Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Bottom line, I like the new interior. I'm just not sold on how they'll explain the change. Rumor has it that the TARDIS regenerates too. My personal jury is still out on that one. I guess it's going to come down to how it's explained.

I thought that was a given. Of course, any material I find to support that is apparently apocryphal.

Not to my ideal yet for the control room, but waaay better than the "coral." Somehow, it feels a little retro and familiar.

Well it's been implied for ages the TARDIS is alive in some ways. It's appearance can change vastly, and it seems to often self-repair itself. I don't find it that apocryphal that it could repair itself whilst "changing the desktop theme" to make a new interior.

Plus-- does it REALLY effect anything if it is a little apocryphal?

Just saw Matt Smith on Friday Night With Jonathon Ross. Well, his persona sure is intelligently spastic enough to birth a neat Doctor. But I have another thing to add to the negative side of the list; Matt Smith has an unbelievably annoying habit of loudly sucking air into his lungs thru his mouth right before he starts to talk. It is so very noticable and so very annoying.

More on the positive side: Matt showed off the new sonic screwdriver, it looked neat. Also he confirmed the Tardis has multiple levels, which we knew, but yeah neat to hear anyway. Also Matt said that the Tardis has multiple rooms, which we knew and is consistent with the past... but again cool to hear. He said two of the rooms are a library and a pool. Not sure if he was taking the mick on the last or not.

Another thing Matt said is he wants to be the Doctor for at least another season and is attempting to convince the show runners that his Doctor's look could evolve... meaning wardrobe wise, but it gives me hope that Amy might give him a make over. Anyway, Matt specifically mentioned he'd like to try a look with a hat. [shrugs]

Lastly, I dunno what the deal is but even though at times it looks like Matt doesn't have eye brows he actually does. It's just that his eye brows are incredibly thin, almost makes me think they are tweezed or something. [shrugs]

just watched it

sold!

took about 5 mins to accept him as the doctor

his age isn't an issue. he's a little bit like tennant without imitating him, but it actually explains why!

amy ponds good as well, although i'm probably a bit biased given she's one of my lot

my favourite line was when the doctor's trying loads of different foods to find something he likes now he's changed

"you're scottish, fry something"

absolutely loved it

new opening is meh :shrug:

smith is fantastic as is sexy red

so many quotable lines

also loved how smith stepped thru the final image of DT while saying 'I'm The Doctor' while seeing him in his doctor's appearance for the first

also interesting how he opened the tardis to let amy in, click of the fingers, so i guess we can safely assume that 11 is The Doctor that River Song was talking about

the silence is coming....

the trailer for the rest of the season looks amazing

That was complete fun. Not a single thing to criticize.

With every new Doctor I hope they have a long run and Smith is no exception. With the previews it looks to be a fun run. (Though the previews hole a pet theory Amy Pond = River Song.)

Tank, remember that link I gave you awhile back? Bookmark, man!

http://www.casttv.com/shows/doctor-who

My thoughts:

Not a very good opening but the theme is kinda funky.

Amy Pond=Awesome. The younger actress playing her actually LOOKED like her and did a good job too!

New TARDIS interior explanation: Openly vague and acceptable in this long-time viewer's opinion. It actually reminds me of the very first interior. The William Hartnell TARDIS actually had different rooms and layers in the control room too.

Matt Smith: Yes, he did a GREAT job...at playing David Tennant. This is what I was afraid of. He was cookey and wacky, then serious and dark and threatening. This could be a problem in the long run.

All in all, I enjoyed this story and enjoyed MS's performance. But, the spitting has got to stop. The food scene became nauseating after about the 3 minutes.

Thanks!

And I loved it!

I agree, he played the Doctor as crazy silly, then suddenly spooky dangerous... but I said the exact same thing as a complaint in Tennant's first episode cause that's what Eccelson was. I guess that's just the Doctor really, and it's the affectations that change.

I thought Matt Smith was great-- didn't come off as too young at all. He felt like the Doctor... I really loved him telling the Atraxi off, and the little montage we saw of all the Doctor's was a nice little geek out moment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but seeing McGann in that montage and hearing the cloister bells in the TARDIS canonized the 8th Doctor didn't it? I mean, I know it's widely accepted as canon, but isn't this the first time we've actually seen it referenced in the show?

I LOVE Amy Pond, so adorable. Plus, her backstory was one of the best. I don't doubt for a second that the "Raggedy Doctor" won't come back in to play. Shades of "Bad Wolf"... though there were a few of those moments actually.

I think the only things I can complain about are the terrible effects, not unusual for this show, but Tennant's specials over last year really seemed to upgrade a bit. Though I supposed that's what happens when you have the budget of a season for just for episodes. The only thin I really disliked was the new opening. Thought the music was terrible and the visuals clunky.

I'm ignoring that opener. It seemed to tie into the immediate scene so I'm kinda thinking it doesn't stay.

(And new openers always send me back to YouTube to rewatch all the previous ones. Every time.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but seeing McGann in that montage and hearing the cloister bells in the TARDIS canonized the 8th Doctor didn't it? I mean, I know it's widely accepted as canon, but isn't this the first time we've actually seen it referenced in the show?

His faced was sketched in the Doctor's notebook as John Smith in "Human Nature":

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/Past_Doctors_section.jpg

His faced was sketched in the Doctor's notebook as John Smith in "Human Nature":

And another montage was shown during "The Next Doctor" (the first of the Tennant specials). So, Doc 8 has been cannonized twice before "The Eleventh Hour."

Matt Smith: Yes, he did a GREAT job...at playing David Tennant. This is what I was afraid of. He was cookey and wacky, then serious and dark and threatening. This could be a problem in the long run.

All in all, I enjoyed this story and enjoyed MS's performance. But, the spitting has got to stop. The food scene became nauseating after about the 3 minutes.

Completely agree. I really enjoyed the episode - it was good fun and had some nice little quirks to it, but the doctor needs to be different, not just playing Ten. Liking Amy Pond though.

Also, wibbly wobbly timey wimey is really annoying me. It was fine in Blink, but both mentions of it since then really make me grind my teeth.

Just finished watching Doctor Who Confidential (like a behind the scenes thing). A couple of things I got from it were:

- The little girl who plays Amelia is actually Karen Gillan's cousin which explains why they look alike. Apparently they had never met before the table read 6 months ago!

- About the 'Tennant-isms': There were a lot of references to the Doctor not having properly recovered from his regeneration yet and the point that he actually knows who he is now is when he steps through Tennant's face at the end. I think we're going to see a different Doctor throughout the series than we have done from the first episode. Quite honestly I think some of that stuff will have been written in there to ease the kids who adored Tennant into this new role of the Doctor. Eccleston's series wasnt exactly 'kid-friendly'; Tennants definitely felt a bit more commercial at times. We just have to go along for the ride for a while.

- Moffat is going to flip the series over. He made it pretty clear he really doesn't like how much modern-day London has featured in the last few series and wants to get away from all that. He called it "the series' own cliche"

Exactly. Patience is needed.

SciFi channel actually had some old-school Who in a marathon all Easter weekend. I managed to catch a couple. One Tom Baker (The Face of Evil - where he meets Leela for the first time) and about half an hour of The Two Doctors with Troughton and Baker. That is to say I only lasted half an hour of the episode, Baker was terrible and Troughton was a bit past his prime (s shame because I enjoyed his Doctor).

I've seen a couple of C. Baker stories before but none were as bad as that one! Also Peri was terrible!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.