Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A very sad but very important moment...(THE OFFICIAL"WHERE WERE YOU?" THREAD)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts
You will never forget what you were doing when you heard about it the first time. Like Pearl Harbor, The Kennedy Assasination, The Attempted Assination on Ronald Reagan, The Challenger Incident, and the Bombing at Oklahoma City. This event will be forever with those of us who were alive when it happened. I'm curious how we will refer to it. This event is so big, so awful it's almost hard to believe. I told Silky I feel like I have to keep reading about it on the internet or listening to the news just to be able to believe it has happened. It is surreal.

(Title edit for Cantina thread-focusing reasons.)

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: NumberSix ]

Catalin

Catalin

• Members
  • 11,496 posts
I agree....I'm not American but does that make one shread of difference. Stuff like this is too tragic for me to really care where I was born or where I live.

I still can't believe it.

Andrew

Andrew

• 1,956 posts
Your totally right ES. This moment will be frozen in time.
You will not forget where you were when you heard about this tragic attack!

Angylkat

Angylkat

Goddess of Cattitude

• Members
  • 8,780 posts
I agree.

Silky Jinn

Silky Jinn

Imzadi

• Members
  • 27,303 posts
I know I'll remember.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
definitely. this is the probably the biggest loss of civilian life (by unnatural means) since Nagasaki

we'll all remember

for me it'll be that i was about to go to bed after reading a chapter of Star Wars: Balance Point and just turned on the TV for a sec and heard the CNN anchor's voice quivering

Min

Min

• Members
  • 1,683 posts
I was headed upstairs to get my newspaper from the dorm office.

I was handed the news..

But I actually never went over to the desk to ask for my paper, it seemed no longer important.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,754 posts
I was sorting computer reports at the time. Not particularly glamorous or evocative...just a typical quiet moment. Until.

After today, I'll be treasuring the quiet moments a lot more.

Master Ed Avlis

Master Ed Avlis

Shaking things up

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
I heard it on the car radio when I got out of school. I'm a Brit, but this effects the entire world. Britain is backing the States 100% on whatever they need to do. I just want some form of revenge.

Andrew

Andrew

• 1,956 posts
I was entering data, into one of our databases, preparing for a meeting that I was conducting this afternoon. My co-worker announced that the WTC had just been bombed, and then all hell broke loose!

Tragic event after tragic event happened. Each one more unbelievable than the last.

Its still all so surreal. I've seen the pictures, the film and it still doesn't seem real!

Lost in Coruscant

Lost in Coruscant

Overlord

• Members
  • 12,399 posts
My mom woke me up.

Chalcedony

Chalcedony

Infinity welcomes careful drivers.

• Members
  • 20,584 posts
I was at work and had gone to the cafeteria for my ten-minute break. There's a TV that's always tuned to CNN, and everyone was gathered around watching smoke coming out of the towers. It was dreadful.

ElfinYoda

ElfinYoda

Oh my god Becky, look at her Big Book...

• Members
  • 7,184 posts
This is too real for me, I am in the midst of it.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,078 posts
I was at work.

An anonymous caller gave a message to a co-worker for me, telling me that the World Trade Center had been bombed. At first, we were so much in shock that the whole thing seemed funny - especially the fact the weird message. I called my mom at work to find out if she had been the one, and I discovered it was her, and the whole thing was real.

At that point, my knees started to shake. They haven't stopped since.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,754 posts
[quote]Originally posted by D-Ray Kenobi:
I'm sorry to talk even more about this, and this is completely DEVESTATING....but for the sake of history...

Myself, I was sitting in my english class and the history teacher came in looking very distraught and they turned on the radio,..at first i thought the president had been shot but we listend to NPR and about ten seconds later I had found out what is going on...

[quote]Originally posted by Lost in Coruscant:
My mom woke me up; I got a quick shower, then came here, turning on NBC as I shot past the tv.

Moira

Moira

• Members
  • 322 posts
I was in Chemistry, we were talking about how to do some sort of experiment properly, and a custodian went by and says "Did you hear? The World Trade center was hit by a plane and it's collapsed, and the Pentagon is on fire."

DANA-kin Skywalker

DANA-kin Skywalker

American

• 8,781 posts
I was online when it happened. I saw Femurbone's "Plane crashes into world trade center?" thread. I was shocked; I turned on the TV. I saw the building standing there smoking; then I saw it give way and crumble to the ground.

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: DANA-kin Skywalker ]

NeoNatar

NeoNatar

• Members
  • 690 posts
I had just gotten up and was readying myself for work. The phone rang incessantly, but at first I refused to answer and let the machine get it. They left no answer and repeatedly tried to call. I finally answered. It was my mother bearing the news... I immediately went to the television... I couldn't believe what I saw... I just couldn't believe it. NY is my favorite city. I just couldn't imagine the... hurrendous and sheer.. horror...

My prayers are with all those involved.

Starchild13

Starchild13

• Members
  • 2,038 posts
i was a foot away from my 2nd period class when a girl on her way to band tells my teacher that a plane had crashed. my teacher than turns on the tv and we see the towers smoking.

Darth Whoever

Darth Whoever

Leaf on the Wind

• Members
  • 12,286 posts
Today I was in geometry just coming back from getting my student ID badge made and I was starting to work on my homework when my teacher came in and told us that two planes had crashed into the World Trade Center. We went next door to another teacher's classroom and turned on the TV, since he was the only one in the hall with one. And then there was the breaking news that the Pentagon had been hit as well. I was in total shock when I saw the pictures on the news, but I didn't have much time before the bell rang to go to architecture, where we watched the news the entire period. It really didn't sink in until about lunchtime...

Lady of the Rings

Lady of the Rings

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
I was at work and it was when I got home, about 11.00 EST that I found out, by a rather confusing sister who kept blurting out things about planes and buildings falling. I really didn't have a clue.

Warrior

Warrior

• Members
  • 3,536 posts
[quote]Originally posted by EwoksSuck:
You will never forget what you were doing when you heard about it the first time. Like Pearl Harbor, The Kennedy Assasination, The Attempted Assination on Ronald Reagan, The Challenger Incident, and the Bombing at Oklahoma City.

I was eating eggs and hash when I heard aobut it.....

Lady Palpatine

Lady Palpatine

Still a Lurker

• Members
  • 6,503 posts
I woke up, took a shower and checked on nightly where I saw several threads saying something had happened, but nothing saying what. So I tried to log onto cnn.com and a couple other sites which weren't up since my tv is messed. At that point my mom called and I had to get her to explain the whole thing since I couldn't pick the details out of anything.

Angylkat

Angylkat

Goddess of Cattitude

• Members
  • 8,780 posts
I was laying down before I left for work when I first heard it. I listened to the updates as I drove in.

Traffic Skywalker

Traffic Skywalker

• Members
  • 4,231 posts
For me, it was very surreal, one shock after another. I heard about the first plane on a sports talk show that I was listening to on my way home from the morning shift. I figured it was just some freaky, fluke thing, like a single engine plane had a mechanical failure.

I then heard about the second plane on the same show, which I had tuned in when I got home. At that point, I tuned in CNN, and that's when I heard about the Pentagon, as soon as I turned on the TV. I then watched both towers of TWC collapse live on television. Disturbing and devastating.

This all happened over the course of about an hour and 20 minutes.