Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

I've heard the entire story is one big commentary on fandom. Did you get that vibe?

It was, but your man Russell Davies was keen to show them in a good light - a group of 5 having a good time until Peter Kay's character turns up!

So, how are folks liking David Tennant as the Doctor in the second season?

I think he's ok - a touch over the top with his love of the human race, but I haven't once thought about how Ecclestone would have done the episodes this year, so that's saying something.

"My man" RTD? Huh? I enjoy the new show but I think THAT's going a bit far.

BTW, did you ever even enjoy the classic series?

Loved the original series - don't think I've ever slagged off Doctor Who on this thread mate, I've defended it plenty.

I grew up at the tail end of Tom Baker and really only remembered his final few stories until I caught the earlier ones on tape. Peter Davison was my doctor - Caves of Androzani is still the best story for me from the all the series.

You're absolutely right. I was mistaking you for someone else. Sincere apologies.

You're alright mate!

I hear rumours that the final 2 episodes will feature at least 1 of the Doc's biggest enemies and maybe 2....

Really looking forward to that. I thought they did it really well last year with their cliffhanger and then a different trailer (only 30 seconds or so) each day until the final episode.

Well I think most people know the final baddies because of how Rose leaves.

Looks like Torchwood is bveing built up t a major plot point across the series too. Remeber what peter Kay said?

These are files from the Torchwood institute.

Also was Torchwood the key word that the PM used to shoot down the aliens in the Christmas Ep?

It was definitely mentioned - I remember it as the guy telling her that Torchwood were ready to use the weapon, but I may be wrong.

I did like the reference to the Bad Wolf virus in the last episode which wiped references to Rose and the Doctor from the web.

I thought the Bad Wolf reference was excellent also. I think I've noticed Torchwood references in almost all the episodes, except for a couple. The group in the last two-parter were from Torchwood also.

I can't make up my mind about the last episode - on the one hand I liked looking at the doctor from an outside point of view, but I missed the usual interaction. And the end was a bit.. well, creepy.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

That ending was great! Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

UKLK, people are saying this is best episode ever, including classic series fans who usually moan about the new series. What's yer take?

BTW, I'm up to Impossible Planet, about to watch Satan Pit. Series 2 is pretty great stuff!

UKLK, people are saying this is best episode ever, including classic series fans who usually moan about the new series.

You've got my interest Transducer X, could you go into more detail of your impressions overall of how the Classic series fans have responded to the new series. I haven't been around Outpost Gallifrey much these as I've wanted to minimize spoilers.

"Army of Ghosts" was an excellent episode - all set up nicely for the final episode "Doomsday" on Saturday! What a cliffhanger!

BIG SPOILERS in the hidden bit below for anyone who has not seen upto and including Army of Ghosts - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

[hide] So how will it end? We know this is Rose's last story, but does she die as they've been hinting at since The Satan Pit episode, or is it a "Darth Vader killed your father" type thing and that part of her dies with the events that happen in Doomsday meaning she stops travelling??

Good to see Mickey pop back - took me by surprise when he was just suddenly there! The trailer for next week showed that Pete (Rose's dad) has come through as well.

Plus there's the small matter of the Daleks v the Cybermen, with the Doctor and the Torchwood guys trying to avoid getting caught up in the middle! Man it's going to be good! Pity it's not a longer episode! [/hide]

Thats never the best episode ever. Not by a long shot.

The ending was superb, absolutely birlliant, but some of the rest was a bit weak.

Rougey:

[hide]This battle should be immense. The two of his oldest and most fearsome foes. They better do this right!!

I wasn't sure about how the Torchwood woman was acting, was she being evil? Or not??

Oh and we knew that thye'd be back, but how much of a stroke of genius is it to have the other dimensions Daleks come back! Opens all new possibilities.[/hide]

Secret...

[hide] Yeah I was wondering about her as well. There were 3 stages:

1. She started off evil - planning for Torchwood to take advantage of the Doctor and the Tardis.

2. She turned into a Bond villain, taking him round the whole place, showing him what they were planning, that kinda stuff.

3. Then she realised they were out of their depth when the Cyber's appeared and she is now on the Doc's side.

I wonder what will happen with her? I know the Torchwood series is set in Cardiff, but it seems to be a more nasty organisation that I had expected.

Liked the bits with the ghosts - the Weather style Ghost update on the tele, the Eastenders moment! Nice touches - don't think the last one will cross the atlantic though![/hide]

[hide]Yeah those were very nice touches.

Did you not see Doctor Who Confidential after it on Saturday? It was all about the Torchwood series and how it will work. They weren't giving anything away though, except that its set after 'Doomsday' and Torchwood had to move elsewhere.

I liked the earpieces too. Was a link for anyone who has watched the whole series in deatail before the Doctor explained it laster on[/hide]

UKLK, people are saying this is best episode ever, including classic series fans who usually moan about the new series.

You've got my interest Transducer X, could you go into more detail of your impressions overall of how the Classic series fans have responded to the new series. I haven't been around Outpost Gallifrey much these as I've wanted to minimize spoilers.

I'm a regular at OG, have the same handle over there. It's probably just as you expect: A small but vocal group who make huge, sweeping statements that the new series is "lacking" and "not proper Who". They then try to compare and contrast but come up empty. The only tangible arguement they can make is that they liked the old 25 minute serialized format better. Of course, that's bunk because it used to let the creators stretch out dreck like the "Green Death" for 6 weeks. But the classic series zealots will then claim they liked that leisurely pace and then you just start feeling sorry for them.

I loved the 1st to 7th Doctor run in the most part, but to be honest I watched most of the stories on tape rather than on the box.

For me, last year and this year's series have been really good and certainly has taken the UK by storm. It's very popular and gets really good press with the critics reviewing the days programmes, which is rare for Sci-fi.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.