Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GTA: San Andreas

1284 replies to this topic

Darth Rat

Darth Rat

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
I got this in my e-mail this morning!

from rockstargames.com:

GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS ANNOUNCED

Rockstar Games is pleased to announce Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the next iteration in the globally successful Grand Theft Auto franchise. Developed by world-class designers Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be available exclusively for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and is expected to be in stores in North America on October 19, 2004 and in Europe on October 22, 2004. "In the past couple of years, we have put an enormous amount of pressure on ourselves to ensure we do everything possible to exceed people's expectations with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," stated Sam Houser, President of Rockstar Games. "Even though we still have eight months to go, we are starting to become very proud of what we have achieved and we can't wait to get the game into players' hands." Leslie Benzies, President of Rockstar North, stated, "We are extremely humbled by the success of the Grand Theft Auto series and it has made us push ourselves further than ever to create a title in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas that will hopefully redefine the Grand Theft Auto series and revolutionize open-ended gameplay and video game production values." Over 30 million units of the Grand Theft Auto franchise have been shipped to date, including over 11.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and over 10.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto 3.

Awesome! I can't wait to get some details!

Final DarkHour

Final DarkHour

• Members
  • 3,770 posts
2004? Are they even updating the engine any? Man, its gonna be GTA3 - Upgrade, like Vice City. True Crimes 2 woo! lol. Oh well, we'll see how this turns out. Kinda sucks that its exclusive to ps2, means I have to wait a while for PC ver or XBOX to follow...

Darth Rat

Darth Rat

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
I don't know but they claim Andreas is going to redefine the GTA series and revolutionize open ended gameplay. It sounds like they have been working on it for a while.

Chaos_Effect

Chaos_Effect

• Members
  • 9,122 posts
YES! I CAN'T ****ING WAIT!!!1111111ONE

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• Members
  • 11,651 posts
well since hte harddrive is gonna be out later this month, maybe they plan on using that and maybe the online adapter to allow online gaming...

Lord Malice

Lord Malice

The Pixelante

• 12,646 posts

]ScRoCH[:
well since hte harddrive is gonna be out later this month, maybe they plan on using that and maybe the online adapter to allow online gaming...

That would be kinda dumb. An entire game world full of criminals?

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I hate the exclusive crap. IMO, if it's a game that can be handled by other systems, is by sure going to be popular, then go for broke, bring in all that extra dough and port it.

Just makes me wish that there was a universal programming standard for each console generation... kinda like VCRs and DVD players, movies play on all brands. I mean MS, Sony and Nintendo could still produce consoles with upsides/downsiders for each... like say Nintendo doesn't want DVD movie playing, so they don't have that feature which lowers their console's cost / MS goes full on with a Harddrive and their Xbox Live gaming network etc etc.

Jango Fett

Jango Fett

The King

• Members
  • 3,861 posts
I guess GTA IV will be saved for PS3.

Darth Rat

Darth Rat

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
Yeah, I think I've heard that. This will be the last GTA until IV is a launch title for the PS3.

Final DarkHour

Final DarkHour

• Members
  • 3,770 posts
Yeah, thats what I meant this is just an upgrade, since once again they decided not to number it... :-/

Darth Rat

Darth Rat

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
But if you read the last couple of sentences it says San Andreas will redefine the series. That tells me they are doing something different, or at least tweeking it a lot.

Final DarkHour

Final DarkHour

• Members
  • 3,770 posts
Yeah, I read the hype. What I mean is, Half Life 2 redefines the series, Doom 3 redefines the series. Grand Theft Auto can only do so much at this point if you know what i mean, they achived almost everything anyone wanted with Vice City, only thing I want is better controls, blood, better graphics, bullet time and max payne like on foot action... so... I don[t know, either way it sounds great... can't wait to her more about it...

Darth Rat

Darth Rat

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
good point

soapofdurden

soapofdurden

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
Better controls and better graphics I agree with. Bullet time on the other hand...

Sir RamaLamaDingDong

Sir RamaLamaDingDong

smarter than the average bear

• Members
  • 8,614 posts
real cars and more of them...

Darth Rat

Darth Rat

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
I just read on IGN that we could expect more hilly terrain, like San Francisco. That should be interesting.

Final DarkHour

Final DarkHour

• Members
  • 3,770 posts

soapofdurden:
Better controls and better graphics I agree with. Bullet time on the other hand...

To hell with that, every game has it now, it serves a lot of purpose. Not just dodging bullets, for example, I would love to be able to dive OUT of the car and shoot like max payne. Obviously thats "unrealistic" then again taking 3 shotgun blasts in the back is too... Also just like in the new james bond game, bullettime serves a really great purpose, like the ability to change weapons without being bothered and at the same time keeping the flow in really really slow motion... Obviously thats asking for too much, but I would love to be able to have Max Payne style GTA game... Its like a dream. True Crimes is almost there, almost, hopefully true crimes 2 will be just that.

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts

Darth Rat:
I don't know but they claim Andreas is going to redefine the GTA series and revolutionize open ended gameplay. It sounds like they have been working on it for a while.

I don't really know how it is going to revolutionize open ended gameplay if it's built for the PS 2 from the ground up. I mean the first game was revolutionary but it wan't seamless by any means, it wasn't hard to tell that the first two games pushed the PS 2 pretty hard so I'm pretty sure they're just more concerned on where the money's at and then us Xbox owners will get this crap rehash that runs and looks like **** compared to other Xbox games.

And I'm just being realistic here, the PS 2 is starting to show its age, they should make it for the Xbox/PC first and port it to the PS 2 if they want to revolutionize something. At least the Xbox and PC versions can be revolutionary, kind of like Max Payne, Morrowind, KOTOR, and Splinter Cell on these two platforms, of which were made for said platforms.

Gibberish

Gibberish

• Members
  • 1,207 posts
I hope they do more to improve the fighting system than change the appearance of the targeting reticle *cough*vicecity*cough* :P

Other than that, I'm totally psyched.

Euronymous

Euronymous

Sworn to a Great Divide

• 10,041 posts
I don't care if it's GTA3 with just another make over. The game's good enough to be able to milk the ***** out of it.

I'm assuming this will be set in modern times as opposed to the 1980's.

Chaos_Effect

Chaos_Effect

• Members
  • 9,122 posts
I wouldn't mind another turn in the 80's. They are the best decade IMO.

Jango Fett

Jango Fett

The King

• Members
  • 3,861 posts
And this would be the new logo.

Posted Image

Definately going to pick up this one.

Guest_Tank_*

Guest_Tank_*
  • Guests
I keep seeing this argument over GTA: (Title) vs. GTA: (number)

who cares!?

San Andreas is clearly a desert California/Nevada nod. That could be a pretty cool setting. Desert highways. Vegas style cities, San Fransisco Hills, Oil barons, Vegas mafia, maybe they'll mix in a bit of Hollywood too.

Euronymous

Euronymous

Sworn to a Great Divide

• 10,041 posts

A Munkeys Uncle:

And I'm just being realistic here, the PS 2 is starting to show its age, they should make it for the Xbox/PC first and port it to the PS 2 if they want to revolutionize something. At least the Xbox and PC versions can be revolutionary, kind of like Max Payne, Morrowind, KOTOR, and Splinter Cell on these two platforms, of which were made for said platforms.

No suprises there from you.

If only Bill Gates could be president right, AMU?

laugh

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts
Yeah whatever you say. You just go on thinking that the PS 2 has soooo... much more to give in terms of hardware.

I'm not saying it isn't going to be a great game, I don't know that, but I'm saying the PS 2 has OBVIOUSLY reached its limits in terms of hardware.

I have nothing more to say to you about it.

Reply to this topic