Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Revolution Revelations: RED STEEL site launch - Another exclusive ,Nibris's SADNESS

• Please log in to reply
509 replies to this topic

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
Still don't like the name Wii perhaps you'll get your wish. Based on certain evidence, speculation is leaning towards the whole Wii announcement as a viral campaign to keep people focused on Nintendo in these days leading up to E3.

http://kotaku.com/ga...-wii-170381.php

Did Nintendo Punk Us with Wii?

I spoke with branding company Igor International yesterday about Nintendo’s choice of Wii as the new name for their next-gen console.

During the interview Steve Manning became convinced that Nintendo had deliberately picked a bad name for the console and that it was, in fact, fake. Manning thinks that Nintendo is creating an enormous viral campaign by releasing a fake name and then coming back during E3 and announcing the real one.

It looks like he’s not the only one who thinks this. Site Snark Hunting is also convinced, here’s why:

Crazy? Here is the first clue, “By letting the gaming community vent now about the name, they will be less distracted as launch titles for the system are announced and initial reports about what it’s like to play the games begin to come in.” Allowing your audience time to vent is not SOP in a name announcement, and also telegraphs that Nintendo knows what a stinker this name would be.

Second, it’s not possible to engineer a worse name for this product.

Third, and this is a big one, there are no trademarks registered by Nintendo nor by any dummy corp in the U.S or over there for Wii. This is unprecedented for Nintendo and it is not possible that his is an oversight. If Wii were the name, they would have registered it. In fact, no new trademarks have been registered by Nintendo at all. This leads us to conclude that Nintendo has in fact registered the real name under a dummy corp, which is SOP when trying to keep a name a secret prior to launch.

I’ve asked Nintendo reps straight out if this was the case, several times, and they deny it through and through. They also say they don’t know why the name isn’t yet trademarked.

Manning is now calling this the “most savvy name announcement we have seen in many years.”

We think Nintendo is setting you all up to be Punk’d at E3, generating a massive amount of positive buzz when the scam and the real new name are announced.

Given that their video game audience is the same demographic as Punk’d, the whole campaign is perversely elegant. Except of course for failing to make the illusion complete by registering a TM for Wii.

Personally, I think this would run too many risks and could far too easily backfire for Nintendo to attempt it. I’m thinking Nintendo just thinks the shock is going to create an instant and lasting impression.

Update: This just in from Nintendo on the subject of the missing Wii trademark: “Nintendo has filed many trademark applications for Wii. Trademark Web sites often take time to update, and you can expect the Wii trademarks to appear shortly.”

Nintendo Wii Brilliant [Snark Hunting]

It's an interesting observation to say the least - I belive Perrin Kaplan had told IGN in one of their "Nintendo Minute" articles that Nintendo was planning on using a viral marketing campaign just prior to this years E3. So, perhaps it's not to out there to think the Wii name is not the final name. I would caution you though, just because someone has found evidence to indicate a sly move on Nintendo's part doesn't absolutely rule out the Wii is not the system's name.

Joedark0

Joedark0

King of the Useless

• Members
  • 5,448 posts
I like the idea you highlighted in the madden article.

Using the nunchuck as an additional movement control? That's freaking awsome.

My dreams of dual wielding in red steel are now true ;)

Durty D

Durty D

Star Wars nerd

• Members
  • 5,919 posts
I was thinking about duel weilding last night - as one often does - and how wii is going to offer us a new aspect of gaming.

Traditionally in video games when we faced with two enemies on either side of the screen (left and right) we focus on killing one of them and then focus on the next.

In real life if you have two guns you could shoot them both - because your arms are independent of each other. The wii-mote allows us to do the same

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
In real life you could shoot at both, but you'd be far better of focusing fire on first one and then another. Despite what you see on TV and movies a free swinging / unsupported arm isn't exactly a stable platform to fire a gun from - sure it looks cool on screen but recoil will progressively cause your aim to drift. [note sci-fi energy weapons excluded]

But since games are meant to be fun, such real life applications of physics are ignored, so it may indeed be possible to independantly fire 2 weapons in a game with some level of profiency, perhaps not as well as focusing on a single enemy at a time but well enough.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

Still don't like the name Wii perhaps you'll get your wish. Based on certain evidence, speculation is leaning towards the whole Wii announcement as a viral campaign to keep people focused on Nintendo in these days leading up to E3.

Nintendo to us:

It's Wii. Suck it.

Durty D

Durty D

Star Wars nerd

• Members
  • 5,919 posts

In real life you could shoot at both, but you'd be far better of focusing fire on first one and then another. Despite what you see on TV and movies a free swinging / unsupported arm isn't exactly a stable platform to fire a gun from - sure it looks cool on screen but recoil will progressively cause your aim to drift. [note sci-fi energy weapons excluded]

But since games are meant to be fun, such real life applications of physics are ignored, so it may indeed be possible to independantly fire 2 weapons in a game with some level of profiency, perhaps not as well as focusing on a single enemy at a time but well enough.

I was going to refrain from using 'real life' as an example but i did and I'm glad that you bought this up.

This adds a whole new dynamic to games - you'll be asking yourself whether it's better to take a chance and fire at two enemies - with reduced accuracy

or

To concentrate fire on one particular enemy - with increased accuracy but with a chance of being shot at by the unattended enemy.

Very interesting

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,544 posts
That Madden game sounds awesome.

Clone Trooper 1138

Clone Trooper 1138

• Members
  • 903 posts

Time Magazine got to play with the Wii early, and thankfully, they did not go blind in the process. They not only confirmed but got to play three Wii games: a new Warioware, a new Legend of Zelda titled Twilight Princess, and a tennis game.

Want to read the full article? Shame on you, it's not available yet. But here's three juicy paragraphs to get your juices flowing:

Nintendo gave TIME the first look at its new controller--but before I pick it up, Miyamoto suggests that I remove my jacket. That turns out to be a good idea. The first game I try--Miyamoto walks me through it, which to a gamer is the rough equivalent of getting to trade bons mots with Jerry Seinfeld--is a Warioware title (Wario being Mario's shorter, fatter evil twin). It consists of dozens of manic five-second mini games in a row. They're geared to the Japanese gaming sensibility, which has a zany, cartoonish, game-show bent. In one hot minute, I use the controller to swat a fly, do squat-thrusts as a weight lifter, turn a key in a lock, catch a fish, drive a car, sauté some vegetables, balance a broom on my outstretched hand, color in a circle and fence with a foil. And yes, dance the hula. Since very few people outside Nintendo have seen the new hardware, the room is watching me closely.

It's a remarkable experience. Instead of passively playing the games, with the new controller you physically perform them. You act them out. It's almost like theater: the fourth wall between game and player dissolves. The sense of immersion--the illusion that you, personally, are projected into the game world--is powerful. And there's an instant party atmosphere in the room. One advantage of the new controller is that it not only is fun, it looks fun. When you play with an old-style controller, you look like a loser, a blank-eyed joystick fondler. But when you're jumping around and shaking your hulamaker, everybody's having a good time.

After Warioware, we play scenes from the upcoming Legend of Zelda title, Twilight Princess, a moody, dark (by Nintendo's Disneyesque standards) fantasy adventure. Now I'm Errol Flynn, sword fighting with the controller, then aiming a bow and arrow, then using it as a fishing rod, reeling in a stubborn virtual fish. The third game, and probably the most fun, is also the simplest: tennis. The controller becomes a racket, and I'm smacking forehands and stroking backhands. The sensors are fine enough that you can scoop under the ball to lob it, or slice it for spin. At the end, I don't so much put the controller down as have it pried from my hands. Source

They had to pry the controler out of his hands,sounds awesome coming from what I guess is a non-gamer.

Joedark0

Joedark0

King of the Useless

• Members
  • 5,448 posts
man, I can't wait to try this out.

Warioware for the revolution, it seems like a perfect fit!

Durty D

Durty D

Star Wars nerd

• Members
  • 5,919 posts

You act them out. It's almost like theater: the fourth wall between game and player dissolves. The sense of immersion--the illusion that you, personally, are projected into the game world--is powerful.
Source

Wow