Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Saturday Night Live

SNL Digital Short Parody Comedy Weekend Update NBC TV Saturday Night Live

• Please log in to reply
341 replies to this topic

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Dane Cook is the host tonight with The Killers as music guests. I :heart: Dane Cook.

Anyone watching?

Edited by The Human Torch, 31 October 2012 - 10:04 PM.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,758 posts
A:F6! A:F6! A:F6! A:F6! A:F6! A:F6!

R5-VAN DAMM

R5-VAN DAMM

DITHPICABLE!!!

• Members
  • 6,097 posts
Dane Cook...is MILDLY funny, at best. :unimpressed:

His promoter is much more gifted, IMO. If Christians had this guy on their side, the Crusades could've totally been avoided. :eek:

Anywho...I heard a rumor a while back that SNL was actually getting cancelled. Yeah...I know....shocking, but it is true?? Is this really their last season??

:confused:

The Maker

The Maker

Old Hermit

• Members
  • 11,429 posts
That cancelation rumor pops up like every other year, seriously.

As for Dane Cook hosting SNL... CRAP! I had no idea he was hosting, or else I would've watched it! I was even home and not doing anything! :(

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
My favorites from last night were Brian Williams on Weekend Update and the Homeland Security skit.

"What if I am confident I can produce at least 3 ounces of liquid... or a gel after I'm in the plane?" :lol:

A:F6! A:F6! A:F6! A:F6! A:F6! A:F6!

That was funny. I'm tempted to go on YouTube right now and see if that is a video.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,758 posts

My favorites from last night were Brian Williams on Weekend Update and the Homeland Security skit.

Thank you. I had NO idea who the "Brian" guy was. Now it's funny to me. Clinically, anyway. :thumbsup:

I'd heard of Dane Cook, but this was the first time I ever saw him perform in any capacity. The monologue was my favorite bit, with Homeland Security and the last-minute Whitney Houston/GEICO bit vying for second place. (The real GEICO ads are among our household favorites.) The water-bottle bit was giggleworthy till it tried to turn cerebral and self-referential.

Least favorite bit: "Al Pacino Checks His Bank Balance". It reminded me of a venomous bit that Dennis Miller did on one of his standup specials about untalented Nicholson impersonators (badly paraphrased here) : "They do that move where they pull their hair back from their forehead and they're like, 'So this is what it would be like if Jack Nicholson worked in the produce section of a grocery store!' Let's not take the world's highest-paid actor and have him spritzing in a bag of turnips for five bucks an hour, okay? **** you, you I can imagine working in a grocery store."

"What if I am confident I can produce at least 3 ounces of liquid... or a gel after I'm in the plane?"

The look on Kenan Thompson's face in the background when he said that was priceless.

Speaking of which, I didn't realize Thompson was the only token nonwhite male remaining on the show. I've ignored the show for the last few years and barely recognized half the cast except Thompson, Rudolph, Poehler, Meyers, and old man Hammond. (I barely recall Armisen and Forte. The few memories I have of them aren't fond.) One of the two main reasons I watched was because I found out Chris Parnell and Horatio Sans were gone. My heart leapt with hope at the news.

The other reason I watched was the Killers. Is it just me, or was their singer off-key all night, sounding too much like Robert Smith? And looking way too much like Rivers Cuomo?

That was funny. I'm tempted to go on YouTube right now and see if that is a video.

It apparently is now:

I'm on dialup, so I have no intention of spending half a day DLing it, but the description says it's called "A:F6" and it's Dane Cook talking about YouTube. It also says it was posted six days ago, so it's either an old routine or someone taped a preshow runthrough.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
That A:F6 YouTube video is lame:Osucks. Don't waste your time. By the way, I think Dane Cook is the guy in those new McDonald's radio ads. The one where the guy is all. "AWESOME! I LIKE RED! RED IS AWESOME!" If it isn't Dane, then someone is ripping his bit.

Horatio Sans wasn't soooo bad. I thought Sans as the straight man in the"Rick" skits with Amy Poehler as a little girl were hilarious.

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
I'm almost tempted to think that Horatio being gone makes up for no Chris Parnell. almost.

and what, Finesse is gone? just when he was starting to get funny, too...

R5-VAN DAMM

R5-VAN DAMM

DITHPICABLE!!!

• Members
  • 6,097 posts

It reminded me of a venomous bit that Dennis Miller did on one of his standup specials about untalented Nicholson impersonators (badly paraphrased here) : "They do that move where they pull their hair back from their forehead and they're like, 'So this is what it would be like if Jack Nicholson worked in the produce section of a grocery store!' Let's not take the world's highest-paid actor and have him spritzing in a bag of turnips for five bucks an hour, okay? **** you, you I can imagine working in a grocery store."

Now, THAT'S funny!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts

His promoter is much more gifted, IMO. If Christians had this guy on their side, the Crusades could've totally been avoided. :eek:

Are you talking about Jay Davis? The guy that was on Dane's show Tourgasm? That guy sucked sooo bad! He couldn't string two sentences together and make it funny.

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Administrator
  • 22,123 posts
Who the hell is Dane Cook? And who is Jaime Pressly? Used to be they'd get only big names to host SNL.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
You're just getting old, MG. ;)

Dane Cook has been around for a few years in an "underground" / "college" like sense. He's starting to hit it now. Dane has a movie coming out soon, a spoof-like comedy from the looks of it. Jessica Simpson has huge dumbo ears in it. I can see the trailer in my mind but I can't think of the name of the film.

Jaime Pressly is the blonde chick on My Name Is Earl. She started out her career as a pinup girl and then hit gold with Earl.

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
Dane Cook is the most popular comedian on the planet right now. Wait about eight months and you'll have seen about five of his movies. He's known as the "Rockstar of Comedy!" SuFi, baby.

scantron20

scantron20

• Members
  • 850 posts
I like Dane Cook... but his monologue was mediocre... it got better towards the end... but his bit on suicide was pretty tasteless.... didn't like it... and his monologue went way too long... at this point too... Dane Cook is overexposing himself... i see this guy everywhere now... it's rather annoying...

but the episode was OK... the homeland security bit was hilarious... Amy Poehler as Farrah Fawcett for some reason cracked me up, especially in the skit where she was like "i'm Farrah Fawcett"...

i'm not too sure about Weekend Update... Seth Meyers wasn't that great.. but hopefully that's because it was his first time... time will tell i guess...

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Administrator
  • 22,123 posts

You're just getting old, MG

*CRIEZ*

It's TRUE! I didn't realize I moved out of the SNL demo. But seriously, he's supposed to be a comedian? I thought he was an actor. I didn't find him funny at all. When you say you see him "everywhere"....can you be more specific?

The Maker

The Maker

Old Hermit

• Members
  • 11,429 posts

When you say you see him "everywhere"....can you be more specific?

Everywhere = HBO and Comedy Central. Plus he has that new movie, Employee of the Month, out at the end of the week (I think it looks hilarious, and I might break my Jessica Simpson ban to see it).

scantron20

scantron20

• Members
  • 850 posts
when i mean everywhere... i mean he hosted SNL last year and how he's hosting again... do people even host that fast?? i saw him in Waiting (horrible movie), Comedy Central, HBO, commercials, print ads... his name and picture when i drive down Sunset Blvd.... it's like his name and image are being splattered everywhere that i'm like "enough already".... but that's just me

R5-VAN DAMM

R5-VAN DAMM

DITHPICABLE!!!

• Members
  • 6,097 posts

Are you talking about Jay Davis? The guy that was on Dane's show Tourgasm? That guy sucked sooo bad! He couldn't string two sentences together and make it funny.

No, I'm not refering to the guy he does shows with. I'm talking about the white-collared guy behind the desk at whatever corp owns Dane Cook, and who books all of his contracts and sets his career path.

This guy has made a name for someone who hasn't been seen all that much. In most comedians' cases, they have to do a LOT of shows and movies, and whatnot to even make a name for themselves. Dane Cook is the only guy who you see and hear his name EVERYWHERE....and as someone who used to watch Comedy Central religiously....I have YET to see one thing with him in it! :hmm:

I didn't even know what he looked like until about 6 months ago....and I barely heard a few of his routines last week. (Not that funny.) Yet...I've had the name in my head for over 2 years! :unimpressed:

Take Carlos Mencia, for example. He's been around for about 10 years. Doing all the things that aspiring comedians do until they hit it big. Yet, his name has only hit mainstream media for about a year now. He earned his way up the ladder, where as Dane Cook's name has been in the lights, and nobody really knows why or how. Even if you do find him funny....I just don't get how he can already be a household name, with so little under his belt. His FIRST movie isn't even out yet for crying out loud!! I'm sure it pisses off a lot of comedians who have been traveling the curciut for years to see this, too. :hmm:

He must've cut a deal with the devil or something. :eek: :eek:

Sephi

Sephi

Curse you Frances, curse you

• 18,789 posts

Waiting (horrible movie)

How dare YOU!

monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Advad Disagerer

• Administrator
  • 22,123 posts
Thanks, guys. I likely don't 'see' him because til just a little while ago, I had no idea who he is.

I felt the same way about Ashton Kutcher when he branched out; he was way overexposed. But that's how PR people make a name for their clients.

Guest_danecookfan_*

Guest_danecookfan_*
  • Guests
I thought Dane Cook rocked! Someone is selling A:F6 t-shirts on CafePress that are pretty cool.

lightsabre

lightsabre

no self-respecting man

• Members
  • 8,522 posts

I thought Dane Cook rocked!

I never would have guessed.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,758 posts

This guy has made a name for someone who hasn't been seen all that much. In most comedians' cases, they have to do a LOT of shows and movies, and whatnot to even make a name for themselves. Dane Cook is the only guy who you see and hear his name EVERYWHERE....and as someone who used to watch Comedy Central religiously....I have YET to see one thing with him in it!

He did the standup comedy circuit for years before his face began to show up more prominently on TV. I first heard of him some years back when Snoop/Mez recommended him to me in an old Cantina thread about standup comedy. Plenty of comedians have decent careers doing standup without selling out to TV wholeheartedly. Besides...

--> Research

Anyone remember Brad Garrett's career before Everybody Loves Raymond? No? Standup comedian. He appeared regularly on Q95 whenever he was performing here in town back in the late '80s. Even then, he was a known name in standup, a nobody in any other field. It happens. Assuming that Comedy Central is necessarily representative of standup is like pretending that commercial radio truly represents the best of modern music.

His FIRST movie isn't even out yet for crying out loud!! I'm sure it pisses off a lot of comedians who have been traveling the curciut for years to see this, too.

Waiting was probably the first movie to brag about using him, but it came out some time ago. It flopped, but that's beside my point. It was released. End of point.

Is every standup comedian dying to do TV and movies? Is it fair to generalize that? Or can standup be a fulfilling career -- artform, even -- in and of itself? Discuss.

The Maker

The Maker

Old Hermit

• Members
  • 11,429 posts
Just finished watching the Dane Cook episode (yay internets!). Good stuff, and A:F6 is sooooooo clear to me now!

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I first became aware of Dane Cook through Comedy Central. Dane had a half hour special on one of their Stand-Up series about a year ago or so. Around that same time I discovered Zach "Fat Jesus" Galifianakis. Both of their half hour specials made me laugh.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SNL, Digital Short, Parody, Comedy, Weekend Update, NBC, TV, Saturday Night Live