Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Star Trek XI

1592 replies to this topic

Stevil

Stevil

TK421

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
I hate Voyager.

Captain Croaky and Commander Biro Head.

Don't get me started on the Talaxian!

Edited by Darth Ralph Wiggum, 25 September 2006 - 03:32 AM.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Oh it wasn't THAT bad. I mean we had the Doctor and Kes and Neelix were so cute together.

:P

Stevil

Stevil

TK421

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
Y'see now the Doctor was great. Me and the Doctor/EMH don't have any problems.

But you had to mention the Talaxian didn't you and his freak chick. There's problems there that an open airlock would fix. I'd love to see him explode, or combust or something.

Then we have Tuvok who was an idiot.

Tom paris was a gimp.

Torres was going out with a Gimp.

I'd love to shove that ****ing violin up Harry ****ing Kim's arse. Lets see him play it from there hehe :)

Terrible terrible show.

Master Yo-Gurt

Master Yo-Gurt

Holy Cow!

• Members
  • 22,444 posts
I liked Voyager, it was ok (although DS9 was soooooooo much better!). At least they didn't have any annoying kid genious running amuck like in TNG!

DarthAl

DarthAl

• Members
  • 2,073 posts
I have to say (i'll probably getted flamed for this, but oh well) that after TOS Voyager was my fav. incarnation of Trek. I never got into DS9 and TNG for me always dealt waaaaaay to much with the social and personal problems ofthe crew. It was like watching an outer space therapy show; dealing with the crew's problems with their family, friends, etc. It totally lacked the adventure of the TOS, exploring new planets, and alien life forms, etc. To me, Voyager had these elements. A lost in space show, the unknown of never knowing if they would ever return home. It had that sense of adventure and the unknown of deep space that was prevelent in the TOS. Anyway, just my 2 cents!!!

So i'd def. be up for a prequel that shows the early days of Kirk and McCoy. That sounds like it could work.

Justus

Justus

• 13,061 posts

I'm still waiting for a DS9 movie.

Events that will occur before a DS9 movie:

The Star Trek franchise will celebrate a 200th anniversary.

Man develops the technology to build a fleet of real Enterprise-class spaceships.

George Lucas will replace all Star Wars human characters with CG Gungans .

Someone will be able to explain why on earth Rachael Ray has a career.

:P

DarthAl

DarthAl

• Members
  • 2,073 posts
LOL!!!! That's a funny list!!!

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,501 posts
i'm re-watching voyager on dvd just now, halfway through season 4, and i must admit i'm enjoying it
ds9 will always be my favourite tho

and i'm pretty sure spiner has went on record as saying he'll never play data again as androids don't put on weight as they get older

watch the pilot of tng and then watch nemesis, the android has doubled in size

DarthAl

DarthAl

• Members
  • 2,073 posts
Well i guess that's yet another reason why another TNG movie would be a bad idea

ETAndElliot4Ever

ETAndElliot4Ever

Extra-Terrestrial

• Members
  • 2,181 posts
Worf - he always managed to be on the Enterprise during the Next Gen movies, even those that occured during the events of DS9 (I thought he became a Klingon-Federation ambassador at the end of DS9?). Why didn't they just bring the whole DS9 cast in for a film? Gah!

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Maybe it's possible after BSG?

Stevil

Stevil

TK421

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
You get slightly side-tracked and some people ignore everything is written and start telling us how much they love Voyager.

Never ceases to amaze me how someone can join a 20 post+ conversation and only read the last reply.

The thread's about Data btw. Thx to Boba for at least trying to stay on track!

Master Yo-Gurt

Master Yo-Gurt

Holy Cow!

• Members
  • 22,444 posts
Uhm ... WHAT? This isn't about sharing your favourite duck recipes? :hmm:

Sixstrings

Sixstrings

I'm still here?

• 2,773 posts
nothing is better with duck than a nice big, really rare, rib-eye steak. ;)

Data has been done. What more do they have to say with that character?

If they are bringing anyone back, bring back Kirk, Spock, Riker, Picard, someone that might be interesting.

Justus

Justus

• 13,061 posts

nothing is better with duck than a nice big, really rare, rib-eye steak. ;)

Data has been done. What more do they have to say with that character?

If they are bringing anyone back, bring back Kirk, Spock, Riker, Picard, someone that might be interesting.

Okay, on topic. I agree with Sixstrings. Furthermore, Berman and the Gang tried so hard to make Data TNG era's Spock (when to anyone even half awake should have realized it was impossible to match the Spock development), that the character was explored almost more than Picard, and at times too much for ANY ensemble format.

Honestly, the so-called open-ended Data loss ( :D ) plot was too much, too late. Unlike the natural, interesting Search for Spock, and that story's connection to a powerful predecessor (TWOK), after so many TNG adventures (and a few misadventures), i'm willing to bet few care to see a Data-specific follow up film.

Stevil

Stevil

TK421

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
I'm very surprised at the lack of love for our Android friend.

In fact it shocks me at how much people don't like TNG.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,501 posts
it's not dislike for TNG, TNG is good
i just like the others better

Justus

Justus

• 13,061 posts

it's not dislike for TNG, TNG is good

Nailed it. :thumbsup:

Guest_The Wicked God Thanos_*

• Guests

I'm very surprised at the lack of love for our Android friend.

In fact it shocks me at how much people don't like TNG.

Well, TNG is my Favorite version of the Trek spin offs. Its not a matter of not liking TNG, it is a matter of finding the TNG movies subpar compared to the series. For one thing, they try to cram too much into the movies. They also don't have the same feel as the series that made it so great, either.

As to Data, I say keep him dead. It is enough to have B4, who looks exactly like him BTW, have all his memories and personality. To me, the ending infers that Data's personality will subplant B4's eventually, anyway. I don't think it really is necessary to make a whole new crappy movie to actually see it on screen. They should have ended TNG with either FC or "All good Things," and went out strong.

ETAndElliot4Ever

ETAndElliot4Ever

Extra-Terrestrial

• Members
  • 2,181 posts
I like Data, I just don't like that they turned him into a cutesy funny robot man in the movies, where he served as comic relief half the time (if not more). The emotion concept was severely botched.

• Guests
Agreed. Data was little more than a dancing monkey in the TNG films. The emotion chip concept nearly destroyed his character.

Actually, they pretty much ruined all the characters in one way or another.
Picard became an action hero.
Riker just kind of hung out and waited for something to shoot at the Enterprise, or blow up on the bridge.
Troi wasn't really hot enough to pay attention to any more.
Worf did nothing, except make one liners.
Geordi just kind of got his ass kicked a lot.
Crusher was forgetable. In fact I don't remember her having more than 5 lines in all the TNG films.

Well, I guess Crusher was the only one that didn't change.

Stevil

Stevil

TK421

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
I have to disagree. The films didn't change the characters.

The plotline for Data's emotion chip was straight out of the series.

Picard was an action hero in the series. Lest you forget him kicking the crap out of people a fair bit in the series.

The rest is just conjecture.

I find it amazing that you can say 'oh no I do like the series' but tear the crap out of it in the next sentence. Next thing, people will be telling me that they weren't wowed at the cinema by Generations and First Contact when they came out.

Because I know you were.

Fair enough Insurrection was a little slow paced, but I thought Nemesis was a pretty good film.

You guys are talking about the Next Gen cast like I talk about Voyager. I'm just not feeling the love here.

The Maker

The Maker

Old Hermit

• Members
  • 11,429 posts
I pretty much despised Generations when it came out, and I consider myself a big fan of both TOS and TNG. Parts of it have grown on me since that first viewing, but overall it is one of my least favorite Trek outings. Of course, I'm also one of the few people I know who mostly enjoyed Insurrection--it had it's weak points, but I felt the comraderie between the crew in that film came closest to the feel of their comraderie from the TV show.

As for Data returning, I feel the same way about it as I did the death of Kirk. I absolutely hated that they did it, but now that it's done, I would hope the Powers That Be will have the balls to stick to that decision and respect the impact of the character's sacrifice. Of course that's not to be with Data, since it was made abundantly clear that he survives through B4--seriously, that had to be the android equivalent of Spock's "Remember." Data's sacrifice was the ultimate achievement of humanity that he so desperately sought and could have possibly been the emotional crowning point of film, but B4 was the ultimate cop-out, and I think I would have appreciated Nemesis and Data's sacrifice more if he had been eliminated from the film.

Darth Ralph Wiggum, you mention not feeling the love for the TNG cast, but it seems that negativity is because of our love for the TNG crew and more or less targeted just at their feature film outings, and that seems to come mostly from disappointment in comparison to the awesomeness of their television series (well, that's the case with myself at least, although I'm ctain I'm not alone in that). We came to have certain expectations because of the show and films like First Contact. Being a bigger fan of the original series, I equate that to Final Frontier being such a huge misstep after the excellent (and satisfying) trilogy of II, III, and IV--I expected better.

Lobot 2.0

Lobot 2.0

• Members
  • 550 posts
Here's the thing. Theatrical releases don't make sense for Star Trek anymore. Nemesis was a box office failure, Enterprise was cancelled. The audience just isn't there to support it. Add in the fact that the idea that they have come up with has divided the remaining audience they have. and it's doomed from the get go.

The Search for Data is a better idea than the return to Kirk's day, but is still doomed to fail on the big screen. It would be like if the Wrath of Kahn had been a giant failure and then they continued on and did Star Trek III anyway.

It's makes alot more sense to do a TV mini-series. If they get a few million viewers, then it's a hit, not a failure like it would be at the box office. I would be happy if every few years they came out with a TV mini-series. No need for fims, which seem like rehashes of TV episodes anyway.

Personally I'd love to see something like a 10 hour mini-series that features characters from multiple series. There are alot of things that each series has left hanging that could be tied up.

Stevil

Stevil

TK421

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
The Maker:

It's already been established that B4's positronic net isn't as advanced as Data's was (because he was an earlier model) and therefore couldn't sustain Data's experiences and knowledge.

The film ends with frustration from Picard not being able to save Data through B4.

So it's not really a cop-out is it?

You say your negativity is due to your love on TNG, yet where is your nostalgia? It's almost as if you and others are glad the series ended when it did and couldn't give a monkeys about what the future held for the crew.

If the films were that bad then why is it we're complaining? For me it's just like them releasing another episode every few years. Sure being drip-fed something you love over a long period of time makes it worth the wait regardless of 'box office figures' and 'popular opinion'.

My point is that I'd personally rather see another installment of an ageing crew who don't really rake in the millions than watch a refabrication of bygone days. I've given several reasons above why a new crew is a recipe for disaster at this stage.

Lobot:

I'd be happy with a mini-series, but If it was a success there would be pressure to release more and we get back into the realms of 'another' star trek series.

I thought the idea was to stay away from that.

I'm not against the idea at all. New Crew and everything. It's just not gonna work straight to the big screen!

Reply to this topic