Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Official Battlestar Galactica New Series Discussion (Spoilers)

1618 replies to this topic

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,892 posts
"Act of Contrition" was a little heavy though. Still love the show, and obviously the situation/story is rather gloomy, but the show could use a shot of adrenaline. The 30 seconds of dog-fighting was cool, but up to this point there has been nowhere near enough of it.
Too many head to head scenes of glum, jaw-clenching minimalist acting between people in corridors is starting to get grating.

They need to open up the show a bit.

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,892 posts
I DO like the direction of the next episode though, which looks to emulate the fantastic old episode where Starbuck and a Cylon are marooned on a planet.

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,892 posts
WHoah, the Cylon Raiders are, like, alive!?!?!

Morgan Freebase

Morgan Freebase

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
I saw it today it was terrible. Why is Starbuck a girl? An ugly girl at that-- but that's besides the point-- why is she a girl?

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Indigenous Sith

• Members
  • 14,363 posts
The rescue of Starbuck episode was awesome! I practically cheered out loud when I saw the words "Star" and "Buck" on the wings of that Cylon Raider. Her character frickin' rules! And this was an ingenious episode. thumbs_u

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Th making of Starbuck a girl can lead to other complications in the plot-lines ahead...However for almost the first time these a godd complications.

The Cylons being alive is a great thinker too

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,892 posts
How she'd be able to figure out how to fly it is reaching a bit AND she was able to outmaneuver her pursuer?!?!?!

Still enjoyed it.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
She's Starbuck!!! Thats all that you need to know!!!

Morgan Freebase

Morgan Freebase

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
I don't know. They should've just got the guy from the A-Team.

jedi elf

jedi elf

• Members
  • 503 posts
I loved those episodes. (I cheered too when I saw Star Buck on the wings).
I thought it might have been a little off for her to fly the raider just as well as a viper, but it still made me really appreciate her flying ability.

KyrieElieson

KyrieElieson

• Members
  • 486 posts
katee sackhoff is frackin' amazing! she's an incredibly talented actress who brings incredible depth to the character. starbuck is by far my favorite character in the show. i too looked a little askance at the idea of starbuck as a woman, but i *like* the direction that allows the show to go. the show's as much a drama as a science fiction program, and starbuck opens up all kinds of possibilities for the story line.
this show is fantastic! i mean i read all the spoilers, i know what's going to happen every week, and i'm still on the edge of my seat gnawing on my fingernails, cheering when there are victories, cursing defeats. i love science fiction and i love character driven television, and this is both! haven't been this excited about a tv show since the x-files and farscape.

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,892 posts
She's good in the role, although I personally find her a little bit unlikeable.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,398 posts
Okay.. after hating the miniseries, i tuned it last night for the marathon and I will admit to having been sucked in a bit.

I like the set-up of the show a lot, how it keeps in with the old show, but also is a bit more current.

My only complaint thus far is that the stories seem a tad topical. I'm not seeing anything ingenius or new-- but the characters and acting are a lot more solid in the miniseries and I think that holds me. But it is early, and they have room to grow.

I think i might be onboard...

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,892 posts
What did you hate about the mini-series?

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
'Sides all of it..?

Light-Sith

Light-Sith

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

Blade Runner:
What did you hate about the mini-series?

Yeah... I skipped it as a protest for Farscape's cancellation. I haven't seen it, but so far the series has been the best thing on TV.

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts
I think that the thing that sets this series apart from other sci-fi series is the way the relationships between the characters is being developed. There is nothing that original in the overall stories, effects, etc.. but the character development and how they interact is is superb and more on par with "serious" dramas than previous sci-fi series.

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,892 posts
The show is certainly a little more grounded in realism (relatively speaking ofcourse) when compared to some of the other more ultra-fantasy-alien shows we've had.
We can relate to these characters more than we can Klingons, Romulans, "insert alien species, etc.
The Cylon threat is basically the equivalent of a planet killing virus that's spreading.

Basically, when I see a moment of Star Trek and Farscape, etc. etc., I'm immediately reminded that this is faar removed from reality, total fantasy in look, dialogue and feel.
However, much of BG reminds me of "Das Boot" or "Apollo 13," and the like.

jedi elf

jedi elf

• Members
  • 503 posts
Good news....

SCI FI Channel has ordered a second season of its hit series Battlestar Galactica, which has aired five episodes of its first season of 13 episodes. Details of the renewal—including which cast members will return, how many episodes will be produced and when the second season will commence—were still being worked out at press time.

http://www.gateworld...estargala.shtml

:) :) :)

Ven Halcyon

Ven Halcyon

King of the Nerds

• Members
  • 10,940 posts
I don't get why this story has only just been released? I knew there was a second season ages ago!? Maybe its something to do with the British sponsorship...?

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,892 posts
Just because there was going to be a 2nd season in the UK, doesn't mean the show was going to be picked up again in the US.

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Indigenous Sith

• Members
  • 14,363 posts
Last night's episode was not quite as good as the shows up to this point. I wasn't that excited about the whole "overzealous prosecutor creating a witch-hunt" motif. I've seen that used many times before (on other TV shows) to better effect than it was used here. Particularly when they put the Commander on the stand, I just wasn't digging it, because it seemed contrived.

Overall, BG is great, but this episode wasn't one of the better ones.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts

Ven Halcyon:
I don't get why this story has only just been released? I knew there was a second season ages ago!? Maybe its something to do with the British sponsorship...?

Has the 2nd season been showing??

the trumpet player 2

the trumpet player 2

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
Ye bunch of lemmings.

I posted loads of positive comments on this series way back and got laughed at for doing so...by everybody. Now someone else here says it's good and you all jimp on the bandwagon.

Seriously though, it's a good show, the best Sci Fi on TV, I think because it avoids over the top scenarios such as crap aliens and crap concepts.

I taped every episode in the U.K. and missed the last one while I was in the U.S. I may by the series on DVD when it comes out next month.

My sister bought me the old series on DVD for Xmas. I've been watching them and I am about 2 thirds of the way through it all. Some of it is unbearable to watch.

Light-Sith

Light-Sith

• Members
  • 3,262 posts
Well, I can't blame anyone for being skeptical about the series. I just got done watching the mini-series ten minutes ago. It was pretty weak until the very end. The series, however, is much better. I'm surprised, to say the least. However, is still has a while to go until it can reach the quality of the other sci-fi shows that recently left the air. I'm sure it'll be fine, though.

Oh, and that space battle at the end of the mini-series: Pure awesomeness. Almost makes up for the first half.

Reply to this topic