All Pink Floyd!

Ike

Hello all,

I consider Pink Floyd to be one of the best bands of all time. Not all might agree, but .. whatever.

Anyways, I was wondering what your favorite Pink Floyd album was. I happen to own every single one ever released, and I like The Division Bell the most.

I hope everyone doesn't say DSOTM or The Wall.

Cheers,

-Ike

Ummagumma's studio disk is wonderful for 2CE or mushrooms

Live At Pompeii hands down followed by the rest of them in this order:

1. Piper at the Gates

2. Is There Anybody Out There (The Wall Live)

3. Animals

4. Dark Side of the Moon

5. Wish You Were Here

6. Meddle

7. A Saucerful Of Secrets

8. Atom Heart Mother

9. Ummgumma

Let's just leave Division Bell, Momentary Lapse, and Final Cut out of it shall we?

And why not mention Dark Side and The Wall? It's not like those albums are played out or anything. I don't listen to the radio much but a "Comfortably Numb" here and a "Money" there isn't really enough to get people sick of it, is it? I mean, they once played the "Thong Song" for 12 hours.

DSOTM is my favorite, and why the heck shouldn't it be? That doesn't mean I totally ignore the rest of their albums, it just means that DS is the big blingin' jewel in the crown.

I used to be a big Wall person, but although there are a lot of classic songs on it, it falls into the usual double album trap (too damn many songs period), plus the concept album trap (too damn many filler songs to make the story fit in). DSOTM is a much more cohesive, complete sounding album, at least to me. Here's a list of all of them in order (good thinking, Mez):

1. Dark Side of the Moon

2. The Wall

3. Wish You Were Here

4. Animals

5. Piper at the Gates of Dawn

6. Meddle

7. Obscured by Clouds

8. A Saucerful of Secrets

9. Division Bell

10. Music From the Film More

11. Ummagumma

12. A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Still don't have Atom Heart Mother or Final Cut. And this is just studio albums...I only have the Live at Pompeii DVD, so I wouldn't know how it shapes up to the rest of them.

edit: forgot OBC and More, which is weird since I love OBC...

EDIT-Probably won't be recognized that I edited it, but here's my reasons why:

Dark Side of the Moon-Each track is entirely different than the other, and if you've got a scene in a movie that's entirely diffferent than the other then you've got a great movie. *hint-hint* Same goes for an album. And this is the rare occasion.

Atom Heart Mother-I love the opening suite more than anything else. So mystifying and enthralling. But the B-Side has each member shining with a tune of their own. Can't get more complete than that.

Saucerful of Secrets-To me, it's the premier psychadelic album of it's time. Syd proves his authority while Roger shines BIG witn "Set-Controls/Heart of the Sun". And instrumentally, the band could do wonders (Without Syd) on the title track

Wish You Were Here-Vocally, IMO, this is Dave at his best. Besides that, the arc of this album is flawless

The Wall-Rogers might ham it up a bit too much in this slight auto-biography, but the accompanying title-band get's it's share in to make this legendary concept album MUCH more memorable than it could have been.

Animals-You could say that this is too short of an album to take notice of (It's only got 4½ songs) but the impression it leaves (Most notably with "Dogs" and "Sheep") is strong that you can't help but to call it a classic.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn-Delirious Syd at his highest peak. 'Nuff Said

Meddle-Best remembered, In My Book, for being the Floyd album that has the best bookends, "One of these Days" and "Echoes".

Ummagumma-A live album that has to be heard to be believed

Obscured by Clouds-A bit similar to MEDDLE (The band's highest point, IMO) but not quite as memorable

Let's just leave Division Bell, Momentary Lapse, and Final Cut out of it shall we?

If you say so.

I'm a huge fan of the Floyd, for those who aren't in the know they recently released "Pulse" on DVD which is an awesome concert where Pink Floyd, minus Roger Waters, put on a huge show (they play DSOTM in its entirety along with an hours worth of other great songs).

My favorite albums, I'm more of a fan of the post-Syd era when Waters was still in the band:

DSOTM - Easily makes the top three in my favorite albums of all time. The music and its lyrical themes have stood the test of time and will continue to set a benchmark in rock-dom.

The Wall - Roger Waters and David Gilmour are an awesome combination when they are able to work together, this album and its DVD movie incarnation are great.

WYWH - The title-track and 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' are some of my favorite songs; just proves that Pink Floyd's themes and musical genius are timeless.

I do like a few songs from the other albums such as: Learning to Fly, High Hopes, Echos, and a few from Piper but I'm too lazy to hunt for the track titles on my computer. In regards to "Live in Pompeii," I need to revisit that DVD however my initial impression was that its just too dated and doesn't face up to the tests of time.

Live At Pompeii isn't dated at all. Check out the director's cut with the film restored to better quality. Ironicly the trade off is that it has cheesey computer effects in it that are.. well, dated.

I'm sure you've all seen the Beastie Boys video for "Gratitude". They "re-enact" Live at Popei and even use Pink Floyd's old gear!

Indeed. The simple fact is that Gilmour and Waters cannot occupy the same area of space without wanting to kill each other. I read an interview with Gilmour where he talked about there being actual *****iness while they were rehearsing for Live 8, and that was only after hanging out for a couple of hours. In a perfect world the death of Syd would show these guys that life is too short for this sort of crap, but if nearly 40 years of him being cut off and driven insane couldn't do it, nothing ever will.

Also, it would be totally out of character as a way to honour Syd, who just wanted to be left alone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.