Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Revolution Revelations: RED STEEL site launch - Another exclusive ,Nibris's SADNESS

509 replies to this topic

Quasibonko

Quasibonko

Crazy Clown Freak

• Members
  • 4,848 posts

Darth D:
You look around by moving the controller around. Want to duck then move you hand down. Want to jump then move your hand up.

The fact that there are motion sensors means that you don't need a second analog stick!

Simple really

But you do need one analog stick to be able to move around, DD. You can't move around with the wand of love alone as that will only allow you to point, shoot and as you pointed out, duck and maybe jump. The other buttons on the initial controller might have other functions OR even better, you might be able to do key bindings like in other FPS' and have most of the things motion sensored through the stick of goodness. I could get used to that. It might actually get me into playing FPS' other than Timespliters. hehe No, Im not really excited about this.

Durty D

Durty D

Star Wars nerd

• Members
  • 5,919 posts
Yeah, yeah...you'll need the first analog stick but not a 'second' didn't really flesh out what i was meaning

Positively Kanyon

Positively Kanyon

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
Admit it... Who here is guilty of picking up their TV remote and waved it around thinking you're playing a Revolution game?

I'm afraid I've done it...

Wile E Coyote

Wile E Coyote

• Members
  • 1,284 posts
Wow, the possibilities are endless. This is the first time that I have been exited to see whats upcoming from nintendo since the NES came out.

Sixstrings

Sixstrings

I'm still here?

• 2,773 posts
This is really interesting. This could change the scope of a lot of things.

Though it will be a lot different for us old farts who played Space Invaders in the arcade when it was new.

Link

Link

The Terrible Secret of Space

• Admin
  • 6,448 posts
Interesting? Yes. Innovative? Yes. Awkward looking? Yes.

I'm not sure about this yet.

George

George

Filed and monitored

• Members
  • 18,023 posts
I like the idea of the motion contols, but in that design, the right thumb can't reach all of the buttons at the same time.

MegaManX

MegaManX

Bionic Swinger

• Members
  • 623 posts
I disapprove, I would rather have a NORMAL controller. The GC/PS2/Xbox controllers all are very comfortable, I have no problems whatsoever with them, but...this...is ridiculous!! I can't believe Nintendo would do such a thing :(. And the video that was given only shows people moving the Remote around, I didn't see any actual gameplay, so it doesn't support how well it is played, and such. I'm having doubts about this now...

qui kal jinn

qui kal jinn

Take to the Skies

• Members
  • 3,549 posts
Nintendo have come up with a truly revolutionary
idea. Looks great fun but i think that the normal controller would outsell it. People may not have space to swish a remote around. Its an amazing idea though.

Lost

Lost

• Members
  • 4,882 posts
WOW Almost more surprising than the controller itself is y'alls positive reaction to it. Wasnt expecting that.

My initial reaction was just sheer speechlessness, how do you react to that. But to be honest, seeing the video Darth D posted I may actually have some hope yet. Perhaps Nintendo hasnt gone as insane as I feared. Make a lightsaber game indeed.

Im afraid that this may be suicide though, imagine how many multiplatform games there will be. I hope Nintendo just releases a regular controller and doesnt force developers to use remote control. Something more interesting would be players cooperating, one controlling a character with a regular controller, and another using the remote.

Lost

Lost

• Members
  • 4,882 posts

MegaManX:
I disapprove, I would rather have a NORMAL controller. The GC/PS2/Xbox controllers all are very comfortable, I have no problems whatsoever with them, but...this...is ridiculous!! I can't believe Nintendo would do such a thing :( . And the video that was given only shows people moving the Remote around, I didn't see any actual gameplay, so it doesn't support how well it is played, and such. I'm having doubts about this now...

Well it doesnt show actual gameplay, but its pretty obvious whats going on. They cant show gameplay because they dont have it ready yet, and it would just look bad if they used stick figures or Gamecube graphics to represent gameplay on the revolution. Besides, when you see someone swinging the remote around, and you hear swords clashing, its pretty obvious whats going on.

I agree this is weird, and I certainly have my doubts, but Smash Bros is a revolution launch title.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
Inititally, :confused:

Then, hmmm

Thought a little bit more about it, clicked on the demo vid link and

Awww, Yeahhh... thumbs_u

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Second thoughts...

It's not Revolutionary.

It's gimmicky.

In fact there are gimmick controllers available on the market now that use motion detection.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts

Lost:
Besides, when you see someone swinging the remote around, and you hear swords clashing, its pretty obvious whats going on.

The bit near the middle, with the white dude making like pulse blasts or whatever... That whip-chain sound effect made me immediately think of Castlevania...

Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Taking on DANGEROUS curves

• Members
  • 537 posts
I hope playing this thing isn't much of a workout. Sometimes at work I lift heavy things, as a result I get home with sore arms, and the last thing I want to do is be swinging my arms around after a long days work.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I still don't understand why they had to shape it like a remote control. Reaching those bottom buttoms seems incredibly cumbersome and almost impossible while playing a game. The whole motion sensor thing sounds really cool, its just manipulating the buttons on the wand in a practical manner is something I'm not grasping yet.

Sephi

Sephi

Curse you Frances, curse you

• 18,789 posts

Jason Solo:
I still don't understand why they had to shape it like a remote control. Reaching those bottom buttoms seems incredibly cumbersome and almost impossible while playing a game. The whole motion sensor thing sounds really cool, its just manipulating the buttons on the wand in a practical manner is something I'm not grasping yet.

Those buttons aren't necessary when you have the trigger button as B and the thumb button as A.

gescom7

gescom7

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Jason Solo:

if you turn the think -90degrees it would work for old NES games.

Positively Kanyon

Positively Kanyon

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
I've been struggling to think where I have seen this before (Revolution Controller) as it seemed awfully familiar, then it finally dawned on me!

I was recently on holidays and if you've flown Singapore Airlines, then you would know what "Krisworld" is.

The controller setup is virtually exactly the same and you hold it the same way. The D-Pad controls movement through menus and then you can flip it sideways to play video games.

Durty D

Durty D

Star Wars nerd

• Members
  • 5,919 posts
http://images.google...cts/727_big.jpg

Durty D

Durty D

Star Wars nerd

• Members
  • 5,919 posts
Just a google image search on 'egg vibrator'

A Munkeys Uncle

A Munkeys Uncle

• Members
  • 15,724 posts

Sephi:

Sephi:

Those buttons aren't necessary when you have the trigger button as B and the thumb button as A.

There is a trigger on the back of the remote, you can't see it from these pics.

Lost, I agree. At first I wasn't too sure, but when I found out it worked like a remote mouse I liked it. Basically it's point and click as a pointer you would use doing a Power Point presentation, and that should work very well looking around in FPS's in configuration with the left analog stick to move. I like analog sticks a lot more than W, S, A, D, and the it will have the precision of a mouse at the same time, probably even better because it will react as fast as a laser does. Then you have the clicking of the analog stick for crouching, a trigger for shooting, you keep the rumble, and the other buttons. It's very promising, I really don't think Nintendo would bomb on this thumbs_u In my opinion they really lost their innovation with the GC, as far as hardware goes. They did a great job with the N 64, but lacked third party support of games, and didn't come out with a "ton" of first party games either. I'm excited for the first time since the launch of the N 64, the Cube really only brings me RE in terms of interest, maybe Zelda.

Jaded Jedi

Jaded Jedi

• Members
  • 590 posts
Am I the only one to realize that this will make SNES games near impossible to play?

Jaded Jedi

Jaded Jedi

• Members
  • 590 posts
I just realized one more thing. There's obviously talk of Zelda coming out and there's the Star Wars lightsaber game theory. The beauty of Revolution will be that I don't think any game will EVER get repetitive.

Look at it this way. Playing a hack and slash adventure game gets old by defeating the same enemies by pressing the buttons. But imagine Zelda where you can swing left, than right, then stab, stab, stab, pull back and do an uppercut slash. I honestly think that even the mundane task of killing an enemy will never get boring because that level of interactivity is so fun.

Jaded Jedi

Jaded Jedi

• Members
  • 590 posts
IGN's mock up of the "shell." Damn that's ingenious way of playing conventional style games. Take that to those afraid of ports.

http://cube.ign.com/...1/651559p1.html

Posted Image

Reply to this topic