Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

I take it this is the new Cybermen look?

CGI model and video clip

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/web...ion/index.shtml

...I like the new torso shell, it adds some impressive 'bulk', the hand seem a mite oversized though.

Are the Cybermen going to be all CGI now?

Oh, and as for the CGI Cybermats - they look great, the 'movement' their capable of as CGI creatures makes them seem more imposing.

Here's an article talking about the update with a picture:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/n.../10/26933.shtml

The pic is right in there with the text, so don't click the link if you want their appearance to be a surprise.

It actually doesn't look as bad as I thought from a few days ago, but it still seems too self-consciously retro.

Spoiler....

Apparently, they are rebooting the origin of the Cyberman this season. Their episodes are origin-based and take place on an alternate Earth as opposed to Mondas/Telos. It's strange, because the show is clearly in the same continuity as the old series so I'm curious how this will play out/tie-in.

Interesting.

Sounds iffy, but it's definitely workable. Even if the writers wuss out and come up with a really pedestrian "alternate" version, it's not like the cybers haven't tried to change the past (Earthshock) to create a better future for themselves...

And realistically -- even if things get changed around a lot, it's not a big deal for two reason:

1. Who alive has seen their original appearance? I read the book in gradeschool, but that's it... and I think the original tapes were destroyed, anyway. This isn't like Star Trek where a lot of people are going to be able to scour over the episode for continuity errors.

2. Doctor Who is already so riddled with continuity errors, getting worked up about them would be like complaining about a blue sky.

Pong Messiah:

Who alive has seen their original appearance?  I read the book in gradeschool, but that's it... and I think the original tapes were destroyed, anyway.  

Your dead right. All that remains of their first story, The Tenth Planet, is the final few minutes which shows Hartnells 1st Doctor regenerating into Troughton's second Doctor.

I think Russell T Davies has been pretty good so far in acknowledging Who's past, so I wouldn't be surprised if the story fits in nicely with the previous Cybermen stories.

All the "missing" episodes survive via audio recordings. Fortunately for us, there were enough fans who made recordings of the show that the BBC was able to completely assemble the audio for all the missing [and orphaned] seriels.

So if you're interested you can at least hear every Doctor Who episode the BBC made.

• 4 weeks later...
Rogue 3:

Rogue 3:

Who alive has seen their original appearance?  I read the book in gradeschool, but that's it... and I think the original tapes were destroyed, anyway.  

Your dead right. All that remains of their first story, The Tenth Planet, is the final few minutes which shows Hartnells 1st Doctor regenerating into Troughton's second Doctor.

I think Russell T Davies has been pretty good so far in acknowledging Who's past, so I wouldn't be surprised if the story fits in nicely with the previous Cybermen stories.

Not to to be jerk, but the exact opposite is true. The entire story exists EXCEPT for the regen, However, there is some really bad quality footage of the regen that is tacked onto the Tenth Planet VHS. It's interesting since it was the 1st regen.

Rogue 3 is right, from Ep. 4 of 10th Planet just some of the regeneration footage and a few other clips are known to have survived.

From www.GallifreyOne.com

quote:

Archive Status: The first three episodes of this story exist as 16mm telerecordings, all held by the Film & TV Library when audited in 1978. The master tape of episode 4 was lent to the production team for the series "Junior Points of View" in 1966; other copies of this episode were destroyed by 1976. Only the regeneration sequence remained, as borrowed for a spot on the "Blue Peter" series, though about 78 seconds of 8mm footage taped off air by a fan's film camera exists. Telesnaps (off-air camera photographs) from this story exist in both the BBC archives as well as the hands of private collectors. Episode 4 was originally thought discovered in 1992 when a fan claimed to have found it, though this was later established to have been a hoax. The extant footage from episode 4 (from both the 1996 Australian censor clips as well as off-air 8mm recordings) runs as follows:

Episode 4 The Doctor talking to Polly in the base. [0:04,0:02]

The Doctor addressing the Cyberleader in the base. [0:05,0:04,0:03,0:01]

Polly being menaced by a Cyberman's hand. [0:02]

Polly and the Doctor imprisoned inside the Cybership. [0:03,0:01]

Ben talking in the Cybership. [0:01,0:01]

The freed Doctor talking to Ben and then staggering towards the camera. [0:02,0:03]

The start of the regeneration sequence. [0:19]

The regeneration sequence. [0:27]

• 2 weeks later...

So all of the first three Eps are intact and some of Ep 4 is intact, including the regen. Super!

I am excited about this Friday! This is only the 2nd time (the TVM being the 1st) that the show is being aired nationally. We'll all be watching the same show at the same time. Seems normal to most folks, but for those of us that were fans in the 80s it was unheard of.

Transducer X:

So all of the first three Eps are intact and some of Ep 4 is intact, including the regen. Super!

I am excited about this Friday! This is only the 2nd time (the TVM being the 1st) that the show is being aired nationally. We'll all be watching the same show at the same time. Seems normal to most folks, but for those of us that were fans in the 80s it was unheard of.

Wait, that's NEXT Friday. Oops.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.