are we gonna do now?"), it's finally on its way. Creator Joss Whedon is preparing Buffy: Season 8, but this time around the adventures are in comic-book form, arriving in March 2007 from Dark Horse Comics. We talked to Whedon about Buffy, today's TV and his many other projects.

TVGuide.com: Why did you decide to do an entire eighth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in a comic-book series?
Joss Whedon: Well, I'm not that bright. I keep thinking that I have all this free time that I don't have. It started going in my brain "Wouldn't it be fun if... " and, "You could... " while the other voice was saying, "It's death. I'm out of control. I'm already writing." So I basically said, "We could do something and for once we could make it canon. We could make it officially what happened after the end of the show." Let Buffy not only address certain themes that slipped between the cracks of the show, but also really be a comic book. Take the template of the show, but not so religiously that they're all standing in the Magic Box, talking, for 10 pages.

TVGuide.com: Did you have a concept for the eighth season already mapped out in your head after the sort of sudden cancellation of the series? Or did it come about after the nixing of the much talked-about spin-off movies?
Whedon: The show was not canceled suddenly I knew that the show would not go past seven years, that I could not go past seven years. I had originally intended to go only five, but once it was clear that we were going to do more than five, both Sarah [Michelle Gellar]and I, and all the other actors, knew that seven was it. But the idea of doing movies about some of the ancillary characters got me really excited, because I love those actors and I love that world. That kind of fell through, but when I started working on the comic... I sketched out this sort of broad arc that would connect everything. Now it will probably only appear on the comic-book pages, but it will be really well drawn. George Jeanty (The American Way) is the artist.

TVGuide.com: How many issues will there be? And how many are you writing?
Whedon: The season should run between 20 and 30 issues, I'm guessing. It has, like the [TV] seasons did, an overriding story with an ending point. I'll be writing the beginning, the first four, the last four, and I'll definitely be doing some others. I have a bunch of other writers comic-book heavies and former writers from the show who are going to write the other issues. I'll be overseeing the whole thing, and they've all got my giant mission statement about what the giant arc is about.

TVGuide.com: What is the giant arc about?
Whedon: I'm not going to tell you that. But I can tell you that it's about the ramifications of everything that happened in Season 7. At the end of the show, Buffy made every girl who might be a potential vampire slayer into a fully realized slayer with all the remembered history and powers, so she's made a big change in the way the world works. The comic will be dealing with that when we pick up the story several months later.

TVGuide.com: So there's an army of slayers... going up against whom? Who or what are the main bad guys?
Whedon: There are, not surprisingly, monsters, because that's what they generally fight, but what we found out early on in the show is that the scariest thing in the world is other people. But at the same time, it is a comic book and it has to step up in terms of kind of being epic.

TVGuide.com: What's the main thing you can do with a comic that you couldn't do on a network TV show?
Whedon: Well, the thing we couldn't do on my network TV show you can do a lot on a show these days, if you have money is really go anywhere, and let the visuals complement the storytelling in a very specific way. [In comic books] you have the whole world, the whole universe, at your disposal. We really didn't have a lot of money to make Buffy.

TVGuide.com: You couldn't tell.
Whedon: Well, bless you. We worked really hard to make it look like we did. But there were a few times when she'd walk into a cave, and it'd have a perfectly flat concrete floor. I'd just go, "Oh, if only this were a comic book." [Laughs] You still want to have people identify with the characters, but with a comic, you have a mandate that you have to do it a little bit bigger. Buffy's just living on a bigger scale. She's not the everyman that she was, but she's still cute and quippy.

TVGuide.com: Does she get comic-book superheroine breast implants?
Whedon: She really doesn't. I've been fortunate that I've never worked with a T&A artist. I'm very specific about that.

TVGuide.com: Isn't that the raison d'etre of lots of comics?
Whedon: That's part of why I stopped reading comics for a while. All the people I work with draw actual women.

TVGuide.com: Are most of the TV characters featured in the comic?
Whedon: I bring them in slowly. The first one features Buffy and a couple of other characters. In the first four, we basically get the layout of where most of them are. I'm bringing them as a fugue, one by one, to play their part. I'm also leaving some people out deliberately, or mentioning them without focusing on them, so that the other writers who come in can have something new to play with. Instead of just picking up my story, they get to pick up whatever aspect of it interests them.

TVGuide.com: Is Anya still dead?
Whedon: Anya, still dead. That doesn't mean she won't show up, and it doesn't mean she will. Dead in the Buffyverse is a very singular concept.

TVGuide.com: And Spike? Everyone wants Spike.
Whedon: I do have plans for Spike, but the Angel franchise to which Spike defected is in fact owned by another comic-book company, so all that has to be worked out.... And is indeed being worked out.

TVGuide.com: Does that mean there will or won't be Angel crossovers?
Whedon: There will be a certain amount. The Angel characters were in the Buffyverse and could appear. I'm not going to feature them heavily because that other company is working on them, and I just don't want to be a schmo to them.

TVGuide.com: Isn't that a little weird?
Whedon: It's a little weird. It's not an ideal situation, but I would not heavily use those characters. There's a reason you have Angel do his own show, because you can only play out the variations of "What if Romeo and Juliet lived?" for so long. He's in her heart, but he will be used sparingly.

TVGuide.com: Will you introduce new characters?
Whedon: Oh, there'll be a bunch. There'll be some old faces, 'cause that's always fun, and we'll have a whole bunch of these slayers. And there will be new villains. New faces are easier for the artists to draw.

TVGuide.com: How frequently will the issues arrive, because some comics aren't very punctual in their delivery, let's say.
Whedon: I'm trying very hard to keep to a monthly schedule. I've got a lot of different writers who are going to be coming in and I don't know how many artists and writers we'll be using, and that will determine it. But the idea is to keep it monthly and not to do what's being done so often and has been done by my very own self.

TVGuide.com: With your much-delayed comic, Fray?
Whedon: There was an issue of Fray that was about a year late. I'm never going to live that one down.

TVGuide.com: This Buffy series could run for more than two years, couldn't it?
Whedon: Yes, I figure it [can] be between 25 and 30 issues for this season, as it were. And that could run for a couple of years.

TVGuide.com: What's happening with Astonishing X-Men?
Whedon: I have one more run of Astonishing X-Men, about 10 more issues. I'm already writing it because Marvel keeps changing the schedule. I don't know when it's coming out, but I keep writing them and Johnny keeps drawing them, so it should be coming out regularly even if it's bimonthly, which I hope it's not. I hope we get to go a little faster than that.

TVGuide.com: You've talked a little about the X-Men content to reporters. Why not Buffy?
Whedon: Well, the thing is, X-Men is continuing right where everybody knows we are, whereas Buffy, we sort of closed it down, and are now picking it up several months later, so it's been a while since anyone saw her. We want to get that feeling of reintroducing ourselves. "Where is everybody? How do they feel? What are they doing? What the hell happened to Dawn?"

TVGuide.com: Isn't it "Buffy and her gang saving the world"?
Whedon: Generally speaking, we hope they save it instead of doing the other thing. Because otherwise, we're fired.

Does this mean we get to see how Buffy gets with the Immortal?

Yes and no. She never actually dates him at all.

XIII

XIII

Best French person ever

• Members
  • 3,592 posts
BKV is gonna write some of it.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
Huh? She wasn't with the immortal? Is this some comic retcon that I missed?

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
No. It turns out that there are three "Buffys" out there. The real Buffy is staying low for a while. In the meantime, she has (or had) two other Slayers posing as her. One was killed, whereas the other is the one partying with the Immortal.

http://www.whedon.in...eview-gq-05.jpg

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I'm interested. Don't know if I'll keep up religiously or anything, but I definitely want to check out at least the first issue.

I'm on a huge Buffy binge anyway as I recently acquired the Chosen Collection DVD set. :thumbsup:

ShadowGhost

ShadowGhost

RAWR!

• Members
  • 4,408 posts
I am also a huge Buffy fan but am REALLY torn on whether or not I'm going to pick this up issue by issue or in trades!
For one, I want to make absolutely sure this will be released in trades (I would imagine...it's only logical) then I also have to factor in whether I can wait or not. I probably will be going the trade route...

Either way, I'm really psyched! Cannot wait.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,736 posts

I'm on a huge Buffy binge anyway as I recently acquired the Chosen Collection DVD set.

Niiice.

Now that box sets are being rereleased at cheaper prices, I've been slooowly making my way through the series. I'm only up to season two so far, having just finished the traumatic "Surprise"/"Innocence" two-parter last night. Intense.

I haven't touched the Angel or Spike books that IDW has been releasing because they charge $3.99 a pop. Dark Horse's lower prices plus The Joss himself more closely overseeing this than Dark Horse's previous efforts (not to mention if XIII's BKV rumor is true)...I think I'm in. It may spoil a lot of season seven for me, but what the hey.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,826 posts
I mean this with 100% sincerity...

I don't get the whole "Buffy" thing. I've managed to catch a few episodes and I don't get the "geek" appeal. I mean, I get where it could appeal to teens and other WB audiences...but, to me, it never seemed to have that thing (whatever it is) that pulls me into comics. Same thing with Smallville actually. So is there something there I'm missing? Like, does it get better or did I just not catch the right episodes?

I do really enjoy everything else of Whedon's that I've seen/read. And I really really think that Spike guy is hot. So please, steer me in the right direction here.

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
The appeal of Buffy lies in the journey. Watching Season One is painful at times, but you can really see the potential in the characters. The writing is snappy, and the "kids" have developing characters that actually evolve with the show. It's not like The Simpsons where the people stay pretty much the same throughout the seasons, these "kids" grow up before your very eyes from season to season. They make mistakes and sometimes they make you hate them. Then they redeem themselves and become dear to your heart. The show is about that character development, so I recommend watching them from beginning to end. Catching an episode here and there doesn't do the series justice. Watch Season One, and I guarantee once you get deep into Season Two you'll be hooked.

Conmi Cusal

Conmi Cusal

• Members
  • 4,207 posts

Now that box sets are being rereleased at cheaper prices, I've been slooowly making my way through the series. I'm only up to season two so far, having just finished the traumatic "Surprise"/"Innocence" two-parter last night. Intense.

Oh yeah, that was crazy. I don't know how people went a whole off season without knowing what happened. I just popped the Season 3 Disc one in quite promply after that finale.

As for the comic, this is the first thing I've heard about it and I'm super excited!!!!

Cloud

Cloud

Sleeping Lion

• Members
  • 16,720 posts
I know i'm pretty excited, reading Joss talking about it gives me hope, I don't know how i will take it, as canon season 8 in text, or just one of those adventures that is based on the series, a 'theory' arc.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

The appeal of Buffy lies in the journey. Watching Season One is painful at times, but you can really see the potential in the characters. The writing is snappy, and the "kids" have developing characters that actually evolve with the show. It's not like The Simpsons where the people stay pretty much the same throughout the seasons, these "kids" grow up before your very eyes from season to season.

Understatement of the year.

Truth is, I've never seen a television show that had the amount of growth and character development that Buffy and Angel had, and that had it in such a logical, natural way.

Buffy is like a well-written comic book for television, albeit one with a serious undercurrent of philosophical exploration.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

The appeal of Buffy lies in the journey. Watching Season One is painful at times, but you can really see the potential in the characters.

I disagree. The scripts are a bit dated and the special effects lousy, but the show got excellent reviews and a dedicated following right from the start. Buffy was already one of the best shows on television out of the gates (during what was already a great era for the medium). It really only suffers when put in comparrison with the heights it reached in the years afterward.

If it had been cancelled after 12 episodes, it would have been lamented by internet sites far and wide.

stfmaryville

stfmaryville

• Members
  • 6 posts
I don't know how to compare BTVS to anything except Stan Lee's run on The Amazing Spider-Man. The characters grow up and you really experience high school, college, dropping out, the hard slap in the face of adulthood, the loss of family, hell the writers even get working at a fast food restaurant right. The relationships are real and what I loved the most was that there was no status quo --- as in life, things change and they often change the hard way.

During its run I was about 2 years older than the characters, maybe that did help because their situations paralleled some of mine ... without the vamps & werewolves & explosions & stuff.

Not to get off-topic but to clarify my Spider-Man comment, I've always felt that the worst thing Marvel has done in its second 25 years is slow down the progression of its heroes. Stan & Steve & Johnny had raised Peter Parker from a geeky teenager misfit to a motorcycle-riding, somewhat successful early-20s guy with a circle of friends. I think they should have went the soap opera route and today he should be a kickass 50-something with a daughter learning the "family business." (Obviously I'd trade 40 copies of Ultimate Spider-crap for the next issue of Spider-Girl.) I won't be arguing about Spidey, but I wanted to flesh out why I love(d) the realistic progression of Buffy & the Scooby Gang.

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
Ultimate Spider-crap? Are you kidding me? That's one of the best books on the market right now.

Didn't know where to put this and thought this was best: Whedon has left the Wonder Woman project see here.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
That sucks but I'm not horribly shocked. He was taking a very long time. Hopefully Joss will find a home on television again. His talents are wasted in movies.

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
agreed.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts

I'm on a huge Buffy binge anyway as I recently acquired the Chosen Collection DVD set.

Niiice.

Oh, Season 2 of Buffy was just fantastic.

Oh, how I remember all those times I told Jason that he should watch Buffy. I love being right. :)

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

Niiice.

Oh, Season 2 of Buffy was just fantastic.

Oh, how I remember all those times I told Jason that he should watch Buffy. I love being right.

Seasons 2 and 5 were the best. They had the best arcs, the right amount of foreshadowing, and had the most satisfying conclusions.

And yeah, I turned Axis into a huge Buffy/Angel fan myself.

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,119 posts
Has anyone considered what it would be like for Whedon to have an active role in the SW tv shows coming up in some way? WRITING perhaps???

Reply to this topic