Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HIT or MISS: Roster Split

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Delorean

Delorean

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
What do you guys think about the roster split? Do you think its a HIT or MISS?

JTBT

JTBT

• Members
  • 5,362 posts
Miss.

Hit in concept, but miss in execution. I don't like the idea of complete isolation from each other. I think they should allow frequent switching, while keeping any given wrestler to one televised show a week.

Guest_Tank_*

Guest_Tank_*
  • Guests
Agreed.

I understand the split is easier on the wrestlers, but they have all but dropped the "war" between the brands and the fact champs could go to both shows. Those were the only elements that made it work.

They need to do some roster trades to spice things up.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,795 posts
I definitely think it has worked to an extent. The only thing that is really preventing the shows from being even better now are storylines involving the announcers and Vince clooging up so much air time.

Otherwise, they really have boosted tons of new talent, although some keeps getting buried because they keep increasing the size of the roster without getting rid of many wrestlers.

I think it is working pretty well now, though.

Panda Mime

Panda Mime

• Members
  • 119 posts

JTBT:
I think they should allow frequent switching, while keeping any given wrestler to one televised show a week.

Bingo! A roster split behind the scenes, not on camera. That's what I've always been calling for.

Darth Necromancy

Darth Necromancy

--Blank--

• Members
  • 2,646 posts
I would have liked the thing with the champs going back and forth to have worked out and would still like to see some champ vs champ matches and at least temporarily crown a new set of undisputed champs every now and again but other than that I'm happy with the split.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Hit or miss? I say both.

It has missed by starting off hot & failing to further capitalize on the one thing that caused huge ratings increases when the split began - roster trades. When they were making trades & keeping it secret until the night of their first appearance on their new show, the ratings climbed higher every week. But once they stopped the trades, the ratings increase stopped as well. The rotation of talent is key in order to keep each roster from becoming stale. Repeated storylines are no fun, without the occasional exception when a match is repeated w/ new stips or new storylines.

It has been a hit by allowing certain individuals to shine at what they do best. Look at Raw: Triple H, HBK, Ric Flair, Christian, Y2J - they are all great mic workers. Look at Smackdown: Chris Benoit, Rey Mysterio, Kurt Angle, Eddie Guererro, Tajiri - they're all great wrestlers. Raw has guys who talk about as much as (if not more than) they wrestle, while Smackdown has guys who primarily wrestle & would prefer to shut up & wrestle rather than talk their heads off. In that instance, the split has been a success.

Darth Bane

Darth Bane

Perdición de Darth

• 13,087 posts
I havent voted on this yet, cause I'm not too sure.

I mean if they made the brand split more important. Like they did at the beginning, when they tried to beat Smackdown! etc... I think they need to fued between shows... except subtly for now, otherwise it will grow tiresome. Then at a big PPV, eg: Survivor Series we have Inter-brand matches... i mean you can only watch Angle and Brock go at it so many times etc...

It's also succeeded as well, I believe. It's goodtimes. More guys get to shine etc... it's good.

Actually it was interesting to note that when HHH was making the stipulation for Goldberg that he has to quit if he loses he said 'and that means you cant go to some inferior show like...' I thought he was going to say NWA:TNA, but he said "Smackdown!" it's subtle things like that... you know? Interesting, to say the least.

I still dont think it's had enough time, yet. It's a big long-term thing and it'll build with time, I imagine. So, short term, a bit of a miss. Long term, it'll eventually hit it's mark.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
- They'll more than likely never mention NWA-TNA on WWE TV unless it's a very subtle remark by the commentators or perhaps on Confidential

- I'd like to see Benoit & perhaps Edge go to Raw in the future, they need some guys w/ a little more athleticism

- Kane would be surrounded by better athletes & most likely better storylines on Samckdown - but I think they key w/ him is to just keep him brutal & dominant. Raw matches since the split have, for the msot part, made him look like a total ***** until his heel turn, and he is still being haunted by those burials from HHH & La Resistance IMO

Guest_ogpapasmurf_*

Guest_ogpapasmurf_*
  • Guests

quote:

roster trades.

the roster split would be decent if they had more trades. they never make trades, when was the last one? or at the very least defections. didnt jericho defect to raw? they need to spice it up more. blockbuster trades. kane for undertaker, kane and rvd for brock. it would boost ratings i bet.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
There was a rumor going around not too long ago about Undertaker coming to Raw to battle Kane, and another about Kane making a jump to Smackdown - possibly in a Kane for 'Taker deal between the brands. I wouldn't mind that & it would make sense - Goldberg & 'Taker have both expressed a desire to work w/ each other sometime in the future hmmm

Starchick

Starchick

• Members
  • 4,256 posts
it seems the majority of the votes are going to miss (70% at the time of my vote).

ogpapasmurf:

quote:

roster trades.

the roster split would be decent if they had more trades. they never make trades, when was the last one? or at the very least defections. didnt jericho defect to raw? they need to spice it up more. blockbuster trades. kane for undertaker, kane and rvd for brock. it would boost ratings i bet.

Agreed. I think they could easily use defections as a cause for conflict. Or something. I can't quite place a finger on what I'd like to see, but the way they're handling the roster split isn't working for me.

Sir RamaLamaDingDong

Sir RamaLamaDingDong

smarter than the average bear

• Members
  • 8,614 posts
I kind of liked the WcW vs WWF but then it went to roster battles and I hate it! I voted Miss because I like wrestlers on both shows but I would want to see them in action with each other. There are only like 3 good matches on each program now...the others are like a bad episode of WCW saturday night!