Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Raw 2 -vs- Smackdown 4... and by default the 5th too.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Okay... here's my rundown. This is both factual for RAW 2 and Smackdown 4 and assumption when it comes to Smackdown 5 over the latest Raw. I know there is a RAW 2 thread, but I this is different than a dedicated thing. This is kind of a comparison thing.

RAW 2 - The Good & the Bad -

Visuals: Graphics, player models are second to no wrestling game. Some of the models look really shiney, almost "Barbie & Ken" plastic-like... but overall the best wrestling models ever. The Creater-a-Wrestler models even have a tongue, teeth!! Aweosme. The arena models are perfect and the overall presentation is almost exactly like it looks on TV.

Audio: The ability to import your own song for use as an enterance cannot be described as how cool it is. The sound effects are crispy clean and the themes of the wrestlers sound good. The constant music playing during the menu surfing gets really annoying, but you can hit the mute button or turn the music down in the options screen.

Gameplay: Dispite problems with the ladder matches, it's hard to grab the belt, the overall gameplay is buttery smooth. Although therein lies another problem, using the analog stick moves you too easily and much too fast. But to be fair the analog stick is supposed to be used for "running" and the D-Pad for everything else so it's not really a problem, more a "having to get used to using the D-Pad again" type of thing.

Storylines: Non existent, in the manner we all want anyway. There are is no announcing play by play during your match and there is no dialogue written or vocal during cut scenes... behold what Pro Wrestling looks and sounds like to a deaf person. The only up side to this the coolitude factor of the quasi-RPG elments to the storyline "Season" mode. You can interfere, call out, make friends etc etc by optioning for that before the "show" (as in the episode of Raw or Smackdown) starts. The is no "backstage" area, at least not in the way we want. The only "Backstage" is when you are "resting", "encouraging", "calling out" etc etc... but it's all preselected.

Create-A-Options: You can create peeps to your heart's content... almost. The CAW is great, but it can't do the extreme mods that you can do with Smackdown 4. The extreme upside though is this... the match announcer will call out your name in full. Well if you name is chosen from one of the tons of preselectable options. It's pretty cool. For instance you could have Lillian say, "Here's Mr. X the Patriot" or "Smoking Joe Jackson" or "Bruce Wayne" or "James Kirk" or "James Bond" or etc etc. It's not as varied as you are imagining right now, it's not a name dictionary... although the amount of preselectable names for the announcer to say are fairly good.

Logic: The AI is pretty tight, but the "roster/brand split" AI is retarded. Wrestlers appear on both shows, titles crossover etc etc. This is just another reason why the storyline "Season" mode kinda bites in Raw 2, in comparison to the near meca that is Smackdown 4's storyline mode.

Overall: Raw 2 is a good, no... it's a great wrestling game. Yet Raw 2 loses to Smackdown 4 and most likely will lose to Smackdown 5 because 1. the lack of dialogue in the Season mode, which is the real heart of any modern wrestling game and 2. the CAW in RAW 2, though very good, doesn't compare to the super modifications you can do in Smackdown 4 and most likely will be able to do again in Smackdown 5. Next year's Raw should be totally awesome though, if they correct the storyline/dialogue problem.

Question: THQ produces both games... none of their games are truly "complete" by themselves. Why don't they just marry all their best ideas into one game for all systems? Of course the Xbox version would still get to have that extra "theme song" importing and Superstar editor because of the harddrive... but what I'm saying here is sound.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,804 posts
What? Is Wrestlemania XIX, which I have been enjoying oh so much (when I should be doing schoolwork), not worthy enough of being compared alongside these other games????

:D

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts

Jacen123:
What? Is Wrestlemania XIX, which I have been enjoying oh so much (when I should be doing schoolwork), not worthy enough of being compared alongside these other games????

:D

No slight intended. I've never played XIX or the previous Wrestlemania for the GameCube, so I have no basis for comparison.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,804 posts
That's what I figured.

Alas, I haven't played any of the Smackdown or Raw games, although if they opportunity presented tiself, I would definitely take advantage of it, if for nothing else with the first RAW and early Smackdown so I would know what others are talking about. The newer ones, like these two neset, I would jump at the opportunity to play them.

Darth Bane

Darth Bane

Perdición de Darth

• 13,087 posts
Thanks Torchy! That's a great write-up!

We've borrowed an X-Box from a friend who has gone to the USA for about 3 months... i'm tossing up whether to buy RAW2 or not... we're still figuring out whether we should get an XBox or PS2... but with the new models coming out... XBox Live, PS3 and XBox2 in the making... i'm not sure what to do... although I may be able to get an old XBox from my friend at Microsoft once XBox2 is up... mehe...

Thanks for that...

Guest_Tank_*

Guest_Tank_*
  • Guests
My cousin is a video game junkie and has both a PS2 and an Xbox.

From what he tells me, Xbox with Ram is the game to have for when you and a buddy sit down to duke it out. However if you are playing alone, and in season mode, Smackdown on PS2 is far more entertaining.

While the stunning graphics of the xBox make me tinge with jealousy, I would be satiated if the new Smackdown will have the design an entrance option added in.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,804 posts
It sounds like it's really fun. After having not had a season mode in any of my wrestling games on the Cube, I'm longing for one. Both Raws and Smackdown's seem cool to me...and wow! After seeing some video of footage of Raw2, I'm impressed. It looks great.

Panda Mime

Panda Mime

• Members
  • 119 posts

Tank:
My cousin is a video game junkie and has both a PS2 and an Xbox.

From what he tells me, Xbox with Ram is the game to have for when you and a buddy sit down to duke it out. However if you are playing alone, and in season mode, Smackdown on PS2 is far more entertaining.

While the stunning graphics of the xBox make me tinge with jealousy, I would be satiated if the new Smackdown will have the design an entrance option added in.

If only I could have wrote it so succinctly.

Typhoon

Typhoon

• Members
  • 215 posts
Why hasnt WWE mentioned anything about Raw 2..instead they waist time with XIX..I have heard some much..BAD THINGS ABOUT THE GAME!It sad..

Panda Mime

Panda Mime

• Members
  • 119 posts
The WWE hasn't mentioned anything about RAW 2 because they know that the single play experience still rules the roost when it comes to Wrestling games... and RAW 2's season mode sucks. I wasn't kidding when I wrote that RAW 2 has no announcing play by play or dialogue vocal or written in the "storyline" season mode. Not to mention that the season mode is so stupid the GM's keep setting up matches and making you fight the Divas. I've fought Torrie Wilson like 4 times! I'm starting to feel bad now when I punch her in the face.

Side Note: Hence the handle... Panda Mime. The CAW in RAW 2 has Panda and Mime selectable for Lillian to say when you are announced. The CAW also has a cute Panda mask, so my CAW for RAW 2 is the Magnificent Panda Mime. :lol: I wish I would have rented this game before I bought it. I screwed myself out of 50 bucks. It's a multiplayer game only... the game absolutely sucks for single player - if you've played Smackdown 4.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,804 posts

Typhoon:
Why hasnt WWE mentioned anything about Raw 2..instead they waist time with XIX..I have heard some much..BAD THINGS ABOUT THE GAME!It sad..

Really? Most of what I've heard or seen myself that's bad with XIX is nitpicky stuff, except for lack of a real season mode, although I do enjoy Revenge mode...except for this one stupid level...swinging over cars isn't fun...

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
IMO nothing beats the 1-player options on any of the Smackdown games starting w/ Smackdown! 2: Know Your Role for PS1 that came out back in November 2000. I still play that game from time to time...