Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Halo 2.

2471 replies to this topic

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts
Thanks for resizing that DOM, the resized shot doesn't emphasize as much detail such as the tracer of the 3D polygon bullet shell, but you can still see the tracer, MC's armor (as the update mentions look at MC's glove), or the blue MC in the background with the needler, but it keeps the thread nice and readable.

I'm thinking that the blue MC in the air while shooting the rocket launcher must be jumping from a cliff or platform behind him. And the one red MC standing in the background looks a bit funny but I think the after effect of a shield is at the very end of its endurance, you can kind of see the light of it, and he is being shot so his shield probably had just ran out when this shot was taken.

Damn that's a beauty and it's going to get better.

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts
Of course the bad news is that Bungie are now striving for a Fall release but at least MS has gotten on them and made sure they came up with a concrete release date. The game is already playable yet it wont be out until Fall, now that's a developer that cares!

Lord Malice

Lord Malice

The Pixelante

• 12,646 posts
I hope to God they have other skins besides colorful versions of Master Chief.

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts
There is the classic Halo such as MC vs. MC as shown above which will use red and blue, and several other colors for deathmatch.

And from what I've read there is the squad based multiplayer action with the marines vs. covenant.

You didn't like Halo's multiplayer on the PC? I didn't have a problem with MC vs. MC, multiplayer in that game is so awesome and on Live it's going to improve much more, not to mention it looks far more detailed.

Positively Kanyon

Positively Kanyon

• Members
  • 1,095 posts

A Munkeys Uncle:
I was curious as to what he found disturbing about Halo's controls, you can make them very close to that of MP's or any other FPS on either of the next gen systems.  The schemes are all pretty similar with the right analog stick, the left stick, and the face buttons, and the GC/Xbox both utilize triggers, the GC's triggers are clickable and the Xbox's analog sticks are clickable.

But yes, Halo's controls are extraordinarily
customizable, but I feel default is pretty close to perfection.

I didn't know about the customization of the controls in the setup. Ignorance on my part, but I still feel that Metroid Prime's default control setup craps on Halo's control setup. I'm not a big fan of the "dual analog" control scheme. And don't forget that GoldenEye has a similar control setup to Metroid Prime and some people argue that it is up there with some of the best FPS of all time.

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts
Yes Golden Eye was great but that system (the N 64) wasn't built with the genre of FPS's in mind, the Xbox was especially the controller. Many have gone to the point of saying the controller feels as if you're holding the butt of dual pistols.

Ever since Red Faction on the PS 2 this has been my favorite FPS scheme, and Halo does this perfectly. There are people playing the PC version with the Controller S against people with a keyboard and mouse and kicking their asses.

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts
Destructable terrain anyone?

Posted Image

Shady

Shady

Lean Toward The Sun

• Members
  • 6,253 posts

AMU:
There are people playing the PC version with the Controller S against people with a keyboard and mouse and kicking their asses.

I have bared witness to such a task!! Incredible, but true...

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts
I can tell you one thing. "That aint happenin in Golden Eye..." Even if it were practical.

Lord Malice

Lord Malice

The Pixelante

• 12,646 posts

quote:

You didn't like Halo's multiplayer on the PC? I didn't have a problem with MC vs. MC, multiplayer in that game is so awesome and on Live it's going to improve much more, not to mention it looks far more detailed.

I don't own Halo on PC.

Pibb

Pibb

• Members
  • 115 posts
Anyone else hoping that AMU won't go ape**** when the game comes out and make 20 topics saying "I've played Halo 2 on live for 20 hours"
and his post saying:

....And it was Great!

:|

Lord Malice

Lord Malice

The Pixelante

• 12,646 posts
Sorry. That will occur.

Pibb

Pibb

• Members
  • 115 posts
Heh, I wonder what AMU would be like if all of a sudden the world went and said : "Nope! No more games! sorry!"

Then he could do something with his life

Positively Kanyon

Positively Kanyon

• Members
  • 1,095 posts

A Munkeys Uncle:
Yes Golden Eye was great but that system (the N 64) wasn't built with the genre of FPS's in mind, the Xbox was especially the controller. Many have gone to the point of saying the controller feels as if you're holding the butt of dual pistols.

That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. The N64 not designed for FPS? GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Doom 64, Quake 64 do I need to go on? The N64 was perfectly capable of handling those games.

Your unquestionable devotion to Bungie and Halo 2 is laughable, and I hope the game falls flat on it's face just to piss you off.

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts
What I said was that the system wasn't built with those games in mind. Although those games played GREAT as far as console FPS's go I don't think we'd be able to perform against someone using a keyboard and mouse as people are doing with the Xbox controller.

I own Golden Eye and Perfect Dark. I use to own Turok and DOOM 64.

There were tons of FPS's on the PSX and Dreamcast as well, as a matter of fact you could play against people using the keyboard and mouse in Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament, and other games that were cross platform online between the Dreamcast and PC, and it wasn't fun. Of course these games supported the keyboard and mouse on the DC as well but I only had the keyboard, not the mouse so I got my ass kicked all the time. It was similar to the controls of Golden Eye where we used the face buttons to strafe and or run.

I feel the N 64 was built with platformers in mind, and to this day the system has the best platformers made in my opinion.

Positively Kanyon

Positively Kanyon

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
Yeah but you're saying that the Xbox controller was specifically designed for FPS, and that the controller is better than a mouse-keyboard. Are you telling me that an Xbox is more "accurate" than a mouse?

That's the part of your rambling I find hard to believe, that in your blind devotion to Xbox and Halo 2, you're making outrageous claims that the Xbox controller is more accurate than a mouse and keyboard.

As for my comment about Metroid Prime's controls, I felt that the controls for MP felt very tight in comparison with Halo's controls. I thought Halo's default controls were very sloppy and didn't give me a whole lot of accuracy. Same with PC shooters, I feel the mouse and keyboard combo won't be surpassed for a long time.

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts
What I am saying is that there was a competition at IGN between people using the Controller S and the keyboard and mouse in the PC version of Halo. Mayman and some other members there challenged some PC gamers from IGN and ended up winning about 50% of the games. This isn't evidence that the Xbox controller is better than a keyboard and mouse but it is an example of how nice Halo's controls are with the Xbox controller.

And yes I believe the Xbox controller was designed around the FPS genre, and I also feel it is host to the best FPS's on a console, ever.

Halo, Time Splitters 2, Return to Castlewolfenstein: Tides of War, Unreal 2, Unreal Championship, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six 3, Red Faction 2, X III, and Counter Strike to name a few with Halo 2, Half Life 2, Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy, DOOM III, Dead Mans Hand, Thief 3, Perfect Dark Zero, Star Wars: Battlefront, and many others I'm sure I've forgotten.

So yes I feel the Xbox is the console to have for FPS.

Gibberish

Gibberish

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Positively Kanyon:
Any ideas what the controls will be like? I played Halo on my cousins Xbox and I hated the controls, absolutely ruined it for me.

I think I've been spoilt by Metroid Prime

I see what you mean. Being able to look up and down and strafe with ease in the heat of combat totally sucks. Thank god they got rid of that in MP.

Positively Kanyon

Positively Kanyon

• Members
  • 1,095 posts

A Munkeys Uncle:

Halo, Time Splitters 2, Return to Castlewolfenstein: Tides of War, Unreal 2, Unreal Championship, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six 3, Red Faction 2, X III, and Counter Strike to name a few with Halo 2, Half Life 2, Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy, DOOM III, Dead Mans Hand, Thief 3, Perfect Dark Zero, Star Wars: Battlefront, and many others I'm sure I've forgotten.

So how many of those were actually on PC first?

Joedark0

Joedark0

King of the Useless

• Members
  • 5,448 posts
Seriously, PC is the thing for fps

as far as the controls go, it just depends how much you play. I play halo & MP, and im perfectly comfortable with both.

As far as the contoller being made for fps, don't you think the game's control were sculpted around the control? I hardly think that the main thing Gates thought about was making the xbox perfect for fps, but bad for other types.

otherwise, you would have rock solid fps controls, but crap platformer of whtever else controls.

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts

Positively Kanyon:

Positively Kanyon:

So how many of those were actually on PC first?

Some of them never even made it out on the PC (Unreal Championship, TS 2, and Red Faction 2).

And Tides of War/Rainbow Six 3 are filled with TONS of new features for the Xbox, including Tides of War's five + hours of added gameplay to the single player campaign, and co-op support in the single player campaign.

But it doesn't really matter which were on the PC first, I said the Xbox is the premier console for FPS and not just anyones PC is going to play a game such as Halo or Unreal 2.

Rainbow Six 3 got ok reviews on the PC, it got steller reviews for the Xbox, same with Wolfenstein, and I'm expecting Unreal 2's online vehichular combat addition to do some magic to the Xbox version as well.

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts

Joedark0:
Seriously, PC is the thing for fps

as far as the controls go, it just depends how much you play. I play halo & MP, and im perfectly comfortable with both.

As far as the contoller being made for fps, don't you think the game's control were sculpted around the control? I hardly think that the main thing Gates thought about was making the xbox perfect for fps, but bad for other types.

otherwise, you would have rock solid fps controls, but crap platformer of whtever else controls.

I don't think Bill Gates had anything to do with the design of the system whatsoever. I just feel the designers of the controller definately had the genre of FPS in mind, as I said to me it even feels as if you're holding a gun in each hand when holding the Xbox controller. I'm not sayingn this is a fact but it's just something I believe.

Pibb

Pibb

• Members
  • 115 posts
I dunno, I kinda wanna see Halo 2 come out both X-box and PC at the same time. That way we can compare with sales or something.

Sephi

Sephi

Curse you Frances, curse you

• 18,789 posts

quote:

and not just anyones PC is going to play a game such as Halo

i think no one's PC can run it. stupid gearbox.

Joedark0

Joedark0

King of the Useless

• Members
  • 5,448 posts
laugh True enough.

Reply to this topic