Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

But the Doctor doesn't like guns
Totally depends on the writer. If there is a hard and fast rule about the Doctor and guns, it is that they're bad when he says they're bad, but they're OK when he uses them.

For example, Doctor Four talks about hating guns and not using them, then a few episode later, he dresses up like some kind of Sherlock Holmes/Elmer Fudd lovechild and shoots himself a giant rat!

Doctor Six is even more schizophrenic. In the same episode, he says "Guns bad!" only to end up blasting the Cybercontroller...

:eek:

I agree on wishing the archived control room was one of the classic ones... Sure would have been a cheap set to build! Also bummed that this is the first time in the newer series we've seen the interior of the Tardis outside of the control room and all we saw were stupid halls!

I agree on wishing the archived control room was one of the classic ones... Sure would have been a cheap set to build! Also bummed that this is the first time in the newer series we've seen the interior of the Tardis outside of the control room and all we saw were stupid halls!

Neil Gaiman wanted to use an older control room but budget constraints and lack of contact with older producer meant that they couldn't:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/may/16/neil-gaiman-doctor-who-doctors-wife?commentpage=1#comment-10775927

I still think it would be cheaper to build one of the simple white small control rooms from the old series than to store the giant Eccelsin/tennant control room

It was already up in the Doctor Who Exhibition in London so I think they filmed in there.

I do hope Gaiman writes again, but he has said he'll only do it if he thinks the script is better than this one

Those were great lines, MG. I adore the "did you wish really hard" one.

And yeah I totally agree with Tank that it would seem more cost effective to build a simple, small room from the 80s than storing that gigantic room from the new series. But then again I guess I have to wonder what my basis for comparison is.

Speaking of Tardis CRs, I've always had a desire to create one using the old Star Trek TOS bridge design style as a template for the tech. It'd still be the Tardis control room, but like it was made out of that tech... if you can picture that. I think it'd look like all sorts of coolbeans. Not really for an actual usable piece in a show, but just for the geekiness of it.

Favorite lines:

"Another Ood I failed to save." is so throw-away it cracks me up.

Gaiman commented he had a scene with Rory in the Zero Room. But, alas, budget constraints.

And here's a mention of the show from Neil's blog.

Are full scripts available, before they're whittled down to shooting scripts? While their canonicity would understandably be questionable it would make for a richer, fascinating read. There's a website (I can't recall th name) that has different colors denoting the accuracy of canon details.

Seriously. I'm pretty sure I've seen fan-made stuff that rivals the production qualities of the Pertwee to McCoy-era TARDIS control rooms.

:eek:

i'm pretty sure, no joke, you could build Tom Baker's control room for under $1000.

Yeah, I want a TARDIS episode. I want to see a bunch of rooms. Given some of the sets they've made before I don't think it would be impossible at all. They could even redress existing locations.

You guys should really check out the Confidential episode.

Gaiman describing rooms in the TARDIS: "It (the Tom Baker-era sick bay) looks like an old brick Victorian hospital. Perhaps because they were filming inside an old brick Victorian hospital."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.