Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

WWE Releases: WWE and Muhammad Hassan Part Ways

• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts

quote:

If they made their product better, they would be making more funds then they are now. Cutting costs is nice and works, but making a better product which causes raises in merchandise does even better.

I doubt it. The product is good now but still is hard pressed to grasp a 4 in the ratings, for example. And that's not because the product is bad. It's because wrestling has a history of having upswings and downswings in mainstream popularity, and its only recently coming out of a big downswing. It's that extra mainstream popularity that brings in lots more $$$. More than likely the industry will have an upswing again sometime in the future out of the blue just like last time, but it's not necessarily a reflection of the quality of the product. In the meantime you do what you gotta do.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts

Jason Solo:

quote:

If they made their product better, they would be making more funds then they are now. Cutting costs is nice and works, but making a better product which causes raises in merchandise does even better.

I doubt it. The product is good now but still is hard pressed to grasp a 4 in the ratings, for example. And that's not because the product is bad. It's because wrestling has a history of having upswings and downswings in mainstream popularity, and its only recently coming out of a big downswing. It's that extra mainstream popularity that brings in lots more $$$. More than likely the industry will have an upswing again sometime in the future out of the blue just like last time, but it's not necessarily a reflection of the quality of the product. In the meantime you do what you gotta do.

Here's where we will disagree. While only recently, the past month or so, has the product been constantly good, overall it hasn't been that that great. You aren't going to get a boom out of the blue, when the past few years you havn't been doing a good job at all.

If they were to keep up what they are doing now, which I highly doubt they will, then you'd see an increase, but considering they used to get a 6 rating, and considering those shows were alot better, and spend most of their needed air time on stupid stuff like the diva search to get short term ratings, it's really no wonder, you can't have a boom, unless you constantly raise quality and draw in viewers of all ages, causual and hardcore like us alike.

Currently they put out a bunch of good shows, then go back to crap, pull out good ones, then release people because they don't have the funds. Well naturally you won't have the funds when you are inconsistant and not always one to deliver your product. Constantly good shows will cause viewers to ge ttheir friends and associates into it, which would bring up ratings, which would bring up sales of merchandise. But it's kinda hard to recomend the wwe to somone when one week they are awsome, the next week it's flat out crap, and a year later they play the same match over again, cept changing one guy and making a big deal out of it.

It's not that wrestling is at a low, it's that the wwe hasn't been delivering like they should have these past few years and thus put it at a low. Once the wwe gets competition, everythign should go high again, since I doubt the wwe would let anyone trample them.

But now who can stand to the wwe? Tna? Highly unlikly, and I don't know to many people with acess to the japenese organizations.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Actually, I think booms do come out of the blue. Usually because of one event to steamroll things. Hogan beating Andre in WMIII caused a boom, Hogan turning heel and forming the NWO caused the latest boom. Both instances it kinda happened overnight. I don't think there's much to support the idea that we'd see a huge boom if WWE continued with (as far as majority goes) high quality shows week in and week out with out having any lapses that will gradually cause ratings to rise and cause another boom. It sure as hell would be nice, but again history doesn't really support that idea. It more likely supports the idea that one big thing will happen, and people will start watching like hotcakes again.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
I remember wrestling being at a huge pouplarity even before the nwo.

I can't speak for wmIII since I was only a year old then.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
The nWo is what put wrestling back on the map as a huge mainstream attraction again. Attitude (Austin, Rock) soon followed. Then things went back to normal.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
SO you mean back in 92 when I started watching it wasn't big? I remember it being big at the time, or at least, alot bigger then it was now. Plus, even if they do happen overnight, if no one is watching when the event happens, nothing is going to grow, and when your not having consistant shows, it's not going to get that many viewers.

ivan5658

ivan5658

The Puerto Rican

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
So many people are complaining about these releases, and I think its dumb. Who gave 3 sh*ts about Ivory? She was the host of a crappy show and she did an even crappier job at it. So what if she can wrestle? The women's division hasnt been consistently strong and legit in ages. There have always been 2 or 3 good women wrestlers at one time and thats it. I couldnt care less that Ivory was let go. While the Diva search may be crappy to watch, it has turned great profit for the WWE. Why the hell would they not want someone else like Christy? She's hot, charismatic, and isnt that bad of a wrestler(considering it isnt her main job). Hemme also gave WWE alot of publicity through her Playboy shoot. Saying that they should get rid of her and keep Ivory makes no sense.
The rest of the releases were a bunch of ppl that werent being used, so why keep them? It makes no sense. Wrestling has been good for well over a year now. Going back to about Royal Rumble of last year, WWE has been in an upswing when it comes to quality. Of course there will be crappy shows, there always have been. You say that back in the day there werent crappy shows, thats not true at all. We just dont remember them. Alot of ppl tend to think of the "attitude era" as this Eden of pro-wrestling where everything was perfect, everyone was used to their full potential, and every single week was an A+ show. That's just not true. We were all alot younger back then, and for alot of people it was their first taste of pro-wrestling. For those reasons that era seems like it was flawless. I am the first to point out that wrestling isnt what it used to be. It just isnt; but its by no means bad. Stars make wrestling, not the other way around. Wrestling gives stars an oportunity to shine, and in return those stars give wrestling ratings and popularity. Every boom in ratings happens because of a star being born, or something groundbreaking happening(like the nWo). Wrestling is in a funk and it probably will be for a couple more years, but the WWE isnt to blame for it. Someday it'll go back to being what it was.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts

Stallion:
SO you mean back in 92 when I started watching it wasn't big? I remember it being big at the time, or at least, alot bigger then it was now. Plus, even if they do happen overnight, if no one is watching when the event happens, nothing is going to grow, and when your not having consistant shows, it's not going to get that many viewers.

'92? Yeah it was still pretty big then. Went into its lull shortly after, though.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
I started watching when I was like 7.

Which is why I'm very vocal about quality.

Maby I was spoiled?

Ivan, I have to respectfully disagree, it's in a funk due to bad quality and no competition (though recently that first part is changing), if you have many bad shows, you aren't going to draw viewers, which will decline sales, and everything goes downhill from that.

quote:

While the Diva search may be crappy to watch, it has turned great profit for the WWE. Why the hell would they not want someone else like Christy? She's hot, charismatic, and isnt that bad of a wrestler(considering it isnt her main job).

She's a terrible wrestler and a waste of tv time, at least Ivory and several of the other released divas who could wrestle were actually able to wrestle. And yes, so playboy issues sold, but I don't see dvd's going heavily off the shelves, I see action figures collecting dust, I don't see it even talked about as much, apparently having playboys take up air time isn't bringing in the profits.

Delorean

Delorean

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

quote:

According to John Laurinaitis, Mark Copani, a.k.a. Muhammad Hassan, and WWE have decided to go their separate ways. Here is the statement on WWE.com...

Copani moves on
Sept. 21, 2005

According to John Laurinaitis, Vice President of Talent Relations for World Wrestling Entertainment, Mark Copani, a.k.a. Muhammad Hassan, and WWE have decided to go their separate ways.

Copani, who was last seen at The Great American Bash in late-July, had nothing but positive remarks about his WWE experience in recent phone interview.

“I have a great appreciation for WWE and the way they treated me,” said Copani. “Everybody took care of me even more than they ever had to. I have a great deal of gratitude for the McMahons, the people in the office and the boys in the locker room. I have absolutely no grievances in the way that everything played out. In fact, the split was very amicable. I just thought that it was in my best interest, as well as WWE’s best interest, for us to go our separate ways.”

With WWE now in his past, Copani is heading to Hollywood to pursue a career in acting. But does that mean WWE fans will never see the former Muhammad Hassan in a wrestling ring again?

“Wrestling is in my back pocket for now,” admitted Copani. “Luckily, the door was left open for a return if that is what I wish to do in the future. And if that’s something I wish to do, I know who to call.”

This is a real shame for Hassan. His character was great and he wrestled real well. If only they wouldn't have aired that segment on SmackDown a few months ago.

ivan5658

ivan5658

The Puerto Rican

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
Wow. This really sucks. I had hopes of seeing Hassan again on WWE tv, but I that's not happening. I hope he isnt succesful in Hollywood so we get to see him again in a WWE ring.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,520 posts
if only they had kept him on RAW

Gargan

Gargan

These white pills arent kind..

• Members
  • 8,824 posts
oh no. i read the editted title of this and thought great things to come for the wrestling world, hassan was going to TNA. But acting?

I hope he sucks so he can wrestle more

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
Ha, ha!

I told them so. I sent several emails to WWE.com telling them not to do the stupid gimmick. I warned them. But no... they didn't want to listen to me.

Good.

Burt

Burt

stomp stomp clap

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
Damn, that sucks. Hassan was a great character.

Stu

Stu

Resident Super Villian

• Members
  • 614 posts
Bull****! Hassan, like him, or hate him, was a good heel, with a good style, and plenty of potential. I honestly thought he'd be a star heel in the future.

But releasing the guy? C'mon WWE, you idiots should have repackaged him ASAP and put him back on TV.

Remember WWE, its who you make "stars", not what "stars" you own. WCW forgot that fact, and I hate to say WWE is following.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
This is less WWE's fault than it is Hassan not really having much of a passion for the business. The guy's goal is to become an actor and its in fact quite possible that it was he who initiated a request for a release. No confirmation of that as a fact but its heavily rumored that he requested it and the two sides came to a mutual agreement. Its too easy to jump on WWE's case right away as being the idiots and the bad guys when the whole story isn't evern known yet.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
Well alot of the time they are idiots, I don't know about the bad guys, but idiots defantly.

Richard Powers

Richard Powers

nAw CEO

• Members
  • 336 posts
Characters like Hassan belong on cable TV, bottom line. This wouldn't have happened on Spike or USA.

Stu

Stu

Resident Super Villian

• Members
  • 614 posts
Solo, I call WWE idiots because they didn't do anything with him after the fact. The guy is young, and I bet he did ask for the release. WWE needs to keep his confidence high, show him that they have a plan, or are working on one.

I'm willing to bet he wanted to leave because he knows WWE doesn't have the desire or maybe even the ability to repackage him and get him over again.

As for "acting", I'm sure he'll give it a shot, but I have no doubt he'll be in TNA with in a year, if not back with WWE.

P.P. Singh

P.P. Singh

• Members
  • 6 posts
Muhammad Hassan wasn't (and isn't) even among the most controversial material shown on UPN. Many shows on UPN tend to show lots of graphic violence or simulated graphic violence. The incident that set this all off for UPN was just a simulated scenario, no different than any other TV show with fictional material.

The answer to what UPN did would have been for Mark Copani to break kayfabe in a worked shoot at Great American Bash or later, on either show, and drop his gimmick altogether. How could UPN ban Mark Copani if the character he portrayed ceased to exist? It would be like banning a Jewish priest played by Richard Lewis on a show on UPN, for example, and then getting upset about Richard Lewis portraying another character on the same show or another on their network. I think this would have worked and would not have crossed any legal barriers in light of UPNs' banning of Muhammad Hassan.

I hope to see Caponi in TNA, though it saddens me that we won't get to see him work with other young talents like Rey Mysterio and Bobby Lashley in the future.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts

quote:

Solo, I call WWE idiots because they didn't do anything with him after the fact. The guy is young, and I bet he did ask for the release. WWE needs to keep his confidence high, show him that they have a plan, or are working on one.

Part of the plan, something they wanted even before the Hassan character had to be scrapped, was for him to go back to OVW to brush up on his skills. He however refused to do this. He himself decided to move to LA after the character had to be dropped.

quote:

I'm willing to bet he wanted to leave because he knows WWE doesn't have the desire or maybe even the ability to repackage him and get him over again.

From everything I read its Copani who had little desire to return.

From his own mouth:

quote:

I have a great appreciation for WWE and the way they treated me," said Copani. "Everybody took care of me even more than they ever had to. I have a great deal of gratitude for the McMahons, the people in the office and the boys in the locker room. I have absolutely no grievances in the way that everything played out. In fact, the split was very amicable. I just thought that it was in my best interest, as well as WWE's best interest, for us to go our separate ways."

"Wrestling is in my back pocket for now," admitted Copani. "Luckily, the door was left open for a return if that is what I wish to do in the future. And if that's something I wish to do, I know who to call."

Doesn't exactly sound like a man disenchanted with the WWE and leaving with any sort of chip on his shoulder. I honestly believe this to just be a case of people wanting to blame WWE right away because its the easiest way to vent about frustration over the guy leaving.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,520 posts
IT'S ALWAYS THE WWE'S FAULT

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts
Well they are always idiots.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
It's UPNs' fault from the forefront for overreacting. It's WWEs' fault in the latter portion of the incident for not finding another way to use Copani.