Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PLAYSTATION 3 discussion

435 replies to this topic

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts

That's fine, if you don't want to play Sony exclusive games, such as Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry 4, Killzone 3, Tekken, etc. etc..

If I had to choose those between Gears of War, Grand Theft Auto 5, Halo 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, Mass Effect, and Lost Oddysee... I'd go with the latter, and save $200 choosing to do so.

Not to mention games my (most of our) PC(s) can't handle in high fidelity, such as Oblivion and Bioshock.

RavEMasteR

RavEMasteR

• Members
  • 4,034 posts

That's fine, if you don't want to play Sony exclusive games, such as Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry 4, Killzone 3, Tekken, etc. etc..

If I had to choose those between Gears of War, Grand Theft Auto 5, Halo 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, Mass Effect, and Lost Oddysee... I'd go with the latter, and save $200 choosing to do so.

Not to mention games my (most of our) PC(s) can't handle in high fidelity, such as Oblivion and Bioshock.

Then suit yourself. That's where you lie on the gaming spectrum. I personally side with Japanese RPGs/Action Games, so...., yeah, my money's with Sony.

I understand the money bit, but I know I can afford both the Xbox 360 and the PS3, and if I had to choose one, I'd go with the PS3, since money is not an issue for me. You may save $200 with the 360, but you'd never get the games that are exclusive to Sony.

Say what you will, but the system price tag is WAY too expensive. As much as I'd love to play some of those games, it'll be quite a while before I get a PS3.

Or yeah, wait for the price drop.

Add to that the fact that if people won't buy the expensive console, then those games suddenly won't be so 'exclusive.'

Depends. GameCube had a number of exclusives despite the abysmal sales. But I wonder, will DMC4 suddenly show up on the 360 or Wii? Final Fantasy XIII, when announced to be EXCLUSIVE for the PS3, suddenly showing up on 360? Tekken, the lifelong Playstation fighting game franchise, showing up on Wii or 360?

Don't know yet. If you're gonna gamble US$400 on a 360, and PRAY that they show up, well..., you're nuts.

BTW, the 360 is still not selling well in my country. =( Damned pirates.

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts
I love Japanese RPG's; hence, I mentioned Lost Odysee. What makes you so sure the PS 3 will have better Japanese RPG's this generation anyway? Too, an RPG isn't going to neccessarilly be better just because it's of a certain franchise. Keep that in mind.

And for some reason the western RPG's, ie Mass Effect and Bioshock, stole the show at E3 this year.

Edited by A Munkeys Uncle, 15 July 2006 - 10:38 AM.

JonTucker

JonTucker

Halo -4- Life

• Members
  • 9,216 posts

Add to that the fact that if people won't buy the expensive console, then those games suddenly won't be so 'exclusive.'

Depends. GameCube had a number of exclusives despite the abysmal sales. But I wonder, will DMC4 suddenly show up on the 360 or Wii? Final Fantasy XIII, when announced to be EXCLUSIVE for the PS3, suddenly showing up on 360? Tekken, the lifelong Playstation fighting game franchise, showing up on Wii or 360?

Don't know yet. If you're gonna gamble US$400 on a 360, and PRAY that they show up, well..., you're nuts.

Oooh... You brought up the GC... Let's look at the GC's biggest, best, absolutely most amazing 'win' in terms of exclusivity:

Capcom, and by rights, Resident Evil 4

It was exclusive for all of, what, 9 months? And why did it stop being exclusive? Because of that huge deal that Nintendo signed with Capcom to keep certain games on Nintendo only. Like Viewtiful Joe, P.N. 03, and Killer 7... Yeah, they couldn't sell enough copies on the GC, so they turned around and broke their agreement with Nintendo costing them $$$, but ended up making a ****load more money.

Now, come November 17, if you have to wait 4-6 months to get a PS3, then the exclusive part of your argument might hold up. However, I really doubt that the PS3 is going to be flying off shelves.

Every game you mentioned other than Killzone is done by third party developers that have histories of multiplatform release. Rockstar has seen the writing on the wall and jumped on over. Those other companies may just join them towards 2008.

JonTucker

JonTucker

Halo -4- Life

• Members
  • 9,216 posts
As far as the "$400 and pray they show up" comment:

That's a helluva lot smarter than "I'll pay $600 to play the new Final Fantasy," since that's actually the only game listed that I care anything about. Tekken hasn't done anything new since Tekken 3, and we have DoA if we want mindless fighters. Killzone is a poor man's Halo, if the poor man also happens to be homeless, blind, and deaf. Soul Caliber has been multiplatform, anyway, so Namco has a history there.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
ie. Splinter Cell

Clone Trooper 1138

Clone Trooper 1138

• Members
  • 903 posts
If you really want to know how the PS3 stacks up against competition. These graphs sums it up quite well.
(They wont let me link to their images.)

Source

Paratech

Paratech

• Members
  • 10,106 posts

Oooh... You brought up the GC... Let's look at the GC's biggest, best, absolutely most amazing 'win' in terms of exclusivity:

Capcom, and by rights, Resident Evil 4

It was exclusive for all of, what, 9 months? And why did it stop being exclusive? Because of that huge deal that Nintendo signed with Capcom to keep certain games on Nintendo only. Like Viewtiful Joe, P.N. 03, and Killer 7... Yeah, they couldn't sell enough copies on the GC, so they turned around and broke their agreement with Nintendo costing them $$$, but ended up making a ****load more money.

Now, come November 17, if you have to wait 4-6 months to get a PS3, then the exclusive part of your argument might hold up. However, I really doubt that the PS3 is going to be flying off shelves.

Every game you mentioned other than Killzone is done by third party developers that have histories of multiplatform release. Rockstar has seen the writing on the wall and jumped on over. Those other companies may just join them towards 2008.

I hate to say it but blind product loyalty will ensure millions of PS3s selling...I won't be one of them, but I waited 5 years to buy a PS2, and I don't feel like I missed anything, I do however, LOVE Tekken Tag, even though it wasn't great and I bought Tekken 5 for the arcade perfect Tekken 1-3 *at $20*...

for the money I could spend on a PS3, I can buy an XBOX and upgrade my PC...Which I'll hopefully be doing...even if it takes me foooooooooorever..... *bad sponge bob joke* ...

Dangeresque

Dangeresque

is singing in the rain.

• Banned Users
  • 3,513 posts

none of those games interest me either. FFVII is my favorite game, but to me, every FF after FFIX has looked extremely homosexual. plus i'm not a huge gamer...the latest system i have is dreamcast. my brother has the new stuff, and i have a computer.

Edited by Dangeresque, 17 July 2006 - 03:09 PM.

Darkside

Darkside

drove through ghosts to get here...

• Members
  • 3,623 posts

If you really want to know how the PS3 stacks up against competition. These graphs sums it up quite well.
(They wont let me link to their images.)

Source

That's definetly interesting...

It's interesting that when people consider price points for these consoles, they forget about inflation. However, it's still important to consider that consoles such as the 360 and Wii are priced less at today's inflation rates. When you consider that, you consider just how expensive the PS3 really is.

EDIT: As stated in a comment on that blog. It is important to notice "the platforms that failed on the list." Notice that the two most outrageously priced consoles, " the NeoGeo and the 3DO" were two consoles that failed horribly in the gamer market. "They were graphically/technically fantastic at the time they were released, but they failed compared to their modestly performing (but modestly priced) competitors."

Edited by Darkside, 15 July 2006 - 11:38 PM.

JonTucker

JonTucker

Halo -4- Life

• Members
  • 9,216 posts
Paratech, I agree with you on the 'blind-product loyalty' angle, but I just don't see the masses forking over $1000 each on a console, games, and Blu-Ray movies all at once. I'd love to see the attach rate on PS3 after 3 months on shelves. If it's over 3, then I'll be completely wrong, but I'll surprised if it's more than 1.5.

demon0

demon0

Demon Overlord

• Members
  • 570 posts
You're kidding yourselves if you don't think the PS3 will sell. $500 is only an extra hundred bucks over the Xbox 360. And don't even give me **** about the $500 one being "crippled", as that link posted above says. The $600 version just has a bunch of filler features that most people don't need/want anyway. The only thing you could possibly care about is wireless internet since your PS3 may be in a different room than your PC/router. Sony has already confirmed that you can buy a wireless USB add-on. Oh, and need I bring up that the Xbox's wireless add-on costs $99? And you call PS3 a rip-off.

But let's pretend that PS3 actually is a rip off (which, of course, it isn't, but I'll just humor you)... it will still sell out at launch, even with the 2 million initially shipped. Sony said they will have 6 million shipped by January 2007, and I'm telling you that it will still sell out at that point. In Japan, especially, I see it very hard to get for a LONG time.

And of course eventually the initial demand will fade, but I see it still selling. Once 2007 rolls around and we start seeing the killer games pop up, people will realize why they NEED PS3.

Believe all the hype or not, the PS3 has some exclusives that fans can't turn down. Final Fantasy XIII has already been mentioned in this topic (btw, AMU, you say don't believe an RPG is going to kick ass just because it comes from a good franchise? Have you read the previews of FF13? Graphically, it destroys pretty much every game I've seen, and you don't have to worry about Square Enix making a compelling story, music, and characters. The only thing your left with is gameplay, which, from the trailer looks awesome.) But the one it seems you forgot to mention that is the largest one: Metal Gear Solid 4. There are thousands of people who are die hard MGS fans and will buy a PSP and PS3 just to play MGS: PO and MGS4, respectively.

God of War III is also on the horizon. (though far, far off)

As far as why PS3 is going to be better for Japanese RPGs.... for starters, Sony is a Japanese-based company, and absolutely owns Xbox in Japan. Beyond that, Sony has been the goto guys for niche RPGs ever since the PS1. Not only do they get big names like Square Enix, but almost all of the excellent RPGs that you never heard of are for PS2. Naturally, this same concept will follow to the PS3.

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts

You're kidding yourselves if you don't think the PS3 will sell. $500 is only an extra hundred bucks over the Xbox 360. And don't even give me **** about the $500 one being "crippled", as that link posted above says. The $600 version just has a bunch of filler features that most people don't need/want anyway.

Compared to the $600 PS3 package the $500 version is crippled.

We've known since E3 that $500 version lacks: SOURCE

-the built-in Wi-Fi you mentioned

-NO HDMI support

-NO Memory Stick, SD or Compact Flash reading capability

-Only comes with the wired version of the PS3 controller [though it will support the wireless controllers]

And before anyone replies with it, yes Sony has plans on releasing a seperate USB card reader.

Despite the availability of the adaptors - the $500 PS3 is still crippled. Why? because it will not have an HDMI output.

Without the HDMI output you are limited to a 1080i picture on games [assuming you're interested in the HD aspect]. What's more, once the movie studios decide to activate the Image Constraint Token [part of Blu-Ray's anti-piracy measures] any of those expensive Blu-Ray home videos released afterwards get downgraded to a "standary definition" picture quality because you lack the approved digital connections.

JonTucker

JonTucker

Halo -4- Life

• Members
  • 9,216 posts
Anyone that has 1080p capability right now won't even sneeze at the PS3's price.

And I don't think anyone has ever termed the PS3 a 'ripoff.' Don't go putting words in people's mouths, nub.

RavEMasteR

RavEMasteR

• Members
  • 4,034 posts
Also, about RPGs, if you're a smalltime Japanese developer, would you like to contact Microsoft HQ in America to strike a deal, or Sony HQ next door for the same thing?

Sixstrings

Sixstrings

I'm still here?

• 2,773 posts

Also, about RPGs, if you're a smalltime Japanese developer, would you like to contact Microsoft HQ in America to strike a deal, or Sony HQ next door for the same thing?

I don't think location matters anymore. A number of years ago... sure, but with video confrencing, the internet etc.... no need to be right downt the road, everyone is available anywhere.

It is more based on cost vs risk vs return with a small company, much the same as a big company. There is just more risk with a small company

RavEMasteR

RavEMasteR

• Members
  • 4,034 posts
That's why I said SMALLTIME Japanese developer. First of all, it's not as easy as just dialing Microsoft's number to get the guy in charge on the phone. You need the proper contacts to the insiders.

Video conferencing with the dude in charge? What makes you think he's free to sit down to listen to your new proposal?

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
Could a smalltime developer anywhere in the world actually afford the cost of developing on the PS3? From the reports I've seen on sites like Engadget and Joystiq the developing on the PS3 requires such a large investment that many/most smaller developers the world over have yet to commit to the system, if not outright chosen not to develop for the PS3.

Now don't construe what I said to mean the PS3 is 'bad system'. I'm certain it'll have enjoyable titles - but the question will there be enough high caliber titles?

RavEMasteR

RavEMasteR

• Members
  • 4,034 posts
The cheapest to develop for will always be Nintendo. However, I have my doubts about the development cost for the PS3. Will Sony really shoot themselves in the foot? The PS2 and PS1 both had a HUGE library of games, from smalltime developers nobody has heard of, to big names like EA and Ubisoft. I not exactly sure that Sony's willing to kill this "legacy".

Sixstrings

Sixstrings

I'm still here?

• 2,773 posts

That's why I said SMALLTIME Japanese developer. First of all, it's not as easy as just dialing Microsoft's number to get the guy in charge on the phone. You need the proper contacts to the insiders.

Video conferencing with the dude in charge? What makes you think he's free to sit down to listen to your new proposal?

LOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLL

Wow... I sit in video conferences with small time companys all the time and the company I work for is friggin huge and competes with Microsoft on many levels.

Also, contacts are not hard to make.. Trade shows, developer meets, through consulting contacts. Big companys make huge money by taking ideas from smaller companies or buying the smaller company.

Let's give you some examples of MS products that came from small companies....

Internet Explorer
Word
Excel
Powerpoint
Visio

You would be amazed how easy it is to get a contact at a big company and pitch an idea. The harder part is impressing that contact in order to push you up the chain.

Ness

Ness

Slightly Above Average

• Members
  • 5,954 posts

Anyone that has 1080p capability right now won't even sneeze at the PS3's price.

And I don't think anyone has ever termed the PS3 a 'ripoff.' Don't go putting words in people's mouths, nub.

aaaCHOOOO

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts

:confused: I didn't call the PS3 a ripoff...

RavEMasteR

RavEMasteR

• Members
  • 4,034 posts

LOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLL

Wow... I sit in video conferences with small time companys all the time and the company I work for is friggin huge and competes with Microsoft on many levels.

Also, contacts are not hard to make.. Trade shows, developer meets, through consulting contacts. Big companys make huge money by taking ideas from smaller companies or buying the smaller company.

Let's give you some examples of MS products that came from small companies....

Internet Explorer
Word
Excel
Powerpoint
Visio

You would be amazed how easy it is to get a contact at a big company and pitch an idea. The harder part is impressing that contact in order to push you up the chain.

*shrugs*

I still don't think Sony's about to shoot themselves in the foot.

Sixstrings

Sixstrings

I'm still here?

• 2,773 posts
Sony is a fairly smart company (Beta max being the only blemish I can think of... and all companies have those). I don't think they will shoot themselves in the foot either. A small company has a large uphill battle.

I am interested to see how this console war heats up and really interested to see how the PS3 does.

I am not sure it makes more sense to buy a 360 if you are a person who has 50 or more games for the PS that you will have no ability to play on the 360. The 600 might be worth it then so you don't have to buy these games again. It will be interesting.....

Joedark0

Joedark0

King of the Useless

• Members
  • 5,448 posts

Sony is a fairly smart company (Beta max being the only blemish I can think of... and all companies have those). I don't think they will shoot themselves in the foot either. A small company has a large uphill battle.

I am interested to see how this console war heats up and really interested to see how the PS3 does.

I am not sure it makes more sense to buy a 360 if you are a person who has 50 or more games for the PS that you will have no ability to play on the 360. The 600 might be worth it then so you don't have to buy these games again. It will be interesting.....

Here's a list of all their blemishes:

http://dubiousqualit...06/07/sony.html

Reply to this topic