All Pink Floyd!

Ike

I agree there. He was like a robot. Another complaint I read quite often, as well as Waters allegedly miming during certain songs. Although I didn't notice.

Oh and Wader, here's a bit of a treat and part of Floyd and rock history. Audio from the infamous Montreal 1977 show where the concept for The Wall was born.

(strong language warning btw)

Pigs on the wing 2 A firework goes off in the crowd, and Waters immediately goes nuts at the crowd for carrying on.

And immediately after...

Pigs (Three different ones) Where the spitting took place. You can hear Waters screaming at the fan in question to come closer, and that "all is forgiven" before hocking on him. Waters sounds completely deranged by this point, and it's quite scary. A brilliant version of the song though. Gilmour's guitar work is excellent...until he leaves the stage disgusted of course...

I've snooped (no pun intended) around for those recordings but never found them before, at least ones that worked. Saved by youtube again.

Listening...

He's got a point. It's not a damn AC/DC show.

I never really liked Pigs on a Wing.

This IS a really good rendition of Pigs (TLO). Damn they were an amazing live band. Too bad, really.

Waiting for the spit....

Nice breakdown, damn.

Here it comes...

Wow, this all makes for a really creepy song in the finished product...

They audience probably thoought it was part of the show.

I'd like to hear the next two minutes backstage. That's what the breakup of Pink Floyd sounds like.

• 1 month later...

Download "Live At Pompeii" if you can for their older stuff, and songs from "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" for even older. Good stuff, yes. Korn cover was uninspiring. Listen to "The Wall" for the real story. It's probably like $15 on itunes, well worth it.

Download "Live At Pompeii" if you can for their older stuff, and songs from "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" for even older. Good stuff, yes. Korn cover was uninspiring. Listen to "The Wall" for the real story. It's probably like $15 on itunes, well worth it.

Thankyou! will check it out at a later date. muchly appreciated! :devil:

I'm actually not really familliar with Pink Floyd. Only song I know is Another Brick In The Wall. Good song,though. Definitly. I really like Korn's version of it,too. Anyway, advise me, please- what are their best songs? Would like to learn more... :yes:

Are you looking for the trippier side or the poppier side? If it's the latter, I'd also recommend:

Money

Time (although it's pretty trippy at the same time, too)

Mother

Wish You Were Here

Hey You

Pretty radio-friendly picks, but I wouldn't have gotten into PF without these. I'd definitely get The Wall (like Spoon said), and also Dark Side of the Moon in their entireties, and listen to them beginning to end. It's totally an experience like none other. :thumbsup:

You bet! Hope you enjoy! :)

Hey, has anyone seen that Classic Albums show on VH1 Classic? They do one on Dark Side of the Moon, and it's pretty darn interesting, if you can catch it. It's really neat to see how it all came together, and what they had to go through to get it to sound how they wanted it. Makes you appreciate the small things a lot more, like how on Time they had to get all the recordings of clocks together and figure out when all the different ones should come in and everything. I like how they had Alan Parsons at a mixing console playing just one part of a song at a time so you could hear all the individual effects and sounds they put on a particular track. Really cool, from an engineering perspective. Anybody else seen it?

Off on a tangent here I know but I always think of Pink Floyd and Iron Maiden as kind of in the same vain.

- Both were particularly successful with their first lead singer, not overly so but enough to get noticed.

- Both fired that original lead singer for offstage problems, then got a new more charismatic (to an extent with PF anyway) frontman.

- Both went on to make rock/metal history.

I always wonder what would have happened if Di'Anno and Barrett had stayed in the bands. We certainly wouldn't be discussing them like this, thats for sure. Still I think both bands would have been influential to the whole system, but not to the extent they are.

Had Barrett stayed in he would have driven the band into the ground, and they would have either broken up in the 70s or replaced him anyway.

I have a dcumentary on the making of dark side, complete with old and new interview footage, parsons and gilmour both at mixing desks breaking down the tracking. It's awesome and learned me good on some basic stuff when I first started recording.

• 2 months later...

I saw Roger Waters last night!! Woooohoooo!!!!!! Great effing show! I had the worst tickets in the world (on the lawn at the back of the place, half a mile away from the stage), but screw it, I had the best time evaaaar! Whoa, that projection screen (at least I assume that's what it is) he's got is in-fecking-sane! There's a picture of a radio projected on it as the show starts (had no idea what it was at first), and then these tendrils of smoke curl up in front of it from a cigarette, and it does NOT look like they're both on the same flat surface - the smoke really looks like it's in front of the radio. I friggin' love that he still does the pig flying and the light show and everything (which said "Impeach Bush" on its arse - awesome!); I expected it to be sort of low-key like David's solo shows for some reason. That was a great surprise!

No word on if Snowy was bored - I could hardly see a thing. Roger looked like an ant, but luckily he had a spotlight on him through most of the show...the others just sort of got lost down there. The other guitar player kicked butt...I forget his name now. Obviously not the same as Dave, but if he's got to have a replacement, this guy's a darn good one. Roger sounded great! I was a little worried after he sort of croaked along at Live 8 (now I discover that that was 2 years ago so it didn't really have much bearing on the present, oops), but he sounded good. He did lip-synch through a couple of parts, but I don't think he did it a whole lot. He sang Have a Cigar for god's sake, which he couldn't do on the album, so I think he deserves a break in a couple spots here and there after that. He looked like he was having fun, too (you could actually see him on the screens...they'd always just show Snowy's guitar and chop off his head, so that's another reason why I can't say anything about his state of mind).

About Leaving Beirut...First, I haven't heard the studio version, so I can't compare the two. But anyway, I liked the idea of the song and the lyrics and everything, so I'm not having the same beef that I would guess most Americans are having, but I thought the song itself was a little "eh." I liked it well enough, though; I wasn't expecting it to come along and top my favorite songs. I was surprised at how little of his solo stuff he played, but unfortunately that came as a relief since I STILL don't have any solo albums from any Floyds. Will get Amused to Death tomorrow, hopefully...

Definitely one of the best concerts I've ever been to. If I'd known it would be that good, I would've tried a little harder to pony up the money for better seats. I hope this isn't his last tour or anything...I'm half tempted to drive up to San Francisco for the Tuesday show, hehe, but I doubt I'd be able to get tickets. Anyway, thank you, Roger, for reminding just why I love Pink Floyd and music in general so much! Rock on, dude!!

Awesome! Hehe, you almost don't need special brownies, though; you can almost get high just by taking some deep breaths. I bet more Southern Californians were lighting up Friday night than on 4/20. Have you seen any of the Floyds live before?

Just a general public service announcement: if you live in Southern California, DO NOT ever go to the Verizon Wireless Amphiteater in Irvine. What an absolute turd of a place. You have to climb Mt. Everest Junior to get to your seats, unless you're some rich b*stard that has pit/orchestra tickets. That hill is friggin' ridiculous! If you have to go there, try to at least get Loge or Terrace...it's still a hell of a hike, but at least you don't have to walk to the absolute top that way. Oy. I don't need to exercise for 2 weeks (I went up it twice, since I walked back down to get a t-shirt...oops). Then it took us a half an hour just to make it back down to the bottom after it was over, because that one stupid little path is the only way in and out. Jeez, if there was a fire, we would've all been crispy fried. If you have a choice between that place and another show in L.A. or San Diego, I'd say it's worth the drive just to avoid the stupid piece of junk. Argh.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so my special brownies landed me in the ER with second degree burns and made me about an hour late for the show. I am usually a good cook but I've been on a mean ruining food streak. In a moment both frightening and hilarious an inferno insued and I ended up splashing said weed-oil-on-fire all over my unclad legs. I was pretty hot under the collar at that point. Well we stopped in at the show on the way home from the ER during "Wish You Were Here" and it was AMAZING! We caught all the show after that up to the final solo of Comfortably Numb. I knew it was the last song and I figured I'd like to beat the rush what with my legs still killing me. Floyd is a definate contender for my favorite band of all time but I'm not going to be part of the herd just to hear this dude live vicariously through David Gilmour for four minutes. It was an amazing show and the final of the first set with "Sheep" and the floating pig really made me feel like I was in 1977.

There was a moment where I walked with my girlfriend as close to the stage as we could before someone stopped us. He then led us around to our seats the long way so for a good minute I stood about twenty feet from a person who has defined my listening and writing since I first heard his band. Surreal as hell! Anyway it was a charge to see him pick up the bass on "Sheep" since he had been playing guitar or singing solo since we walked in. He didn't really put it down after that. I am a big fan of his stripped down playing and watching him work was a real treat. The big ass "holographic" prism at the finale wasn't half bad either.

There is a terrible picture of it that makes it seems lopsided. The prism was made of what looked like thin neon bars. Then a laser/projector shot a white light out of one side and a rainbow of lasers out of the other, recreating the album cover which spun above the audience and bathed the loge and mezzazine in light. Dope as hell.

I always wonder what would have happened if Di'Anno and Barrett had stayed in the bands. We certainly wouldn't be discussing them like this, thats for sure. Still I think both bands would have been influential to the whole system, but not to the extent they are.

I actually like Di´Anno era Maiden and Syd era Floyd more than the later stuff from both.

But seriously, Maiden wouldn´t have become as big as with Dickinson while Floyd probably would have done just as fine with Syd still in the band - if he hadn´t gone off the deep end like he did, obviously. A band like Floyd isn´t as dependent on a dynamic front man as the average metal band is.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.