Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Final Fantasy XIII

497 replies to this topic

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
Yeah, It was never really about Vaan. The whole Vaans Brother dying thing was just a way to kinda connect him to everything, and we're supposed to be getting swept up in the bigger plot, through the eyes of a regular person that is living in Ivalice.

And I think it accomplished that.

polarcrest

polarcrest

• Members
  • 993 posts
I'll say this...I don't really care if the main character is a girl or a gorilla...I just want something that can make up for the sad excuse for a FF called FF12. I want a really good FF, not X-2 or an mmo or that dang FF12...but a really really good FF. I want a good deap storyline, characters with thought put into them. Sidequests that keep me glued to the tv for days.

FFfreak

FFfreak

A Returnee

• Members
  • 601 posts
Now there, my polarcrested friend... i wud agree with u :D

we friends???

(however... FF12 was not a bad game... it was just not what we had expected nor what we pesonally liked... there are several people out there that loved it to pieces... personally... i hated it :P)

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
FFXIII: Hashimoto, "we won't show FF13 playable until next year"

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
They say it's only 13% complete.

While they say Versus is only 1.3% complete.

Obviously plays on the '13' name, but still.. that doesn't sound good.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
My completely unsubstantiated theory is that this is all due to the increased action-genre elements to the series. Furthermore, also based on absolutely nothing, I say things will move along more quickly if they return to a completely turn-based battle system. :D

Euronymous

Euronymous

Sworn to a Great Divide

• 10,041 posts
Seriously Square must be using a lot of the resources into either multi-platforming their franchises or are heavily into designing a new series of some sort. It might be a play on the '13' theme but the snail pace at which Square seem to do things nowadays has got to be because of a bigger reason.

just a hunch but I reckon FF XIII will be the last Final Fantasy as we know it.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
You could make that case for any Final Fantasy game.

Hell, XII did away with the traditional turn-based stuff, so in a way you could say X was the end of the FF as we knew it.

Or, IX was the last game to have a proper world map to explore, so you could say that was the end of FF as we knew it.

etc.. etc.

Jaycie

Jaycie

Souless Automaton

• 11,556 posts
I found this video after watching the trailer Brad put up looks like a preview of the battle system.. I think it looks pretty wicked if that's what it is like.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
Yeah, that's the preview trailer for XIII.

The trailer I linked to was for Final Fantasy Versus XIII. - different game.

Euronymous

Euronymous

Sworn to a Great Divide

• 10,041 posts

You could make that case for any Final Fantasy game.

Hell, XII did away with the traditional turn-based stuff, so in a way you could say X was the end of the FF as we knew it.

Or, IX was the last game to have a proper world map to explore, so you could say that was the end of FF as we knew it.

etc.. etc.

I'm not affiliating my statement according to "game" changes or evolutions brad, just the time it takes to push one out.

FF7,8,9 were in rather quick successions about two years between each release for ps1.

i think if you check you facts regarding the Ps2, you'll find they're far larger.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
Oh no doubt. But the games are also getting increasingly more complex, and.. as with any studio.. the more sophisticated the hardware, the longer the development.

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• Members
  • 11,651 posts
I for one would play another FF on the SNES anyday. I swear companies should not ditch that software and still develope for them. Who cares about 3d as long as the game is fun and intreguing. Although, I dislike the Wii's approach to videogames.

Otanku

Otanku

Hook 'em!

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
they still do that... it's called Gameboy :P

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• Members
  • 11,651 posts
That doesnt count. I want to play on my 55" tv

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
"Tetsuya Nomura mentioned in an interview with Dengeki Magazine that we will have something in his installment of the Fabula Nova Crystallis, Versus XIII, that we haven't seen since Final Fantasy IX (And I've missed it very much). He's giving us a world map to explore! (I mean explore as in old-school Final Fantasy VII-IX EXPLORE) They also have the map up and testing airship flight with it.

As a side note, Nomura was asked by his team if they are allowed to program the game with PS3 exclusivity in mind; they wanted to know if they would port the game. To this Nomura said, "Of course, Versus XIII is PS3 exclusive."

Domo-Kun

Domo-Kun

Gravemaker and Gunslinger

• Members
  • 3,443 posts
Versus XIII will be exclusive....didn't say anything about the other incarnations....

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
They've said Final Fantasy XIII itself is exclusive too. As for anything else, I'm not sure.

PACMAN729

PACMAN729

• Members
  • 1,278 posts
I can't wait, for these games.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
New screens up today.

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=231231

I spy, with my little eye, Carbuncle! Ifrit! Siren! and Shiva!

The scenery in the screens there look AWESOME. and it looks to be a new character, or at least one I hadn't seen before. A redheaded girl. I highly approve of redheaded girls.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by TuskenRaider, 31 January 2008 - 03:45 PM.

Sephi

Sephi

Curse you Frances, curse you

• 18,789 posts
I cannot wait for this! Since Nomura promised it out before the end of 2008, hopefully I'll have a nice birthday/Christmas. <_<

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
No luck there. From the article, it says that 2008 is an important year for the game, but it doesn't sound like a release year. He said a demo is due on by years end, and a lot of info about characters and plot and things will surface this year.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Ooooo, pretty!!

And our first look at the obligatory "fiesty and strong teenage girl" character it seems, haha.

Is that cityscape screen from XIII or Versus XIII? Looked more like the latter

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
There are many photos from each. I think the one in question is Versus.

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
Yeah: http://www.square-en...ress/2008/0130/

"Although information regarding the release date of FINAL FANTASY XIII has been reported by certain videogame websites, Square Enix itself has yet to make an official statement on this topic. Any reports of a confirmed release date are erroneous and should be disregarded.

Square Enix will make an official announcement in the future concerning the release date when it has been determined."

Reply to this topic