Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kurt Cobain surpasses Elvis Presley

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
source

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Rock 'n' roll legend Elvis Presley ceded his crown to Nirvana lead singer Kurt Cobain on Forbes.com's list as the top-earning dead celebrity.

The list, published on Tuesday, said grunge rocker Cobain earned $50 million between October 2005 and October 2006. Presley wound up in the No. 2 slot with $42 million, down from last year's $45 million.

Forbes.com bases its dollar amounts on licensing deals for using the deceased celebrities' work or image in advertising or elsewhere.

This was Cobain's first time on the list in its six years of publication. Presley has ruled the roost since its inception, said Forbes.com staff writer Lacey Rose.

Cobain's coup was due to his widow, actress and singer Courtney Love, who sold a 25-percent stake in the Seattle grunge group's song catalog to New York music publishing company PrimeWave.

Ranked after Presley is "Peanuts" cartoon strip creator Charles Schulz at $35 million.

Rounding out the top five were Beatle John Lennon at $24 million and groundbreaking physicist Albert Einstein at $20 million, whose estate profited from such licensing deals as the popular "Baby Einstein" educational videos.

Other celebrities on the list include Theodore Geisel, better known as children's book author Dr. Seuss; rhythm & blues pioneer Ray Charles, silver screen legend Marilyn Monroe and reggae superstar Bob Marley.

Past top earners include songwriter Irving Berlin and actor Marlon Brando.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
more reason to hate courtney love.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
I didn't think we needed any more reasons to hate her.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Means to the end? Sure, it's uncool. End result itself though doesn't bother me too much.

some-guy

some-guy

Dancing for Rain

• Members
  • 1,794 posts
If Kurt was alive he would have made 5 - 10 million probably.

lightsabre

lightsabre

no self-respecting man

• Members
  • 8,522 posts
Speaking of Kurt, does anyone know the name of that new rap song that samples the "smells like teen spirit" riff?

ShadowGhost

ShadowGhost

RAWR!

• Members
  • 4,408 posts
No I don't.

However, I'm glad to hear Cobain passed Elvis :P

DeathLurtz

DeathLurtz

Good thing they stamped that fire out quickly.

• Members
  • 3,563 posts
thats absolutely sickening. I don't particularly like either of them, but Elvis is the king, and cobain's eternal celebrity only lives on because he shot himself. Do you really think Nirvana would have stood the test of time had it not been for his death?

Mezachhas

Mezachhas

What is left will walk again

• Members
  • 5,978 posts
Answer: nope

PS - love the new avatar and quote!

DeathLurtz

DeathLurtz

• Members
  • 3,563 posts

Answer: nope

PS - love the new avatar and quote!

Thanks Broseph.

Tangent

Tangent

Hardcore will never die, but you will

• Members
  • 12,137 posts
I'm sick of repeating myself about Cobain.

Anyone that thinks he didn't do **** needs to look at what popular music was before Nevermind was released, and then what it (re)became after such.

I honestly don't think that Nirvana would have lasted for many more years if he would've lived, but we can't be sure of that. Either way, they were a major driving force in the re-introduction of rock to the mainstream (which happens every decade or so, but it had been in a slump for awhile, unless you really like hair-bands).

BTW, are there no censors on custom titles or did you bypass? I won't say anything cause I don't care, but you may catch a warning. Just sayin', ya know?

Mezachhas

Mezachhas

• Members
  • 5,978 posts
It doesn't censor anything to the left. My location went uncensored for a while before it was changed.

Axiom

Axiom

Alien From Hell

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
A New Century needs a New Rock Hero... and yep I am from the eighties and I am very happy Grunge killed Glam Metal. Thanks Kurt!

Mezachhas

Mezachhas

• Members
  • 5,978 posts
Yeah, and gave birth to nu-metal. Thanks Kurt!

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts

but it seems you're going to have to, tangent, since some people will always put blinders on when talking about him. maybe they're viewed differently because almost everyone here grew up after elvis had already achieved his fame, but they can remember nirvana's rise - so personal taste in music is more of a factor.

it doesn't seem to matter that elvis didn't actually write most (any?) of his most popular songs. it doesn't matter that there weren't even strings on his guitar he was strumming during the '68 comeback special. or that he was at least as popular for his hips and his lip, his showmanship, as the actual music. everyone grew up being told how great elvis is/was, so it's common - almost imbedded - knowledge.

but you watch one or two nirvana videos and there you go. you now can make a full and equal analysis. despite the topic of this thread, total record sales or money made should never be the determining factor on how talented someone is or how important they are. yes, elvis was wildly popular. hell, so was bon jovi! so what? to ignore the fame and influence that nirvana did have - on top of ignoring the talent and creativity - shows that a person made up their mind a long time ago. and the case is closed.

yes, kurt cobain killed himself. and "the king" died on his thrown. after he basically killed himself. so? both deaths are commonly remembered - but hardly the main reason either is still famous. though more so with presley, i'd bet. i'm guessing more people born in the last 30 years are more familiar with elvis' alleged tabloid sightings than his music.

Dangeresque

Dangeresque

is singing in the rain.

• Banned Users
  • 3,513 posts
is nirvana a band?

Yossarian

Yossarian

A Cracked Polystyrene Man

• Members
  • 2,324 posts

Anyone that thinks he didn't do **** needs to look at what popular music was before Nevermind was released, and then what it (re)became after such.

I honestly don't think that Nirvana would have lasted for many more years if he would've lived, but we can't be sure of that. Either way, they were a major driving force in the re-introduction of rock to the mainstream (which happens every decade or so, but it had been in a slump for awhile, unless you really like hair-bands).

Well said.

Duke

Duke

Lord of the Binge

• Members
  • 4,611 posts

A New Century needs a New Rock Hero... and yep I am from the eighties and I am very happy Grunge killed Glam Metal. Thanks Kurt!

What the heck was wrong with music being just a little bit, you know, fun? Besides, in this respect Cobain is extremely overrated. Itīs not like he set out to do that or did it single-handedly.

Yeah, and gave birth to nu-metal. Thanks Kurt!

Iīd blame Rage Against the Machine and to a lesser extent Mudvayne for that atrocity more than Nirvana. The whining in mallcore though... yeah, thatīs Cobain and Vedder all over.

Note: I really, really like Nirvana, saw them live and got Cobainīs autograph when I met him in Stockholm so save the flames until I deserve them, Nirvana lovers.

Beer Baron of Canada

Beer Baron of Canada

• Members
  • 14,817 posts
why does this have to become a compatition between two music greats?

they made different music and were awesome in their own ways. who gives a **** who sells more albums when they're dead? why does everything have to be about lists and numbers?

Mezachhas

Mezachhas

• Members
  • 5,978 posts
Because that's the way Jesus wants it, jackass.

Tangent

Tangent

Hardcore will never die, but you will

• Members
  • 12,137 posts
*Sigh*

Okay, let's not do it this way, peeps.

You guys are welcome to argue about the subject, but let's do it without calling each other names, okay? Call Cobain, Elvis, and their mothers (neither had a relationship with their father) whatever ya want (until they join here as members...umm, wait..nevemind), just don't call each other insulting things, alright?

Thanks.
The Moderation

Dangeresque

Dangeresque

is singing in the rain.

• Banned Users
  • 3,513 posts

save the flames until I deserve them

what's your problem with rage against the machine?

Mezachhas

Mezachhas

• Members
  • 5,978 posts
Sorry Tang, I was just joshin BBoC cuz I know he can take it. I'll try better next time. Don't give up on me.

Axiom

Axiom

Alien From Hell

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

What the heck was wrong with music being just a little bit, you know, fun?

I guess I found most of it talentless drivel. A couple of the bands I liked like Quiet Riot cause the musicians were great. Rudy Sarzo of Quiet Riot actually played with Ozzy Ozbourne which gives him a lot of credibility with me. Van Halen, Dokken, the Immortal Randy Rhoads. The true downfall of the Glam Bands for me though I long since quit listening to them and went with Black, Death, and Doom Metal was Poison and the ultimate lame band... Enuff Znuff: A two string bass guitar and dressed in Neon Green and an assortment of other nauseating colors. Grunge despite their breakdowns once the bands go commercial (flakey money grubbin' bastards but then thats Rock n Roll) are much better. I guess I want a message and talent in my music. I ain't no fun at all!

Iīd blame Rage Against the Machine and to a lesser extent Mudvayne for that atrocity more than Nirvana.

Yep I would agree almost but I wouldn't use atrocity hehehe.

Elvis Presley music wasn't that good though I like " Ain't Nuthin' But A Hounddog " when I was a kid.

DeathLurtz

DeathLurtz

• Members
  • 3,563 posts
There was a lot of talent in 80's metal, but it was all just misdirected. There's nothing like an 80's metal guitar solo. That's what it was about. They knew how to rock, but they just wanted to have fun and pick up chicks so they didn't sing about battle, satan or death.

I think that 80's metal can best be explained by the song 1980's Rock and Roll by GG Allin.

1980's rock 'n' roll, 1980's rock 'n' roll

Another decade has come and faded
Another 10 years in front of you
To keep us all from going insane
All we gotta do is keep on playin'

Rock 'n' roll, 1980's
Rock 'n' roll, just the ladies
Rock 'n' roll, turn it up louder
Rock 'n' roll, never been prouder
1980's...
1980's rock 'n' roll, 1980s rock n roll

C'mon along, it's a rock 'n' roll party
So bring your friends and don't be tardy
You're so far, but you'll never be in
Until you hear what's happenin'

Rock 'n' roll, 1980's
1980's...
1980's rock 'n' roll, 1980s rock n roll

Rock 'n' roll, 1980's
1980's...

Edited by DeathLurtz, 27 October 2006 - 09:10 AM.