Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Christmas Book Club Tournament

295 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Now that I've finally paid off the winners of the last Book Club tournament (it's a long story, mostly involving my incompetence using the cafe express store. Hyuck!) it's time to sign up for the Christmas Holiday Tournament!

Unlike the summer challenge, this Tournament will involve two tasks and will take place over the two week holiday season. No task will actually fall on Christmas or New Years, but I wanted to take advantage of the time period in which most people are off work and school.

Winners of individual events will receive their choice of a moderately priced prize from the Nightly store http://www.cafepress.com/nightly or from the ShadowDog store (the short film Desdemona and the feature film Guerilla! are both available now). The overall tournament winner will receive more Nightly store swag, a ShadowDog store prize, and will TAKE the title of Book Club Champion from Winch (with all the bragging rights that accompanies that). But this won't be all about prizes, it will mostly be about fun challenges and the rest of us having fun watching you do them. And prizes too, of course.

As before, to make this worthwhile, we'd need at least 8 people entering who would stick through the entire thing and not quit if they fell behind after the first task.

Some more details:

1) As before, I will do my best to accommodate everyone's schedule.

2) The two tasks will be different, but some choices will be offered. For instance, if you're not a writer you will be given a reading option.

3) This won't cost you anything but time. If you're meant to read something, you won't have to go out and buy a book, it will be provided. There are no entry fees.

4) Prizes are optional. If you're not comfortable with Nightly Net mailing you a prize because it would reveal your home address, you can still play for the fun and bragging rights. (For this reason, people under 18 may enter. But before we mail a prize we'd need to see parents' permission for you to give us your address)

5) You may only enter under one Nightly handle. No double entering with aliases.

6) The time requirements are an hour or so a week to keep up with what is going on in the tournament and then 2-4 hours (on average) on the day of each challenge (you'll know in advance what the day will be so you can plan ahead).

Also: I'm looking for four impartial people who have the time and interest to help me judge the tasks. No aliases of people entering the tournament are allowed to judge.

If you want to enter the tournament, merely indicate so below. If you want to judge, please PM me your request.

JRB88

JRB88

• Members
  • 282 posts
I wanna try

Chatham

Chatham

like old job

• Members
  • 8,728 posts
I think I can enter. During my break I won't have access to a computer till the weekend. Is that a problem?

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Mr. Winch! your reign will soon be over! Mwahahaha!

I'm in! :D

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts

I think I can enter. During my break I won't have access to a computer till the weekend. Is that a problem?

Nah, that shouldn't be a problem. After everyone signs up I'll do my best to figure out a good schedule everyone can work with. :thumbsup:

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

Cotton-Headed Ninny Muggins

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
I'm in as usual.

Mr. Winch

Mr. Winch

Be Mad. It Helps.

• 3,225 posts

Mr. Winch! your reign will soon be over! Mwahahaha!

I'm in! :D

Good riddance.
Do you realize how awkward the title of "Reigning Master of internet messageboard Book Club" is in my social circles ?

When am I getting the film, ShadowDog ? Have you sent it yet ?

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

Cotton-Headed Ninny Muggins

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
You only won because I went all ADD. This time I will be victorious!

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
:cry: You're not going to defend your title Winchie?!? :cry:

Mr. Winch

Mr. Winch

Be Mad. It Helps.

• 3,225 posts
"I have nothing to gain and all to lose", as the proverb goes.
My stooge may however take part here but my name will stay unaffixed. Unless...there is more in the prize, something you haven't told us yet ? Something worth the WIN in Winch.

If not, I will also consider begging and grovelling good forms of persuasion.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
I'll hold off on the begging until it looks like we're not going to make our 8 person minimum. But I do have some groveling pads ready just in case. :D

GreenLightBaby

GreenLightBaby

Following Kromaggs

• Members
  • 774 posts
Having researched or skimmed the last tournament, enter me. Besides writing a 2,900-3,100 word story is PIEce of PIE. ;) Mmm... apple pie...

P.S. This is in no way a bribe since I know you like pecan pie more.

P.S.S. Get your hands off my PIE! Thanks.

P.S.S.S. Scroll of Resurrection? Please. :yes:

Darth Virul

Darth Virul

The Loin King

• 5,998 posts
I still can't see what you like about Winchie enough to let him treat you this way, SD. *shakes head in confusion*

So the tally thus far is 5 ?

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Meh I may have a go if I can find the time.

Darth Virul

Darth Virul

The Loin King

• 5,998 posts
That's a "yes or no" option you are given, my funky finky friend. ;)

bonnie13

bonnie13

A Matter of Time

• Members
  • 28,793 posts
I'd be volunteering

Book Imp

Book Imp

daily reader

• Members
  • 515 posts
im not allowed to play but ill read and enjoy this one as much as i did the last one. :)

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Okay, so here's the list so far:

In
JRB88
Chatham
Copper
Kung Fu Jawa
bonnie13
GreenLightBaby

Possible
UK Legend Killa

Scaredy Cat
Mr. Winch

LadyGuinevere

LadyGuinevere

Taking on the world with an innocent smile

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
I'm a tentative in.

I would very much like to participate. However, if it involves me being online on a particular day, I can't guarantee I would be able to make it as I'll be staying with family for some of the time. I can take my laptop and work on stuff there, but my actual online time may be limited.

Mr. Winch

Mr. Winch

Be Mad. It Helps.

• 3,225 posts
See, ShadowDog ? If I were to sign in now, you would have a full roster. I'm particulary intrigued since my own true challenge would be KFJ and I don't feel shame in coming second to a mod. But I'm tentative because of the lack of submission and occurence of cat references here.

*continues reading a Destroyer, waiting*

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
I know that KFJ is the bomb, but don't count everybody else out. Chatham rolled in the third task last time and finished in the top five if I remember right. I don't know much about JRB88 but Copper and bonnie are well read, UK Killa is crafty, and I've known GreenLightBaby and LadyG for years and they are both witty and well read enough to stomp a mudhole in anyone's ass. This is going to be a very tight competition even if noone else signs up.

Mr. Winch

Mr. Winch

Be Mad. It Helps.

• 3,225 posts
Pssst. Yes, you, the clever boy. I'm trying to flare them up by belittlying them so that they have an extra incentive to prove me wrong.

Bah ! Bonnie and Copper will never success in this. They are women and unless the books are about food recipes, they don't know their Koontz from their King. Greenlight might offer few rounds but I think her (?) interest will fast dribble out as will Lady G's.
Chatham. Am I really expected to take a Landoite seriously ? And UKLK ? He didn't even finish the last Tournament completely.
AND WHO THE FRIGGING SMEGHEAD IS JR88 ?!!

Hire an extra judge and step up to the plate yourself, bookman, let's see some real contestant for the title.

(now is the good time for any insulted parties to read the upper part of this post again. Take longer on the difficult words if you need)

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
So does anyone know when the two week holiday starts for most schools and officey type workplaces?

Darth Virul

Darth Virul

The Loin King

• 5,998 posts
Sign me in, ShadowDog. Me and a certain member need to see who is the IQ of the household.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
From my seat here in the peanut gallery, my money is on her. :pimp: :devil:

Cool, so we have a tentative eight. :D Can we push this puppy up to ten?

Also, I'm still looking for a few good judges. >:-P~~~~~~~~

Reply to this topic