Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Saturday Night Live

SNL Digital Short Parody Comedy Weekend Update NBC TV Saturday Night Live

341 replies to this topic

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
This week's episode was boring. The only redeeming sketch was when the "A-holes" went to the gym.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I don't feel bad that I went to sleep then.

Did they say who next week's host was?

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,236 posts
Next week is Hugh Laurie (House) and Beck. Should be pretty good.

I actually thought the John C. Reilly show was really good. There was a really funny Will Ferrell cameo as James Lipton to start it out, and the only sketch I didn't really care for was the "Bear Shark" bit. All the rest were pretty good, especially the "A-Holes Visit The Gym" and "Racist Colonial Williamsburg Guy" bits.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Hugh Laurie and Beck... coolbeans!

Thanks, D-Ray.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,746 posts
I'm turning to NBC now. I'd BETTER not regret this. :angry:

11:35: So. Borat, then. I laughed once and smiled twice. Gotta start somewhere, I suppose.

11:41: Opening monologue pokes fun at English and the English. Big surprise. A few smiles, though.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,746 posts
11:47: "Most Haunted" parody. Dull up until Laurie's outburst, then I laughed. Fart jokes do zip for me, always have.

11:49: "TV Funhouse" is the funniest thing so far. Disgusting, but pointed. (*splut* "HIIIII!")

11:53: "Anthem Idol" winner sings the National Anthem. This might be funnier if I hadn't seen Tommy Davidson do a similar bit fifteen years ago on a standup special. And he never got past the first line.

12:01: The Queen's demands. Again, silence until Laurie's last two lines.

12:07: Hardball! Old Man Hammond still has it. His costars are still wet behind the ears.

12:10: Laurie solo on acoustic guitar and harmonica, satirizing war-protest folk songs. Wicked brilliant.

12:16: Beck sings "Nausea". Funky. :thumbsup: The guitarist has a DMC afro, and there's an Office Space drone on maracas. And on the second stage...it's the same thing, but with marionettes? Buh?

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,746 posts
12:30: Weekend Update. Seth Meyers is now officially funnier than Norm MacDonald. I knew he could do it. Dunno what to think of Armisen and Hader as a pair of gay Andrew Dice Clays, though. I miss Tina Fey. 30 Rock is on at a really bad time for me, and it's certainly not on right now.

12:37: A hospital sketch, 85% House-free. Kenan Thompson finally gets screen time to amusing effect, with Laurie in alarming miniskirt drag, and once again stealing the sketch at the end.

12:43: "The Curse of Frankenstein". Cute idea, a bit of Monty Python-ish lynch-mob funnies. Dracula and Frankenstein needed to be a bit snappier.

12:51: Beck performs "Clap Hands": he on the acoustic guitar and harmonca; his band all play percussion...at (and on) a fully set dinner table. Somewhere between Stomp and Blue Man Group lies...this. And this is how you leave a memorable, favorable impression on live TV.

12:57: A time-honored SNL tradition: take one common annoying everyday habit, repeat it several times, add some alternating dialogue to stretch it into a four-minute sketch, then use it to pad the last half-hour. "WoooOOOooo!" is not my reaction to this one.

12:59: Farewell waves. A split-second before NBC cuts to commercial, Borat kneels down and kisses Laurie on the crotch. The End.

For this season, an above-average episode. Grading on a curve.

Next week: "The Best of Darrell Hammond". The next new episode on 11/11: once again, Alec Baldwin. Musical guest: Christina Aguilera.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I am a bit ticked that I feel asleep. Thanks for the rundown, Six. Although that is the reason I'm ticked... I can basically see what I missed. lol I need to get a DVR. The upside, though, is that this will be rerun in three maybe four weeks.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• 15,236 posts
I watched the entire episode, I was pretty impressed. Not high SNL quality, but like Six said, it was good for this season. The music was the highlight of that show for me, the Beck bits were awesome and I also loved the Hugh Laurie acoustic set. Funniest sketch for me was the Frankenstein bit, along with The Queen's Demands, which had me laughing pretty hard even if the live audience wasn't.

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
so, I just switched to NBC purely because I could find nothing better to watch at 12am.

now, I remembered it was supposed to be someone's "Best of", but in no way did the [Jeopardy] skit I tuned into make it clear it was Darrell Hammond's. of all the hilarious exchanges between Hammond's Sean Connery and Will Ferrel's Alex Trebek, they played the skit from the time David Duchovny hosted and played Jeff Goldblum.

you'd think I'd change the channel since this clearly isn't going to be the "Best of" anyone, but that'd mean I have something better to do with my life.

EDIT: two skits later, and it's still completely unfunny.

Edited by Dave Dark, 04 November 2006 - 11:08 PM.

Dangeresque

Dangeresque

is singing in the rain.

• Banned Users
  • 3,513 posts
aw ****, i missed it! darrell hammond has to be the most intelligent cast member and i love his impersonations :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
it really wasn't worth it. granted, I missed the first half hour, but the best part about the last 60 minutes was the skits rolling during the credits. I completely forgot about the end-of-Friends spoof with Will Forte's George W. and Hammond's Cheney.

it's terrible because Hammond has probably been one of the best cast members of the last decade or so and they ****** up bigtime on his "Best of".

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I'm glad I missed it then. I would have been happy with every Jeopardy skit he was in, tons of Clinton and Cheney, spiced up with some Chris Matthews. Sounds like they went stupid though. [shrugs]

Alec Baldwin is next week. I plan on watching that.

Baldwin's Schweddy Balls skit is classic, I hope they do another.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,746 posts
On now. Late reminder. :D

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,746 posts
"BOBBY MCFERRIN RAPED MY GRANDMOTHER!"

Maybe it's the coffee talking, but this was literally and without hyperbole the funniest episode I've seen in years. Flooded with extra guests, too -- no surprise to see Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan show up in the monologue helping pimp 30 Rock, but hey! There's Tony Bennett scoring points off Baldwin's Tony Bennett impression! There's a well-utilized Steve Martin! And there's poor good sport Martin Short! (A gratuitous and irrelevant Sir Paul McCartney looked lost, though. Why was he there? Did Paul Simon say no?)

I've figured out why this was funnier than usual, too: not just because Baldwin has developed impeccable comic skillz over the years...but because Kristen Wiig finally got in more sketches and showed up just about all her male coworkers. Maybe she's found her own Matt Albee behind the scenes? Dunno, but we need more of her, please.

(Torch, I hope you tuned in and caught the cute "Schweddy Balls" ref.)

Next week: host/musical guest Ludacris.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• 15,236 posts
I only caught about half of it because I had a really long day and got too sleepy, but what I saw was pretty good. It seems like the more and bigger the news the week before the show, the better the show. The Britney Spears and Suddam Hussein skits were both pretty funny, as well as the Martin and Baldwin skit. I fell asleep around the first song, I imagine I missed quite a bit.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I didn't get to watch. My daughter is killing me. I try to stay awake like everyone else my age! lol

I had hoped that NBC.com would do a rewind of the episode today, but they don't have SNL listed as a rewind show. :angry:

YouTube doesn't have anything up yet either.

My guide says that next week is another repeat... anyone know if that is true?

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• 15,236 posts
I'm pretty sure next week is Ludacris as both host and musical guest.

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,806 posts

12:16: Beck sings "Nausea". Funky. The guitarist has a DMC afro, and there's an Office Space drone on maracas. And on the second stage...it's the same thing, but with marionettes? Buh?

:thumbsup:

scantron20

scantron20

• Members
  • 850 posts
this episode was awesome... kritin wiig finally did get to shine in this episode... i loved it... and i love maya rudolph... that woman cracked me up in the that final sketch where she kept singing the same thing over and over again in the background.... and what was up with that siren or whatever that went off during that sketch... you could see maya holding in her laughter... good stuff!

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I'm watching tonight. I kicked myself for missing Baldwin, I'm not gonna miss Ludacris! I like a lot of Luda's style and rap... he has some awesomely hilarious lyrics. Of course not all of his songs are that way, but when he breaks out the funny it cracks me up. I'm hoping he brings that form with him tonight.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,746 posts
Let me know how it goes. I'm skipping this week's ep so my wife can have a turn with the TV for a while.

THT Edit: Disregard! The wife turned it to NBC without me asking. Whee!

Jedi Jami

Jedi Jami

YOU were ok, WE were kick ass!

• Members
  • 8,899 posts
Ludacris was hilarious! The only thing that bugged me was the *****slap method. Way to promote domestic violence SNL!

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
*****slap Method was ehh.

Some of the rest of the show got me to giggle.

Weekend Update brought the funny for me. :thumbsup: x2

Luda made me chuckle during; his opening segment, the lesbian segment and the white rapper segment got a chuckle. Although the white rapper skit wasn't really on Luda. This episode could have been a lot better. Many of Luda's lyrics totally crack me up. I think he wasn't allowed to have much input into the show this week... either that or he is one of those people that don't work well LIVE.

NEXT WEEK: House M.D. and Beck. It's a repeat, but it's new to me! :D

Conmi Cusal

Conmi Cusal

• Members
  • 4,207 posts
Although I don't like to promote domestic violence, I thought the *****slap sketch was hilarious. The interviews were kind of boring, but the Video was awesome.

"Myspace!" "Fall Out Boy!!!" "Chad Michael Murray!!!!"
Anything Maya Rudolph does is gold!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SNL, Digital Short, Parody, Comedy, Weekend Update, NBC, TV, Saturday Night Live