Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PLAYSTATION 3 discussion

• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

Otanku

Otanku

Hook 'em!

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
I don't rely on them, what I was pointing out was the comparative of how uninformed customers who don't do research will ask for advice prior to purchase, which is true for any consumer market, not just gaming consoles. This was relevant based on the flawed argument that "Sony didn't advertise specs". They won't because nobody else does. In. any. business. Either you will do your own research to be an informed consumer, or you will get shoddy advice and get what you get. This isn't any different than car buyers who get suckered into an overpriced car deal (because they don't research/compare).

Iridium

Iridium

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • 868 posts
The PS3 is starting to looks very appealing to me...however, I do have to refuse to pay the $600+ Canadian (roughly after tax) for one. However...I'm going to say that once this console dips down below $500 before tax (say $499...preferably closer to $449) I will buy one. Yes, I'll be waiting a while, but I do want one, and hopefully this price drop I'm waiting for will happen after some of the sure-to-be stellar titles are actually out for the PS3 like Uncharted, MGS4, Heavenly Sword, God of War 3 (It's coming, I'm sure) so I don't have to wait around for content.

The PS3 has me feeling the same was as I do with the PSP...I want to like it and buy one, and Sony is just a few steps away from making me make that leap.

Sixstrings

Sixstrings

I'm still here?

• 2,773 posts
Well, it seems a company is suing Sony for patent infringment. Seems the cell processor might infring on a patent going back to 91. What the company is asking for is just plain stupid though "All PS3 with the cell processor to be impounded and destroyed" That won't happen, but Sony might have to pony up some cash if this is true.

A new suit filed against Sony Corp. of America says the PS3’s Cell processor infringes on an existing patent, and demands the “impounding and destruction” of all of Sony’s infringing processors.
On July 26, Newport Beach, Calif.-based Parallel Processing filed a complaint against Sony that alleges the infringement of patent no. 5,056,000, according to a filing obtained by Next-Gen.

The patent, “Synchronized Parallel Processing with Shared Memory” was issued in October 1991. It describes a high-speed computer that breaks down a program “into smaller concurrent processes running in different parallel processors” and resynchronizes the program for faster processing times.

http://www.next-gen....c...16&Itemid=2

Iridium

Iridium

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • 868 posts
So...after much thought, I am seriously considering getting a PS3 for Christmas if the iPhone doesn't hit up in Canada. My question; how likely are we to see another price-drop soon after this holiday? I know that Sony is really banking on sales this holiday season to save them, so we won't be seeing another drop before Christmas, but do you think they could drop the price soon after? If this were the case I wouldn't throw down the money, or ask for a PS3 FOR Christmas, I'd just wait.

$500 is still awfully expensive for a gaming console...especially one with such a limited library. Granted, I know there's games coming down the road, but still.

Otanku

Otanku

Hook 'em!

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
you must not be paying attention to the latest ads. Not sure about canadian dollars, but the 40GB PS3 is 399 and it comes bundled with Spiderman 3 bluray movie + 1 game.

Iridium

Iridium

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • 868 posts
I was thinking the 80GB model, I could get the 40GB though that is an option. I think they also limit some of the other console function you get with the 80GB model, though as well. I DO pay attention to ads, thank you very much. Next time I'll be more specific I guess :shrug:

I'd prefer if they knocked off some $$ and I let them keep Spider-Man and whatever ****ty game they want to package in with the console that they normally can't sell :lol:

Otanku

Otanku

Hook 'em!

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
sorry wasn't trying to suggest anything, just that the 399 w/ bundle is the latest in very aggressive pricing moves by Sony and therefore there's not likely to be any change to the pricing for some time, methinks.

Iridium

Iridium

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • 868 posts
Yea, I figured not seeing as the recent price drop was so recent.

Is it true that the 40GB isn't backwards compatible with PS2/1 games? I heard that...IMO that would be absolutely retarded, but I wouldn't put it past Sony :lol:

Otanku

Otanku

Hook 'em!

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
yes that's true. The 60GB was the last model to offer compatibility via hardware design. The 80GB only has software emulation for compatibility (this is basically same as Europe's version). Now the 40GB offers no compatibility (I'm assuming because SW emulation takes up considerable "space"? and therefore they eliminated that feature).

So, if you just want PS3 titles/bluray capability buy the 40GB. If you still want backward compatibility get the 80GB (or find a 60GB from a Gamestop).

Iridium

Iridium

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • 868 posts
Cool, thanks :thumbsup:

Otanku

Otanku

Hook 'em!

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
So for all you PS3 folks there's a cool Bowling game that you buy in the PS store for 10 bucks. If you guys have played Wii bowling I think it's a better game. It uses the six axis and it has some pretty cool characters and balls that have an influence in speed, delivery and spin.