Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wrestlemania 21 Discussion Thread

327 replies to this topic

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Ability isn't always key. In this business, believe it or not, success is based on about 85-90% buildup & 10-15% delivery. Best case scenario being Hulk Hogan & Andre the Giant - two of the most immobile, far from athletic men the industry has ever seen...and yet w/ the buildup leading up to their match, the delivery did not have to be some stellar athletic outing of chain wrestling & technical wrestling & high-spot like we are spoiled by in todays wrestling atmosphere. They pucnhed each other, they exchanged headlocks, bearhugs, sleeper holds, and keep in mind these are mostly rest spots. But the way it was promoted, hyped, built up, and prepared, there wasn't all that much they could do wrong on their end to botch up what the promotion had done to set the table.

My point is that it would take a stroke of brilliance, something absent these days in WWE creative production, to make this a huge match. It would still be a great match w/ lots of awesome buildup, much like Undertaker vs Flair from WM18 in Toronto, but it wouldn't be highly regarded as a classic if it weren't built up as a classic. They would have to stress that this is the big moment for Orton where he either proves to be all hype or the guy that can lead WWE into the future as a superstar. I think it could be done.

Orton vs Hogan could be a huge draw, one spanning two different generations & all the territory in between. Hogan could very well be the fan favorite in this match, because fans from the 80's & 90's of his WWF face run, fans of his nWo days in WCW in the mid to late 90's, and even bandwagon fans that jumped on during his last WWE run would definitely outnumber Ortons small (but growing) fanbase. If Orton got the win, there's a good chance that he'd make enemies (if you wanna call them that) out of Hogan fans. But seriously, there's something to be said of the impact that it could have on Ortons career if he were to have this match & pick up this win, especially if he's a main eventer. It didn't mean much when Hogan jobbed out to 'Taker & Jericho back in '02, but when he jobbed to Lesnar it was a very big deal because that's how they booked it. I'm sure they'd book it similarly, if not better, for their 3rd-generation young talent who they're trying to make look better than Lesnar at this point.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,792 posts
At this point, though, I, at least, wouldn't buy a victory over Hogan to mean much of anything for Orton that's different than any of his random Raw encounters with various legends even if it was built up tremendously.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
I only would if they started the buildup immediately following Royal Rumble. I thought the Hogan/Rock buildup following No Way Out was rushed & forced, and they definitely didn't give it enough time.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,792 posts
Plus, they used that damn Rock's ambulance getting smashed by a truck thing to keep Rock off tv until pretty close to Mania. That just made it worse.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts

Jacen123:
At this point, though, I, at least, wouldn't buy a victory over Hogan to mean much of anything for Orton that's different than any of his random Raw encounters with various legends even if it was built up tremendously.

Again, as EX said, it depends on how it's booked. Hogan has chrisma, chrisma can draw interest. I doubt the match will happen, but I would find it interesting none the less, then have hogan retire, and pass the tourch.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,792 posts
You mean like he should have at wmx8?

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Like he should have after WCW, he was too old to do the stuff he used to. Which, on reflection, wasn't that good...

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts

Jacen123:
You mean like he should have at wmx8?

Yes, this would be a second chance for him. Considering his job to Rock ment nothing, considering Rock is a part time jobber now.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Stal is right...it means more to job to a regular & main eventer-to-be than it does an icion of ones respective era who is on his way out the door anyway in terms of how often he'll be contributing & appearing. That factor alone would make Orton vs Hogan more of a payoff for future booking of Randy Orotn & the value of his character should he go over.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Reading about this stuff makes me so bummed out that what turned out to be The Rock's depature as a regular competitor was wasted when he passed the torch to Lesnar. If only they knew what they knew now, or if time had worked out so the likes of Randy Orton or Batista or John Cena were on the rise then, Rock could've dropped the title to someone who mattered. But that's neither here nor there. Carry on.

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
I read that there is talk of an interpromotional match at WM21 between Kurt Angle and Shawn Michaels. That could be a great match. I just hope if they would do that match they find a way to build it up properly. Also, that match would leave Edge free for a match with someone else.

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
Also rumors have appeared that The Rock wants to wrestle Sting at WM21. This is dependent on bringing Sting into the company and Rock settling his contract dispute with Vince.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Yeah here's that report from impactwrestling.com:

quote:

The Rock apparently wanted to face Sting at WrestleMania this year since it would be a "special match," but it now looks like he won't work the show at all. Vince McMahon and WWE seem to be sending The Rock a message that they don't need him anymore and are thus not even attempting to negotiate a new contract extention with him. At this point, The Rock isn't expected to work WrestleMania unless the two sides are able to do a 180 and work out new terms.

--

(sighs) At least somebody knows what's good for business...

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
NoDQ.com is reporting a few potential InterBrand Matches for WM21:

- Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle

- Kane & Undertaker vs Gene Snitsky & Heidenreich

If not the above, then as previously rumored:

- Randy Orton vs Undertaker

--

Apparently, these matches have been discussed & talked about by WWE & have a decent shot at happening. It seems WWE is going to test the HBK/Angle waters, so to speak, by having them wrestle in Japan during their Japanese tour.

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
Click Here

Some rumored matches are posted here (sorry about the pop-ups).

If this is the best they can do, WM 21 looks mighty disappointing. I mean I like Batista and he is majorly over, but main event at WM ready? I think not. I mean looking at this card I think it's concievable that both heels will win there matches. Angle v. HBK may be good. I wish we could have seen this a few years ago. I understand the Orton losing to Taker arguement, but it's a match we almost certainly know the outcome of. I'd really love to see Orton win Sunday and have Edge win the Rumble, leading to that as a main event. But I don't write for WWE.

Also, Austin and Foley are pretty much confirmed for WM21. Hogan is very likely to make some appearance. The Rock is expected to settle in time for the event but his match and Sting's appearance likely hinder on that. Bret Hart will definately not appear this year. Maybe next year.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I think Batista is main event ready. His crowd reactions are exceptional, the fans love him, his ring work has always been great from the first time I saw him. They've pushed him right and the fans want to see him take out Triple H, and they want him with the title. The time won't get more ripe. And if this does happen I have very hard time believing he won't walk out of Wrestlemania with the title. And I don't see JBL walking out of 'Mania with the title either to be honest, not if its against John Cena. So I see things completely the opposite, I think both faces will win. The timing and matches are perfect on both ends.

Personally I think these Sting for WM rumors are bogus or completely blown out of proportion by the internet media. I think it's just a way to have his name in an article title to gain hits. Sting has been a tough man to negotiate with in the past since WCW's purchase, so I find it very hard to believe that all of a sudden, a couple months before Wrestlemania, they get him to agree to appear.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
Unfortuantly, even if Batistia gets the title, he like his precessors, will be plauged to a batistia vs hhh feud in one way or another.

Darth Dude

Darth Dude

terminal crazy

• Members
  • 13,972 posts
I could care less about Batista. If this is indeed the main event then IMO it's the most uninteresting main event in Wrestlemania history.

Grand Admiral Exodus:
Vince McMahon and WWE seem to be sending The Rock a message that they don't need him anymore.

With jobbers like Batista and Bradshaw as their main men they need him now more than ever. The WWE upper card has not been so boring since 1995.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
With all due respect, what they need are guys dedicated and with a passion for the business, not someone who wants a contract yet only shows up two or three times a year. I'm a huge Rock fan but until he wants to wrestle full-time, I'm not that terribly interested. I find it a huge discredit to guys like Batista and Bradshaw who, like or dislike aside, clearly work their asses off night in and night out, yet people get all exciting over a one-time appearance by a guy who will then disappear the rest of the year. I'll take the guys who are actually working in the here and now any day of the week.

Personally I think the upper card is just now getting interesting again after two or three years of utter staleness. But to each his own on that aspect.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
I just think it's off balance. Not enough heels on Raw, not enough faces on Smackdown. On Smackdown they can fix it...they've got Big Show in the world title hunt, throw in Undertaker as a main eventer, put Eddie Guerrero back there where he belongs, Booker T even & maybe John Cena. On Raw, you need heels badly. W/ Batista turned face, there's nobody but HHH & Edge. Something has to be done about that. Kane & Snitsky could both be big heels that wrestle the top faces, but they've been fighting each other since what...September/October? Waste.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
Don't forget the Legendary heel jobber Flair!

Or the mighty heel coach! Their both on raw.

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
Heels that have a chance Stallion. How sad is it that Flair is not both a jobber and HHH's *****.

The sad part is that rumors were floating around that JBL may hold the title through Summerslam. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! I'd love to see Eddie get the title again now that more established talent is in the main event picture on Smackdown and the pressure will be off him.

And maybe Batista is ready for WM main event. I'm pretty sure he'll get a shorter title run than Benoit and then he'll probably fade back into the middle card.

I also agree about Rock. I'd love to see him come back full time. I guess we'll just have to hope that he keeps making poorly written and cliche movies no one goes to see.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Lol. Vince must think it's still 1990 if that rumor is true. With PPVs every other month and a weekly tv show, it's ludicrous to have anyone hold a title for a very long time anymore. I don't like one-month reigns, but one year is pushing it. Having JBL hold the title till Summerslam is a terrible idea. Fans get tired of it and want a change. It's time to give someone else a shot at champ, not just keep the belt around a guy because he's your buddy. JBL needs to be dethroned at Wrestlemania just as much as Triple H, in my opinion.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Jonathan Coachman gets a spot in the Royal Rumble. Jonathan f*cking Coachman, a broadcaster & commentator.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
I told you, he's raw's #1 heel!

I will lmao if coach acidently wins.

Reply to this topic