Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

WrestleMania 23 Discussion

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
2007 is here, and WrestleMania is coming in just a few months. It time to discuss possible matches and storylines headed into the biggest show of the year. That's great news, right?

Well...the following spoiler/rumor regarding the plans for the ECW main event portion of WM23 is NOT good news (IMO :)):

(source)

The rumored ECW main-event at WrestleMania 23 is Bobby Lashley vs. The Great Khali for the ECW Championship, reports PWInsider.

While the company is far from finalizing its ‘Mania plans, the match is now being discussed internally according to WWE sources.

The consideration of Khali for a WrestleMania 23 Championship match is especially interesting due to the fact that a summer PPV match with Undertaker was cancelled over fears that Khali could not produce a quality, full-length match without television editing.

Just...blah.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I thought the consensus was that Khali can't move, much less wrestle, in a wrestling ring? :lol:

Is Batista/Undertaker still the current plans for Smackdown main event? I think that'd be cool with a nice long build up. Unpredictable too, as it'd be fun to see who got the face reactions.

Many will probably disagree with me but on the Raw end I'm going with Cena/Triple H rematch. It's still a fued with potential. It didn't get off its feet last year since Cena was in that universally hated stage and Triple H had turned into a tweener so everything was off kilter, then it was dropped quickly so DX could reform.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Yeah, rumor has the three main title matches being 1) Cena vs Triple H, 2) Batista vs Undertaker, and now 3) Lashley vs Khali.

I'd prefer a new challenger on both the Raw and Smackdown side, but it's understandable on Smackdown to have somebody like Undertaker challenge Batista when there aren't a whole lot of options. But on Raw, there are some young up and comers that are arguably ready. The new dynamic of Cena's increased popularity vs Triple H being so much more over as a face this year than last adds a bit of something, but come WM23, I have a feeling the fans are going to warp us back into an anti-Cena scenario. It used to be stigma reserved mostly for Madison Square Garden, Toronto, and Hammerstein Ballroom - but now, WrestleMania seems to be a place where fans really cut loose. They turn on certain people when they want to see a title change, jump on a particular bandwagon and ride a wave/trend in the crowd, or something...but I can easily see Cena getting major heat this year, at least equal to last years heat in Chicago.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
If that happens to Cena, its only natural what they SHOULD do. But they won't so I'm not gonna even say it anymore, haha. :)

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
I'd probably not order if HHH and cena go at it again. WHile I don't mind HHH lately, I'd honestly like to see someone else besides him go for the belt.

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
My dream main events for this year would be:

WWE: Cena v. Orton (Orton wins)

World: Kennedy v. Taker (Taker wins)

ECW: Lashley v. Anyone who isn't Khali

Orton wins rumble and goes on to beat Cena, Kennedy takes title from Batista and resumes feud with Taker as these guys cannot put on a bad match together and lastly just have Lashley take on Test or something just not Khali.

MitB: Carlito, Benjamin, Finlay, Matt Hardy, Punk, RVD (Hopefully Carlito would win.)

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
My Rumble predictions through most of '06 were either Carlito (to face Cena), Orton (to face Cena or Batista), or Lashley (to face Batista or Booker, whichever was champion).

Carlito probably isn't going to happen because he's feuding with Masters, of all people, just like last year. Orton could easily get left out, maybe in a dissension storyline with Edge (we saw a tease when Edge won a shot at Cena and flaunted it around Orton backstage). Lashley certainly doesn't need it.

It just sucks, IMO, that an event that can instantly create a new top star could be handed to somebody that that has won it so many times before. While I dig the idea that an experienced face champion can help put new heels over, I also think that now would be a good time for a face vs face WM main event between Carlito and Cena. I also think now would be a good time for Orton vs Cena, which we've seen briefly in small altercations but never as a full-blown program of its own.

Left field? It would be awesome for Johnny Nitro to win Money in the Bank at this years WM. With Shelton now teaming with Haas, I have to question if he'll ever be in that match again - especially if they mix all three brands and do so in equal distribution (two of each). Imagining a MITB with CM Punk, Nitro, Matt and Jeff, Finlay, and Sabu (I'd say RVD if he hadn't won it last year) is a cool thing. I'll miss Shelton in this match if it doesn't happen this year, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Nitro in it this year and will be cheering him on if he's in.

whitdogg

whitdogg

• Members
  • 808 posts
Well it looks like Batista, Cena and Lashley are gonna be the champs so here is what I'd like to see them do

Cena vs Orton (Orton wins rumble and beats Cena at WM)

Batista vs Kennedy or Taker

Lashley vs Test

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,595 posts
I'm still optimistic that Orton will win the Rumble and challenge Cena this year. Of course, I thought he'd win it and challenge Batista last year and even suspected he'd win in 2005 before they announced he'd have a title match instead of being in the actual Rumble.

I really really really really hope this Khali rumor is JUST a rumor. I don't understand how they could possibly think he'd be a draw.

ivan5658

ivan5658

The Puerto Rican

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
Here's the thing, heels rarely win at WM.

I would assume that if Orton won the rumble, and right now he's my pick, that Cena vs Orton would be THE main event. But I just dont see Orton winning it at WM.

Carltio is ready, but he isnt ready. What I mean by that is that he has all the tools, but the way he has been booked lately doesnt set him up to main event WM. He needs to go on a huge roll to be a legit WM main eventer... and he is my favorite wrestler on the RAW roster...

I'm thinking the final nail in the coffin for DX will come at WM. Have HHH vs HBK there. Have them shake hands and part ways at the end of it. Feel-good moment. Everyone wins.

If these 2 things happen, it leaves Edge as the odd man out. Edge vs Carlito? Maybe... would be a great program.

Reality

Reality

A Hero Loses Every Day

• Members
  • 9,273 posts
heres to HHH vs. CENA

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts

I'm still optimistic that Orton will win the Rumble and challenge Cena this year. Of course, I thought he'd win it and challenge Batista last year and even suspected he'd win in 2005 before they announced he'd have a title match instead of being in the actual Rumble.

I really really really really hope this Khali rumor is JUST a rumor. I don't understand how they could possibly think he'd be a draw.

Two things here...

1) I'm glad I'm not the only one behind Orton here. With the way Edge was pushed in '06, how cool would it be to launch another heel to main event stardom to kick off '07? And who was the last heel to actually win the Rumble anyway - McMahon in '99, wasn't it? Discarding that, Stone Cold was the last heel to win the Rumble (ten years ago). Looking back, that was an interesting controversial finish. I could see Orton winning in a similarly controversial fashion, just so long as it didn't discredit his win and make him less of a credible #1 contender

2) The best way to push Khali in preparation for this, if there is such a way, is to make the fans want to see Lashley stick it to him. Tease interaction, but don't deliver. Make Khali dismember lesser guys really badly, like CW Anderson and the like. Then maybe Lashley could stroll in at WM and squash Khali or do some type of cool power spot to immobilize Khali and get one of those holy **** reactions to hype up the crowd. Getting the live crowd involved makes things come across a whole lot better on TV, IMO.

Here's the thing, heels rarely win at WM.

I would assume that if Orton won the rumble, and right now he's my pick, that Cena vs Orton would be THE main event. But I just dont see Orton winning it at WM...Edge vs Carlito? Maybe... would be a great program.

Triple H won the main event of WM16 (or WM2000, but I prefer 16 over 2000), then Austin won it the following year with a heel turn in the match itself. It's been six years since a heel won the final match on the card, but what a way to kick off Ortons title run though right? And again factoring in the high profile atmosphere where fans like to go crazy, I could see Orton getting an immense crowd reaction. Good to see another supporter for Orton winning the Rumble, BTW :thumbsup:

Carlito vs Edge would be totally awesome, and I think it would be a great way to bump Carlito's status up a few notches.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,595 posts
Another way Orton could win is if the Batista/Undertaker match which is heavily rumored was the final match on the card. It wouldn't be unprecedented for the Rumble winner to get a title shot but have it not be the actual main event; one only needs to look at last year's WM to see that.

I've also thought about Carlito and Edge at WM and like it a lot. Another potential program (although highly unlikely) would be HHH vs HBK, but like I said, I really doubt it.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
I'm all for Orten vs Cena.

jedi bobs

jedi bobs

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
Hulk Hogan is roumord to wrestle at Mania this year in his retirement match. I only see 2 possablitys

1. Edge, becuse as we all know he was a hulkamaniac back in the day

2. Cena: Why not make it for the WWE title and let Hogan go out on top as wee champion

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
One thing I don't like about Edge vs. Carlito at Mania is Edge would win to keep his run going at Mania. I'd rather see Carlito win this year as last year he and Masters lost to Show and Kane.

Super Dragon

Super Dragon

• 4,154 posts
This years MITB, needs to have Benjamin, Nitro, Kenny, Chavo, London, and Punk or sabu.

Benjamin has to be this years winner. It would be his third one.

Future

Future

Guardar da della conflagrazione

• Members
  • 388 posts
Hogan will never have a retiring match, he just keeps coming back. It won't be Cena, I hope he'll have lost it by then, or Edge. Carlito for WWE Champion.

Mackle

Mackle

• Members
  • 108 posts
Would a Batista Vs. Undertaker match be a title fight? I'm just thinking, as far as I can remember the Undertaker had his title runs when he was a heel, and surely at this stage of his career with him having legendary status with a lot of crowd he'd remain a face?

Wouldn't really like to see Batista ending his Wrestlemania streak either :(

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,595 posts
Undertaker's second title run, starting at WM13, was as a face.

I'm definitely one of those that don't want to see Undertaker losing at a WrestleMania, but really, if UT approves it and is okay with it, why can't we be? I don't think they can force him to lose a WM match if he doesn't want to at this point.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Yeah, that's my mind set. If it happens its because Undertaker was okay with it. No way they could force a guy like him to lose at WM unless it was his choice, realistically. So I'd be fine with it.

Gargan

Gargan

These white pills arent kind..

• Members
  • 8,824 posts
I, personally, want to see Kennedy in the WM Main Event this year.. and I think he'd be great losing his time slot thing by a few seconds, go on to win the rumble then headline WM, rather than go in as champ.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,595 posts
I fully expect Kennedy to win the Rumble NEXT year.

ivan5658

ivan5658

The Puerto Rican

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Would a Batista Vs. Undertaker match be a title fight? I'm just thinking, as far as I can remember the Undertaker had his title runs when he was a heel, and surely at this stage of his career with him having legendary status with a lot of crowd he'd remain a face?

Taker is one guy that can easily become a heel. If he goes to his ultra-sadistic self, fans would turn.

As far as his streak goes, I'd like to see someone more deserving end it. Kane has been mentioned, and that would be fine in my book since he is so respected backstage and is a terrific performer. But yea... if Taker deems it okay, it's okay with me.

jedi bobs

jedi bobs

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
looks like HHH is out of the Rumble and wrestlemania this year.