Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wrestlemania 21 Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
327 replies to this topic

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
According to the counter Wrestlemania is less than three months away which means they should be starting to set up angles for show. Rumors have been floating around the Foley, Rock, Austin, and even Hogan may be involved in the event. So what matches will we see. Here's some of my thoughts...

World Heavyweight Championship
HHH v Randy Orton

It's been rumored since last fall that this would be the main event for the show. The only thing that has changed is the rise of Batista, who has become pretty popular and has gotten better at doing promos. My only fear is that they decide to do another Triple Threat Match. It worked well last year so leave it alone.

IC Championship
Shelton Benjamin v Maven

I'm not sure I understand this fued because I would like to see them feed someone more established to Benjamin, and maybe this will end soon but I have a feeling they're going to try and build this, no matter how much it may suck. Benjamin is a future star so I hope his match it somewhat entertaining.

World Tag Titles
Christian and Tomko vs Chris Jerhico and Chris Benoit.
As entertain as Regal and Eugene can be I serious doubt they're going to hold onto the titles very long, maybe not past the weekend. Heck I'm expecting Regal to turn on Eugene at any moment. I'm guessing this because the tag division needs a boost and taking two top faces who unfortunately have no chance of winning this weekend's match or the rumble may just do that.

Hell in a Cell
Gene Snitsky v Kane

You know these two will be fueding in the next couple of months. The only thing I can see being a factor in this is if Matt Hardy is back and ready to job by WM21 (Sorry Ixion)

Mick Foley v Muhammad Hassan

Foley has already said he like this angle and they're going to try and find a way to work him into the show. Note to writers, this year please don't make Mick job to someone.

Ric Flair v The Rock

A lot of people said this was the best part of the tag match at last year's WM. These two guys have so much charisma that it would be great to see this match.

Hogan v ???
They left the man who helped make WM out of WMXX, but are seriously considering bring him back for this one (Way to go Vince). It's been rumored he may be put in the Hall of Fame and he may work a match. Hogan tried to pitch an idea which would have made his match essentially one giant promo for his daughter's career, which was pretty much shot down. I could see him doing a couple of different angles. Maybe he could wrestle Flair, maybe Hassan (I grew up watching the American Hero Hogan with his Hulkimanics), maybe he fights Vince.

I have no idea how to work Austin into all of this since he can't wrestle although we all know he's not done with WWE.

I really don't watch Smackdown much but I imagine their title match main event will be Bradshaw v John Cena. I don't know why Bradshaw is still champ and I'm concerned about rumor that he may hold the title through Wrestlemania and to Summerslam. Cena still needs to work on his wrestling but he is majorly over and it might be a good move for a show that seems to keep going around in the same circle.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,825 posts
Okay, these may not necessarily be likely, but here are basically the matches I want to seebased upon the way things are going now:

Main Event
WWE Title Match
JBL© vs. Cena

World Heavyweight Title Match
Edge vs. HBK©

Triple Threat
HHH vs. Orton. vs. Batista

Ric Flair vs. Rock

Hassan vs. Foley

World Tag Title Match
Christian/Tomko© vs. Jericho/Benoit
(Good idea there, MP)

WWE Tag Title Match
Luther/Jindrak (or is it Cade he's with?) vs. Bashams

Cage or Hell in a Cell
Kane vs. Snitsky

U.S. Title Match
Orlando Jordan© vs. Rob Van Dam

Kurt Angle vs. Booker T

Undertaker vs Heidenreich

Cruiserweight Title Match
someehint truly showcasing the likes of Kidamn, London, Rey, Chavo, Moore, and the like, instead of what we've gotten recently

Women's Title
Meh. shrug

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• 14,874 posts
Do you think Benjamin's going to make it to WM wiht the IC belt?

I like your thought Jacen, they could be some tremendous matches.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
To eloborate a tiny bit on Jacens card...

- Eugene vs William Regal

- Cruiserweight Title, Billy Kidman © vs Paul London

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
You left out Big Show and Eddie Guererro from Smackdown. I could see those two facing Angle and Booker T in a tag match.

Also another Smackdown match that might be fun to see but would take some creativity to get there is Rey v RVD.

I just think Jerhico and Benoit would make a great tag team, Jerhico has history with Christian and they need to use their top guys somehow since the championship picture is quite crowded right now.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,825 posts
Damn, I completely forgot about Eddie. I had thought about Big Show, but couldn't think of a place for him, then forgot about him at the end.

The only thing I could think of, otherwise, would be to have a fatal fourway between Eddie, Angle, Show, and Booker for Number One Contendership for the WWE Title.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Here's some news regarding WM21, returning superstars, and their current status w/ WWE (from impactwrestling.com):

--

quote:

- On a recent radio interview, Triple H confirmed that the Rock will be returning at Wrestlemania and that Brock Lesnar has shown an interest in returning. When asked why the wrestling business is currently not doing as well as expectations, Triple H said it was a combination of Mick Foley and Steve Austin getting hurt and Rock leaving for Hollywood.

- Steve Austin is expected to be involved in Wrestlemania in some capacity, but nothing definite has yet been decided. There is an outside chance that he may actually wrestle on the PPV, but most consider it to be less than 50-50.

- The Rock is expected to meet with WWE officials in the next week or two to find out what plans they have in store for him and what his role at Wrestlemania will be. Rock will probably pitch his own ideas and considering the amount of power he has, he can basically do whatever he wants. It is expected that officials will probably push a Rock vs. JBL idea to him, probably with the intention that Layfield be put over since Rock won’t be staying. If they follow that course, the John Cena title win would be pushed back until after Wrestlemania since long-term plans are still to have a re-draft.

--

Interesting stuff...could this mean Cena won't face JBL or whomever the champion may be? If Austin does return, what would his role be? And who would make for an interesting opponent for The Rock? Although Eddie Guerrero is a face, I'd love to see them go at it @ WM21. It would really put Guerrero in a very important light to be in such a match IMO.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Don't bring back Austin just for WM21 and the next few months, I can't stand him! EG vs Rock would be quite a crowdpuller but not at the same caliber as Edge vs HBK/Orton. Either of those matches would be a certain main event. Unless the WWE feck it up again

Excellence Of Execution

Excellence Of Execution

• Members
  • 107 posts
Here's what i'd like to see.....

Bret Hart vs Hogan or Flair or HBK
Beniot vs Macho Man
Nash Jarret Hall vs HHH Batista Edge
Amazing Red vs Mysterio
Big Show vs HBK
Undertaker vs Goldberg

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,702 posts
This isn't 1996.

Reality

Reality

A Hero Loses Every Day

• Members
  • 9,273 posts
hmmm

Mr.Spear

Mr.Spear

• Members
  • 477 posts
Ric Flair is to damn old he should be a manager for Evolution or a once in a while Wrestler he is just not belivable I dont wanna see him against The Rock.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
I never want to see him again! END OF!

Super Dragon

Super Dragon

• 4,154 posts
HELLO!!!What happend to Rock Vs. Orton?..these two would be great.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Nah, too different I think, Orton isn't at that class. Being WH champ doesn't mean as mch anymore....its so sad....

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
If they were going to do Rock v. Orton he would have to stay around for a while.

I'd hate to see Rock job to a medium-talent hack like JBL. Hopefully he won't go for that because it's stupid.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
IMO, they'll only induct Hogan if they think he's done wrestling for the most part. Most guys in the Hall of Fame, aside from Jimmy Snuka & Sgt. Slaughter, never wrestle anymore. Greg Valentine occassionally does indy shows, but nothing huge. So Hogan could be a Hall of Fame inductee this year.

Regarding Austins possible return, I can't think of anything that would stand out in regards to a potential role.

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
They may use him to squash Hassan.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
MP, I have the same fear you do, that they're going to pull out their bloody safety card and do another Triple Threat match for the Raw main event. Personally I'm a big Batista fan and right now think he's more deserving of the title and top spot than anyone on the show right now, but I'd rather see him in a singles match. I must sound like a broken record saying Triple Threat matches are overdone, but they really have been lately, and I think a Triple Threat main event will weaken their main event (the main event of the whole show, more than likely). If I had my way, it'd be Batista vs. Triple H, and I'd put Orton in non-title top-tier program with someone else, put the title on Batista and just give the title to Orton later on. They succeeded in getting Orton over, only problem is they succeeded in getting Batista over more. And if they can't change a few plans just because they've been in development a while, despite the change being that it would give the fans what they apparently want, we'll then WWE still haven't learned.

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
I hope WWE realizes that no one really wanted to see that Triple Threat match at least year's WM but it turned out ok not because of the type of match, but because of the people who were in it.

As of right now from what I've read WWE at least realizes that a HHH-Batista main event may be better than HHH-Orton so maybe they're not looking at a triple threat match. The HHH-Batista promos have been really great and they've made Batista a huge fan favorite and a dominating wrestler. My only concern with that is can Batista go 30-35 minutes in a major main event, which he would have to at WM. Orton is better suited for that after the programs they've put him through. I'd love to see them put Orton in a big time program for a while then bring back the fued between he and HHH around Summerslam. Only question is who does he face. Edge? Kane? (although it looks like they're going to make him a face again) Snitsky? Do they turn someone heel? The only person who kinda makes sense other than Edge is Maven since he seemed to have a problem with Orton but he looks to be in a long term program with Benjamin.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts

Grand Admiral Exodus:
IMO, they'll only induct Hogan if they think he's done wrestling for the most part. Most guys in the Hall of Fame, aside from Jimmy Snuka & Sgt. Slaughter, never wrestle anymore. Greg Valentine occassionally does indy shows, but nothing huge. So Hogan could be a Hall of Fame inductee this year.

Regarding Austins possible return, I can't think of anything that would stand out in regards to a potential role.

Austin could face Lesnar or Goldberg. A one night thing or something.

Darth Dude

Darth Dude

terminal crazy

• Members
  • 13,972 posts
Austin should wrestle McMahon. Picture McMahon mid-show doing his usual "WWE thanks you, the fans!" speech when the glass breaks and Austin run out of nowhere and whoops his ass for 10 minutes. People will be poppin all over the place.

But I disagree with many peoples HHH vs Batista wishes. I just don't think it's a Mania main event quality match. We've seem relatively new stars in recent main events, Benoit, Jericho, Lesnar.. but Batista and Orton for that matter don't strike me as being up to that "superbowl" level yet. I'd rather see Edge then either of em.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,825 posts
Dude, that idea you just has for Austin is just about the only way I'd care to see Austin on the show. Assuming, of course, that they aren't idiots and advertise that he'll be on the show, which is probably asking too much.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Can't see Edge, Dude. Being a heel automatically disqualifies you from any Raw main event, unfortunately. At least until the day Triple H turns face in which the opposite will be true.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
Or he so gratiously retires.