Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Official Battlestar Galactica New Series Discussion (Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
1618 replies to this topic

Positively Kanyon

Positively Kanyon

• Members
  • 1,095 posts

the trumpet player 2:
Not to mention the best. It blows crap like Stargate, Farscape and Space and Beyond out of the sky.

I highly doubt that... Stargate is like the new sci-fi franchise, and I will not hear you talk smack about my favourite TV show!

KanMutwallo

KanMutwallo

• Members
  • 1,602 posts
Once I found out that Starbuck (My favorite character) was a girl I never gave this revamped series the time of day. :mad:

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Hwey a gender swap is no reason to be hateful of the new series, it is quite ggod.

the trumpet player 2

the trumpet player 2

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
Having a female starbcuk is so much more interesting than having a male, we don't want 70's Starsky and Hutch type of stuff in space no more.

They've made her female for good reason, She and Apollo I think will develop a 'will they won't they get together' type of thing developing later on.

The storylines between those two and Adama are far more interesting, as she was once engaged to Adamas other son who was killed. He died in the original version too, but in a less interesting way. It's Starbucks fault he died now, and there is this very human, family oriented story going on against the backdrop of Sci Fi and war. Something lacking in other Sci fi shows, I know it's soap opera-ish, but thats what makes drama, thats what made Star Wars what it became.

Sorry Kanyon, but this show has class, Stargate is second rate drivel.

KanMutwallo

KanMutwallo

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

quote:

She and Apollo I think will develop a 'will they won't they get together' type of thing developing later on.

That's why I don't watch it. I never sat and watched the original thinking "This is good, but if only there was some sexual tension between the two."

Starbuck is a guy. You can't do a remake of Star Wars 20 yrs from now & just because you feel like it make yoda a girl.

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Indigenous Sith

• Members
  • 14,363 posts

KanMutwallo:
You can't do a remake of Star Wars 20 yrs from now & just because you feel like it make yoda a girl.

Actually Lucas has been there and done that already.

Yaddle is the "girl yoda" in Episode I...
Posted Image

Light-Sith

Light-Sith

• Members
  • 3,262 posts
Dude, that's a great pic of her I've never seen it before.

the trumpet player 2

the trumpet player 2

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
That's why I don't watch it. I never sat and watched the original thinking "This is good, but if only there was some sexual tension between the two."

Starbuck is a guy. You can't do a remake of Star Wars 20 yrs from now & just because you feel like it make yoda a girl.

quote:

But they did and it worked, (with Galactica anyway). It's not like starbuck or any of the characters in the old show where great icons or anything. If your going to let something like that hold you back from watching a great series then your missing out. Ignorance isn't bliss.

Lanther

Lanther

• Members
  • 52 posts
Loved the original Mini Series they did can't wait for the series to start here. I never saw much of the original series so I can't really make a comparison between the two

Guest_arctic7_*

Guest_arctic7_*
  • Guests
I felt the same way when i first heard about it "Starbuck a guy? WTF", but I just finished watching all 10 seasons and I gotta say... It was great :P

Thumbs up to sky one for getting this going with scifi.

Ven Halcyon

Ven Halcyon

King of the Nerds

• Members
  • 10,940 posts
Yeah, very impressed with the series so far, it's progressing rather nicely!

Guest_The Wicked God Thanos_*

Guest_The Wicked God Thanos_*
  • Guests
nothing related here, but I found out that Lorne Greene Died on September 11, 1987. I though that was interesting.

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts
I watched the two premiere episodes tonight. Very interesting stuff. The way I see this series is if BattleStar Galatica grew up with the first generation of fans. I liked the show when I was a kid but it was pretty cornball by today's standards. This show is exceptional in it's own merits. The acting, writing, and effects are top notch. The mini-series was pretty good but I think the series is already improving on that. I'm looking forward to see where they take this series.

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

'Member' of the Month.

• Members
  • 6,892 posts
I thought the series premiere (US) tonight was fantastic. Definitely going to be hooked to this series.

Immediately outclasses all of the other scifi stuff, Farscape, Stargate, whatever Trek series is still running, etc.

Good use of tension by way of constant Cylon forebodement. Keeps everything edgey and fluctuating.

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Indigenous Sith

• Members
  • 14,363 posts

Blade Runner:
I thought the series premiere (US) tonight was fantastic. Definitely going to be hooked to this series.

Yeah, me too. They are doing a good job with this show and definitely taking it a step beyond what was done with the original Battlestar Galactica.

darth entmoot

darth entmoot

WWFSMD?

• Members
  • 2,314 posts
i was a little annoyed when i first heard about the battlestar galactica mini-series, but i watched it and i thought that it was sooo different from the original series that it was like a new one to me, and usually i hate remakes of good movies and shows

Ven Halcyon

Ven Halcyon

King of the Nerds

• Members
  • 10,940 posts
Yeah, whilst some die hard old BG fans hated the fact they changed so much, the fact it HAS changed so much, makes it all that much more watchable!

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• 19,360 posts
I agree completely with Ven Halcyon.

Not to ruffle any feathers here, but I thought the original series was stupid (at least Buck Rogers had the good sense to play up its campiness), so I'm glad they didn't get their way and the series has been "re-imagined". I saw all the angry, whiny letters-to-the-editor the Sci-Fi channel got when this show changed hands about how they were ruining it and destroying some legacy (BG had a legacy? what?!?), and I'm relieved they had the sense to tell those people to go drool elsewhere.

Because of my lack of affection for the original series, I skipped the mini-series when it first played, but so many people I know commented that it was highly entertaining (even non-science fiction fans), I gave it a chance when it replayed this morning, and I was really shocked at how much I enjoyed it!

Hokey moments aside, I was surprised most pleasantly. I even caught the first two episodes they showed after the mini-series (and that's saying a lot, as I have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to television)!

I like the characters, and even better, I like how their interactions became more important than the actual story after the mini-series -- much like a good episode of TNG. The designs ('cept for that lame "Cylon Jammer" ship) and FX were pretty cool too.

It's nice to be surprised in a positive way by a show for once, rather than let down.

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• 19,360 posts
Sure, he's mending fences because he's the only original BG guy to have a recurring role on the show so far (plus, he was always so vocally against a "re-imagining" of the series), but still, sincere or not, the sentiment from Richard Hatch holds true:

quote:

"...I would never want to see any show fail, and in this case I think its time to move out of taking sides and going to war over which show is better and should have been done. I would rather fight for something than against something, and I don't think you have to hate this new show in order to be a dedicated Battlestar fan. I think you can love the original show, and at the same time appreciate this new show for what it is, and what it will be. At the same time, you can keep your heart open and your support for bringing back the original show, which in my heart I would love to see one day. At this point, I don't have ownership, so it's not in my hands. However, I think that this new show is in very good hands. It has a lot of very creative and talented people behind and in front of the camera and I believe that the next 13 episodes will prove that."

Rogue 3

Rogue 3

Who is Number 1?

• 2,675 posts
Really enjoying the series. The final episode is shown next monday. Good stuff. Don't want to give away too much for those in the US who haven't seen it yet, but you should watch it.

Ven Halcyon

Ven Halcyon

King of the Nerds

• Members
  • 10,940 posts
Hell yes you should! The Final episode next week - are they going to be doing a second series, or is this just a one series thing!?

Ven Halcyon

Ven Halcyon

King of the Nerds

• Members
  • 10,940 posts
Definitely not just a one series thing!

Question is...how long do we have to wait!?

Rogue 3

Rogue 3

Who is Number 1?

• 2,675 posts
Man what a final episode. Have really enjoyed this series, and hope they rerun it sometime soon.

What a cliffhanger!!

Ven Halcyon

Ven Halcyon

King of the Nerds

• Members
  • 10,940 posts
Yeah - very good. Something else i have to avoid spoilers for, lol Though hopefully we'll get it first, :)

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Sinister Lord Degiya'goh

Indigenous Sith

• Members
  • 14,363 posts
Tonight's episode (the one where Starbuck trains the new pilots) on the Sci-Fi Channel was great. I think there's actually a hell of a lot more depth to Starbuck's character in the new BG than there ever was in the original BG, so I think all the criticism about the character being changed from male to female is rather beside the point. The bottom line is that it's a better character, so the change of gender really doesn't matter.