Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Second Christmas Task

130 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Deadline: Because of the holidays, and several people's schedules, I am posting this early and giving a special extended deadline. You have until December 30th at Midnight, EST to complete this Task.

Submission: Because of my current inability to archive my PMs, I'm almost maxed out (I don't want to delete the 75 or so PMs concerning Task 1 in case any scoring questions come up) and I don't have time to manually save them one at a time. So I would prefer you email your submissions this time to dextergoad@att.net However, I'm sure that some of you prefer to keep all communications to PMs so feel free to do it that way if you wish. But for people who don't give a crap about giving out their email addresses, please email me instead to spare my PM box. Thanks.

The Second Task: This Task consists of 3 Heats and an Extra Credit Portion. If you max everything out you can score up to 280 points. So if you're weak in one area, all is not lost. Especially if you nail the extra credit portion.

Heat #1 Book Scramble

1) Unscramble the ten book titles below. (Each correct title is worth 10 points.)

2) All of these titles are ten fictional novels by nine different authors. Three of them are older classics, and all of them are fairly well known. Some might be more known than others, but I would be very surprised if all of you havent heard of at least 8 or 9 of these novels before (at least, that was my intention).

3) The capitalized letter represents the first word in the title.

4) Eight of these novels begin with the same word.

1. aleuvrnidueeehebnonshykftTrfcr
2. nitohTshaire
3. anetneuehbodekepafddrTecslhvt
4. crelTesrtalehett
5. cwfTdaehetllolhi
6. ayenayhTurwjru
7. rAtmdasyc:aevoMltroSatobenhorHeu
8. snTiihheng
9. dcbiMkyo
10. onedaedThze

Heat #2 Reading Comprehension

Which pizza orders, as stated below, are actually possible to fill? If you don't believe an order can be filled, please explain why. (20 points for each correct answer)

1) Id like to order a large sausage pizza with mushrooms on one third, pepperoni on one third, onions on the one last third. Id also like jalapenos on two thirds and banana peppers on two thirds but no peppers of any kind on the mushroom third.

2) Id like to order a large pepper pepperoni pizza with hot peppers and green peppers, but please put the hot peppers on half the pizza and the green peppers on both halves, Id like the pepperoni on the hot pepper part but not on the green pepper part.

3) Id like a small shrimp pizza with pepperoni on one half, sausage on the other half, and black olives on two thirds but with no shrimp on the other third.

Heat #3 Description

Write a description of two different people using minimum of 40 total words. There is no maximum, but you'll be penalized 1 point for each word under the minimum. Your description will be JUDGED from 1-100 on the following criteria:

1) Colorful, descriptive language.

2) Proper/clever use of simile. (Ex: Her lips were like red roses.) You must use at least 3 total similes in describing the two people.

3) Sense of humor.

NOTE: If you have absolutely no interest/skill/etc in writing, contact me and Ill give you an alternate option.

Forum Exclusive Extra Credit Challenge
For an extra 2 points per correct answer, name up to ten books that Mara Jade Skywalker read during her recently successful year long 50 books in one year challenge. Warning: Each wrong answer will result in 2 points being subtracted from your score. Obviously, Ive turned her thread invisible until this Task is completed to prevent any cheating weasels from peeking.
NOTE: Since Mara read several long series (each of which obviously by the same author), only 4 books you guess can have been written by any one author.

Jaycie

Jaycie

Souless Automaton

• 11,556 posts
Oh great way to mess with my dyslexia SD. :P

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!

<twirls mustache>

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
Why? Why why why why WHY? *headdesk* Why do I get involved in these things? Why-y-y?! :cry: :no:

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
:cry: I did the best I could! :cry:

Jaycie

Jaycie

Souless Automaton

• 11,556 posts
Actually I'm better at the word scramble than I thought. :D

JRB88

JRB88

• Members
  • 282 posts
3 questions:

1. Are the pizza things debatable?

2. If we ask for the heat #2 alternative are we committed to do that? or can we make a decision afterwards.

3. In scramble #7 there are multiple capitals...what does that mean?

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

Cotton-Headed Ninny Muggins

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
I'm stuck on word scramble #3. :angry:

ANd I'm glad I'm not Shadowdog's pizza delivery guy.

JRB88

JRB88

• Members
  • 282 posts
^ Yea ive deemed 1 3 and 7 im possible

eye_of_the_wolf

eye_of_the_wolf

Life is an unsolvable puzzle.

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
hey is there any other way to explain part two because I don't have a clue what i'm supposed to do? Sorry :(

8 and 9 are easy, the other's I have no clue at all :confused:

Edited by eye_of_the_wolf, 25 December 2006 - 02:32 PM.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts

3 questions:

1. Are the pizza things debatable?

2. If we ask for the heat #2 alternative are we committed to do that? or can we make a decision afterwards.

1) NO. There is only one correct answer. :P

2) You're committed, and you're not allowed to tell anyone what the alternative is. :lol: So it's a gamble. But some people gambled last contest and it paid off in a few cases. It all depends on how big a gambler you are. :D

3) I can't tell you what it means, but I can tell you that it's not an accident. Only one of those four letters is the first letter of the book title, but there's a reason all four are capitalized.

ANd I'm glad I'm not Shadowdog's pizza delivery guy.

All the pizza places around here have my number blocked. :cry:

hey is there any other way to explain part two because I don't have a clue what i'm supposed to do? Sorry :(

This is a reading comprehension exercise. Let's look at a sample one to illustrate what I mean:

4) Um, yeah, I'd like a large fish pizza with anchovies on one third, shrimp on half, and crawdads on one half, but I don't want any anchovies on the crawdad side.

As a test of your reading comprehension skills, what you have to do is read this and tell me whether or not this is possible. Is it possible to have the pizza consist of half shrimp, half crawdad, and to have one third of the pizza covered with anchovies AND for the half with crawdads to not have any anchovies on them?

Yes. It is possible because the anchovies are only a third of the pizza and a third is less than a half, so they could all be on the shrimp half. So you would answer thusly:

4) Yes. Because the anchovy third could be all on the shrimp side.

JRB88

JRB88

• Members
  • 282 posts
I dont get heat #3

you just have to describe 2 random people using 40 word?

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
At least 40 words and three similes.

My question: Three similes per person, or three total divided between the two?

bonnie13

bonnie13

A Matter of Time

• Members
  • 28,793 posts
and in relation to the 40 words-is it per person or over both of the people?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
The minimum is 40 words total spread out over both people. Ditto on the similes, that's a total, not per person. (As much as I love similes, that would get comical ...)

And yeah, JRB88, what KFJ said. You're just describing two different people with at least 40 words and at least 3 similes.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Dear ShadowDog,

I think I may be in love with you. This is so much fun. It's exactly what I needed. Thank you, and good night.

Copper

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
ROWL! >:-P~~~~~~

Darth Virul

Darth Virul

The Loin King

• 5,998 posts
Question for SD:
If you're only capitalizing the first letter of the title and not names like in the previous tournament, why are there four capitalized letters in #7 ?

Yours,
Confused

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
If you don't know it by now, you never will. Just give up.

(Unless you know #3. I'll give you #7 for #3.)

JRB88

JRB88

• Members
  • 282 posts
Has anyone solved #3?...it's the last one i have left and im going insane trying to figure it out

Darth Virul

Darth Virul

The Loin King

• 5,998 posts

Just give up.

:(
*leaves*

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Ooo, I've always wanted to drive someone besides my exwife insane. WOO HOO!!!

3) I can't tell you what it means, but I can tell you that it's not an accident. Only one of those four letters is the first letter of the book title, but there's a reason all four are capitalized.

Question for SD:
If you're only capitalizing the first letter of the title and not names like in the previous tournament, why are there four capitalized letters in #7 ?

bonnie13

bonnie13

A Matter of Time

• Members
  • 28,793 posts

Confused

Well, I only got one so far. I have resorted to cutting out letters and placing them in random orders

SD loves to torment

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
So far I have five. I'm happy with just those. Each time I get one the words just jump out of the scrambled letters and slap me on the face. It's quite painful, really.

Mr. Winch

Mr. Winch

Be Mad. It Helps.

• 3,225 posts
As the Reigning Master, I have a question about Heat #2.

What do ShadowDog's culinary abnormalties have to do with books ??

Reply to this topic