Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Royal Rumble

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

Takerfan88

Takerfan88

• Members
  • 178 posts
Now that we're about a month away from the royal rumble, does anyone have any ideas about good matches, or even the rumble winner?

ivan5658

ivan5658

The Puerto Rican

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
For the Rumble winner rumor has it it'll be Orton. As far as good matches, I hope there's a ton because I'm gonna be attending it. The tickets I got arent that great, but not bad at all. It'll be my 1st ppv ever, so I'll enjoy it no matter what.

Clinicly Insane

Clinicly Insane

• Members
  • 492 posts
I'd like to see maybe Big Show and Triple H either in a separate match or in the rumble itself.

I wonder who Cena will face though....

Takerfan88

Takerfan88

• Members
  • 178 posts
I'd like to see taker win the rumble just because he never has, although he came close in 2003 against lesnar.

We all know that he's due to retire soon, so it would be nice to see him go out on top.

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
It's definitely going to be Orton so he can go up against Batista at WM. The problem is, since the Undertaker slapped him around in their HIAC match, he's not a believable candidate anymore.

If the WWE were smart, they would have had him barely beat Taker at Armageddon. That would make him a more believable challenger.

Stu

Stu

Resident Super Villian

• Members
  • 614 posts
A loss to the Undertaker, no matter how one sided, does not reduce Ortons credability in the least for several reasons.

The first is that Orton has beat him twice in this fued, and this being the blow off fued, Taker has to go over. In fact, losing to Orton at all in HiaC would have actually made Taker look weak.

Second is that Taker is being pushed as a unstable vengeful monster. Realistically, a loss by Taker would only further their fued. Anything less would make Taker look human, something they've been trying to avoid.

And on par with that, Taker destroyed the whole Survivor Series team, and while yes, it made them all look a little bad, it was promoted to get Taker over as a beast, not to weaken the team. And ultimately, that's exactly what it did.

As a rule, established top teir guys really don't lose status by losing to each other. Only when it's repeated losses does that really happen.

Guest_ogpapasmurf_*

Guest_ogpapasmurf_*
  • Guests
This isn't going to happen, but I want to see Rey get a shot at Batista...

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts

Stu:
As a rule, established top teir guys really don't lose status by losing to each other.  Only when it's repeated losses does that really happen.

I agree completely, but that is my point. I don't think Orton IS an established top-teir guy yet. They are going to push him into the biggest match of the year against the Animal, but he hasn't established himself as being a threat yet.

At this point in his career, it is impossible for the Undertaker to look weak. I think it would have catapulted Orton's career to have him beat Taker in the most brutal of matches. THAT would have established him as an actual threat to the Championship.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
I think winning the Rumble, and doing so by drawing #1 or #2, would meet the same end as winning HIAC.

ivan5658

ivan5658

The Puerto Rican

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Exodus:
I think winning the Rumble, and doing so by drawing #1 or #2, would meet the same end as winning HIAC.

I think that's way too cliche'. It has been done way too much. 2 or 3 times in 15 years or so is way too much IMO when you consider the odds. It is very unrealistic and predictable. That's the problem with the Royal Rumble, it has become very predictable. I have no problem with Orton winning it, but not if he's the #1 or #2 entrant.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
It's funny you shoudl say that because I had put in my original post that it was a good way to get Orton over despite being cliche. At least then, you'd have the argument of "well it worked for ______, so why not Orton?"

You're right about frequency of such an occurance, but look at other things WWE overdoes that people turn a blind eye to - ref bumps, belt shots, chair shots, high spots, swerves, it's all cliche these days because it's all overdone.

Takerfan88

Takerfan88

• Members
  • 178 posts
Can anyone think of anybody besides taker, or orton who could possibly win the rumble?

Stuckinarut

Stuckinarut

*enter amusing member title*

• Members
  • 3,891 posts
Well, its been put around the internet that Orton is going to win the Rumble and win at WM22 against Batista, so I don't want to suggest anyone. However, if there were no rumours, then I'd guess that maybe someone like Mysterio or HBK to win.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Not really, IMO. Edge has a guaranteed shot. Shelton is probably going to be buried. Benoit will be busy with the US Title. But wait...

...there's the HBK/Vince stuff, and then there's always...(gulp) Hunter. I don't want Hunter to win the Rumble again, but it could happen. I'd prefer an HBK victory over that, although above all I'd liek to see Edge take the title from Cena on the grand stage. What better place for Cena to lose the title, right? Maybe he could turn on the fans and lead into something interesting post-WM to give the edge back to his character. HHH could do it, but shouldn't. HBK could, and might. Edge should be the guy though, win or lose the Rumble, to face Cena at WM22. [/wishful thinking]

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
Well, I would have said Eddie...

Other than that, maybe Rey Mysterio or Kurt Angle. However, none of that matters because it's pretty much a given that Orton will win it.

The WWE will allow him to win it just to show all of us that he has a chance of beating the Animal, Batista. The problem with that is, I don't want someone going in who we think has a chance. I want to see someone go to Wrestlemania who we all WANT to win. Last year, when Batista was going to WM, it was probably the best build the WWE has done in as much as five or six years. EVERYONE wanted to see Batista take that title from the Game and no one doubted he would. That was exciting, and that is what we're lacking with an Orton/Batista match-up.

Stu

Stu

Resident Super Villian

• Members
  • 614 posts
I think you're grossly misrepresenting Orton and his level in the company at the moment. When it comes to top guys, he's one at the moment. He's a legit heel who has proven that he can beat Taker, Batista, HHH, Benoit, Edge, Foley, etc.

Don't forget that Orton WAS the WHC on Raw, and he IS called the Legend Killer. However, even if Orton was not a top guy, I wouldn't worry about him not being one by Wrestlemania.

Why? Because with the exception of HHH, the last 5 or six champions have become champion without being pushed in a main event fued fist.

Orton won the title in his first main event.

Eddie Guererro won the title in his first main event.

JBL was given a new gimmick and pushed into the main event after 5 years of staying in a lower level tag team that had run its course. He won the title in his second Main Event PPV.

Batista won the title at WM in his first PPV main event after winning the Rumble. Prior to the Rumble, about 2 months prior, teamed with Flair, he lost a handicapped match to Orton.

Cena won the title after having only one main event prior.

Brock Lesnar won the title after having just won the KotR.

Now does that mean any of these guys were not over before the victory? Of course not, with the exception of JBL, each one of these guys was perceived almost immediatly as a credible champion. (JBL took a few months)

Now not to say that Orton isn't ready for a main event spot, but the past several champions have been thrust into the spot light without more then two main event fueds. Many of them without even one.

He may not have the credability of Hogan, Austin, the Rock or even HHH, but these days, who does.

This is a time to make new champions, and this is how it's done. Orton, Edge, and Cena are going to be the top tier guys in two- three years. HHH is getting older, Angle probably won't last through next year, and I firmly believe Batista is going to be a one hit wonder with this title reign.

But we'll see. As for Orton, he'll do.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
That future top-tier guy list should include Shelton, but we've been saying that for 2 years now.

I believe that with Rob Van Dams return, he'll have the momentum to ride in and contend on this level. Popularity has never been a problem, as the fans have always been 100% behind RVD no matter what WWE has chosen to do with him - so imagine that plus the momentum and fan support he'll be riding back in when he returns.

Why Benoit was a one-hit wonder in the WWE upper tier with world titles is just beyond me...

Takerfan88

Takerfan88

• Members
  • 178 posts
wasn't RVD supposed to come back a few months ago? WWE better have something planned for him when he gets back or his return will be short lived. RVD is someone who should be getting title shots and oppertunities right when he gets back.

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
Okay, First off Orton was made the WHC Champion on RAW just to slight Lesnar. Brock Lesnar was the youngest Champ in history, but when he walked away the WWE wanted to eliminate that prestige so they made Orton a champ without that much of a push. Most will agree that Orton was made a champion prematurely, and that is why it didn't last that long. His popularity just wasn't where it needed to be to sustain him as a face. I think we all agree he makes a better heel.

Also, Stu, I'm not "misrepresenting" Orton because I don't currently represent him. By your opinion, I am underestimating him. It is fine that you think that. That is your opinion, but I just don't think he has the charisma and ability to hold a title reign right now. Unfortunately, that is exactly what is going to happen. They're not going to have him go all the way to WM just to lose to Batista. That would be lame. So, instead creative has decided to give him another go at the title. Don't get me wrong, I could see Orton being the next HHH (top heel), but right now he just doesn't have the juice.

Oh, Also I LOVE the fact that half of the Arena was chanting for Shelton in his Cena match on RAW. That should show the powers-that-be that they really do have something special in Benjamin, if they can just use him right and not make the same mistake they did with Charlie Haas.

ivan5658

ivan5658

The Puerto Rican

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
An idea came to me last night. It would be great (knee and conditioning permitting) for RVD to be the 1st entrant to the Royal Rumble match and last till the final 4 and then get eliminated. That would propel him to the top tier immediately, and he could move on from there. I would have him win the IC title at WM22 from someone like Benjamin and have it be a big deal.

Clinicly Insane

Clinicly Insane

• Members
  • 492 posts
A person who is over tremendously usually determines who holds the gold. RVD may have been the exception, but he is a sight for the fans.

In remark to Laridian's say on the split reaction in the Cena-Shelton match, that says something: Benjamin, who is acting a heel, got cheers from the elder crowd, while Cena, the face, got cheers from the younger crowd. This is the second time this YEAR that this has occurred, the first time being with Chris Jericho....

Cena needs a credible opponent, or he needs to go heel. He still is popular, but no where near as popular as when he became WWE Champion.

But in regards to the Royal Rumble, the point of this topic, we note that Orton could be a favorite. But what if, say, Big Show won? Edge perhaps won't, due to his guaranteed title shot...

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,739 posts
Actually it's the third time this happened, Angle got a hell of a lot of cheers against Cena during their feud.

Laridian

Laridian

The Super

• Members
  • 4,559 posts
With Jericho and Angle the Boos and Cheers were drown out by eachother, but with the Shelton match they were perfectly timed to counter eachother. It sounded like the TNA Impact Zone, which shows that the Monday Night Wars may yet be right around the corner.

I do think it's time for Cena to lose the strap, and out of all the guys going into the Elimination Chamber I think Kane would make for the best story.

Think about it. He wins the title and starts to get really paranoid about who's after his title. His tag team with Show starts to slowly burn into a raging hot fued between the two of them with Show as the face (he works better as a face IMO), and they have an epic rivalry like Flair/Steamboat or Hogan/Andre (more likely). Not too many big guys can have a believable rivalry with the Big Show.

Takerfan88

Takerfan88

• Members
  • 178 posts
that's a good idea. Kane is one of the few people that Show can have a believable feud with. but, what's next after that?

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
They don't normallu do a whole lot of matches at the Rumble since they need 30 wrestlers for the Rumble. I think last year Edge and HBK wrestled then entered the Rumble as well.

On Raw Cena will probably face Angle in the blow off match of the fued. If not that Edge cashes in his title shot. I really think him using it at Wrestlmania 22 would be better, but I have a feeling that we will see Cena go over HHH. They may do a rematch of Trish-Mickie, which maybe should be left off the card as the slow burn of that fued has been great. I doubt there'll be a IC title match and certainly no tag team championship match.

On the Smackdown side I have a feeling that the worst World Title Match ever will occur between Batista and Mark Henry. Hopefully that last about 5 minutes. Benoit and Booker should end the best of 7 series at Rumble. Love to see that be a steel cage match to prevent Sharmell interference. Perhaps a tag team title match between MNM and the Mexicools. I hope they actually develop Kid Kash into a significant character since TNA build no real characters for the X division. WWE has some really talented cruiserweights, they just need to be promoted right. I doubt they'll do a cruiserweight title match since they need most of them to fill rumble spots.