Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Tried that once before - the Paul McGann movie in the 90's. Very poor film.

Anyway, let's not turn it into a whole UK v USA thing. The BBC does not have the kind of budget that the American production companies have, that is why they have to cut corners - last year's episode Boom Town being an example where the budget had pretty much gone, so the episode (which turned out to be a very good character piece) is just set in Cardiff and the Tardis - very cheap, but good all the same.

I think this series and last year's were of a very high quality. FX wise, they've been pretty good - the rubber suited Slitheen's last year is the only one that springs to mind as being very poor, but the Dalek and Cyberman episodes have been very good.

I remember seeing it, many many years ago. On a second viewing it might not be so bad. I wouldn't mind getting a hold of a copy, but then again they did have Julia Roberts brother and Paul MgGann in it.

Not turning this into a UK vs USA thing. The Americans just make better TV and film than us, and it has nothing to do with budget, they execute things better in terms of style, acting, directing and writing.

FX wise this show is an embarrasment if this is the best the BBC can give us. I watched it the other night, and it had these fying dragon type creatures. It's as if the animators havn't figured out yet how to apply motion blur to the 3D objects.

The Bluescreen work was very shoddy, and you don't need a big budget to sort that out. If your going to have live action and C.G.I. atleast light your subjects so they appear to be in the same environment. This has nothing to do with budget either, these people should know how to do this.

I give Dr Who two more series at most before it gets axed again.

1. No, just the things I said.

I know, but it seems like once you take out all the things you said, there's not really a lot left. You may as well just start a whole different show.

2. Thats OK if you enjoy it. I just see potential for something far better. But be aware, these type of shows are created to appeal towards the lowest common denominator, no offense, it's just a fact.

Cheers. Thanks for that, but you could hardly call my family lowest common denominator (except perhaps my youngest sister). My parents are both members of Mensa, and everyone has academic degrees (except my youngest sister, who is still at school anyway).

(I'm not saying this to brag, just to show that we do not typically fall under the lowest common denominator bracket)

3. Does your family conists of spotty teenagers who can't get girlfriends ? ;) I know of no families who would sit round and watch this.

Not in the least. Besides the fact that other than my dad, we're all female, most of us aren't even teenagers anymore (except the aforementioned youngest sister, and she has a fantastic social life)

We are, however, all science fiction fans, and I delight in mentioning that fact along with that I am a young, blonde, attractive female who doesn't look like a traditional 'geek' at all.

4. Totally wrong about the FX of Red Dwarf. Ofcourse the comedy came from the characters, as does all comedy. The crappy FX where made crap on purpose to add to the humour. If you don't beleive me go out and buy a behind the scenes video or something.

I know that already. Have seen behind the scenes things in the past, but I don't look at it and thing 'Wow, their effects are crappy, this must be funny!' Yes, it adds something to it, but it's not as funny (IMHO) as the characters and situations.

5. By the time Red Dwarf came to an end, they may have had better FX or bigger budgets, but the reason it got worse was because the writers where running out of ideas, and they got rid of one funny character (the actor got his own sitcom) and replaced him with a woman who just wasn't funny or well written.

Which sitcom are you thinking of, The Brittas Empire? That came some time before series 7 and 8 of Red Dwarf, and Barrie was back for series 8 anyway. I'm assuming that he's the one you mean, since the only other character to leave was male Holly, and he went at the end of series 2 and didn't get his own sitcom.

The problems started before then though, but the gap was most noticable between 6 and 7.

I agree though, that the writers were running out of ideas, and that was why the last two series sucked, not because production values were higher. Actually, that was my original point.

The Americans just make better TV and film than us, and it has nothing to do with budget, they execute things better in terms of style, acting, directing and writing.

Depends on the show. I've seen some utter pap come from the US side of the Atlantic, and some excellent stuff.

As I've said before, FX don't make a show for me. It could have brilliant FX, but if I don't like the rest of it, I won't watch. And if the FX are dire, but I still like everything else, I'll still watch and enjoy. Perhaps I'm unusual, but that's my preference.

Oh I'm gonna have a field day...

The people who talk about the FX work in Doctor Who, saying that it is amazing, are people who know nothing about visual FX and CGI. The FX work in Doctor Who is awfull.

Yes, the flying things in Fathers Day were crap werne't they. The mass production of ships in the final episodes were crap too I guess. The werewolf transformation is one of the best things I've seen done by CG on TV in a long long time.

I don't know if they want to keep it looking low budget purposely, as a nod to the old shows. If this is the case then those incharge should be fired. Doctor Who is a decent concept, but in my opinion it has always been poorly executed. Maybe this is because they have to keep it nice for kids.

The old style FX have been part and parcel of the show over the years, it doens't matter how good they are, its the story. We don't care if it looks good, if its crap we won't watch it.

Doctor who is a massive media hype. The BBC has put so much money into it that it has to win awards, such as it did recently at the BAFTA's for best drama....HA!

Name something better thats been prodcued in Britain lately. Because I can't

Billy Piper is always praised for her excellent acting skills, which in my opinion, any soap actor from East Enders could pull off. I read an article just the other day comparing her acting abilities with Starbuck in the new Galactica, saying Piper is far better, and does not have to resort to getting her kit off. What the **** are these people smoking ?

She's not the best actor true, but she has been getting better at least. The assistants have never been the best actors in the series. Look at Bonnie Langford, she was godawful, I hated her.

Each episode is typical TV drama formula, I have yet to see anything original or interesting come from this new show.

The Empty Child. One of the best original things to come up in these new series.

Dr Who was written for children, not the family. I can't imagine a family sitting around and wacthing something like this.
It really isn't written for Children...In the first few series Hartnell was trying to kill people that slowed them down as they crossed the jungles.

They should have an older and better actor like Tom Baker or Peter Cushing.
Why? Tennant and Eccleston do exceptional jobs, both bringing different things to the role. Why bring in an old Doctor Who? How do you explain that?

They should get rid of the Tardis looking like a police box, they don't use police boxes anymore, one of those things appearing somewhere would certainly attract attention.
Wheneevr you see a police box you think TARDIS. Even little kids recognise it. Its like getting rid of Ronald McDonald from McDonalds

Remember Dr Who was axed many years ago becuase of the very same reasons as mentioned above. All this Dr Who hype is manufactured by the BBC itslef. It's only a matter of time before people realise they are watching the exact same crap as they where 20 years ago only with CGI.

It was axed twenty years ago because the new Dirctor of the BBc at tat time didn't like Doctor Who. FACT

They should give Dr Who to the Americans. Even their worst stuff is better than our best stuff (in terms of production value). Let's face it, when it comes to serious drama, sci fi and film in general, we brits are a ******* joke to them.

That is a loads of utter rubbish. The Movie, as Rogue said, was embarrasing. utter rubbish. Oh and try telling the fact that Doctor Who is a ******* joke to the Americans who flock to Who conventions. They love it because of its BRITISHNESS.

Thats OK if you enjoy it. I just see potential for something far better. But be aware, these type of shows are created to appeal towards the lowest common denominator, no offense, it's just a fact.

As are most shows on TV. What isn't these days? The ******* Discovery Channel? I'm working class and proud of it, don't try to call us the lowest common denominater, because we're a damn sight more real than any posh rich bastards.

3. Does your family conists of spotty teenagers who can't get girlfriends ? ;) I know of no families who would sit round and watch this.

I don't know how to respnd to this. The fact it gets the highest ratings should tell you that lots of families tune into it.

FX wise this show is an embarrasment if this is the best the BBC can give us. I watched it the other night, and it had these fying dragon type creatures. It's as if the animators havn't figured out yet how to apply motion blur to the 3D objects.
I hope you realise that only you and about 10 other people in the UK care about this. We don't give a flying **** about 'motion blur'

I'll hold you to that.

:D QUOTE(the trumpet player 2 @ 26 May 2006, 11:35 AM)

1. No, just the things I said.

I know, but it seems like once you take out all the things you said, there's not really a lot left. You may as well just start a whole different show.

Maybe that would be better.

QUOTE(the trumpet player 2 @ 26 May 2006, 11:35 AM)

2. Thats OK if you enjoy it. I just see potential for something far better. But be aware, these type of shows are created to appeal towards the lowest common denominator, no offense, it's just a fact.

Cheers. Thanks for that, but you could hardly call my family lowest common denominator (except perhaps my youngest sister). My parents are both members of Mensa, and everyone has academic degrees (except my youngest sister, who is still at school anyway).

(I'm not saying this to brag, just to show that we do not typically fall under the lowest common denominator bracket)

Your welcome ;) But this show is made to appeal to that audience. One of my best friends has

post grad degrees in social science and history, is a professional magician and has written a published book on philosophy, and he loves the show.

Many of the most popular films ever produced are made for that bracket, some of my favourite all times films are too.

3. Does your family conists of spotty teenagers who can't get girlfriends ? I know of no families who would sit round and watch this.

Not in the least. Besides the fact that other than my dad, we're all female, most of us aren't even teenagers anymore (except the aforementioned youngest sister, and she has a fantastic social life)

We are, however, all science fiction fans, and I delight in mentioning that fact along with that I am a young, blonde, attractive female who doesn't look like a traditional 'geek' at all.

Well I wasn't being totally serious when I worte that, but all of the Dr Who fans I have met are pretty sad people who can't find girfriends and who have no social life. So your blonde and your an attractive female ? Let's meet :D geeks arn't all ugly you know.

4. Totally wrong about the FX of Red Dwarf. Ofcourse the comedy came from the characters, as does all comedy. The crappy FX where made crap on purpose to add to the humour. If you don't beleive me go out and buy a behind the scenes video or something.

I know that already. Have seen behind the scenes things in the past, but I don't look at it and thing 'Wow, their effects are crappy, this must be funny!' Yes, it adds something to it, but it's not as funny (IMHO) as the characters and situations.

No the bad FX aren't as funny as the characters and situations, but they are part of the comedy. In your original statement you said people did not complain about the shoddy FX in Red Dwarf, I answered the reasons why.

5. By the time Red Dwarf came to an end, they may have had better FX or bigger budgets, but the reason it got worse was because the writers where running out of ideas, and they got rid of one funny character (the actor got his own sitcom) and replaced him with a woman who just wasn't funny or well written.

Which sitcom are you thinking of, The Brittas Empire? That came some time before series 7 and 8 of Red Dwarf, and Barrie was back for series 8 anyway. I'm assuming that he's the one you mean, since the only other character to leave was male Holly, and he went at the end of series 2 and didn't get his own sitcom.

The problems started before then though, but the gap was most noticable between 6 and 7.

I agree though, that the writers were running out of ideas, and that was why the last two series sucked, not because production values were higher. Actually, that was my original point.

Yes I think it was The Brittas Empire, and he did leave Red Dwarf for that show, so I read. Red Dwarf probably took a lot longer to make than Empire, which I think ran for one season anyway.

The Americans just make better TV and film than us, and it has nothing to do with budget, they execute things better in terms of style, acting, directing and writing.

Depends on the show. I've seen some utter pap come from the US side of the Atlantic, and some excellent stuff.

As I've said before, FX don't make a show for me. It could have brilliant FX, but if I don't like the rest of it, I won't watch. And if the FX are dire, but I still like everything else, I'll still watch and enjoy. Perhaps I'm unusual, but that's my preference.

No FX don't make the show, but they could atleast improve their production skills. I was watching Space 1999 the other day on TV, the only half decent thing Jerry Anderson ever produced.

Again another ****** british Sci Fi creator, anyone ever see Space Precinct ? Anyway, I thought Space 1999, which was made in the 70's has far better production value than Dr Who, in terms of visual style, atleast.

Yes, Americans do make some crap, but they still do it better than us.

Oh I'm gonna have a field day...

The people who talk about the FX work in Doctor Who, saying that it is amazing, are people who know nothing about visual FX and CGI. The FX work in Doctor Who is awfull.

Yes, the flying things in Fathers Day were crap werne't they. The mass production of ships in the final episodes were crap too I guess. The werewolf transformation is one of the best things I've seen done by CG on TV in a long long time.

Yes they where crap. I havn't seen the werewolf tranformation so I can't comment.

I don't know if they want to keep it looking low budget purposely, as a nod to the old shows. If this is the case then those incharge should be fired. Doctor Who is a decent concept, but in my opinion it has always been poorly executed. Maybe this is because they have to keep it nice for kids.

The old style FX have been part and parcel of the show over the years, it doens't matter how good they are, its the story. We don't care if it looks good, if its crap we won't watch it.

Well some people do care if it looks good, and they should. I sometimes watch the old ones for a good laugh at the production values, but then when you do that you are wacthing things for the wrong reasons. I am sure the makers of the old show didn't want their audiences laughing at what they where doing. Even back when I was a kid I thought these shows looked bad. Especially after seeing Star Wars.

There is no reason why they should keep this style. I saw K-9 the other day, which really does look like it's been made by a pre degree sculpture student. If K-9 was a brand new concpept, beleive me, it would be designed to look far better, and would most likely be done in CGI.

Speaking of which I read an article that K9 will get his own series, and I saw a still of a much better looking K-9 that looked CGI.

Doctor who is a massive media hype. The BBC has put so much money into it that it has to win awards, such as it did recently at the BAFTA's for best drama....HA!

Name something better thats been prodcued in Britain lately. Because I can't

It's a matter of opinion which is better. I avoid BBC and ITV dramas, becasue I know they are ****.

Billy Piper is always praised for her excellent acting skills, which in my opinion, any soap actor from East Enders could pull off. I read an article just the other day comparing her acting abilities with Starbuck in the new Galactica, saying Piper is far better, and does not have to resort to getting her kit off. What the **** are these people smoking ?

She's not the best actor true, but she has been getting better at least. The assistants have never been the best actors in the series. Look at Bonnie Langford, she was godawful, I hated her.

Each episode is typical TV drama formula, I have yet to see anything original or interesting come from this new show.

The Empty Child. One of the best original things to come up in these new series.

Havn't seen it, but the rest are mediocre, and yes they are all written to a formula. Do they employ Sci Fi writers in this show ?

Dr Who was written for children, not the family. I can't imagine a family sitting around and wacthing something like this.
It really isn't written for Children...In the first few series Hartnell was trying to kill people that slowed them down as they crossed the jungles.

It still looks like a kids thing to me, and the show and books where originally written and made for children, I saw this confirmed on a Dr Who confidential.

They should have an older and better actor like Tom Baker or Peter Cushing.
Why? Tennant and Eccleston do exceptional jobs, both bringing different things to the role. Why bring in an old Doctor Who? How do you explain that?

Eccleston was ok, and Tennant just about get's away with it, but both actors do this wide eyed, wide grinned look ocassionaly, which I think is a reference to Tom Baker, it looks very forced and unnatural. He's supposed to be slightly eccentric, and to get that from an actor/character, it's usually more convincing if he is older. I guess they wanted a younger better looking actor to bring in a younger, female oriented audience, which has worked.

They should get rid of the Tardis looking like a police box, they don't use police boxes anymore, one of those things appearing somewhere would certainly attract attention.
Wheneevr you see a police box you think TARDIS. Even little kids recognise it. Its like getting rid of Ronald McDonald from McDonalds

Well if they came up with something else I am sure kids would grow to recognise that too. When was the last time you where out and about and saw a police box by the way ?

Remember Dr Who was axed many years ago becuase of the very same reasons as mentioned above. All this Dr Who hype is manufactured by the BBC itslef. It's only a matter of time before people realise they are watching the exact same crap as they where 20 years ago only with CGI.

It was axed twenty years ago because the new Dirctor of the BBc at tat time didn't like Doctor Who. FACT

And you can back up this FACT with evidence ? Sure there where fans, I remember a kid around here knocking on doors with a petition to keep the series running, who was laughed at becuase the other kids at the time I knew where not interested in Dr Who. But it was always laughed at, and everyone who liked where always laughed at too.

They should give Dr Who to the Americans. Even their worst stuff is better than our best stuff (in terms of production value). Let's face it, when it comes to serious drama, sci fi and film in general, we brits are a ******* joke to them.

That is a loads of utter rubbish. The Movie, as Rogue said, was embarrasing. utter rubbish. Oh and try telling the fact that Doctor Who is a ******* joke to the Americans who flock to Who conventions. They love it because of its BRITISHNESS.

Yeah, and they still like Monty Python. The Americans love anything british for some strange reason. There are Americans (and Brits) who love Stargate and Farscape but hate the new Galactica. Theres no accounting for taste. Some people are entertained by second rate crap, because their heads can't get around difficult concepts, or story's that are sometimes a little difficult to follow, that demand them to think...like the new Galactica.

Thats OK if you enjoy it. I just see potential for something far better. But be aware, these type of shows are created to appeal towards the lowest common denominator, no offense, it's just a fact.

As are most shows on TV. What isn't these days? The ******* Discovery Channel? I'm working class and proud of it, don't try to call us the lowest common denominater, because we're a damn sight more real than any posh rich bastards.

My statement had nothing to do with social class. I'm working class too.

I don't know how to respnd to this. The fact it gets the highest ratings should tell you that lots of families tune into it.

Doesn't this show come on right after the National Lottery has finished ?

I hope you realise that only you and about 10 other people in the UK care about this. We don't give a flying **** about 'motion blur'

Doesn't matter if you care about motion blur or not. If they applied it correctly it would look better, and the overall FX not so cheap. Honestly, it's like watching a fan film on the net sometimes.

If I was making/producing a show or film, with a so called proffesional crew, and it looked that bad I would die of embarrasment. If I was incharge at the BBC I would fire those who where responsible and replace them with CGI artists who know how to use their tools.

If you look back on this board, you will see a few comments from Americans who have nit picked at the visuals and low budget looking production of the show, so yes, some people do care. If the yanks didn't care about the visuals in their shows own then they wouldn't be as good.

I'll hold you to that.

OK

I've just spent far too much time responding to these posts, so I'm finishing here. Lets just say that I don't dislike the show, I think it's alright, and I do enjoy it. I just think with a different crew involved it could be far far better. There is no excuse in these days of modern post production techniques to produce work that looks so shoddy.

Man-- i didn't mean to get TP excommunicated!

Looking into it a bit further-- the NTSC to PAL transfer does create SOME artifacts, especially when things are in motion, but come UKLK.. those things in father's day weren't very good fx! At least not compared to anything I have seen on BSG for example...

but don't get me wrong-- I like the show!

Man-- i didn't mean to get TP excommunicated!

Looking into it a bit further-- the NTSC to PAL transfer does create SOME artifacts, especially when things are in motion, but come UKLK.. those things in father's day weren't very good fx! At least not compared to anything I have seen on BSG for example...

but don't get me wrong-- I like the show!

Ye nice one Tank, I fell ight into that one, ;) but I've got far more interesting things to do than argue pointless topics with a bunch of Dr Who nerds :D

What the hell?!? No Doctor Who on SciFi?!? The website still shows it for Fridays 9/8C! :angry:

Update:

http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3

The show is on hiatus for Sci-fi's Memorial Day Movie Marathon.

It will be back next Friday. Only two more episodes. What then? Will we get Series 2?

The big debate at gallifreyone.net is that no one knows if the show is performing up to Sci-Fi's standards since 1) we don't know what they paid for it and 2) we don't know what their expectations are for viewership numbers.

Also, Sci-Fi is now getting a cut of the US DVD sales. Some people feel that the DVD sales will have the biggest impact on whether Sci-Fi picks up Series 2; that the whole US run has basically been a commercial for the DVDs. Since it's priced sort of high this does not bode well.

3. Does your family conists of spotty teenagers who can't get girlfriends ? I know of no families who would sit round and watch this.

Well I wasn't being totally serious when I worte that, but all of the Dr Who fans I have met are pretty sad people who can't find girfriends and who have no social life. So your blonde and your an attractive female ? Let's meet :D geeks arn't all ugly you know.

I'm actually rather fond of geeks anyway ;) But unfortuntely I'm already taken and I don't think he'd be too impressed with me, lol :)

No the bad FX aren't as funny as the characters and situations, but they are part of the comedy. In your original statement you said people did not complain about the shoddy FX in Red Dwarf, I answered the reasons why.

Ah, I'd forgotton I'd made that point, lol.

Yes I think it was The Brittas Empire, and he did leave Red Dwarf for that show, so I read. Red Dwarf probably took a lot longer to make than Empire, which I think ran for one season anyway.

Can't have been for that reason though.... Brittas Empire started in 1991, which was around the same time as series 4 (?) of Red Dwarf, and definitely long before series 7 (which I think was about 1997?). Brittas Empire actually ran for 7 series (according to IMDb), up until 1997. The later ones weren't very funny though.

However, in a quick look at Barrie's entry, I've found a series called 'A Prince Among Men' which could be what you're thinking of though. I don't remember that one at all. Doesn't look like it was very good.

Can't have been for that reason though.... Brittas Empire started in 1991, which was around the same time as series 4 (?) of Red Dwarf, and definitely long before series 7 (which I think was about 1997?). Brittas Empire actually ran for 7 series (according to IMDb), up until 1997. The later ones weren't very funny though.

However, in a quick look at Barrie's entry, I've found a series called 'A Prince Among Men' which could be what you're thinking of though. I don't remember that one at all. Doesn't look like it was very good.

Which show did he do where he was working in a health centre, because I though that was 'Brittas', I also seem to remember it coming out long after 1991 too. I think it came out during my last year of college which was 97.

'The Brittas Empire' is what he left the dwraf for you're right. But only for Season 7 I think.

I liked the Fathers Day thingies. 'SCREEEEEEE' Ahhh such fun.

Two more episodes over there?? Which ones have you just seen?

Oh the reason that they are set on Earth, is to keep everyone interested . Next week over here they do travel to space though. PLus, as TP said, the BBC are tight arses with budgets these days. Gits.

Saturday's episode was not bad, but the last 2 have definitely been the weakest so far. Be interesting to see how the second part pans out - shades of Star Trek V where the build up to a "biblical" type being was ok but had a disappointing resolution.

What exactly looked awful about it? The set? The black hole?[/code]

The set looked like something you would find at a fair ground. You can get away with dodgy sets if you know how to light them, but then the BBC has always stuck with it's crappy lighting style.

The Aliens looked ok, from a design point of view (not original), but again, they looked like something you would find on a Ghost Train. The masks where no better or more convincing than something you woud find in a jokeshop.

The black hole wasn't bad, but when seen with the set superimposed over it, it looked like a flat Adobe After Effects image, which it probably was.

What looked really bad was the guy who got possessed, he had all these hyroglyphics (**** if I can be arsed looking up the spelling on that one), all over his hands and face. It reminded me of hellraiser, which was done in the 80's,and which looked 80 times better. Nothing to do with the budget, it's to do with the second rate make up and lighting people. The contact lenses looked like...well, contact lenses.

If David Tenant doesn't stop over doing it with the eccentric wide eyed facial expressions, his face is going to stick that way. Put him in the Curry.

Billie Piper is starting to remind me of Jade from Big Brother now too. Put her in the Curry too.

Infact, put the whole crew in the Curry and get some new talented people involved.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.