Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Royal Rumble

266 replies to this topic

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
Ex I gotta dissagre. Maybe Im wrong, but Austin was more a mid level heel before he started his "going against Vince" routine which made him a face and a top level.

Same with HHH. He was way over as a face, probably moreso than as a heel when he finally won the gold.

As for Batista, I don't consider him a top level heel since he was more of a HHH stooge before being teased as a face. That started to get him over as a face before the rumble.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Austin was definitely "the" heel for a bit back in '96/'97 along with Sid somewhat. Challenging Bret to come out of retirement, then cheating at the Royal Rumble like he did in '97. That feud with Bret made Austin a top-level heel. You've got a point with Batista but I disagree with the case of Triple H - he was up against the commissioner of all people, and sticking running head-on with Michaels at Austin en route to WM14.

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
That's a great Avatar Ex.

If you watch the clips of the Rumble highlights that were on WWE.com last week you can see the huge pop Austin got when he cheated to win the Rumble. Also there was a huge pop for HHH when he won the Rumble as a face n 2001 I believe. They're trying hard to make HHH this totally unlikable heel by talking about Eddie(which is one thing they should not be exploiting), but I still think HHH will get more cheers at Wrestlemania and they may have to facilite the must needed double turn.

I may be rooting for HHH at mania just to mess with Crazy Vince's plans.

The Mysterio thing is probably wait and see. Angle is not in good shape right now. His hans went numb from his neck during there trip to Mexico. I would still put off Mysterio winning the title until WM23. Give it time for a really great build. Maybe even have him beat a heel Batista for it. If Mysterio loses his shot he could gain it back if they would have an interpromtional Money in the Bank match.

Stu

Stu

Resident Super Villian

• Members
  • 614 posts
Ok, something that's kinda been bugging me.

Everyone assumes that there will be another money in the bank match at WM. While it's a great concept, and a really great storyline, I fear that it would be a little... over used if the WWE did anything but made it a KotR award.

I just feel that all in all, the Money in the Bank title shot is really a huge deal, and if it's hyped up at every Mania... well, I think that would cheapen it and the Rumble.

But maybe if they made it a month long tourney leading up and into the KotR (bring it back damn it!) it would create more hype, AND make the KotR a bit more presigious as the WWE felt it wasn't.

Ashaman

Ashaman

• Members
  • 3,634 posts
Problem is though, the RR is becoming a joke. Tanaka, Golddust, Coach?

I mean if you can't put legitate peeps in the match, its only a matter of time before "David Arquette" wins the rumble.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,463 posts
Legit guys like Max Moon, Doink, Well Dunn, the Killer Bees, Crash Holly, and Koko B Ware?

The Rumble has always had filler entries. You can't have 30 legit threats in a match like this.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
Hey I always liked KoKo. Even though he never won any match I saw him in.

Anyway I have to agree with Krawlie, it's just not believeable to have every entry having a shot at winning, you have to have filler guys, one it's the spirt of the rumble, two somone needs to be thrown over to put somone over who can take the loss, and three, it adds to the atmosphere, you know they won't win, but it adds to the enviorment, it also gives filler guys more exposure.

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
I just think they're going to need to have the money in the bank match on the show. They have like four set matches right now. Now it would be cheapened if they did it every big PPV. But they're not.

I mean if you could have a money in the bank ladder match with the following people: RVD, Shelton and Carlito from Raw and Rey, Matt Hardy and Chris Benoit from Smackdown, wouldn't you pay to see that?

Stu

Stu

Resident Super Villian

• Members
  • 614 posts
Not, not really, because it's an interpromotional match that really seems thrown together.

There's no way that match would be built up pr hyped, and having a 6 man ladder match just for the hell of it screams "we have no better booking ideas".

The first match was innovative and exciting because of the build and because of what was at stake. If you remember, all of the men (except Kane) were in the ring about 1 month pior and all complained about getting a title shot. Then, WWE worked them all together for a program.

Just saying "Here's your Money in the Bank match this year" and not offering to build it up, it's unneeded and unnesesary.

And having another chance to win a title shot right after RR really takes the emphasis off the Rumble, and really could potentially take the emphasis off the WM main event.

I'm not saying that bringing back the King of the Ring PPV and tourney would not cheapen the title shot or make it seem more forced, but considering how big of a deal the Money in the Bank match is, I really think an etire PPV could be based around it, and at the same time, it could be used to bring back a fan favorite PPV.

Money wise, why would WWE stack ANOTHER gimmick onto Mania when the event is already going to draw huge. Why not wait until June or July and use that month to build up a 16 man tournament (8 Raw 8 SD) where the final 3 or 2 rounds would take place at the KotR where the winner would become the King of the Ring, and as a privledge of winning the event, the winner gets a title match whenever they want in the next year, for either title.

Think about it, the even could be used to hype up newer guys, like say Carlito. He;s good, not in the title picture yet, but have him win the shot, and over the next few months try and get him up to that level, and finally, when he's there, he can use his title shot, OR, if the fans are buying it, he can lose his title match by say, using it in a manner that Edge did after a main event.

Stuckinarut

Stuckinarut

*enter amusing member title*

• Members
  • 3,891 posts
Sorry to disappoint you but there are runours going around the internet of another MitB at WM22.
I saw the Angle/Henry match yesterday and have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Not that it was spectacular.

Takerfan88

Takerfan88

• Members
  • 178 posts
a MitB might not be a bad idea. it all depends on what kind of angle they use. last year's was great because it was the first one ever. and maybe this one won't be for a world title shot. it could be for something smaller like an IC/US title shot. it would be a great chance to develop some mid-card wrestlers.

Gargan

Gargan

These white pills arent kind..

• Members
  • 8,824 posts
But it would cheapen the whole concept of MitB. IC/US title shots arent that hard to get, definetly not difficult enough to have a high-drawing match based around it. I like the idea of having the breifcase as a reward for becoming KotR, but it aint gonna happen.

Stu

Stu

Resident Super Villian

• Members
  • 614 posts
Thankyou Gargan. Although I'm frightened that we agree....

Takerfan88

Takerfan88

• Members
  • 178 posts
well then maybe there would be no title shot at all. it could just become an annual wrestlemania match just like the elimination tag matches at survivor series.

Gargan

Gargan

These white pills arent kind..

• Members
  • 8,824 posts
yeah, but the annual elimiantion tag match has a lot of build on it and is usually the end of a legit fued, not a sloppy afterthought 'oh this would be good' type of thing.

(Edit: Forgive my horrible spelling mistakes.)

Takerfan88

Takerfan88

• Members
  • 178 posts
you're right, and if the WWE was being smart, they would have started a feud around it months ago.

Guest_ogpapasmurf_*

Guest_ogpapasmurf_*
  • Guests
Well if they go through with it, there is still plenty of time to give it a good build up. Will it be a ladder match again? Should it be a ladder match again?

Reply to this topic