Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PLAYSTATION 3 discussion

• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
I'm sorry, but do you expect them not to promote their own product?

Gaming has now become a cut-throat business because of the high prices that come with it.

Its an economy maker or breaker.

But seriously, who gives a ****? Theres no way an article that will be read only by you guys, and the few thousand others in the world, will stop them buying their favourite console?

Zaon Dianco

Zaon Dianco

The Avatar of Chaos

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
The dude has a point

demon0

demon0

Demon Overlord

• Members
  • 570 posts

I'm sorry, but do you expect them not to promote their own product?

Gaming has now become a cut-throat business because of the high prices that come with it.

Its an economy maker or breaker.

But seriously, who gives a ****? Theres no way an article that will be read only by you guys, and the few thousand others in the world, will stop them buying their favourite console?

Well, I think that is Microsoft's biggest problem. If I ask older people (not guys my age, but like those in their 30's and 40's) that are gamers, they are either Sony or Nintendo. Most of them see the XBOX as some hulking and underpowered machine, which is a misconception (I liked the original Xbox, but it just didn't have enough good games. But I hate what the 360 currently has to offer, but maybe GOW and H3 will change my mind). And they are all highly misinformed on almost everything surrounding Microsoft's gaming platforms. It is just a simple fact that because they entered the industry late, they are totally missing out on a bunch of their audience. And wow... my grandfather saw Xbox 360 on the news and thought it was a computer. No lie. That is how well the news reports on gaming matters.

RavEMasteR

RavEMasteR

• Members
  • 4,034 posts
LOL. In my experience, the older gamers here tell me, "Well, the XBox is merely the superior version of the PS2."

The younger generation tend to stick with PS2s though.

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts
Same here Rave. As a matter of fact I'm 36 myself and I have very few friends that prefer the PS 2. I'm talking about some beer drinking farts that are in their early 50's :lol: Not that they don't like the PS 2.

Also keep in mind that the Xbox had the highest rate of games sold per console for a reason. The people buying the system have money, and buy these games for themselves.

And demon, just a side note. I don't think entering the gaming scene in 1980 would be considered "late." Ending sarcasm. Gaming started in our generation. Sure during the days of the PSX and N 64 many of us were doing other things (riding skateboards, drinking beer, and listeing to punk rock music), but you can bet your ass that there were the occasional Golden Eye (N 64), Madden (multi), Hot Shots (PSX), and/or Rally Sport (PSX)multiplayer gatherings. And then there was the game that you took a few weeks off to complete on your own, such as Final Fantasy VII.

We got to see gaming from the beginning to present day, so don't say people in their 30's are coming into the gaming scene late.

Edited by A Munkeys Uncle, 03 June 2006 - 12:35 AM.

Guest_Amidala777_*

Guest_Amidala777_*
  • Guests

I think the game developers recognize that console "gaming" is quickly going to become console "entertainment". And the first one to the punch is going to be seen as the "innovator", even if every other company is working on the same thing.

see the thing is though... is there a market for that? i know gaming is being pushed slowly in that direction, but right now trying to make the console entertainment system seems to just be increasing prices, which i think may alienate buyers. i just don't know if there's demand yet for an all-in-one system. most people already have DVD players, stereos, and PCs... the key is whether or not people will want to upgrade their previous entertainment hardware with the all-in-one PS3. i'm sure that some might... but at least in my experience.. people that want to upgrade PCs will just deck out with a hard-core gaming system, while other users that don't need PC power might not really need or want PC features in a gaming system when they already have a desktop.

otherwise, good points all around

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Hardcore gamers - Microsoft

Casual - Sony

Fun lovin - Nintendo

Thats the way the business works

RavEMasteR

RavEMasteR

• Members
  • 4,034 posts
I don't think casual gamers will enjoy the likes of Devil May Cry 3 on the PS2(one of the hardest games in history), UKLK. Each console has their own share of games for the hardcore, casual and fun loving.

Final DarkHour

Final DarkHour

• Members
  • 3,770 posts
Naw, Casual gamer's dig that brain dead designed to look cool game too, they just find it really hard until they die tons of times and play it on the very easy mode, where it holds your hand to victory. Seriously, I know a whole lot of people that enjoy fighting devil clows with a slack jawed hick in a red trenchcoat. Yes i'm bitter about Halo 2's crappy single player too, sue me.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Yes, but people don't go ape**** over DMC3 like some people do over Halo. I agree it isn't for the casual gamer, but it sin't as 'absorbing' as otehr games on the X-Box.

You get your fair share on each, but the PS2 has much more 'a play a day' games. X-Box I asociate with marathons throughout the night eating pizza.

This is just in general, I people who play PS2 all night and things, on the same game. But many more who do so on X-Box. And they generally tend to be the nerds.

demon0

demon0

Demon Overlord

• Members
  • 570 posts

Same here Rave. As a matter of fact I'm 36 myself and I have very few friends that prefer the PS 2. I'm talking about some beer drinking farts that are in their early 50's :lol: Not that they don't like the PS 2.

Also keep in mind that the Xbox had the highest rate of games sold per console for a reason. The people buying the system have money, and buy these games for themselves.

And demon, just a side note. I don't think entering the gaming scene in 1980 would be considered "late." Ending sarcasm. Gaming started in our generation. Sure during the days of the PSX and N 64 many of us were doing other things (riding skateboards, drinking beer, and listening to punk rock music), but you can bet your ass that there were the occasional Golden Eye (N 64), Madden (multi), Hot Shots (PSX), and/or Rally Sport (PSX)multiplayer gatherings. And then there was the game that you took a few weeks off to complete on your own, such as Final Fantasy VII.

We got to see gaming from the beginning to present day, so don't say people in their 30's are coming into the gaming scene late.

I guess my use of general pronouns confused you. When I was talking about "they" entered the gaming industry late, I meant Microsoft and not the 30-something guys I'm describing.

And I don't know about Rave and you, but where I'm from all the people that play Xbox are 13-25ish. If I ask any of my uncles that play games, they feel about Xbox what I described above... see it as some weird system that doesn't have what they want.

UK Legend Killer. I think the generalizations you made have no factual base whatsoever. If you are defining "hardcore" as people who play games for long expanses of time, then the PC would be the hardcore system, with games like WOW, GW and EQ2. That being said, I think the PS2 represents the widest variety of games, ranging from your little-kid-friendly games like R&C to hardcore, mature games like Shin Megami Tensei. And I think PS2, going back to what I said before, attracts the widest range of gaming audience. I know little five year olds that play it, and most older gamers from my area are PS2 or Gamecube guys. Few of them know the facts about Xbox.

I will give you that Xbox Live allows most people to be "hardcore" (play for a long time), since Online play is generally more addicting. But if you look at how many people play SOCOM 2 religiously on PS2, it is quite impressive considering Sony's vastly inferior online gaming initiative. I'm not saying Socom 2 is played by more people online than Halo 2, because that would be stupid, but what I am saying is that PS2 definitely is not lacking in online games that are followed by huge fan bases. I think it is a bad idea to make any kind of generalizations that PS2 gamers are casual. Wtf is that even based on? Just because most casual gamers play PS2 (for the reasons discussed above) does NOT mean that PS2 is ABOUT casual gamers. It is Microsoft and Nintendo's own fault that PS2 attracts casual gamers, because they don't cater to them enough. But, that being said, a LARGE GROUP of PS2 owners are just as hardcore, if not more hardcore than Xbox owners. And I know Nintendo gamers who are even more hardcore than me. The bottom line is that I think it is childish and presumptuous to assume that all PS2 gamers are casual just because most casual gamers play PS2.

That is like saying you are a little kid if you go to Disney World because most people that go to Disney World are little kids. F*** that.

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts

I guess my use of general pronouns confused you. When I was talking about "they" entered the gaming industry late, I meant Microsoft and not the 30-something guys I'm describing.

I think the confusion came from you mentioning "they" in two consecutive sentences, but meaning two different parties. No biggie, just a miscommunication issue.

But I was also referring to this:

"If I ask ]older people (not guys my age, but like those in their 30's and 40's) that are gamers, they are either Sony or Nintendo."

And I don't know about Rave and you, but where I'm from all the people that play Xbox are 13-25ish. If I ask any of my uncles that play games, they feel about Xbox what I described above... see it as some weird system that doesn't have what they want.

Different strokes for different folks. However, it should be no surprise to anyone that most Xbox gamers are "older." MS have been very clear that is who they are targetting. BTW, there was thread at Team Xbox on people discussing their age, and then joining people's Xbox Live friend's lists, and the average age was like 26 with hundreds of responses.

Like I said, I hang out with people from ages 32 - 55, and almost all of them play Xbox, and some of them the Xbox and PS 2.

I think a lot of it has to do with PC gaming as well, and shooters. Lots of good shooters on the Xbox. Also keep in mind that people with Xbox Live have to have credit cards AND the money to pay for the service. Sure some kids' parents will let them use their credit card numbers, but most of these people have their own credit cards. There are some young idiots on Xbox Live (or any online community), but they're outnumbered by the older folks, and later at night you don't have to deal with them as much.

I agree with you about the PS 2 having the widest range of gamers in terms of age.

On your other points. Sony had an advantage on MS from the very beginning. They already had an established buyer. It isn't a bad thing by any means that they cater to casual gamers, and this was actually a goal of MS's from the beginning as well. I think they've done a fair job at it too. Don't factor out the marketing campaign either. Sells do not represent which system has the best games in my opinion, many people didn't even know the Dreamcast had some of the greats it did until they were ported to systems of their choice.

Edited by A Munkeys Uncle, 04 June 2006 - 09:28 PM.

demon0

demon0

Demon Overlord

• Members
  • 570 posts

Don't factor out the marketing campaign either. Sells do not represent which system has the best games in my opinion, many people didn't even know the Dreamcast had some of the greats it did until they were ported to systems of their choice.

See, I respect Xbox. I am just not the kind of person who is into their games. Now, I am saying exactly what you said above. Sells of a system don't relate with the strength of its games at all. I am well aware of that. To me personally I guess it does because I like PS2 games better and PS2 has more sold consoles, but I know that isn't how everyone feels. Anyway, my whole point in this age matter is that Microsoft does not seem to care too much about converting those people who are already Sony customers. I think Microsoft's marketing, and not the quality of their games, leads to their lesser market share. If they spent more time educating the general public (via TV commercials, etc.) about what their system is really about, then maybe they would penetrate into more audiences.

RavEMasteR

RavEMasteR

• Members
  • 4,034 posts

See, I respect Xbox. I am just not the kind of person who is into their games. Now, I am saying exactly what you said above. Sells of a system don't relate with the strength of its games at all. I am well aware of that. To me personally I guess it does because I like PS2 games better and PS2 has more sold consoles, but I know that isn't how everyone feels. Anyway, my whole point in this age matter is that Microsoft does not seem to care too much about converting those people who are already Sony customers. I think Microsoft's marketing, and not the quality of their games, leads to their lesser market share. If they spent more time educating the general public (via TV commercials, etc.) about what their system is really about, then maybe they would penetrate into more audiences.

To clarify:

Ads don't educate. They brainwash.

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts
Yes, and Sony have done a better job of it.

Don't factor out the marketing campaign either. Sells do not represent which system has the best games in my opinion, many people didn't even know the Dreamcast had some of the greats it did until they were ported to systems of their choice.

Keep in mind the Xbox has had more games sold per unit. This has changed a bit since PS 2 games started getting cheaper due to the age of them and sequals being released; however, I think MS is still on top with this statistic. The Xbox had more games sold per unit sold from launch til very late of its release. I think the amount of games was close to 6, but I can't remember exactly. This may also have something to do with peoples' age as well.

And I agree. MS's marketing campaign is pathetic. It has gotten better this generation (hopefully not only because the 360 is the only next gen system released), but last generation you always heard that funny sound at the beginning of a Sony commercial, and you knew exactly what it was. MS just didn't have that type of impact on not only gamers, but casual people either. Sony did. I mean everyone's grandma knows what that sound is, and I give a lot of credit to Sony for doing this. I know MS tried to do something similar, but it was nowhere near as affective.

BTW, I consider you a "hardcore gamer" because of the mere fact you visit a videogame forum.

demon0

demon0

Demon Overlord

• Members
  • 570 posts

BTW, I consider you a "hardcore gamer" because of the mere fact you visit a videogame forum.

:lol: You make a very persuasive point.

Dangeresque

Dangeresque

is singing in the rain.

• Banned Users
  • 3,513 posts
sorry to bump, but i have a question...
i skimmed through this thread trying to find answer, so if i over-looked it...sorry.

i heard from a technogeek that the PS3 burns its serial number onto the blue ray discs (games) when you first use it. and after it's on there, you can only play that copy of whatever game only on that PS3. is this true?

if so, that means you can't take your copy over to a friend's house...no buying used games...if you replace the system you're screwed. if it is true, then sony is shooting themselves in the foot and this system will fail horribly.

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
This is all I know.

http://www.gamesrada...;sectionId=1006

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts
Dead link.

Dangeresque, this is the rumor, but I very seriously doubt it's true. Even Sony could not afford to make such an asinine decision.

Durty D

Durty D

Star Wars nerd

• Members
  • 5,919 posts
Sony debunked this in a recent conference.

Dangeresque

Dangeresque

is singing in the rain.

• Banned Users
  • 3,513 posts

Sony debunked this in a recent conference.

thanks. i still wont buy one. costs way too much. i'll stick with my pc.

RavEMasteR

RavEMasteR

• Members
  • 4,034 posts
That's fine, if you don't want to play Sony exclusive games, such as Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry 4, Killzone 3, Tekken, etc. etc..

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
It's funny, I prefer Playstation, but none of those exclusives appeal to me.

Sephi

Sephi

Curse you Frances, curse you

• 18,789 posts

That's fine, if you don't want to play Sony exclusive games, such as Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry 4, Killzone 3, Tekken, etc. etc..

Say what you will, but the system price tag is WAY too expensive. As much as I'd love to play some of those games, it'll be quite a while before I get a PS3.

JonTucker

JonTucker

Halo -4- Life

• Members
  • 9,216 posts
Add to that the fact that if people won't buy the expensive console, then those games suddenly won't be so 'exclusive.'