Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

WWE Releases: WWE and Muhammad Hassan Part Ways

• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I didn't say cruiserweights can't raise ratings, I said I doubt Billy Kidman and Spike Dudley did.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,934 posts
When they were along with London the main focuses of the show at the time? Along with London they were involved in that spike of ratings, then all of a sudden they all end up on velocity, and smackdown has never gone back to that high. I've used those two, because they were part of the main storylines, and thus, it was because of them, since the crusiers, which they were major contributers to, were the reason.

And someone is really going to get over on velocity, hell if batistia when he moved to raw was put on heat, I doubt he'd be world champion now.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Okay, so the cruiserweights as a whole spiked up the ratings, and Spike and Kidman were a part of that, I can accept that. Did that mean they in particular were over, though? Not necessarily. I never remember these guys getting pops or lots of heel heat. It was guys like Rey Mysterio which really gave the division notice, imo. Again, no one's said a word about Kidman or Spike for ages now. Then they're released and suddenly its a crime against nature that they were gotten rid of. It's just silly to me.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,934 posts
I've personally been arguing (untill I just stopped watching smackdown) that the cruiserweights were misused.

And I believe Kidman was over, since I remember his feud with London getting a pop.

Mysero is over yes, but he was also used constantly right away since the begining.

I also remember spike being over to a degree, when he wasn't a jobber for big guys that is.

I'll job and say Maven was a big failure, I think the only time he was remotely over was that match he had with hhh.

So this whole argument isn't new comming from me, since I've been arguing about the cruiserweights till I just got fed up from their treatment and only watched raw.

their release only caused me to be vocal about it again.

Master Pimp

Master Pimp

King of Pimps

• Members
  • 9,411 posts
You forgot Joy had big boobs too. As far as I've heard most of these new divas work by appearance. Some of the bigger name ones don't

I don't see much surprise in any of these cuts, other than a lot of the people from the "huge trade" being cut. Why even make that trade? I was listening to some of the audio from the torch website and a these cuts kinda fall into one or more of three categories...

1) They cared more about partying than wrestling
2) They had no on air charisma
3) They were a pain in management's ass.

I guess Randy Orton's punishment was having all his road buddies be fired. I'm also interested to see if Torrie quits now that Kidman is gone. Stacy stayed around when Test was cut and they're no longer together.

I'd say these cuts are big for TNA, but TNA's promotion right now consists of Friday webcasts and PPVs filled with gimmicks. If they get to Spike TV and they could get a Matt Hardy and perhaps the Dudleys they could start to build some sort of momentum. I think Kidman and Moore will likely end up there as well as possibly Haas and Maven.

Chatham

Chatham

like old job

• Members
  • 8,728 posts
Joy was so hot... damn

Delorean

Delorean

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

Chatham:
Joy was so hot... damn :(

Better HER than Trish Stratus!

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,934 posts
I would serious flip if Trish was Realised and Christy was still employed.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts

Delorean:

Delorean:

For sure. If she goes, I go.

lightsabre

lightsabre

no self-respecting man

• Members
  • 8,522 posts
Dudleys to TNA, Matt to TNA, get some TLC matches going on in there.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts

Stallion:
I would serious flip if Trish was Realised and Christy was still employed.

We agree! :crowd goes wild:

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,129 posts

Exodus:

Exodus:

Exodus:

Where?

Clinicly Insane

Clinicly Insane

• Members
  • 492 posts
My assumption is that Haas is equal to Benjamin in a nutshell. Both of them are pure wrestlers, both of them put on great matches, but both of them lack verbal charisma, the such that Angle, Rock, Jericho, and Cena had. Haas was removed because he had not the success Benjamin had on RAW.

Think about it: Since going to RAW, Benjamin has had feuds with all members of Evolution, beat Triple H three times, held the Intercontinental Title for 8-9 months, and put on some exciting matches. Haas, sad to say, was never given that chance.

Oh, I think Maven was more over when he was feuding with Heel-Undertaker, around early 2002. His greatest moment will be when he eliminated the Undertaker from Royal Rumble 2002.

DESTINY

DESTINY

It is your...

• Members
  • 10,391 posts
Spike Dudley first to make a comment...

quote:

I'M BACK!!!!!!!!

And in more ways than one. First, yes I'm gone from the WWE. Does it sting? Hell, yeah. Especially since I've always been one of their "model" employees. It makes sense that I was released, I don't *****, moan, groan or suck. I just didn't fit in with what the WWE puts on tv. No, I'm only kidding (but not really). It was my turn and that's the nature of the beast. The WWE is a sinking ship. Cursed by owning 100% of the industry, I can see how they couldn't afford my outrageous salary in these times of number crunching. Hey, they gave me a great oppurtunity and maybe I didn't make the most of it. That's life. At first I was pissed, but I woke up this morning feeling, I don't know, alive. Check this out, this morning I woke up and visioned having a wrestling match without a script. I visioned going to an arena and actually having fun again. I visioned not having to go to the hospital after being hurt by a "future" WWE superstar who may look good but have the wrestling ability of a dead walrus. I visioned pitching an angle without having to get approval from writers who 6 years ago were buying ECW tickets and making signs (it's true). Hell, I visioned blading!!! I really don't want to burn bridges (if I haven't already) and all that, but that company sucks the life out of you and then spits you out. Enough on them.

I want to love wreslting again. I want to be passionate about the business. It's been so good to me, I want to give back. I don't know how yet, but it will happen.

Right now, I'm going to chill. I've got some time to sit back and re-evaluate life, smell some roses and get my head straight. I doubt you've seen the last of me. And if anything it's a blessing. Nothing sucks worse than working for a company that doesn't respect you. Paul E. (God bless him) proved that to me. Now I don't have to worry about it.

Majik, you f'n rock. Big boost this morning, thank you. I"ll be in touch.

Everyone in Dudlyeville, you all are the best. My many thanks to everyone for the support and love you've shown. Now that I'm on my own I will be back more often, so it's fun time. I can't name everyone but you know who you are. Keep the faith, and if anyone is hiring get in touch.

Thanks guys,
Spike "no more tears" Dudley

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts

Darth Spoon:

Darth Spoon:

Darth Spoon:

Darth Spoon:

Where?

I quit watching. Maybe not from now on totally, but for a bit. I'll have to vent somehow.

Super Dragon

Super Dragon

• 4,154 posts
I gotta question...will Smackdown still be with UPN??? Oh and WWE has already said that a late night saturday night show will most likely air right after SNL when it goes to USA. So why couldnt they just move Velocity to then!?

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Because SuperDragon...before you started watching wrestling, WWF had one of the coolest shows ever on NBC every so often - Saturday Nights Main Event!

It was an awesome show where you'd see unprecedented matches like The Honkey Tonk Man vs Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage vs Bret Hart pre-singles push, and yeah I mean they would have some of the coolest matches on there. Guys who had never been in singles action before would have break-out singles performances (Bret Hart) & huge storylines would take place there (the infamous Andre choking out Hulk Hogan scenario & Hogan rescuing Randy Savage from the Jimmy Hart stable).

If SNME is that strong again, and is a ground-breaking show that does things you don't typically see on Raw or Smackdown, it could be a huge success. I'd say feature interpromotional matches on the show, have huge PPV'esque storylines & title changes on the show.

--

Meanwhile, on the releasing front, impactwrestling.com reports that we can expect more releases today. Seeing as how they've released 17 people yesturday, I don't see how they have anymore people left to get rid of.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,942 posts
Well, they've still got 60+ people on the roster, including some that never see any time, like Scotty 2 Hotty.

DESTINY

DESTINY

It is your...

• Members
  • 10,391 posts

Exodus:
Because SuperDragon...before you started watching wrestling, WWF had one of the coolest shows ever on NBC every so often - Saturday Nights Main Event!

It was an awesome show where you'd see unprecedented matches like The Honkey Tonk Man vs Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage vs Bret Hart pre-singles push, and yeah I mean they would have some of the coolest matches on there. Guys who had never been in singles action before would have break-out singles performances (Bret Hart) & huge storylines would take place there (the infamous Andre choking out Hulk Hogan scenario & Hogan rescuing Randy Savage from the Jimmy Hart stable).

If SNME is that strong again, and is a ground-breaking show that does things you don't typically see on Raw or Smackdown, it could be a huge success. I'd say feature interpromotional matches on the show, have huge PPV'esque storylines & title changes on the show.

--

Meanwhile, on the releasing front, impactwrestling.com reports that we can expect more releases today. Seeing as how they've released 17 people yesturday, I don't see how they have anymore people left to get rid of.

There is a huge difference between wrestling then and now. Back in the day a weekly match would be a popular wrestler or Superstar (i.e. Hulk Hogan) vs. a jobber. If we were lucky for a main event they would then have 2 superstars face off. Saturday Main Event would consist of mostly 2 superstars facing off and concentrate less on the jobbers and more on storylines.

Wrestling today is more in the line of Superstar vs. Superstar almost of PPV quality of the 80's, IMO. I think never the less more wrestling is enjoyable and I would love to see the great late night of wrestling. It would be cool if they did release Saturday Night main Event...

Man, those were the days.

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,934 posts
Apparently Torrie hasn't quit yet.

Clinicly Insane

Clinicly Insane

• Members
  • 492 posts
Here's what Matt Morgan had to say on his firing (From WWE.com):

quote:

It was less than two months ago that Matt Morgan was at Judgment Day, helping Carlito defeat Big Show. Morgan was one of the more athletic and imposing Superstars on the SmackDown! roster. And at 6-foot-10 and just 28-years-old, Morgan figured to have a bright future with WWE.

And while he hopes he still might, that future became slightly more clouded when Morgan was one of many Superstars let go by the company earlier this week.

In fact, after Morgan saw the first list of cuts on Tuesday, he took a deep breath, only to get the bad news one day later.

I saw the first list of guys let go and my heart just went out to them, Morgan said in an exclusive WWE.com interview. Still, youre happy its not you. Then the second day you get the call.

Morgan had become a regular on SmackDown!, even appearing on the July 7 show. Considering how much he was on TV of late, Morgan was stunned by his release.

I was kind of shocked, Morgan said. I thought I was doing everything they asked of me. Im still so new to the sport and I have such an upside. Im still going to get to where I have to go, Im just going to have to take a different avenue.

Currently, Morgan, who was part of Tough Enough 2, said hes looking over a pair of offers hes received for small movie roles. But, above everything else, hes committed to returning to wrestling.

Wrestling is still my top priority, Morgan said. I will look at my options, whether that means wrestling in Japan, Germany, anywhere overseas. Sometimes you have to take a step back to go forward. I want to get the opportunity to come back and show everyone the real Matt Morgan. The guy whos the most athletic and promising big man in the sport.

Still, Morgan had a blast over the last couple months, and hes still confident a return will be in the works one day.

It was awesome, I had the time of my life, Morgan said. I want to thank all of the McMahons, Jim Ross, John Laurinaitis and Fit Finlay for giving me the opportunity. I will see them again. I learned about having fun and not being wound so tight. It didnt work out this time, but Im willing to accept it and grow from it. Im just 28, Im only going to get better.

At least he took it well.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts

quote:

Morgan had become a regular on SmackDown!, even appearing on the July 7 show. Considering how much he was on TV of late, Morgan was stunned by his release.

Yeah, that just seems odd IMO. It's like yb releasing a guy that they were using up until his release, they're were putting out the message that they were using a guy on TV every week that wasn't so good as to be worth keeping in the midst of all these releases. Makes me really question their logic. If he wasn't good enough to staym why was he on TV so much before his release? On the flipside, if he's good enough to be on TV like that & you've got stuff for him to do then why release him?

Delorean

Delorean

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
I guess they can't fall back on their age old excuse.

"Creative Had Nothing For This Wrestler"

Delorean

Delorean

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

quote:

Jim Cornette was released of his Ohio Valley Wrestling duties, reported WWE.com on Friday.

Cornette was said to be extremely burned out by his role with WWE's developmental territory. After returning from a 'vacation' designed to get his head back in the game, Cornette walked out of a taping, only to return an hour later.

The latest in a series of incidents featured Cornette slapping an OVW student several times after the student publicly laughed at Marty Wright, a heel, instead of showing fear.

During his vacation, Lance Storm, Tommy Dreamer and Al Snow handled his OVW duties. With Storm also gone from the company, it is not known how the OVW structure will change.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,942 posts
Well, from what I understand, Cornette really had that coming to him and is basically completely separate from the rest of the releases, despite the timing.