Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

• 2 weeks later...

Wild Blue Yonder (the second of the three 60th anniversary specials), was very good! Tennant & Tate masterclass - great fun seeing them both back together!

And a good ending to tease us into tomorrow’s story with the return of a villain last seen in the ‘60s, The Toymaker - played then by Michael Gough (superb actor probably best known as the Alfred to Michael Keaton’s Batman), and now played by Neil Patrick Harris.

And it’s now secret how it’s going to end with the 15th Doctor eager to finally get started on the Christmas special!

Ok, left it a few days to avoid spoiling things! 
Well, that was a finale to the 60th anniversary specials! NPH was mighty in the role of The Toymaker, a villain first (and last) encountered by the 1st Doctor in a story from 1966! Chewing the scenery with relish - good fun!

Good spooky moments with the dolls that I could see being scary for young kids, and great to see a former companion back.

The key “moment” was divisive as expected online, but it’s not totally brand new with elements on this topic having cropped up in both the 3rd and 4th Doctors final stories. I was happy with it and and can’t wait for the Christmas Day episode to see the start of adventures with 15!

The kid and I watched all three this eve. Overall I loved them. The second one especially.

There’s three kinds of Dr. Who stories— wacky scifi, scary monsters, and timey-whimey. Davies is great cause he not only leans into tjese, but also knows how to combine them.

This is why Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead is my fav story ever. It’s got them all.

Tennant was always great because he played The Doctor with that PTSD from the time war edge that would bring out a dark side. I was curious to see how that would play given that as a character, the Doctor has long since healed from this. Davies expertly subbed in the Timeless Child / Flux fallout to take its place.

It’s a long payoff to the thread started in the last anniversary special when Tom Baker returned and hinted that old faces might be revisited. Chibnall ran with it obviously.

I wish they’d been a little more clear on how it was 15 years for Donna (and what, 40ish for Mel), but from the Doctor’s POV it’s been at least a thousand years. Smith and Capaldi both had big time jumps during their runs.

I don’t know how I feel about the bi-generation. Lord knows they have changed the rules of regeneration many times, I’ve never understood the Watcher stuff from the 4th’s regeneration, and this was kind of the reverse of that?

Really it just felt like a way to keep Tennant in the wings whenever they need a boost and not have to explain why he’s getting older. The Doctor has run into himself multiple times, there’s at least six of him in Victorian London at any given time.This is no different only now they don’t have to explain why Tennant is aging.

It was also not too different from the other Tenth (.5) Doctor off with Rose in her dimension. Feels like a cheat. 

I have always thought it would be interesting to do regeneration mid-story and let the new Doc finish things out, so we sorta got that.

Loved the new Doctor’s energy and the fact he did it all without trousers.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

I don’t know how I feel about the bi-generation. Lord knows they have changed the rules of regeneration many times, I’ve never understood the Watcher stuff from the 4th’s regeneration, and this was kind of the reverse of that?

Really it just felt like a way to keep Tennant in the wings whenever they need a boost and not have to explain why he’s getting older. The Doctor has run into himself multiple times, there’s at least six of him in Victorian London at any given time.This is no different only now they don’t have to explain why Tennant is aging.

Absolutely. 40 years on and no one understands The Watcher! But that’s the show - keeping a bit of mystery in there as per the title, so that’s ok with me.
But I agree that eventually that’s what happens (whether we see it or not) as 15 says that he is fine now because of the rehab / semi-retirement that 14 goes through to get him out of the PTSD phase.
I am old school and prefer a normal regeneration, but I thought this was done well.

So he is there and can come back for a future story without the age being an issue, but to give Chibnall some credit, he found a creative way of doing that in his and Jodie’s final story.

15 was great fun in that final 20 mins or so - they are currently filming his second season, so all very positive we can have him in place for a good while! He sounds like he is loving it from interviews!

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you all had a good Christmas!

After all the fun with our family and seeing my 5 year old having “The best Christmas ever!”, was nice to settle down in the evening and catch up on the Christmas special - The Church on Ruby Road.

This was Ncuti Gatwa’s first full story as the 15th Doctor and introduced the new companion Ruby Sunday, played by Millie Gibson. Really fun adventure, a lot better than recent Xmas specials for sure. Lots of mysteries that RTD likes to sow the seeds for - who is Ruby’s mum, who is the Mrs Flood?

Strong guest appearances by Davina (recreating her role on her show about tracking down family via DNA), and Anita Dobson coming in as the reoccurring character who knows too much - fascinating look down the camera at the end! Very rare to break the 4th wall in this show!

For those overseas, the song was released as a single with all proceeds going the charity Children in Need. The additional elements for the song with the Doctor and Ruby adding their lines to the song was great fun!

Very nice festive treat! New series coming in May at long last! The specials have helped, but long overdue the new series!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.