Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

WrestleMania 23 Discussion

239 replies to this topic

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts

This years MITB, needs to have Benjamin, Nitro, Kenny, Chavo, London, and Punk or sabu.

Benjamin has to be this years winner. It would be his third one.

Agreed. This has to be Shelton's year. :yes:

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
The following isn't just a potential WM23 spoiler, but also a spoiler for this Friday's Smackdown...

The wheels were set in motion for what may be Smackdown's WM main event at Smackdown tapings tonight when Undertaker faced Kennedy for a chance to make the Royal Rumble title match a triple threat if he could beat Kennedy. Batista, who was on commentary, speared Kennedy when he tried to leave and go backstage. Batista got Undertaker DQ'ed by doing so, thus keeping him out of the Royal Rumble title match and 'Taker got pissed off about it and we got a abtista/Undertaker stare-down of sorts.. This works toward the rumored 'Taker/Batista match, but it's also important to note that spoilers have Undertaker on the No Way Out poster. So either then or at WM, we're getting this match.

some-guy

some-guy

Dancing for Rain

• Members
  • 1,794 posts
Awesome. That sounds like one hell of a story line.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
headlineplanet.com reports that Vince is interested in reacquiring the services of Chris Jericho in time to add him to the WrestleMania 23 lineup, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
I have a feeling he'll be showing up in TNA soon.

some-guy

some-guy

Dancing for Rain

• Members
  • 1,794 posts
I totally would mark out if I saw Chris at WW22. Stick him in SD!.

I would also just like to say if I see an interference at a WW title match. I will just flip.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
source

Initially not even under consideration for the role, Shawn Michaels is now one of the favorites to receive a title shot at WrestleMania 23.

PWInsider.com reports that while WWE Champion John Cena’s opponent has not yet been decided, the internal belief (consistent with developments on TV) is that it will either be Shawn Michaels, Edge or Randy Orton.

Each performer has a drawback—Michaels, like Cena, is a face, Edge is just months removed from a lengthy feud with Cena and Randy Orton is the least over of the three—but no one else appears to be a realistic option at this point.

Other matches expected for WrestleMania include World Champion Batista against The Undertaker, some sort of match involving Hulk Hogan vs. The Great Khali (Khali will either wrestle or be in the corner of Hogan’s opponent) and a presently undecided ECW Championship bout.

The "drawback" with HBK isn't really a drawback if you consider the heavily-rumored HHH/Cena main event that would have come from HHH's similarly heavily-rumored Royal Rumble win...before the injury, of course.

I want to see Hogan bodyslam Khali.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I read that they weren't too down with the idea of both Smackdown and Raw's main event being two face vs. face matchups, so they were leaning against HBK/Cena, but I mean, I don't really see that scenario as a drawback. I wouldn't care in the least if that were the case as long as they were both good matches. Plus its never been done before, why not try something new and see what happens. I know it leaves some well deserving heels on both shows a little unfairly out in the cold, but I think Batista/Undertaker and Michaels/Cena would be a pretty killer headliner.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,383 posts
I just want to see Cena vs Orton on a big stage. Not on RAW, not on a RAW pay per view. Only at SummerSlam or WrestleMania (preferably WM). Maybe it can wait til next year, though. I think with the proper build up, this could be one of those programs that goes over the top, akin to Hogan vs Andre, Bret vs Shawn, Rock vs Austin, etc.

But since it seems Batista vs UT will be the big draw of WM23, maybe it is better to wait til next year.

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
Some WM23 thoughts

Cena v Orton: Cena has stepped it up and if Orton could do the same, this could be the next Rock-Austin

Batista v Taker: I'll be interested in seeing the crowd reactions to this. I think Taker is pretty much a face for life now. I can't imagine him seeing the streak broken but I also can't see him doing another title run. Maybe Taker wins than loses to Batista the next week on Smackdown. Could be the start of a Batista heel turn. Interested.

Lashley v ???: Does anyone really care?

HBK v Edge: I can see HBK costing Edge the rumble leading to a fued. This only makes sense if Edge gets a clean win at WM23.

Hogan v someone and Khali: The talk right now is Shane O'Mac and Khali vs Hogan with Trump in Hogan's corner. Question is can Hogan slam Khali without breaking a hip?

Mickie James v Melina for the Women's title. You know you move Jillian Hall to Raw and you have 6 pretty good women wrestlers. That's a whole division and much stronger than the tag team division.

Hardys vs MNM in a TLC match: Hardys win and MNM dissolves forever

There is still some good talent without any real direction at this point. This is a big Mania for Carlito and Kennedy since they are on the verge of breaking out. That could be a money feud in a couple of years. The mic work would be awesome. Kenny will likely get a match, probably against Flair. Benoit should be good for something. If they do a TLC match, I doubt they do MitB this year. Still waiting for Benjamin to break out. Also would like to see Punk involved, but it sounds like the backstage people are down on him like they always seem to be with Shelton.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Krawlie, I'm with you, I really want to see Orton and Cena and not at some lesser PPV. Like you though I'm also willing to wait for it. For me I'd like to see a gradual build up towards it, to get fans pumped, and I think it would be useeful if they got Orton more over in the singles realm as well. Not that its a question of could he get over, he can and will, but it'd just be nice to see major build up, one which firmly placed Orton as the number one contender before getting him and Cena started. And seeing how there's only a couple months before Wrestlemania, I'd hate to see such a potentially money fued rushed even the slightest. If they play their cards right next year could be perfect for it.

Super Dragon

Super Dragon

• Members
  • 4,152 posts
I'd rather no Hogan vs. Kahli, because I would for Hogan's REAL last match to be against Kahli, I'd rather see him put someone over. Or Go out fighting Austin

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
Cena vs HBK was decent the first time, but I don't know if I"d order wm just to see it again.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
I don't even remember them wrestling before.

EDIT: And now I know why - they wrestled on the Halloween '05 Raw, and their match only lasted under ten minutes due to Kurt Angle interfering. But honestly, I can't agree that judging the quality of match they'd have at the biggest show of the year with a couple of months to build towards it by comparing it to that Raw match that was under ten minutes long with an inconclusive finish is a fair comparison. They've never cut promos against each other, never had a rivalry, and never had an actual main event-quality match before - I think it could be lots of fun and very entertaining.

Edited by Exodus, 25 January 2007 - 07:56 AM.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,383 posts
Stallion's always been that way. He probably doesn't want to see Cena vs Orton because it first happened on Smackdown in 2002 when they were both no name faces.

Batista vs the Undertaker can't be any good because they met on Smackdown, too, when Batista was the Deacon

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
I don't recall Orten and Cena ever meeting one on one. And I didn't watch smackdown during the Deacon days, but even if they did meet, Batistia has slowed down alot since his injury, the only way that match will be saved is if Taker can Carry Batistia.

Regardless, your entitled to your oppinions, while HBK could put on a watchable match with anyone, I just don't see the excitment in such a match, it's not like when HBK faced Shelton, during that match I marked out and wouldn't mind seeing that several times, I guess it's Cena's limitations and while the promo work could be good, I just wouldn't see the hype.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
The excitement of any program those two were in would be for the most part the charisma. Shawn's one of the best ever, and even Cena haters have to admit he a lot of charisma. But I also think the potential as far as in-ring work is great too. Shawn can carry just about anyone, and honestly Cena doesn't really need that much carrying anymore. His arsenal isn't huge and he's not a technical masterpiece, but he's at the point now where he makes the most out of what he's got, athletic-wise.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,775 posts

I don't recall Orten and Cena ever meeting one on one.

They've never met in a storyline match one-on-one, but they did meet one-on-one during one of the Eddie tribute shows. I don't remember what happened, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a clean finish of any sort. Combining that with it not being part of any feud or storyline, they really haven't met much because they have been trying to keep them from colliding.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing an HBK/Cena feud for Mania. It could be interesting. The only other option I could see would be HBK/Edge and Orton/Cena (Or Hell, even combining those to another fatal fourway and possibly having the Take/Batista match be the main event).

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
The hbk/edge statement reminded me, HBK/Jericho never had their third meeting, they teased it once but it never happened.

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

I don't recall Orten and Cena ever meeting one on one.

possibly having the Take/Batista match be the main event).

I doubt that will happen. Raw's the A show in most peoples eyes and the WWE Title seems to be viewed higher than the world (possibly as it used to be the WCW Title). Not what I think just stating the way the backstage seems to view things.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
Wm21 had the WHT as the main event, when HHH lost it to Batistia.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Usually, the title on Raw will get top priority...as it always has since the split, with the exception of Angle vs Lesnar.

Shawn can carry just about anyone

Posted Image

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
HHH was in that main event. He tended to be more important than any title then.

Super Dragon

Super Dragon

• Members
  • 4,152 posts
The title was also on Raw, which meant it was more important then the Smackdown! WWE title.

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
Posted Image

The more I watch this, the more ridiculous it looks. :lol:

Reply to this topic