Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Final Fantasy XIII

497 replies to this topic

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
"The use of summons in Final Fantasy XIII will be a major departure from series tradition. While their job is still basically to assist the heroine, Lightning, in battle, they will also offer a completely different set of abilities. Shiva, for instance can transform into a motorcycle. Lightning can then ride this motorcycle while blasting her enemies in battle. The implementation of such new action-oriented features to the battle system is apparently resulting in a lot of hardship for the development team. As previously announced, Final Fantasy XIII will mark the return of the good old ATB (Active Time Battle) system. That being said, the waiting time until a command is selected will be almost non-existent.

In Final Fantasy XIII's world, crystals apparently have the power to create large machines and creatures. Therefore, the crystal has brought prosperity to the game's world. Said world is sealed inside a giant shell floating in space. This closed society is fittingly referred to as "Cocoon." Its residents have long feared creatures from the outside world: and for good reason. In Pulse, the netherworld beneath the Cocoon, formless creatures have awoken and begun to spread fear and hatred among men. The governmental body inside the Cocoon reacts to this threat with drastic emergency measures. As a result of those emergency measures, large numbers of suspicious citizens are arrested and forced to migrate to Pulse. In these dire times, the Crystal chooses the heroine to fight those who try to destroy the world. This, however, pits her against the Cocoon society's government. Square Enix also revealed a second important character: A blonde-haired, motorcycle riding man. The towering man is described by character designer Tetsuya Nomura as "cowboy-like." While Nomura would not detail his relationship with the heroine, he said the two do not share a usual relationship.

Final Fantasy XIII has yet to receive a release date in Japan."

I like seeing the ATB back, but Shiva going transformer and turning into a bike? Man, I dont know about that.. I'll have to see it to judge it for myself though. But none of that sounds good. lol

http://img290.images...omroczzicz1.jpg <- blonde haired guy, kinda reminds me of Irvine a bit..

http://img19.imagesh...bqlctijxpy1.jpg <- appears to be said Shiva Bike.

http://img19.imagesh...kidyqzftty5.jpg < - not sure what it is, but it looks cool.

http://img460.images...uairbggjuj8.jpg <- one of our Heroines. (same one as before)

http://img411.images...csibqulvix9.jpg <- possibly from one of the other games in set.

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
Yes, that last shot is from FF Versus XIII.

Chaos_Effect

Chaos_Effect

• Members
  • 9,122 posts
I dunno about the Shiva-bike thing either, but I'll reserve judgment until I get the game. At any rate, this game is reason enough for me to spend $600 on a PS3.

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
Just a shame that we most likely won't see a US release before 2008.

Euronymous

Euronymous

Sworn to a Great Divide

• Members
  • 10,040 posts
Also too, Lightning (horrible name for a character) is NOT the main protganist for FFXIII.

Chaos_Effect

Chaos_Effect

• Members
  • 9,122 posts
I thought they said that she was.

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
There has been little solid information, but at the initial announcement it was stated that she would not be the main character. Things might have changed or maybe not. We shall see.

Spawnxlite

Spawnxlite

The One and Only

• Members
  • 1,980 posts
In the last pic, that guy looks like Squall.

Otanku

Otanku

Hook 'em!

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
not good:

Final Fantasy XIII confirmed for 2008

For those who hoped to play Final Fantasy XIII this year, this is bad news.

In a recent interview, Nomura confirmed to the Famitsu gaming magazine that Final Fantasy XIII won't be coming out in 2007, and that the new release date is set for 2008. The most simple explanation is that they still have some other projects to finish before being able to fully focus on Final Fantasy XIII.

Final Fantasy XIII is part of the Final Fantasy: Fabula Nova Crystallis trilogy, which also includes Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Final Fantasy Agito XIII (for cellphones).

Although the game is set to be released in 2008, we can expect a demo to be available late this year. If the demo doesn't make it to the online stores this year, we will at least have the first in-game footage from TGS or some other events.

source: http://www.psu.com/node/7398

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts

Just a shame that we most likely won't see a US release before 2008.

QTF

Sephi

Sephi

Curse you Frances, curse you

• 18,789 posts

The most simple explanation is that they still have some other projects to finish before being able to fully focus on Final Fantasy XIII.

*strokes beard*

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
Yeah, they are working on FF1&2 for PSP, duh!

No seriously, I read the following on RPGFan.com

As for the fith, still unannounced game, Nomura would only say: "If we don't release it in 2007, its meaning will fade."

Hmmm, a ten year anniversary re-release of FFVII?

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
Oh, I would die of joy before I could play it, if that were true.

RavEMasteR

RavEMasteR

• Members
  • 4,034 posts

Also too, Lightning (horrible name for a character) is NOT the main protganist for FFXIII.

Lightning in Japanese is "Lai" or "Rai". Might sound cooler in Japanese than English.

Euronymous

Euronymous

Sworn to a Great Divide

• Members
  • 10,040 posts
Don't get me wrong, I like how Square names each consecutive protganist after nature, (everyone forgets that "Tidus" was from tidal as in wave) but I think it's gotta be vague as to the meaning, so there's room to have it mean something symbolic. Lightning doesn't leave anything to the imagination.

Imagine a character called "TREE" or "PEBBLE" or "PLATEAU"...that would suck.

Euronymous

Euronymous

Sworn to a Great Divide

• Members
  • 10,040 posts
Or "DITCH", the protangist for FFXIV whose story is about filling a hole in his heart......*groan*

:lol:

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
:lol: That sounds like a good one to me.

Also, where does Vaan fit into nature? I don't think it does...

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
Also "Lightning" is just the rough translation from the Japanese name. It will most likely be something like Sparky when she get to the English speaking world.

PACMAN729

PACMAN729

• Members
  • 1,278 posts
Interesting.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
newest screen.

http://forums.ffextr...mp;d=1171776560

Sephi

Sephi

Curse you Frances, curse you

• 18,789 posts
That is just beautiful.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
Advent Children level CG indeed, eh? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
The game looks absolutely beautiful, however its sounding more and more like an action game rather an RPG, which is kinda disconcerting. Hopefully its just a wrong impression on my part, though.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
Final Fantasy XII acted more like a story, with automated fighting sequences to fill in the spaces between, but boy was I drastically wrong.

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,795 posts
Wow, a new video to beat off to until E3(or whatever the hell it's called).

Reply to this topic