Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

WrestleMania 23 Discussion

239 replies to this topic

some-guy

some-guy

Dancing for Rain

• Members
  • 1,794 posts
Only his shirt was off...from what I saw.

Stuckinarut

Stuckinarut

*enter amusing member title*

• Members
  • 3,891 posts
Source: PWMania

Dave Meltzer appeared on the Live Audio Wrestling radio show on Sunday night after WrestleMania and he said that Shawn Michaels was extremely upset and unhappy with his match against John Cena. When he got backstage, he was screaming about how terrible he thought it was.

After the match had concluded, there was a spot where HBK abruptly walked away from a Cena handshake attempt which was not scripted, as they were supposed to shake hands. Michaels was red hot at Cena for not selling his leg that he spent the first few minutes of the match working on. Also, several of the agents were unhappy with Cena for that as well. In fact, you could see during the match that HBK got in Cena's face and started cutting a shoot promo on him, which is why the audio went out for a few seconds and was replaced with crowd noise.

So yeah, I haven't seen WrestleMania yet. Someone...PLEASE explain this? Was it shown on camera?

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,383 posts
Heh, I'm not surprised. Selling is a lost art, and Cena is a prime culprit.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I don't remember Shawn getting in Cena's face mid-match, but I noticed the lack of selling the leg injury. He sold it alright until the point where Cena began to take the offensive, at which point he stopped selling it. I figured the no handshake deal was totally scripted, especially considering the angle they played up last night on Raw.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts

- Cena is the second man in history to retain the WWE Championship at back-to-back WrestleManias. Hulk Hogan was the first, retaining the Championship at Wrestlemania 2 and III. Cena, as well as being undefeated at WrestleMania, is the first to win the WWE Championship match three years in a row.

Interesting. Not even Triple H was pushed this hard.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts

...I haven't seen WrestleMania yet. Someone...PLEASE explain this? Was it shown on camera?

Yeah it was shown, but I didn't connect the dots. Running the tape back now, I think the report pretty much nailed it.

I guess he's used to it. He was primed for the Walls of Jericho and the Angle Lock with spot-on technical wrestling by Jericho and Angle back in '05, but yet...OMG MIRACULOUS COMEBACK. He suddenly shows no effects of having been attacked, most specifically having his ankle worked on by Angle, with his FU where he stands there and holds them forever on what should be a damaged verticle base, then executes it with no problem. Edge, HHH, and Sabu all had matches against him in '06 where he took unbelievable beatings and just...poof, came right back.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
Well it's not just Cena, a few other high carders have been noselling alot these past few years, but Cena defantly does to much hands down.

I mean Hogan used to back in his day, but this isn't the 80's anymore.

Stuckinarut

Stuckinarut

• Members
  • 3,891 posts
Hogan no selling? You lie!

Sixstrings

Sixstrings

I'm still here?

• 2,773 posts

Hogan no selling? You lie!

Just ask Vader... Hogan sells

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
Was not a big fan of this years WM at all.

:thumbsup:
MVP/Benoit: Fantastic mat wrestling between the two.
Batista/Taker: batista finally puts effort into a match and imo they stole the show.
MitB: Although not as good as the last two was still an above average match.

:thumbsdown:
The whole rest of the show: cena/HBK should never have been the main event, Ashley/Melina was awful and I hated seeing Vince for that length of time.

Lord Darth Hunter

Lord Darth Hunter

Sith Lord of Crystal Lake

• 4,399 posts
Regarding the women's title match. What a difference a year makes. Last year's WM featured a well-built up storyline between two women that could actually wrestle. It made it one of the most anticipated matches on the card. One year later and we got Ashley? :thumbsdown:

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Apparently Ashley was crying backstage after the match because she realized just how bad it was. Anyway, I have no real problem with a women's match being on the card, I know its hard to justify them being there when guys like Carlito are left out, but I guess I'm just used to the fact that some guys are going to be left out yet there's always going to be a women's match so why whine about that fact.

Anyway, with all that said, there's no reason for that match to have been the precursor to the main event. Neither Ashley nor Melina is a Trish Stratus, so right there you run the risk of deadening the crowd before the final match of the evening, and that's really what happened. But to switch gears once again, I still don't get ragging on Ashley in particular. You can tell just by watching that the effort is there and her heart is in learning; she's just not there yet, and that's the fault of booking, not her own.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts

I still don't get ragging on Ashley in particular

It's probably simular to when I used to rag on christy. She's not ready/that good, so being put in a big time show and permorming lousy in it will get you ragged on. If this was an episode of smackdown you'd find alot less critisism, but this was the superbowl of wrestling, and expecialy since several guys who should have been on the card weren't, your going to find the weak link attacked. Now if the match with A+ quality, then she would have been left alone.

Yes it's bookings mistake, because she should have never been on the ppv in a match to begin with since she isn't ready. Trish didn't start out anywhere near wrestlemania, she spent a couple of years before she actually got good, then got her Push. With several of their newer women, they are pushing them to early without making sure they can handle it, and it has made the division kinda a joke, and they will continue to get knocked untill they improve.

I agree though that Ashley has heart, and in a few years she'll be fine if she keeps trying, but while it's not her first match on ppv (like it was with Christy), it still was a big event they booked her as apart of to early.

Stuckinarut

Stuckinarut

• Members
  • 3,891 posts
Well WWE have done this before. They get someone posing for Playboy and they automatically get a push of some sort that results in them having a title match, or if not, another match of some sort on a PPV. Hopefully Mickie James vs Melina (which is what we seem to be headed for) will be better. Mickie did some good stuff with Trish last year, and as they both continue to develop, they might start to rebuild a credible Women's division.

I'm still waiting to see Wrestlemania...

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
Oh it's been done time and time again, but that dosn't mean it gives credibility or isn't the week link of the show.

Mickie vs Melina wouldn't have been ragged on as much for they both put on good matches before and both know what they are doing.

Reply to this topic