Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Oh man. Geez. He makes me want to punch him. He's so young. And the look. Aw man. Damn it.

I hear ya. I'm already sick of his wide eyed, open mouthed surprise expression. Based on the last few minutes of EOT, the teaser trailer, and the Easter trailer, this is going to be his MO. Man, this new series better blow my knickers off or else I have a feeling this is going to go the way of Heroes and Flash Forward (that is to say, Gmans backyard digital grave) for me.

So, here we go. BBC America has an official date up: April 17

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/123/index.jsp

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah episode one was shown about a week ago to a select audience.

I'm still quite looking forwards to this season, as long as Matt Smith becomes his own doctor in time I'll be happy. It'll take some bedding in, but then so did Tennant. And Eccleston. And McGann. And McCoy. And Baker. And Davison. And Baker. And Pertwee. And Troughton.

EDIT: Just watched that second trailer and it looks pretty cool. I agree that we don't need too many more Dalek/Cyberman stories, but as long as they aren't the big bad enemies and take up about 50% of the episodes I can live with it.

Bah! Here goes...HUGE improvement over the coral console! That console was one of the few things I never liked about the new show. BUT, I still think the TV movie with Doc 7 and Doc 8 is the gold standard. To me, that's the console of a 900 year old time traveling scientist, part library, part laboratory, part control room, all with Gallifreyian markings. Hell, all of our vehicles have the Ford, GM, Toyota insignias. Why wouldn't the TARDIS have Gallifrey markings?

Bottom line, I like the new interior. I'm just not sold on how they'll explain the change. Rumor has it that the TARDIS regenerates too. My personal jury is still out on that one. I guess it's going to come down to how it's explained.

BUT, I still think the TV movie with Doc 7 and Doc 8 is the gold standard.
Yeah. For all the failings of that movie, there were some moments of beauty (such as the TARDIS), it had the best Doctor re-emergence scene (hey, you'd be pissed off if you had to regenerate in a morgue, too!), and I still think Paul McGann coulda made a GREAT Doctor. Oh well.

Of course, even with all the cheapo moments, the new series looks light years better than the original series, so I can't complain too much.

I'm gonna give the new kid a chance. There has yet to be a completely unlikable Doctor (even Colin Baker had his moments -- I swear!), and I'm sure that's the case here, too. He might turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

:eek:

Matt Smith was on TV the other night. They showed an excert from episode 6 'Vampires in Venice'. It looked pretty good.

He says it takes until around the end of the season for his Doctor to really come into his own, which is all we can expect really, and also that we have to watch carefully throughout the series as there are important clues hidden that will help explain things that happen in the last few episodes.

Very excited for this weekend.

I don't expect that. I feel tt should take one, maybe two episodes for the new actor as the Doctor to get his groove on. Every Doctor I've ever loved had it pretty much down by then. If it takes an entire season before this Doctor is 'his own man' then... ugh. And I'm saying that with feeling he pretty much had a new feel just from the regeneration scene. Oh sure many fans say he was just doing Tennant then, but I don't think so. It was more than Tennant. Not saying better, or worse, but it was more absurd and excitable and worked for his youthful appearance... and of course with the circumstances of his rebirth as well.

It took a season for Tennant to stop doing Eccelson. In fact, I almost bailed after his Xmas special cause I LOVED Ecceleson so much and Tennant seemed like a poor imitation. Like I said, I'm fickle. The exiting Doctor is always my favorite.

But compare any of the Doctors from their first episode to their last-- most all of them change. Maybe not Troughton or Hartnell with their shorter runs, but Pertwee started off a little manic and silly, and turned more theatrical; Tom Baker ended much darker than he started; Davidson became less Dark; Colin Baker got crazier; McCoy also got darker over time... I think it's sort of normal for them to find a new groove.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.