Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Star Trek XI

1592 replies to this topic

Gman

Gman

Just call me Buck

• Members
  • 1,054 posts
DVD Edition of the discussion:

Got mine on Blu-ray and am about half-way through the extras. All are pretty fantastic. I had no idea that the Klingons were going to be such a teaser. Wow. I think this disk set a new stanard for what extras should be.

As far as the movie itself. Well, I gotta say, Abrams' use of flashes and light streaks are SO MUCH more annoying on the relative small screen than the movie theatre. I don't know if it's because of the HD set and blu-ray, but it didn't seem to bother me much before. But in the living room, it's quite distracting and overdone. Every few seconds and camera angle change there are flashes. Why?

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I had hoped there would be a DVD option for a cut of the film with reduced lens flare. Considering most were added digitally I figured it shouldn't be so hard to remove them. Ahh well.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,501 posts
yeah, i got a blu-ray rip 2 months ago and the lens flares got on my tits so much more than in the cinema

gonna buy the blu-ray as well tho. this one deserves a purchase

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,236 posts
Star Trek will be to BluRay what The Matrix was to DVD. I'm definitely holding off on buying this until we have a BluRay player.

Gman

Gman

Just call me Buck

• Members
  • 1,054 posts
As far as the flares go, in one of the docs this is addressed. The crew is shown constantly turning flashlights into the cameras and Abrams is sitting there at the monitor going, "ooh yeah, that was a good one, yeah awesome!" I think the justification was something along the lines of making the film more organic and realistic or some crap like that. Kudos to them for using sets as much as possible and not blue/green screen. Boo to them for all the annoying flashes.

I'm now wondering if anyone realized how horribly this was going to translate into an HD home release. Like shaky cam and being in the center of combat, I fear this may be a new trend. Let it die a quick death!

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• 15,236 posts
I forget where I read it, but there was an interview with Abrams around the time of release where he was asked specifically about the lens flares. He said that it was part of his idea to have that particular future feel more optimistic. The lens flare was to make you feel as if something spectacular was happening just off screen that you couldn't see.

I think it's a good idea, but yeah, he still overdid it a bit.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• 15,236 posts
Nevermind. Found it.

I'm curious to hear more about why you decided to use so many lens flares, and exactly when you decided to use them?

[Smiles] I don't know what you're talking about. [Laughs] I'm kidding. I know what you're saying with the lens flares. It was one of those things... I wanted a visual system that felt unique. I know there are certain shots where even I watch and think, "Oh that's ridiculous, that was too many." But I love the idea that the future was so bright it couldn't be contained in the frame.

The flares weren't just happening from on-camera light sources, they were happening off camera, and that was really the key to it. I want [to create] the sense that, just off camera, something spectacular is happening. There was always a sense of something, and also there is a really cool organic layer thats a quality of it. They were all done live, they weren't added later. There are something about those flares, especially in a movie that can potentially be very sterile and CG and overly controlled. There is something incredibly unpredictable and gorgeous about them. It is a really fun thing. Our DP would be off camera with this incredibly powerful flashlight aiming it at the lens. It became an art because different lenses required angles, and different proximity to the lens. Sometimes, when we were outside we'd use mirrors. Certain sizes were too big... literally, it was ridiculous. It was like another actor in the scene....

We had two cameras, so sometimes we had two different spotlight operators. When there was atmosphere in the room, you had to be really careful because you could see the beams. So it was this ridiculous, added level of pain in the ass, but I love... [looking at] the final cut, [the flares] to me, were a fun additional touch that I think, while overdone, in some places, it feels like the future is that bright.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I don't believe JJ when he says the lens flares were all done live.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
They show them doing them live with flashlights in the behind the scenes documentary on the first disc. They also mentioned they added them with CGI in the space shots since those wouldn't have been done live. LMFAO But having watched the documentary I don't have any reason to believe he's lying about it.

Having said that, all the flares were ****ing annoying. It was a cool idea that just didn't work for me.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
I despise lens flare. It's so unnatural.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
In fact, one of the things that pissed me off about the documentary was hearing that JJ wanted to shoot on film rather than HD precisely because film shows off the lens flares better. Dumbass.

Gman

Gman

Just call me Buck

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

In fact, one of the things that pissed me off about the documentary was hearing that JJ wanted to shoot on film rather than HD precisely because film shows off the lens flares better. Dumbass.

And subsequently looks even worse in HD! I swear this is one film I would NOT recommend for a blu-ray purchase. Purchase on regular DVD and watch on a non-HD TV if possible. Ugh…

the trumpet player 2

the trumpet player 2

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
People always love to complain about the least little things.

This film has bigger problems than lens flare.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
Of course there are, but that's the most glaring.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
LOL

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
Saw it over the weekend and loved it. It had an old school SW kind of feel to it, one that ST has always been sorely lacking. JJ Abrams always does a good job with character development, and he was spot on with this one.

I went back and read some of the old posts in this thread and can't help by lol at the guy who went out of his way to defend the prequels years ago from people like me who slammed them with good reason, yet now he appears to be the ultimate ST nitpick. How interesting.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Who is that?

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
sol

Reply to this topic